PDA

View Full Version : New Boat 4 Sled

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

sleddog
09-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Several dear sailing friends of 50 years have been in the line of fire of Hurricane Irma: Skeeter up the Miami River and Bud in Ft. Myers, just west of Irma's eye wall track. No news is presumably good news, as power and phones are down. Both friends had nearby cement hurricane shelters for retreat and presumably are emerging to the clear skies following Irma's passage.

Ironically, with the center of Irma passing up Florida's West Coast rather than East Coast, the counterclockwise wind preceding the hurricane center's passage was northeasterly, i.e. offshore. Which initially blew the water out of Florida and Tampa Bays, making for lowtide, rather than the high tide hurricane surge predicted.

Locally here on Monterey Bay, the Monterey Peninsula is back lit this morning by an almost continuous lightning show of a low pressure moving northwest, up the Big Sur Coast. Thunderstorms with brief heavy rain are forecast, and the orange juice sunrise does not belie that forecast.

On the subject of thunder, yesterday at noon a parade of Scottish pipers and drummers marched down the Capitola Esplanade during the annual end-of-summer Art and Wine Festival. As AH would confirm, the music of bagpipes is a heart racing, stirring, "going to war for Scotland," sound. The Festival came to a halt, and dozens joined in following the pipers parade to the nearby bandstand.

Some years ago at about this date, we were racing AMERICA JANE III in a coastal race from SF Bay to Southern CA. North of Pt. Conception we encountered similar tropical weather, and just after sunset the rigging began to glow green. As we were on a metal boat, with a metal steering wheel, this was disconcerting to say the least. The St. Elmo's fire lasted about 20 minutes before fading and nothing came of the experience, except nobody wanted to steer. I'd only seen St. Elmo's once before, when working on the masthead of the all black, Mull aluminum 50 footer LA FORZA DEL DESTINO in Miami, my tools began to glow.

My alarmed shout to Kim Desenberg, on deck below, contained no stutter hesitation: "Lower me down IMMEDIATELY!!"

.... .. .... ..

AlanH
09-12-2017, 01:03 PM
That's the Santa Cruz pipe band. I'm friends with two members..."member" being a rather loose term as the band sort of meets and sort of doesn't. Notice that they don't even all wear the same kilt.

AlanH
09-12-2017, 01:05 PM
The Ruby mountains in NE Nevada were a splendid find, with clear air, alpine lakes, and no crowds. Wildflowers were in full bloom at the end of August in the Rubys. Our campsite at 7,200 feet along a stream was pleasantly cool during the day when it was 98 degrees in Elko, 17 miles north. Hiking higher, at LeMouille Lake at 9,700 feet, we found snow and remnants of a glacier that had polished the cirque valley above Thomas Canyon.

The Rubys, rising from the high desert, are less than 50 miles long and the equal of anything I've seen in the Sierra, just on a much reduced scale.

Oh my...That's just lovely.

sleddog
09-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Good news from Key West: 54 six toed cats, descendants of Ernest Hemingway's original "Snow White," reputedly given to him by a ship captain, have survived Hurricane Irma at the Hemingway Home and Museum, along with 10 staff members. Good thing the three story residence is built of 18" thick limestone bricks, 16 feet above sea level, and has survived many hurricanes.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/54-cats-ernest-hemingway-old-010048650.html

sleddog
09-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Last stop on the Western States Eclipse Tour was Webber Lake in the Sierra, 17 miles north of Truckee. Webber Lake, in private hands for the last 100 years, has recently been donated to the Truckee/Donner Land Trust and opened to the public.

Webber Lake is surrounded by history and beauty and lies on the old Henness Pass trail, lowest pass in the Sierra. The lake waters were swimmable with sand beaches, and perfect for kayaking and SUP. Anything with a motor must be kept under 5 mph. Osprey and bald eagles flew overhead. By noon on Labor Day, the camp sites were nearly empty and silence reigned.

sleddog
09-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Wow. Webb Chiles beloved Moore-24 GANNET, 2/3rd's of the way towards completion of an epic circumnavigation, was recently hauled for the hurricane season in Marathon, Florida Keys. Marathon lies less than 30 miles east of Cudjoe Key, ground zero for hurricane Irma's Category 4 passage.

Webb, in Evanston, Ill., feared he would lose GANNET and gave up watching the adrenalized hype on the Weather Channel. After all, he had lost two boats and all his possessions before..

What happened to GANNET in the middle of Irma? Will Chiles be able to complete his solo circumnavigation at age 76? Or has GANNET become wreckage along the Keys Highway, where the highest thing above sea level in the vicinity is the curb?

Webb will tell you the story of what he thinks happened. His clues are few but telling. http://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com/2017/

Here is a hint for the sharp eyed:

H Spruit
09-16-2017, 01:02 PM
WELL...~!
As any casual observer can easily see there are several vertical extrusions in this "HINT" picture, including a power tower, and all but one is going straight up.
So the one on an angle is obviously from Santa Cruz because we here in Santa Cruz can't do anything straight up.
And because the M24 is a 15/16 rig that must be Mr Chiles boat.

It is so obvious I can't believe I am the only one that figured it out! (full discloser, I couldn't have guessed it without help from Rainer The PAINTER.)

Intermission
09-16-2017, 06:44 PM
WELL...~!
because we here in Santa Cruz can't do anything straight up.

The wind transducer on the standoff is the other identifier.

I'm glad Gannet survived, because I really like the way Chiles writes.

sleddog
09-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Thanks to DAZZLER (Tom and Sue) for forwarding the below 3 minute video of the reaction of friends during the recent total eclipse as viewed from Philomath, Oregon, near Corvallis. The video was filmed by R2AK all star Mike Higgins. All but a few attendees of 30 were members of BASK, (Bay Area Sea Kayakers.) Mike was on his way back from a summer kayaking trip around Haida Gwaii https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShExk_msUc&feature=youtu.be Also below are photos by former BASK president Joe Petolino http://www.pbase.com/petolino/eclipse.

Our location for eclipse viewing was atop Dimple Hill, 1,000 feet above Corvallis and three miles from Tom, Sue, and their BASK friends in Philomath.

The next total solar eclipse viewable in N. America is April 8, 2024 as the shadow comes ashore at Mazatlan, MX, headed northeast over Texas towards Montreal, Canada.

sleddog
09-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Who would have thunk?

We knew Ketchikan has some of the best bear viewing in all of Alaska. http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

And that SHTP vets Dan and Linda Newland encounter bears on their property in the neighborhood of Port Townsend.

We even knew annoyed ursids have eaten kayaks on the Inside Passage of SE Alaska, on the route of the R2AK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7hNdI94OQ

So, it is no surprise to imagine a bear crew, big, strong, with good winterization, entered in the 2018 Race2Alaska. The promo lends credence to the possibility. The landscape seems "filled with bears." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYVHkjuXLo

Would you go?

Happy Autumn Equinox!

sleddog
09-22-2017, 09:07 PM
For anyone needing sail repair, sail modification, dodger repair, etc. a good source of quality craftsmanship is sailmaker to the SSS, our friend Synthia:

Synthia Petroka
Beats Mowing The Lawn
~ Let Me Cover Your Assets ~
www.beatsmowingthelawn.com
synpetroka@gmail.com
+1 510-205-9412

sleddog
09-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Who hasn't drug anchor? Last time for me was in Hilo Inner Harbor (Radio Bay) in 10 feet of water, silty bottom. My 22 pound CQR plow pulled through the soft mud like the ploughshare it was. The solution was to stop pulling.

More dramatic was the grounding of the bulk carrier M/V OCEAN BREEZE off the coast of Chile after the anchor dragged.

To my eye, it appears only one anchor was set....and doesn't the port anchor look a bit odd?

The first salvage attempt failed. Then the big boys showed up, a 50 man crew from TITAN Salvage. 10 months after the grounding, the cargo of wet grain had been ingeniously removed using aerial means. 6 giant anchors attached to 5,000 meters of 3" chain were safely afixed to the ship through dangerous surf and the pull began.

With 1,000 tons of pulling force, OCEAN BREEZE came off the beach, pretty as you please. What do you do with a ship that has been declared a "total loss?" because of "severe structural deficiencies?" After international marine ecosystem legalities were covered, TITAN towed OCEAN BREEZE 46 miles to sea and sank it. TITAN's next job? Get the wrecked cruise ship COSTA CONCORDIA off the Italian island.

Wylieguy
09-28-2017, 11:25 AM
A happier ending for "California Condor" who dragged shore at Drakes Bay in this year's OYRA Race.

sleddog
09-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Gosh, I knew it gets windy in Drakes Bay, but CA CONDOR rail down with just the blade up and no main sets a new standard. :p Thanks for the photo!

DaveH
09-29-2017, 06:19 AM
I'm on Hat Island Washington for the weekend.
waiting for my friend to pick me up on the dock in Everett I noticed this steel dreadnought for sale.
Apart from being the Yang to Mouton Noir's Yin, the ground tackle was what initially caught my eye.. mostly because I nearly took my head out walking past it

Then I went and looked at the listing (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=3124248&checked_boats=3124248&hosturl=portgardner&&ywo=portgardner&&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=77352&url=)... this really is a spiritual [smaller] sister to M.N., in white. I've never seen a stainless steel mast, but it makes sense on a steel hull I suppose...

hodgmo
09-29-2017, 06:24 AM
"Commissioned in 2000 with one meticulous owner for the past 16 years, Kobella was built in British Columbia of 3/16" plate steel, using the origami construction technique. Her stainless steel mast and ultra-tough systems will support voyaging to any destination."

Electronics
VHF - Standard Horizon Eclipse
Compass - Ritchie Helmsman HB-740
Depthsounder
GPS - Garmin Handheld, with NW Charts

Sails
Genoa - 9.2 oz. Dacron, Near-new
Battened mainsail

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=3124248&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=portgardner&&ywo=portgardner&

AlanH
10-02-2017, 07:26 PM
"Commissioned in 2000 with one meticulous owner for the past 16 years, Kobella was built in British Columbia of 3/16" plate steel, using the origami construction technique. Her stainless steel mast and ultra-tough systems will support voyaging to any destination."

Electronics
VHF - Standard Horizon Eclipse
Compass - Ritchie Helmsman HB-740
Depthsounder
GPS - Garmin Handheld, with NW Charts

Sails
Genoa - 9.2 oz. Dacron, Near-new
Battened mainsail

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=3124248&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=portgardner&&ywo=portgardner&

Oh dear lord don't write that on Sailing Anarchy or there'll be a riot for the next decade.

Actually, the boat looks pretty good to me.

sleddog
10-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Albert Strange, (1855-1917) was a renowned English artist, single and double-handed sailor, and designer of over 150 classic small sailing ships, many of them of light displacement and shoal draft to take the ground of England's East Coast. His designs are still sought after, and retain a classic beauty.

Strange's life and designs are celebrated among connoisseurs here: http://www.albertstrange.org/

Albert Strange's largest design, now 107 years old, is the cutter TALLY HO at 48 feet LOD. TALLY HO achieved great fame by winning the third Fastnet Race in 1927 in appalling conditions that caused the retirement of 13 of 15 entries including JOLIE BRISE. http://www.yachttallyho.com/index.php/about-tally-ho/fastnet-race-1927

notice the foreguy on the flexible 30 foot spinnaker pole is a pair of legs!......

In 1967, TALLY HO sailed for New Zealand, chartering in the Caribbean en route. In the South Pacific TALLY HO was wrecked on a reef, but pulled off and repaired. A new owner sailed her to Hawaii where she was sold to a fisherman from Oregon. She fished out of Brookings, Oregon from 1978 into the 1990s, repeatedly sailing to the South Pacific, before being abandoned in Brookings when her owner moved to Hawaii.

Until recently it looked like the abandoned TALLY HO would be broken up in Brookings when she fortuitously came under the ownership of Leo Sampson Goolden, an experienced and motivated young English sailor and ship wright.

Goolden had TALLY HO moved to Sequim, WA, put under cover of a well equipped work shop, and is now commencing on the ambitious rebuild, from keel up, of this historical yacht. Goolden, a talented writer, is documenting his story is here, and I hope to visit TALLY HO in the near future.
http://sampsonboat.co.uk/

MAGICdreamer
10-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Great, Sleddog! I think that you will enjoy the talented, low-key Leo. Thanks for giving his story a push.
Craig

Philpott
10-08-2017, 02:12 PM
For anyone needing sail repair, sail modification, dodger repair, etc. a good source of quality craftsmanship is sailmaker to the SSS, our friend Synthia:

Synthia Petroka
Beats Mowing The Lawn
~ Let Me Cover Your Assets ~
www.beatsmowingthelawn.com
synpetroka@gmail.com
+1 510-205-9412

Synthia did a beautiful job replacing the UV strip on my jib. Thanks, Synthia!

sleddog
10-08-2017, 06:56 PM

Here's TALLEY HO, photographed in the Solent by Beken of Cowes in 1927. That's 90 years ago, showing all the latest in yacht design technology being promoted in modern day glossy ads and boat shows:

1) Vertical stem (Albert Strange's answer to crowded harbors, along with
2) retractable bow sprit
3) loose footed main
4) diagonal sail panels
5) fractional rig, with square topped main
6) not a masthead tri-color, but there's TALLEY HO's Fresnel running lights 8 feet off the water, better visibility than modern nav lights on the pulpit obscured by the asymmetrical spinnaker tacked to the sprit.

I wonder how long it takes TALLEY HO to jibe?:cool:

sleddog
10-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Fun to see design and ingenuity at play, in this case in Los Osos, where Craig and Vicky have modified the steering on their 20 foot Sooty Tern WEE BONNIE. The previous steering system, an extra long tiller extension, bypassed the mizzen mast on the starboard side, but created less than desirable characteristics in the process...

2723 2724

Craig set his fertile imagination to work, and designed a "Lyre Tiller" that curved around the mizzen mast on both sides, before coming together forward. The aft end of the Lyre Tiller even provides a sheeting point for the mizzen boom.

Craig writes the new tiller was "fun to build and, at 7’ in length, gives rather fine steering control/feedback."

photos courtesy of MAGICdreamer

Philpott
10-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Craig writes the new tiller was "fun to build and, at 7’ in length, gives rather fine steering control/feedback."

Brilliant! Not to stereotype, but sailors are so ingenious, both by inclination and necessity.

MAGICdreamer
10-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Just for the record, Sir sleddog, I just followed the plans that Iain Oughtred sketched in a corner of one of his plan sheets. And I can see from the photo why you might have thought that the mizzen sheet goes to it...but I built a hollow boomkin - that pole just behind my back - which angles inward aft and the sheet goes through that to a cam cleat on the stern deck - just out of sight.

Now that tiller extension for the lyre is a bit of fun. A scrap of curly maple left over from a furniture-building project had some dramatic grain to it ('chatoyancy", is the term, I think - see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laRR95IZac ). This was dyed with some aniline dye and varnished for an interesting sort of curiosity. Too much time on my hands, I suspect...)

Cheers,

Craig

AlanH
10-10-2017, 03:25 PM
I have a push-pull tiller on the skerry and I'm not a fan. On the skerry, I don't have a mizzen to worry about, so I think a new, non-kick-up rudder with a reg'lar tiller is in my future.

I'm also considering the possibility of building one of these. I'm about to send a check off for the design and plank layouts.

https://youtu.be/2RsttZg7iCc

sleddog
10-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Determination. Competency. Both can be found at the old Aeolus Boatworks in Davenport, 15 miles north of Santa Cruz, where Gary Blair has been building his 40 foot cruising cutter for the last 40 years.

Gary drove a SC transit bus for years while working on his project. The hull is cold-molded mahogany, 3 layers, 1 5/8" thick. Gary never met a piece of fiberglass he didn't hate.

Interesting, the waterline length of Gary's dreadnought design is 3 feet longer than the length on deck.

Gary's cutter, near completion, features three watertight doors and compartments.

photos courtesy of Paul Tara

sleddog
10-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Good sailing friend, VN, left this morning as navigator on the 10 day, Double-Handed, All Women's Off Road Rally, the REBELLE, between Lake Tahoe and San Diego. Traditional navigation methods only: compass, plotting sheets, and topo maps as they cross dirt roads, double tracks, trails, and sand dunes. No GPS or cell phones to find the checkpoints, some of which are nothing more than a blue flag in a sand dune.

Tracking by Yellow Brick, available online to supporters but not to contestants.

37 Teams in this test of driving skill, navigation, and endurance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkB_ewwStrvi4BimVrYhpyw

It's gonna be a bit dusty out there in the wilds of Nevada. But showers, food, and gas will be waiting at the evening Base Camps. Go Team Broncosaurus!

http://www.rebellerally.com/

sleddog
10-16-2017, 06:43 AM
Blue Whales visiting Santa Cruz Harbor?

Santa Cruz Harbor's new dredge, TWIN LAKES, has begun dredging the shoaled Upper Harbor, north of the bridge. and south of Arana Gulch. Coincidentally, a whimsical science experiment is occurring offshore Twin Lakes State Beach, just east of the breakwater. If you can figure this one out, you win a weekend at Capitola Boat Club.

Here are the facts: Golf balls, with the logo "Ocean Honda," and the distinctive Wally the Blue Whale emblem, are floating ashore at Twin Lakes Beach. Why? Where are they coming from? Golf balls float. Or do they? This flotation, or lack of, is a significant clue to the science experiment mystery. As is gravity. And no, no one is driving golf balls into the ocean for practice. Or are they?

Chris, the dredge driver, knows the answer....Others may also, but don't visit this journal. Or do they?

Philpott
10-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Blue Whales visiting Santa Cruz Harbor?

You had me going there for a minute! I was ready to jump in the car and drive down. Alas! I don't have a scientific brain. I'll wait for the next easy competition.... will there ever be an easy competition?

Daydreamer
10-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Golf balls don't float in fresh water, used to make a couple buck collecting them out of ponds as a kid, maybe they do in salt water.

Are they going somewhere with the dredge tailings in order to find out how long and where the the current takes them?

Just a wild guess.

DaveH
10-16-2017, 10:20 AM
OK, I'll try...
They just started dredging the upper harbor.
My hunch is the new sediment has treasures in the form of golf balls, which sink, but are almost neutrally buoyant in salt water (ask me how I know this).
my guess is that some of these got launched just far enough in the dredge plume to drift around the corner and get washed back in at Twin Lakes.

am I close?

sleddog
10-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Good analysis, David. You win the weekend at CBC. Here's the story as I understand it. (Corrections appreciated):

About a mile up Arana Gulch lies Delaveaga Golf Course. On the golf course lies the practice driving range, where if you badly slice your drive, the ball ends up downhill in Arana Gulch. The balls furnished by the driving range bear the logo of Ocean Honda and it's blue "Wally the Whale" as an advertising reminder.

When the occasional miss hit golf ball dribbles downhill into Arana Gulch, it is likely to get washed into the creek which runs fast in winter storms. Arana Gulch creek passes through a pipe and into the Upper Santa Cruz Harbor, which gets shoaled by all the sediment, thus the need for dredging.

Golf balls sink in fresh water like Arana Gulch creek, and get buried in the sediment. When the dredge snorkel sucks up the sediment, in the spoils are golf balls, which then get pumped all the way out the Harbor, and into the ocean just seaward of Twin Lakes Beach.

Here lies the science experiment DH has alluded to. Golf balls float in salt water due to greater sea water density than fresh water. The Delaveaga practice balls, which have now traveled about 2 miles downhill, rise to the surface from the dredge pipe terminus in the ocean and wash ashore onto the Beach.

Theoretically, a golf ball could float all the way to Hanalei Bay, or even make a passage through the NW Passage, as the occasional rubber ducky has. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-464768/Thousands-rubber-ducks-land-British-shores-15-year-journey.html

But put a golf ball in a lake, and it will sink. How do I know this? As a kid I made spare change wading in our local golf course water hazard ponds about sunset and retrieving lost golf balls with my crab pincer big toe. The balls were then sold to the practice range for a quarter a piece, as were golf tees for a dime a dozen.

OK, David, how did you learn the flotation qualities of golf balls?

Fear not, all is not lost and I offer another guest weekend at CBC to whomever can answer the following navigational history question: the location in Arana Gulch where the practice golf balls drop out of sight into the poison oak is significantly unique on any chart or map that uses latitude and longitude. This position is so unique, that back in the early days of Santa Cruz, there was a monument on the location, and tourists were taken in open cars up to the site to say they had stood there. What is this position?

DaveH
10-16-2017, 01:44 PM
OK, David, how did you learn the flotation qualities of golf balls?

Like many things, I owe this to my father.
Ever the chemical engineer, dad had a parlor trick that involved a glass of tap water, a golf ball, and a salt shaker.
Basically a variant of "bet you I can pull the ball out without spilling the water"
I never forgot the lesson; particularly after I watched him win a $10 bar bet with it.

Gamayun
10-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Like many things, I owe this to my father.
Ever the chemical engineer, dad had a parlor trick that involved a glass of tap water, a golf ball, and a salt shaker.
Basically a variant of "bet you I can pull the ball out without spilling the water"
I never forgot the lesson; particularly after I watched him win a $10 bar bet with it.

Man, that's a great story, Dave. Reminds me of the premise of Slumdog Millionaire. Fun post, Skip, thanks :) but you'll need to make them much easier if I'm ever going to win one of these days!

sleddog
10-17-2017, 06:46 AM
Skip, thanks :) but you'll need to make them much easier if I'm ever going to win one of these days!

OK, here's an easy one. Though this USCG tested and approved design won't win any SSS races, it is unsinkable, unbreakable, reportedly uncapsizable, and can be safely dropped from aircraft with/without a parachute.......
What is this All American design named after?

Gamayun
10-17-2017, 08:32 AM
You call THAT easy?! I am clueless, but it looks like a West Wight (not Wright) Potter with junk sails and perhaps mated to an unsinkable Boston Whaler hull.

sleddog
10-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Log Books? Over the years I've filled >22 300 page Log Books. I use horizontally lined, hard cover, Record Books, available at most stationers stores for about $20. As needed, I vertically line pages with a pen and straight edge, and label columns as needed: Time/Date/Avg.Course, Speed, Weather/Barometer, etc. For the time we are not underway, I forgo the columns, and just write what happened, or make a sketch. Works for me.
PS: to be a legal document, the log needs to be written in ink.

BobJ
10-17-2017, 09:46 AM
You call THAT easy?! I am clueless, but it looks like a West Wight (not Wright) Potter with junk sails and perhaps mated to an unsinkable Boston Whaler hull.

It looks like a Scamp with attitude, and with a deck that's too long for the hull. But really I have no idea! Here's a Scamp (pity about the painter).

sleddog
10-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Sorry, BobJ, not a "Scamp with attitude," nor a Dyer Dinghy. Our mystery design has no relationship to Portland, Oregon, either, as some uninformed glossy sailing mags have suggested.... I'll bet MAGICdreamer checks in with the right answer.....

Dazzler
10-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Of course, the unmistakable hull is a PORTLAND PUDGY, made in Portland, ME. But, there must be WAY more to this story. The modifications are not "stock" and obviously with an intended purpose. For more entertainment, look up the story of a fellow who modified a Pudgy to use as gondola for his trans-Atlantic ballon flight.

Tom (sitting here recovering from back surgery)

P.S. Ah yes, the joy of web access... here's PUGWASH in an earlier incarnation:

BobJ
10-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Ooh, ouch! I hope you recover quickly Tom.

Speaking of Scamps . . . Awhile back in this very thread, I was ruminating over the sistership to Lester Stone's cutter SCAMP, named LITTLE PACKET. The latter has been for sale over in Berkeley. I'm happy to report that LITTLE PACKET has been sold and is on her way to Port Townsend. This destination is a good sign that she'll be around for awhile, since PT is chock full of neat wooden boats.

DaveH
10-17-2017, 01:08 PM
That is the perfect Pt. Townsend watercraft.

Critter
10-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Of course, the unmistakable hull is a PORTLAND PUDGY
I was pretty sure it was a Pudgy. As to what it's named after, I didn't want to go there.

AlanH
10-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Pudgy.

https://youtu.be/PE564oYl4Ds

Dazzler
10-17-2017, 02:40 PM
That is the perfect Pt. Townsend watercraft.

Maybe... but, the MOST PERFECT P.T. Watercraft is got to be the PT11:

sleddog
10-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Tom,
Wishing you a speedy recovery, my friend. Keep us posted.

Yes, Portland Pudgys come in many disguises: sailing dinghy, row boat, motorboat, balloon gondola, lifeboat..... FYI, a Portland Pudgy is 7'8" LOA and weighs in at 128 pounds http://www.portlandpudgy.com/dinghy-specs/

The PT Watercraft 11 is a two part, nesting dinghy, weighing 75 pounds, that rows and sails really well. If you've never seen one, check this out, especially the video. http://ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/PT11Home.html

Of all the indefatigable heros in the recent Wine Country fire devastation, I was taken aback by the story of one Peter Lang. Peter, age 77, owns and runs Safari West in Santa Rosa, a wildlife preserve, home to 1,000 African animals and birds.

The advancing inferno of the Tubbs Fire was threatening Safari West and Peter and guests was told to evacuate immediately. Peter declined to leave, his responsibility was to his animals. ("1,000 souls I was responsible for.") Staying behind, and armed with 400 feet of garden hose, Peter fought off the fire, but lost his home.. No animals or birds were lost, thanks to Peter's determined courage. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/How-Safari-West-s-giraffes-cheetahs-and-hippos-12276896.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0sxOssOWg

BobJ
10-17-2017, 05:28 PM
There was a new PT11 on Craigslist for many weeks, built by a cabinetmaker in San Rafael. He was pretty proud of it ($) but I was tempted.

Even taken apart, it was too big to fit in the back of my Insight hatchback or I would have gone to take a look.

I've saved a lot of money over the years by not going to take a look...

AlanH
10-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Tom,
Wishing you a speedy recovery, my friend. Keep us posted.

Yes, Portland Pudgys come in many disguises: sailing dinghy, row boat, motorboat, balloon gondola, lifeboat..... FYI, a Portland Pudgy is 7'8" LOA and weighs in at 128 pounds http://www.portlandpudgy.com/dinghy-specs/

The PT Watercraft 11 is a two part, nesting dinghy, weighing 75 pounds, that rows and sails really well. If you've never seen one, check this out, especially the video. http://ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/PT11Home.html

Of all the indefatigable heros in the recent Wine Country fire devastation, I was taken aback by the story of one Peter Lang. Peter, age 77, owns and runs Safari West in Santa Rosa, a wildlife preserve, home to 1,000 African animals and birds.

The advancing inferno of the Tubbs Fire was threatening Safari West and Peter and guests was told to evacuate immediately. Peter declined to leave, his responsibility was to his animals. ("1,000 souls I was responsible for.") Staying behind, and armed with 400 feet of garden hose, Peter fought off the fire, but lost his home.. No animals or birds were lost, thanks to Peter's determined courage. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/How-Safari-West-s-giraffes-cheetahs-and-hippos-12276896.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0sxOssOWg

Having been to. Safari West, I'm amazed that he managed to save the animals. The large areas where some of the antelope are is pretty beaten-down. As in... not any fuel to burn, so that would be safe. The bird enclosure is NOT safe.... neither is Lemur Island, and the zebras, ostriches and cape buffalo are out in the coastal scrub/oak forest. I can't imagine how he herded the cape buffalo to safety.

MAGICdreamer
10-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Sorry, BobJ, not a "Scamp with attitude," nor a Dyer Dinghy. Our mystery design has no relationship to Portland, Oregon, either, as some uninformed glossy sailing mags have suggested.... I'll bet MAGICdreamer checks in with the right answer.....

You know, we have come across the PP's used as cruising tenders a couple of times and at one point (briefly) thought about one for for MAGIC...until I tried to pick it up. Found an unfinished Joel White-designed "Shellback" sailing/rowing dinghy rusticating under a tarp in PT. Left a message in the dust on it with our phone contact - and eventually, she became "Slippa", which is still tender for MAGIC.

AlanH
10-18-2017, 11:53 AM
There's a Skookum 34 with a pilothouse for sale in PT, name of "Walkabout" that is my current fantasy escape vehicle for the zombie apocalypse.

http://images.boats.com/resize/1/18/42/5791842_20160427201317146_1_LARGE.jpg

sleddog
10-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Trip Report
I used to think Hwy 120, east of Tioga Pass, was pretty steep, with 3 miles of 8% grade to challenge horse power uphill, and brakes on the descent.

Annie and I decided to try an alternative to get RUBY the camp trailer over the Sierra to view Color Change .....Sonora Pass.

Yikes! Kinda like going around the Farallones on a Spring Saturday. Sonora Pass: steep, narrow, and windy to the 9,624' summit, with 26% grade on both sides. Did I mention the platoon of camouflaged marines practicing in the boulders on both sides of the road?

Amidst the Fall colors, we joined Friends of the Inyo at their annual rendezvous at Obsidian Flats, between Mammoth and June Lake. Saturday morning, in conjunction with the Forest Service, we raked off-road ATV tracks out of a beautiful sandy meadow on the East Side of Hwy 395, and built Lincoln Log barriers to encourage adherence of "no off road driving." signage. Not sure that will do much good.

After a fun weekend with the group of Friends of Inyo, we headed further south and up Rock Creek Canyon, where the colors were really going off. It had snowed a week earlier, and the dark peaks looked like powdered sugar on chocolate mountains.

From Rock Creek we continued south and camped near a small but fast flowing stream 7 miles south of Big Pine. Not being a fisherman, I inadvertently hooked a trout, which managed to release itself. That night the wind blew, gusting probably 30 and higher. Instead of reefs to increase stability, we deployed the four, wind down, stabilizer jacks, one at each trailer corner. Steady as she goes.

The next day we drove to Lone Pine and turned west on Whitney Portal Road, passing through the the phantasmagorical Alabama Hills, site of many cowboy westerns. Our campsite in the sage was only a few miles east of Mt. Whitney, which caught the first light of sunrise. That night an owl landed on the trailer for a hoot fest. Nice.

Whitney Portal Road, nearby to our campsite, was featured in the mountain scene of the 1953 Lucy and Desi classic, "The Long, Long Trailer." https://vimeo.com/77392290

On our way home to Santa Cruz, we encountered a dust storm on Highway 46 near I-5. Out of the brown sky came
sailing airborne tumbleweeds. At Paso we took a break and pulled into my friend's new wine resort "Allegretto" to have lunch. Annie said that was Will Ferrell a few tables over, but I wasn't supposed to stare.

Daydreamer
10-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Welcome to my neighborhood Sled.
I’m on Ebbetts Pass, the next route to the north. Both Sonora and Ebbetts are great roads, not for the faint of heart.
A couple years ago we camped at Duck lake, good fall colors, hiking trails, and beaver dams.
Alabama Hills is on our to do list. So much to see of the eastern Sierra and autumn is a beautiful time to go.
Good for you!

sleddog
10-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Recuperating in Sausalito is not such bad duty. Staying at friends' house, we are just inland and at eye level with the top of the tallest wooden mast on SF Bay (the 83 foot M class sloop PURSUIT, visible just left of center).

Last evening there was a major weather change on the coast. From warm and clear, the high rise skyline of San Francisco disappeared, as did the backlit black lump of Alcatraz. The fog horns of the GG Bridge began their bassoon notes, as did the throaty horns of invisible passing ships.

Dawn revealed a tongue of fog hiding everything from Angel Island to Berkeley, the Bay Bridge, and West. Where did the City go? Gone.

The Bay was asleep so early (0700). The only sailing vessel underway was the 80 foot schooner SEAWARD, outbound from Sausalito under power.

My watchmate is 2.4 year old Olina. She's already learned schooners. "There goes FREDA B!"

This afternoon the low autumn sun burned off the fog east of Alcatraz. Boats spun in windless circles in Richardson Bay while just west of Alcatraz was a rail down breeze of 20 knots. The fog returned at sunset, and the only thing that could be seen was the Skyline ridgeline of the Berkeley Hills and a necklace of windows reflecting the fiery sunset above the Golden Gate.

Carving pumpkins with a two year old: Special times.

sleddog
10-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Singlehanders usually have two things in common: We don't often do "Legs Over" hiking with our torso pressed against the lifelines. And we have a penchant for cheaper, better, stronger equipment.

WILDFLOWER's crew of a few weeks' back, a former SHTP winner, rightly pointed out that leaning with your back against 1x19 wire-rope lifelines while steering from the weather side with the tiller extension gets uncomfortable.

He's right.

I moseyed over to Big 5 Sporting Goods and bought two foam swimming pool noodles 4'8" in length. Inserted some old garden hose scraps to add wear strength to the inside of the noodles.. Then covered the noodles with left-over white poly awning lengths glued to the noodle.

I unrigged the lifelines, which are lashed to the push-pits, inserted the lifelines into the noodles, and Bob's your uncle.

Philpott
10-31-2017, 03:25 PM
I moseyed over to Big 5 Sporting Goods and bought two foam swimming pool noodles 4'8" in length. Inserted some old garden hose scraps to add wear strength to the inside of the noodles.. Then covered the noodles with left-over white poly awning lengths glued to the noodle. I unrigged the lifelines, which are lashed to the push-pits, inserted the lifelines into the noodles, and Bob's your uncle.

Aaaahhh. The luxurious lives of yachtsmen.

AlanH
10-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Trip Report
I used to think Hwy 120, east of Tioga Pass, was pretty steep, with 3 miles of 8% grade to challenge horse power uphill, and brakes on the descent.

Annie and I decided to try an alternative to get RUBY the camp trailer over the Sierra to view Color Change .....Sonora Pass.

Yikes! Kinda like going around the Farallones on a Spring Saturday. Sonora Pass: steep, narrow, and windy to the 9,624' summit, with 26% grade on both sides. Did I mention the platoon of camouflaged marines practicing in the boulders on both sides of the road?

Amidst the Fall colors, we joined Friends of the Inyo at their annual rendezvous at Obsidian Flats, between Mammoth and June Lake. Saturday morning, in conjunction with the Forest Service, we raked off-road ATV tracks out of a beautiful sandy meadow on the East Side of Hwy 395, and built Lincoln Log barriers to encourage adherence of "no off road driving." signage. Not sure that will do much good.

After a fun weekend with the group of Friends of Inyo, we headed further south and up Rock Creek Canyon, where the colors were really going off. It had snowed a week earlier, and the dark peaks looked like powdered sugar on chocolate mountains.

From Rock Creek we continued south and camped near a small but fast flowing stream 7 miles south of Big Pine. Not being a fisherman, I inadvertently hooked a trout, which managed to release itself. That night the wind blew, gusting probably 30 and higher. Instead of reefs to increase stability, we deployed the four, wind down, stabilizer jacks, one at each trailer corner. Steady as she goes.

The next day we drove to Lone Pine and turned west on Whitney Portal Road, passing through the the phantasmagorical Alabama Hills, site of many cowboy westerns. Our campsite in the sage was only a few miles east of Mt. Whitney, which caught the first light of sunrise. That night an owl landed on the trailer for a hoot fest. Nice.

Whitney Portal Road, nearby to our campsite, was featured in the mountain scene of the 1953 Lucy and Desi classic, "The Long, Long Trailer." https://vimeo.com/77392290

On our way home to Santa Cruz, we encountered a dust storm on Highway 46 near I-5. Out of the brown sky came
sailing airborne tumbleweeds. At Paso we took a break and pulled into my friend's new wine resort "Allegretto" to have lunch. Annie said that was Will Ferrell a few tables over, but I wasn't supposed to stare.

Ah, Sonora Pass and the eastern Sierra. Rock Creek, Whitney Portal.

Just about my favorite places in the whole state.

Intermission
10-31-2017, 04:59 PM
Those look great Skip!
Half inch PVC makes good innards too.
I love pool noodles...
At the dollar store, they are available year round.
I've stuck them on lifelines, I've jammed them into the ends of my kayaks.
I've sliced off 6" hunks for crab floats, they pad roof racks nicely, and they add flotation to my PVC hull brush.
I keep a couple aboard for I don't what yet.

sleddog
11-01-2017, 06:01 AM
Not sure what to make of Clipper Race leader GREENINGS going aground near Cape Town shortly after yesterday's start of third leg.

Bright moon, onshore wind of 14 knots, 18 crew safely evacuated. On the other hand, low coastline and no lights on the shore. Another VESTAS? Time will tell. Doesn't look like the boat is going anywhere soon.

Fog could be a factor where cold water currents collide. Check out SS MAUI outbound towards the Golden Gate last Friday noon. (photo courtesy Capt Bob Buell)

DaveH
11-01-2017, 12:12 PM
No word yet as to causality, but apparently they did enough damage for the yacht to not re-float with the tide.

EVACUATED CLIPPER RACE YACHT (CV24) PARTIALLY UNDER WATER AFTER RUNNING AGROUND NEAR CAPE TOWN

Following careful analysis of the situation and state of the Clipper Race Yacht CV24 the Clipper Race office has confirmed that the vessel is partially underwater after running aground on the western side of the Cape Peninsula, South Africa, and will take no further part in the Clipper 2017-18 Race.

The crew of Clipper Round the World Yacht Race team, Greenings (CV24), had previously been safely evacuated after running aground at approximately 2140 UTC (2340 local time) on Tuesday 31 October after departing Cape town earlier in the day for Leg 3 of the eight-leg global sailing race.

The decision has been communicated to the Interim Skipper, Andy Woodruff, and discussions have taken place with Greenings Skipper, David Hartshorn (recovering from an earlier injury) and his crew regarding their future participation in this edition of the race.

The safety of the Skipper and crew have been paramount throughout this incident and all are doing well and no injuries have been reported.

Underwriters have appointed a surveyor who will attend the boat tomorrow and, on receipt of his report, a decision will be made as to whether the boat will be salvaged or not.

BobJ
11-01-2017, 12:14 PM
I wasn't able to find crew lists on their website - was this Harmon's ride?

DaveH
11-01-2017, 12:29 PM
No, he's aboard Garmin.

DH

mike cunningham
11-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Well, hopefully someone is paying attention to the Garmin aboard Garmin.

DaveH
11-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Harmon checkin' Garmin on Garmin.

Sorry the alliteration was to good to resist.

sleddog
11-02-2017, 05:59 AM

GREENINGS, half full of water looks totaled by insurance standards., RKJ is going to need some Xanax.

So what is the lattice sail in the fore-triangle? Spinnaker net? Jibing, or sail changes, on one of these big boats, in the dark, on the first night of Leg 3 with 18 crew, in close proximity to land, is no walk-in-the-park, and might have taken many minutes during which time nav station attention was compromised

PJ was crew on SANYA SERENITY COAST on Clipper Race Leg 2, and might have a 1st hand report when he returns.

mike cunningham
11-02-2017, 09:16 AM

Very good, then no harm will come to Harmon who's checking the Garmin on Garmin.

Lanikai
11-02-2017, 12:20 PM
No harm on Harmon's Garmin's Garmin.

BobJ
11-02-2017, 12:35 PM
In a probably futile effort to stabilize Sled's thread . . . here:

https://clipperroundtheworld.com/race/standings

If you click on the wind sock you can get an idea why the tracks got crazy. GARMIN is the black boat. It looks like NASDAQ may have turned back.

mike cunningham
11-02-2017, 01:28 PM
In a probably futile effort to stabilize Sled's thread . . . here:

https://clipperroundtheworld.com/race/standings

If you click on the wind sock you can get an idea why the tracks got crazy. GARMIN is the black boat. It looks like NASDAQ may have turned back.

No way it's a dead thread with Sled's Cred!

Yea, OK, I'm done.

mike cunningham
11-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Bob, I think you are mistaken
Harmon's Garmin looks headed back,
but NASDAQ is right on track,
while Quingdao leads the pack,
and PSP looks forsaken

now I 'm really done.

jamottep
11-02-2017, 02:55 PM
PJ was crew on SANYA SERENITY COAST on Clipper Race Leg 2, and might have a 1st hand report when he returns.

Nope ... one thing Clipper is good at is communication lock down and managing communications. They're a powerful marketing machine.

sleddog
11-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Nope ... one thing Clipper is good at is communication lock down and managing communications. They're a powerful marketing machine.

Welcome Home, PJ!

sleddog
11-04-2017, 05:16 AM

Dianne Beeston's black and white marine photography of sailing and racing on SF Bay is unparalled. Her photos catch the mood and essence of wind and water like no other. When you come visit Capitola Small Boat Club I will loan you a copy of Dianne's classic Of Wind, Fog, and Sail

The Cove House exhibition is at the immediate north end of the San Francisco Yacht Club Parking Lot in Belvedere, a pleasant 10 minute Bayside walk from downtown Tiburon.

sleddog
11-04-2017, 10:26 PM

Launchings are mostly always fun...Unless they're not. That's famous L. Francis Herreshoff's 72' ketch TICONDEROGA in photo above at her 1936 launch at Quincy Adams Yacht Yard in Quincy, MA. Amazingly, no one was hurt. TICONDEROGA went on to set many elapsed time records, including Transpac '63, and Transpac '65 against STORMVOGEL

Bill Lee's legendary MERLIN of Santa Cruz weighs about 35 tons less than "BIG TI". MERLIN, the "People's Boat" is no less famous than "TI," and also broke the Transpac record, in 1977, a record crossing to Hawaii that stood for the next 20 years.

Thursday, Feb.24, 1977, my birthday, was a big day for Bill Lee and crew. The previous afternoon MERLIN had been rolled out of Bill Lee's chicken coop boatyard on Hilltop and loaded aboard Drivin' Ivan's plum colored 18 wheeler. With nearby Santa Cruz Harbor shoaled by winter surf, Bill instead opted for the 20 mile drive down Highway 1 to Gravelle's Boat Yard in Moss Landing for MERLIN's launch.

With "Bosun" Dave Wahle in Maui, Bobbo was detailed as "launch master", and KT was charged with picking up refreshments: a keg at Z's Liquors. Drivin' Ivan never was much for speed limits, and somehow the crew riding aboard MERLIN were able to lift local power lines with wooden handle crutches as MERLIN sped along underneath.

MERLIN arrived at Moss Landing before noon. But Bobbo had somehow forgotten to check the tide book and launching couldn't take place until later .... much later.

The launch crew and arriving friends did what they do best in such adverse circumstances .... "Let the Party Begin" pronounced Bill Lee.. The beer keg was breached, brandy was poured, and the sweet aroma of local pot filled the air.

By mid-afternoon the party was in full swing, and there were some minor casualties. Drivin' Ivan had been drinking brandy in his truck cab and passed out onto the ground below, his position taken by a back-up driver.

Fortunately, Don Snyder's mother had thought to bring a camera, otherwise we wouldn't have the only photo of the event.

As the sun set, MERLIN's chief wood worker, KT (Karen Trapp), was handed the traditional bottle of champagne to break on MERLIN's bow. Only problem was KT couldn't reach the bow, as it overhung the water. Bobbo appropriated a nearby scaffold plank, and with half a dozen wobbly kneed assistants acting as counterweights on the inboard end of the plank, KT ventured dangerously to the end and with a mighty swing, christened MERLIN.

Today in Anacortes, WA, was another kind of launching. I'll let retired singlehander sailor Gary pick up the story:

Traditional boat builder Jay Smith launched his latest Viking boat (36') today at Bowman Bay on the north side of Deception Pass. Jay's shop is located west of the Lake Eire store, NW of Lake Campbell. The boat made quite an entrance to the launch ramp parking lot . The trailer was being towed by 4 Belgian draft horses. What a fine bunch they were.

After several loops around the parking lot they backed the boat trailer into the head of the launch ramp with the skill of a commercial truck driver & no carbon foot print. Alder saplings were lashed to the sheer and husky Scandinavians lifted the boat off the trailer & down the ramp onto blocks of wood. The boat is a work of art (yellow cedar & white oak). It has a mast & square sail but also will be fitted with electric propulsion.

In spite of the alternating between cold drizzle/light snow showers the assembled crowd was in high spirits buoyed by a group of elderly gents singing Norwegian sea chanteys. After fitting out & fine tuning the boat will head for its new home of Massachusetts.

sleddog
11-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Today's live helo footage of the start of Leg 2 of the Volvo Ocean Race from Lisbon is about as compelling sailing video as you will witness. 65 footers going 30 knots, regularly disappearing into a wall of water as they plow into the wave ahead. Doggies.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/video/10265_The-Leg-2-Start-from-the-air.html

jamottep
11-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Welcome Home, PJ!

Thank you ... I'm catching up with things and will post a write up soon ... It's good to be home and it's nice to be out there too ...

sleddog
11-10-2017, 02:43 PM
My live-aboard neighbor was clearly agitated: I could hear drawers and lockers being opened and closed aboard his elderly Cal-34. He emerged from the cabin, and started emptying the cockpit lockers in what I perceived to be a near panic.

I inquired if I could help, and he said he'd misplaced a new I-Phone X loaner from AT&T, and he had 30 minutes to get the phone returned or face financial repercussions. He asked if I would call his phone number, and he would listen for the ring. This was easy, and again I could hear my neighbor rummaging in lockers. In a sweat, he again emerged and said, "Skip, I can hear the phone ringing, but it's moving around and I can't find it.."

Now I was intrigued. This was a mystery. I requested permission to come aboard and dial his number. Sure enough, I could hear the phone faintly ringing and yessiree, the ring tone sounded to be moving. As my neighbor once again descended head first into the cockpit locker in search of the elusive phone, I sat and listened.

Then I saw it. What looked like a phone was sticking out of his back pocket...

We had a good laugh. I'm sure glad I've never misplaced my sunglasses only to find them later on top of my head.:confused: One of the best was my friend Chan helping douse the spinnaker on IMPROBABLE as we rounded the Fastnet Rock in the dark and slapped the Red Rocket on the wind. In the process, Chan discovered his left Topsider moccasin deck shoe missing..

Next morning we reset the spinnaker, and on the hoist, Chan's missing shoe fell out of the nylon and into the Irish Sea. Chan, never at a loss for words, pulls off his remaining shoe and sends it overboard. "Guess I don't need one shoe," says Chan.

sleddog
11-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Nobody can say with certainty, but there is currently a concentration of upwards of 100 blue whales in Monterey Bay feeding on local krill. This is the most blues recorded in recent history and has whale watchers ecstatic observing this rare visitation.

A population of nearly 2,000 blue whales visit the California Coast each summer/fall to feed on krill, along with their smaller cousins, the humpbacks.

Blue whales are the largest creatures on earth, some 100 feet long, and bigger than the largest dinosaurs. I've been fortunate to see a couple of blues. Their size next to a 40-50 foot humpback is amazing. At 150 to 200 tons, that's a lot of displacement. With all the blue whales in the vicinity, no wonder we are having higher than normal tides.....:cool:

The below 2 minute drone video of a blue whale lunge feeding recently near the Monterey Bay canyon off Moss Landing is eye opening. You don't what to be a kayak accidentally caught in that 20 foot maw with a tongue heavier than an elephant.

http://www.ksbw.com/article/blue-whale-in-monterey-bay-recorded-with-majestic-video/10225129

Meanwhile up at Lake Tahoe there weren't any blue whales. But gale force winds built up 4-6 foot surfable waves.
http://www.ksbw.com/article/storm-churns-up-massive-waves-on-lake-tahoe-it-looks-like-the-ocean/13789188

MAGICdreamer
11-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Great drone footage, Sleddog. We have encountered these gentle giants off the Baja coast and when they passed close alongside, our 40' LOD schooner seemed mighty ....small.

sleddog
11-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Philpott says: OMG! OMG! And I worry about logs in the bay! By the way, that phone number for the Army Corps of Engineers for recovery of debris in the bay? Banker's hours, during the week only.

So you see a nautical hazard floating in the Bay during the weekend and the Army Corp of Engineers won't take your call until Monday? My guess is the Coast Guard would be the one to notify....they'll likely ask you to stand by, a good chance to test your drogue or sea anchor.

A nearby neighbor to WILDFLOWER was looking a little more expensive today than usual. The yacht in question is a 30 foot, unnamed trimaran of unknown design or build. It does have a joy stick for a tiller. The rotating wing mast was on deck, in two pieces. Looking in the upper end, I could clearly see sharp carbon fiber and crushed honeycomb. I wonder if marine insurance covers that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0uVEvP7FGA

solosailor
11-21-2017, 09:40 PM
That is the Antrim 30+ trimaran, ex-"Erin". Boat was for sale for quite some time in Alameda. Tiller is a 'whipstaff' design.

sleddog
11-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Greg. ERIN is a cool looking boat...Here is more info on her design from 1993. I guess there was only one built.
http://antrimdesign.com/antrim-30-trimaran-erin.html

H Spruit
11-25-2017, 08:31 PM
I have received a report of a mysterious "TURBULENCE" emanating from the South East section of the Santa Cruz harbor.
People in the know have been secretive as to what might be causing this disturbance of the natural flow in the harbor scene.

sleddog
11-26-2017, 11:35 AM
I have received a report of a mysterious "TURBULENCE" emanating from the South East section of the Santa Cruz harbor. People in the know have been secretive as to what might be causing this disturbance of the natural flow in the harbor scene.

No secrets. The "turbulence," aka riffles and small whirlypools, comes from underneath WILDFLOWER and extends a dozen feet astern... H Spruit knows this: that is him drilling the largish holes in the floor of WILDFLOWER's cockpit, an act of faith on behalf of the owner.

More will be revealed should you attend the always festive Santa Cruz Lighted Boat Christmas Parade, 5:30 pm, Saturday, Dec.2.

BobJ
11-26-2017, 12:06 PM
A bit extreme just for red and green underwater lights.

But there's always duct tape.

sleddog
11-26-2017, 01:56 PM
A bit extreme just for red and green underwater lights.
But there's always duct tape.

A ration of grog at Capitola Boat Club for whoever can identify the function of the two 2 5/8" diameter holes Howard is cutting in the floor of WILDFLOWER's cockpit. And no, they are not related to underwater lights, beer cans, fishing, or means of self bailing.

BobJ
11-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Flux capacitor

H Spruit
11-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Two holes, one to let the water in and the other to let it out.
In any top secret action the workers are never told exactly what they are really doing, so I may never know for sure:>}

Dazzler
11-26-2017, 10:05 PM
Flux capacitor

Not a bad guess. This should be fun. I'm pretty sure I know what the holes are for, but of course I could be very wrong.
Since it might be considered that I have inside information, I will not make a guess. But I do like Bob's guess for a number of reasons including the fact that the Flux Capacitor was the (fictional) invention of (the fictional) Doc Brown. (That's a hint.)

Tom

BobJ
11-26-2017, 11:29 PM
I think it's the start of WF's manual propulsion system for the next R2AK.

"STEAK KNIVES!"

MAGICdreamer
11-27-2017, 09:59 AM
I look forward to seeing out the set-up "settled aboard", mate.

sleddog
11-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Flux capacitor

This answer from BobJ takes the cake if not the egg nog and brandy. A "Flux Capacitor," as invented by Doc Brown in Back to the Future allows time travel in the DeLorean Time Machine....which of course is what WILDFLOWER is and does. Just add plutonimium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhU862ONFys

H Spruit
11-27-2017, 04:53 PM
SORRY~
My resistance, and control have slipped to the level of a cheap PUN.
This usually only happens when my Capacitor gets all "FLUXED UP" :>}

sleddog
11-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Here's the current state of Howard's "hole to nowhere" in the 3/8" floor of WILDFLOWER's cockpit.

And here's the Flux Capacitor before the streamline fairing was added. The unit weighs about 9 pounds and is a combination of Antique Roadshow meets StarTrek: The 73 tooth chain ring and aluminum pedal arms are from a 1960's track bike. The rest is carbon fiber, except for the test mockup, which was a 2x4.

BobJ is half right. We won't be competing in the 2018 AR2AK unless Howard builds us 5 foot bow and stern extensions and we saw the boat in half to add 4 feet of beam. Did I mention the AR2AK is traditionally 60% upwind? YUCCA would be the appropriate tool.

BobJ
11-27-2017, 07:44 PM
BobJ is half right. We won't be competing in the 2018 R2AK unless Howard builds us 5 foot bow and stern extensions and we saw the boat in half to add 4 feet of beam.

I wouldn't put it past you guys. There are knives at steak!

H Spruit
11-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
BobJ is half right. We won't be competing in the 2018 R2AK unless Howard builds us 5 foot bow and stern extensions and we saw the boat in half to add 4 feet of beam.

At 3:AM I figured that the above mentioned mod to WF could be done with less that 20 sheets of Okume plywood. In an attempt to establish balance, I also priced steak knifes

BobJ
11-28-2017, 10:39 PM
From one accountant to another, how'd that pencil out?

And does the allen wrench shift it from forward to reverse thrust?

MAGICdreamer
11-29-2017, 08:48 AM
BTW, Sleddog, Wipperman and KMC make s/s bike chains, if you have not already determined that...one example here: Chain for WF
(https://smile.amazon.com/KMC-Bicycle-Single-Speed-Stainless/dp/B000C1YOQ8/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g2609328962?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&ie=UTF8)

AlanH
11-29-2017, 12:22 PM
BTW, Sleddog, Wipperman and KMC make s/s bike chains, if you have not already determined that...one example here: Chain for WF
(https://smile.amazon.com/KMC-Bicycle-Single-Speed-Stainless/dp/B000C1YOQ8/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g2609328962?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&ie=UTF8)

I can think of some maritime uses for that.

sleddog
12-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Yesterday afternoon was one of the more pleasant days for sailing in the ocean off Santa Cruz ...mild temps, unrestricted viz, offshore (N) wind of 2-12 knots, and smooth water. It was one tack to Capitola, 3 miles distant, and one tack back, with the only deviation being giving right-of-way to a crossing mother sea otter with baby attached.

Even though a weekend, the nearshore waters were pretty much empty of any sail craft, possibly the result of hangovers from the Lighted Boat Parade the night before. More likely, with so many boats festively lit in their slips, it is too much trouble to unrig the Christmas lights aloft and hoist sail.

Howard and I have completed something different on our building menu. A 5'x5' hundred pound box arrived UPS, with instructions to assemble what was inside, that being about 100 pieces of cut wood, a dozen bags of fasteners, and interior equipment including a plastic stove, sink and faucet, phone, etc. There were no written instructions in three languages, only 20 pages of drawings.

Armed with tape measure, square, battery operated drill, clamp, hammer for persuasion, and the assistance of two dogs, we set to work. Somebody had a sense of humor, as the first page of drawings indicated we should assemble the front door flower pot holders. It took us 5.5 hours to complete what initially looks like a refreshment and hamburger stand for the Capitola Small Boat Club, Bengal cat included...but in reality is a child's playhouse for visiting juniors.

Shortly after, Synthia arrived at CSBC requesting shower priviledges. It seems she and Terry returned from Thanksgiving to find their watermain under the driveway broken, with repairs to come. Synthia says its now just like living on a boat,fixing leaks and hauling water.

900 miles north, in Sequim, WA, works continues apace on deconstruction of the 1910 cutter TALLY HO. It appears from Leo's well done videos that every piece of his boat is rotten and needs replacement. No worries. 28 year old Leo Sampson Goolden has his rollerskates, parrot, a proper work shop, and enthusiasm and skill beyond measure. TALLY HO will sail again.

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/deck-hatches-and-rollerskates/

skatzman
12-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Looks like a Tabby Cat, exploring new stuff.

sleddog
12-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Looks like a Tabby Cat, exploring new stuff.

Tabbys have a symmetrical pattern on both of their sides and "Tabby" is an age old catchall, Heinz 57, general term for any striped or spotted cat. Bengals are a specific breed of "tabbiness," often with a glittering gold pelt that has a different pattern on each side. Look at a marbled cat: if the coat is the same on both sides, it isn't a Bengal. If the fur design is different, it's a Bengal.

I have been fortunate to have had a friendship with several Bengals: Archie, Max, and Chula. Similar to this writer, Bengals can be quite opinionated. Or not. I asked Max if he objected to be called a "Tabby," and his laconic reply was "are you kidding? I'm a cat and really don't care what you call me, as long as it's not late for dinner.

Diverting for a moment from the boat identification of the month, here's a Bengal gallery. First is Archie, the magic cat and crew aboard schooner MAGIC.

2902 2903 2904

Then there's Chula of Los Osos. Though it will be denied, I have seen Chula walk on water at Cap Sante. A special cat indeed. Even comes with a heated bed. Plug and play. 2905

And here's Max in his cat cave. Reminds me of a quarterberth on some boats I have known.. 2901

sleddog
12-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Thanks to Vicky for alerting me to the story of Max the cat who wants nothing more than to hang out in the school library. What's a cat to do who wants to read the SSS Forum? https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/max-cat-library-macalester-college

Contosa
12-05-2017, 08:50 AM
What's Max doing on that boat? Is Skip turning him into a sailor cat? Wait.....that's not Max, he's in his happy cozy little bed at home. Phew!

sleddog
12-05-2017, 08:28 PM
One picture worth 1,000 words...

sleddog
12-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Capitola Small Boat Club is receiving praise for its new stationary exercise equipment, a pedal drive, available to members and guests free of charge:

For a small donation, we'll cast off the dock lines, allowing "harbor cruising" at speeds up to 2.5 knots while you work up an appetite.

Philpott
12-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Is this what they call beam reaching in Santa Cruz? Do you sail sideways while pedalling? How do you trim the sails? Looks like fun. I'll come down next week and pay to play with a lemon bread.

sleddog
12-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Is this what they call beam reaching in Santa Cruz? Do you sail sideways while pedalling? How do you trim the sails? Looks like fun. I'll come down next week and pay to play with a lemon bread.

Lordy! As the pedal drive propeller is aimed forward when pedaling sitting in a sideways position in the front of the cockpit, WILDFLOWER moves in any direction steered with the tiller, which is in reach from the port side pedal position. Also in reach are the mainsheet, traveler, jib sheet, tiller pilot and binoculars. Pedaling can sometimes make enough extra apparent wind to sail with the big jib. Once the boat speed reaches ~ 3 knots, the pedal drive can be extracted from its hole and stowed, the hole covered, and sailing commences. We weighed the unit yesterday: 10 pounds soaking wet.

The unit remains experimental, even though it has 1600 miles of use this year on INCOGNITO, the G-32 cat owned by Russell and Ashlyn Brown of Port Townsend. Improvements have been suggested including raising the fairing, substituting a stainless chain or Gates belt, adding heel straps and arm rests, and experimenting with different size and pitched props.

On the other side of the Harbor, Howard is dealing with a second faulty lithium battery in his little blue box electric car. We hope the manufacturer can make good.

sleddog
12-06-2017, 09:29 AM

As a kid in S. Cal., I used to love seeing the 10 meters race. These lovely designs ranged in LOA from 57-59 feet, narrow, deep, overhangs, fractional rig..many were tiller steered, including SIRIUS, which I once got to skipper in an early Big Boat Series. Above photo is SALLY. And here's BRANTA, designed by Starling Burgess and built by A&R in 1929. She's a beauty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17PZOxEFCJU

For your trivia pleasure, the six S.Cal 10 meters were each painted a different color. One of them was so extra beautiful that Z-Spar Paint named a color after this boat, a color still available by special order today.

Was this color HILARIA blue? COQUILLE cream? BRANTA red? SIRIUS grey? KARAMA pearl? or SALLY Green?

A hint is the color was originally from the owner's wife's Ponds Cold Cream jar lid.

Ready, Set, Go!

sleddog
12-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Mmmmm. Having crewed (Blackaller, Etchells) Stars, then skippered, it was fun to watch the simularities and big differences in today's Star Racing as exemplified in the recent Star Sailors League (SSL) championships in Nassau, Bahamas.

The recent SSL hosted 50 of the best sailors in the World, all pros and all finely tuned athletes. They were all World Champions in multiple classes, as well as Olympic medalists and AC skippers. Prize money was $200,000!

Starboats remain the same hull design since their origin in 1911. But boy have other things changed! My Star, #3497, was all wood, with wood mast and boom, a small bronze jib winch. My crew weighed 160 pounds.2916

Today's Star crews are giants, most over 6'3" and 230 pounds. Gone are the jib winches. The mainsails have gotten even bigger. Hiking aids were not allowed back in the day. Now all manner of hiking aids are allowed including straps, vests, hobbles (not trapezes.) Thank goodness for the bigger sail windows now allowed. The boom is so low, it sits on the deck. Downwind the mast is raked radically forward, and all manner of pumping and rocking the sails and boat are allowed.

In this week's SSL, any of the 25 crews could have won a race. Paul Cayard won two, but didn't qualify for the Semis. The current World's Champion, Melleby from Norway, couldn't even break the top 10.

Here's a visual comparison of then and now. The first video is 1961 Star racing. Lowell North and Bill Ficker were at their prime, as was Dick Stearns, Malin Burnham, Gary Comer, and Joe Duplin. Tom Blackaller, a brash teenager, could barely break into mid-fleet.... Notice all the Stars are pretty colors. Boy did that ever change with fiberglass Stars. Now they are all white. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLT92O7H5G4

The second video, 3 minutes long, is some highlites of the Final Day of this week's Star Sailors League. My heart skips a beat just watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jMFUBIcI6Q

sleddog
12-10-2017, 11:06 AM
"Older Girl in Need of Sugar Daddy!"

Dear Sailing Friends,

Joking aside, please don't let Eric know that I'm telling you this - !

I have just learned that a locally-berthed sister ship to our 1964 Sparkman & Stephens designed Columbia 29 (Mk I) HEATHER is about to go on the block. Some of you may know HEATHER as the sloop that Eric and I
lived aboard when we were first married, then sailed most of the way around the world in the 80's and 90's. Now a home to little fishes in the Caribbean...

This other boat's name is TARA. From at least 2004 onward, she was berthed one dock over from our home base in Marina del Rey, during the years when our present boat RUNAWAY -- now undergoing a major refit in
our backyard in Torrance -- was still in the water. TARA didn't appear to us to be used much over that period, but apparently she was an oft-time participant in the annual Newport to Ensenada (Mexico) race.
An MdR tradesman we are acquainted with -- from whom we learned that the boat is now for sale -- regularly crewed on her. We always liked looking at that familiar S&S transom, and we were gratified to see that she was very well-loved (= immaculately, and expensively, equipped/maintained).

"We can't just let her go!!!" was my immediate reaction to the news of her impending sale.

However: Eric, ever the practical one, points out that TARA is now over 50 years old -- definitely "getting on" for a fiberglass boat -- and that she is smaller, and slower, than what most people might like. He says that the asking price (our source said $15K, which sounds great to me considering what the owner has obviously put into the boat) would buy "a lot of boat" on the used-boat market these days. He cautions any first-boat buyer to bear in mind the relatively high cost, month after month, of a slip, even for a small boat, along with upkeep. He also insists that he personally would NOT be AT ALL interested in supporting any sale-prep, customization, or ongoing maintenance projects on such a boat, however worthy, as he already has his hands full -- and then some! -- with our beloved RUNAWAY.

He did concede that TARA might be an ideal boat for seasonal gunkholing in a cruising ground like Maine (or the Pacific Northwest?), where she could be (motor)sailed off a mooring all summer, her full keel proof against the lobster pots, with the promise of some TLC every winter to keep her in good fiddle...

So: I am absolutely on my own in broadcasting this information to various of our sailing friends, Sleddog included, and this is absolutely all I know.

Sentimentally,

Robin Lambert

sleddog
12-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Offseason cruising in the San Juans means empty coves, wildlife, and why good friends Gary and Ev have converted from sail to a 34 foot, diesel stove heated, tug, SLOPOKE. A letter yesterday from Gary highlights a recent winter cruise:

BIG High Pressure & inversion meant cold temps here but light winds. Always worry about the dreaded "Fraser Valley" outflow. Kind of like "Arctic" version of the Santa Ana winds. Out 6 days last week on Slo Poke, which was only possible because of the diesel stove making the boat interior toasty/warm. Basically, fired up the stove on departure & turned off on return. It ran perfectly! Hiked up to Reed & Duck lakes on Cypress Island & found them frozen over. Going ashore in the morning, the beach landing sites had driftwood & chunks of bull kelp coated with ice. The bird population was amazing. Ducks everywhere, golden eye, bufflehead, merganzers mallards.......you name it & they were present. In Eagle Harbor there was a sea gull who thought it was a duck. It hung out with a large flock of buffle head ducks & they seem to accept it's presence like one of their own.

Some mornings the anchorage was enveloped in dense fog and kinda magical. Since we were the only boat, I didn't think it necessary to sound a bell fwd. & a gong aft. Didn't have to worry about the stove running out of fuel as it is fed by the port aft diesel tank (60 gals.).

. The house was very cold on our return. A roaring fire in the wood stove soon solved that. We had our dinner on the couch right in front of the wood stove while rest of the house heated up. On return to marina, we walked home to get car & retrieve gear from boat. This time, it was after sunset (somewhat dark) & driving down Commercial Ave. just abeam the Donut House the car in front of me hit the brakes to avoid 3 deer trying to cross the busy street. I came to a stop & they trotted by the side of my car like a bunch of jay walking what-evers......

Gary

sleddog
12-11-2017, 10:13 AM
While Star sailors were racing in Nassau, and Francois Gabert is racing the clock in the N. Atlantic, yesterday I was racing common murres off Santa Cruz.

As I left Santa Cruz breakwater, the only other boat in sight on the glassy sea was MOKU with Howard and Yvonne.
I pedaled over to say hi, then headed for Mile Buoy small in the distance to the southwest.

I fell into a comfortable rhythm of pedaling of about 45-50 revolutions/minute. It was warm and sunny, and I was soon shirtless and trying to stay hydrated on a December afternoon. Nearby were many common murres, also known as guillemots, some headed in my direction paddling at the same speed.

I glanced at my GPS speed puck and found I was making about 1.8 knots over the bottom. The sails were not doing much with the lack of wind and the telltales hung limp.

It took 55 minutes to pedal the 1.34 miles to Mile Buoy, a good test of the pedal drive system and my stamina. Rounding Mile Buoy, a dozen sealions barked their approval. Returning to the Harbor again took 55 minutes, which computed to about 1.5 knots of average boatspeed for the round trip.

All that, and the common murres, weighing 2 pounds each, were keeping up with my 22 footer. Good stuff.

Philpott
12-11-2017, 02:27 PM
While Star sailors were racing in Nassau, and Francois Gabert is racing the clock in the N. Atlantic, yesterday I was racing common murres off Santa Cruz.

Murre speed. Nice little story.

sleddog
12-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Congrats and respect to Francois Gabart on completing his solo Around the World Voyage on MACIF in a record time that few thought was possible - 42 days, 16 hours, 40 min., 35 seconds. Wow. That beats the old record of Thomas Colville by more than 6 days, 10 hours.

sleddog
12-18-2017, 10:03 AM
All manner of exotic wildlife can and does emerge from the jungle at Yelapa, a small village on the Bay of Banderas, 15 miles SW of Puerto Vallarta.

Annie went out to hang clothing on the clothes line. And found it already occupied. A 12" stickbug was slowly making its way south.... the front end of the insect is not the end with the triangular bulb.

Has anyone else seen a stickbug? I had a praying mantis live on WILDFLOWER for a week in Hawaii. Named her "Alice" and she seemed quite content. Finally before departure I boxed her up for delivery into the mangroves near Kaneohe Yacht Club.

Then here was the spider that sailed with me on WILDFLOWER from New Zealand to Hawaii ...each night spinning a new web between the solar panel and wind vane bracket. Even in nature, Hope Springs Eternal.

sleddog
12-19-2017, 07:16 AM
The family of one of our SSS solo sailors has recently evacuated their Santa Barbara home. But are "guardedly optimistic that our home will survive" the devastating Thomas fire, third largest in state history. "We have the ‘essentials’ offloaded and safe just in case…."

A new and effective tool in the fire fight near Ventura/Santa Barbara has been the "Super Scooper" aircraft, built in Canada. It is a highwing, turbo-prop, amphibious plane that can land on the ocean or nearby lakes, scoop up 1,620 gallons of water without stopping, and then resume flying into the fire drop area. In addition, they can add retardant to the scooped water to assist the fire fight, but aren't doing so in this case. The amount of water the Super Scoopers can carry is much greater than helicopters, and they are much faster in turn around time than helos or larger, ground based, aircraft.

What is the sailing connection? The Super Scooper aircraft are using industrial-sized Elvstrom self bailers to scoop water, similar to many of the new generation of water ballasted race boats.

In the Thomas Fire, there are two Super Scoopers operating in tandem. They are using nearby Lake Cachuma for water pickups, and it only takes 15 minutes to drop water near Santa Barbara, make a lake landing, and return to the drop area. The firefighters are greatly impressed watching these aircraft work, and the planes have evidently helped save many homes.

Here's a short video of the Super Scooper, technically named the Bombardier 415.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4U2ctIdzE

Philpott
12-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Wow!!! that is SO cool! And ingenious. Sending best wishes out to "The family of one of our SSS solo sailors". That is scary stuff.

Dazzler
12-20-2017, 12:08 PM
More info on the Bombardier 415:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LKF8G5huw

Very interesting aircraft designed, built and maximized for a very specific purpose. My father was a flying boat pilot and sometimes spoke about the unique challenges. His license reads, "Single and multi-engine, land and sea." You may note that they don't actually "land" the Super Scooper (i.e. let the hull rest on the water) while doing the water pick-up. Part of the reason is that flying boats (like planing sailboats) "stick" to the water. The hull is stepped to help break that suction on take-off.

It's also interesting to note how the foils and aerodynamic controls are maximized for the purpose (quick take-offs and maximum slow speed performance). Most aircraft are designed to maximize speed. Not this one. It's really not much different than thinking about how to maximize sail shape for different wind and sea conditions.

This is not just the type, but one of the specific flying boats that my father flew:
https://www.neam.org/ac-sikorsky-vs44.php

Tom

sleddog
12-20-2017, 01:30 PM
This is not just the type, but one of the specific flying boats that my father flew:
https://www.neam.org/ac-sikorsky-vs44.php

Tom

Wow, Tom, thanks for the fascinating links ....Your father must have had quite the stories about piloting flying boats. The closest I ever came was flying to Catalina on a two engine flying boat, where each passenger was weighed, and seated accordingly.

Unless I'm mistaken, here is the story of the restoration of the EXCAMBIAN vs44 Sikorsky flying boat your father flew.

http://www.sikorskyarchives.com/S-44%20restore.php

AlanH
12-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Offseason cruising in the San Juans means empty coves, wildlife, and why good friends Gary and Ev have converted from sail to a 34 foot, diesel stove heated, tug, SLOPOKE. A letter yesterday from Gary highlights a recent winter cruise:

BIG High Pressure & inversion meant cold temps here but light winds. Always worry about the dreaded "Fraser Valley" outflow. Kind of like "Arctic" version of the Santa Ana winds. Out 6 days last week on Slo Poke, which was only possible because of the diesel stove making the boat interior toasty/warm. Basically, fired up the stove on departure & turned off on return. It ran perfectly! Hiked up to Reed & Duck lakes on Cypress Island & found them frozen over. Going ashore in the morning, the beach landing sites had driftwood & chunks of bull kelp coated with ice. The bird population was amazing. Ducks everywhere, golden eye, bufflehead, merganzers mallards.......you name it & they were present. In Eagle Harbor there was a sea gull who thought it was a duck. It hung out with a large flock of buffle head ducks & they seem to accept it's presence like one of their own.

Some mornings the anchorage was enveloped in dense fog and kinda magical. Since we were the only boat, I didn't think it necessary to sound a bell fwd. & a gong aft. Didn't have to worry about the stove running out of fuel as it is fed by the port aft diesel tank (60 gals.).

Now, THAT is a powerboat.

sleddog
12-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Leo's restoration of the historic TALLY HO in Sequim, near Port Townsend, WA continues. His commitment, energy, and skill is truly awe-inspiring. In Leo's most recent video is also a short look at what is going on in Port Townsend boat restoration, specifically Robert D'Arcy, owner and captain of the lovely schooner MARTHA, and Robert's leading the reconstruction of a Spidsgatter, similar to Kaci Cronkhite's much beloved PAX.

You think removing your chainplates for inspection is an intimidating undertaking? Maybe not so much after watching this fun and educational video, 17 minutes in length. http://sampsonboat.co.uk/12-chainplates-knees-live-oak-bronze/

Happy Solstice and Holiday Best Wishes!

sleddog
12-23-2017, 07:15 AM

Last evening's SpaceX Falcon 9 missile launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base, NW of Santa Barbara, was spectacular as viewed from our cliffs here in Capitola. Even though the launch was 200 miles south, we visually first picked up the red flame about a minute after the scheduled launch of 5:27 pm. Then the two stage Falcon 9 skyward track became visible as it ascended, turning a broad swath of the post sunset sky into a spectacular plume of snowy white that lasted for a good 10 minutes. Reportedly, nearby in the supermarket parking lot, many stopped to gawk at the Friday night lights.

I guess Southern CA got a real light show, with most of the population unaware of what was going on with the rocket launch that delivered 10 Iridium NEXT satellites into low earth orbit....Cars were pulling over on roads and freeways for a live view of what Space X founder Elon Musk jokingly tweeted was "Nuclear alien UFO from North Korea." Not too funny for the LA fire department and other emergency outlets who had to answer hundreds of calls and put out explanations on radio and TV to calm the public. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVi01wACopc

MAGICdreamer
12-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Yes, we can report that it was a nice show from Los Osos as well. The local Charter internet feed was, as is usual these days, lagging and sputtering along, so by the time they showed the lift off, the rocket was already climbing...we dashed outside to take a gander and were able to watch the throttle-down of the first stage and then the separation, followed by the light-off, of the upper stage. The sound of the lift-off arrived about this time. We could just see the booster dropping back and the sun highlighted the firings of its attitude jets. Now if one happened to be at sea last night, with the clear calm conditions, I imagine it would have been rather lovely, if scary should you not know what was going on.....

BobJ
12-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Merry Christmas All!

sleddog
12-24-2017, 08:19 AM
Unclear on Concept. Is this the latest version of heaving to (stationary sailing) without a sea anchor? Or tacking by reversing headway, like a proa? Give the gentleman credit for getting rid of the boom.

Also "Unclear on Concept" is why SpaceX's Elon Musk is launching his personal cherry red Tesla Roadster as the sole payload on the next rocket and will put his electric car into orbit around Mars, WTF. "Because we can"

sleddog
12-24-2017, 06:34 PM
On a more serious note: how a tether carabiner failed in the Clipper Race, and a life was lost (MOB). Sir Robin Knox-Johnson explains the probable cause. https://www.facebook.com/sailorgirlHQ/videos/vl.192481091304188/1596230007087424/?type=1

mike cunningham
12-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Unclear on Concept. Is this the latest version of heaving to (stationary sailing) without a sea anchor? Or tacking by reversing headway, like a proa? Give the gentleman credit for getting rid of the boom.

Also "Unclear on Concept" is why SpaceX's Elon Musk is launching his personal cherry red Tesla Roadster as the sole payload on the next rocket and will put his electric car into orbit around Mars, WTF. "Because we can"

A demo flight will typically include a payload of some sort, water ballast, concrete slabs or whatever. Musk is a showman, what better show than this? What I want to know is who is going to volunteer to fly with the car?

sleddog
12-31-2017, 09:17 AM

Our SSS Forum not a usual place for movie reviews....but with my taking time off to help caretake an energetic 2.5 year old, we watched a lot of fun animated movies on Netflix over the Holidays, all suitable for kids. But especially fun and appropriate for adults too. Here's what we watched and all recommended: Finding Dory (birthed at Monterey Bay Aquarium); Secret Life of Pets (you'll never see your dog, cat, bird, or rabbit the same); Sing (good story, great songs); Rango; Winnie the Pooh; and perhaps the best of them all, Moana, a sailing/voyaging story conceived at Hanalei Bay/Napali Coast.

As Synthia is want to say: Hippy Gnu Beer!
And Best Regards to The General in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, who loves this place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evzfGbFTr0Q

jamottep
12-31-2017, 02:03 PM
On a more serious note: how a tether carabiner failed in the Clipper Race, and a life was lost (MOB). Sir Robin Knox-Johnson explains the probable cause. https://www.facebook.com/sailorgirlHQ/videos/vl.192481091304188/1596230007087424/?type=1

Thanks for sharing ... The key thing I heard: one guy had his two tethers clipped ...

sleddog
12-31-2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks for sharing ... The key thing I heard: one guy had his two tethers clipped ...

Hi PJ,
You'll hear more than I about MOB's in this edition of the Clipper Race. The sad fatality on Leg 3 when two crew were swept over the lifelines while lowering the #3 was likely the result of a side loaded safety hook (carabiner) that caught on a deck cleat as Simon went over the lifelines and fractured his carabiner gate, leaving the tether useless.

We can all learn from that instance, especially regarding keeping tethers as short as possible, using a second tether as necessary, and being aware of sideloads.

Knowing this before hand, what the heck just happened on the most recent Clipper Race Leg 5, (Sydney-Hobart Race) when someone went over from INVICTUS GAMES DOWNUNDER (Sir Robin Knox-Johnson was aboard INVICTUS) and was fortunately rescued by the crew of Clipper racer HOTELPLANNER.com? That in itself was a meritorious act of seamanship. Then HOTELPLANNER returned the uninjured MOB to INVICTUS. Wow.

But another MOB off a Clipper boat? https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/news

https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/sir-robin-leads-uk-veterans-to-victory-in-ashes-on-the-water

Wylieguy
12-31-2017, 09:26 PM
Years ago there was a madman sailor/innovator in Sausalito. His mid-twenty foot sloop deck and cabin top was riddled with various holes where he's moved the mast around, he tried a mizzen mast and even a Felucca- style rig. He must have had a warehouse full of "booms" and even had a version of Wylie's wishbone boom at one time. For a long time he had the boat rigged as a "staysail" sloop. The shortened mast was at the transom with a "forestay" down to the stem. The sail was a jib hoisted horizontally and sheeted to the cabin-top mainsheet track. He adjusted the sail by moving the mainsheet car. It actually worked fairly well when reaching up and down the Sausalito waterfront where it was pretty much "self-tending."

sleddog
12-31-2017, 11:50 PM
"Everything that's old is new again." Not a Hobie 16. Thanks to William Letts Oliver, we have photos of catamaran DUSTER racing in 1894 on SF Bay. Can anyone identify the waterfront? I think DUSTER was a bit undercanvased in this photo, as her singlehanded skipper had flipped (and righted) his boat shortly before. That's the RC and spectators in the far right background on the Club deck.

BobJ
01-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Happy New Year Skip!

https://vimeo.com/239113354

skatzman
01-06-2018, 06:55 PM
It looks to me that DUSTER is sailing on the waterfront off Belvedere Cove. Corinthian YC (or present site of SFYC) in background.

sleddog
01-06-2018, 07:55 PM
It looks to me that DUSTER is sailing on the waterfront off Belvedere Cove. Corinthian YC (or present site of SFYC) in background.

Hi Steve, Happy New Year to you and DIANNE! Sorry, catamaran DUSTER is not finishing near Belvedere Cove or CYC, but you can guess again.

By the way, no one has identified Sally Green as being the original head turning color of the 10 meter SALLY. So I am withdrawing chicken dinner prize at CBC for that piece of sailing trivia. The story is the original owner of SALLY asked his wife what color she wanted the new boat. She didn't really care much for sailing, looked down at her Ponds Cold Cream Jar lid, and said, "there, that color.."

Z-Spar paints made Sally Green paint for many years, and it's still available by special order...it was a most beautiful color on a beautiful boat. I got to see her a lot, as SALLY was moored next door to my grandparent's house in Balboa before being donated to UCSantaCruz...

A beautiful photo of restored SALLY, now painted white, is on SSS Forum page 236, post 2358, date 12/06/2017.

sleddog
01-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Sad news: ANNALISE, a Wylie 34, lovingly owned by Paul and Anne for 33 years, sunk at her slip in Gig Harbor, and is being scrapped...from the photo, it appears a below waterline hose detached. Reportedly the thru-hull was open... With the vibration of small diesel engines, checking hose clamps (I only see one) and hose tightness on fittings regularly is wise. The sad end of a well loved boat.

DaveH
01-08-2018, 12:40 PM
When I was a kid, one of my "jobs" whenever we went sailing [once the family boat had scaled up to having an inboard] was to open the raw water seacock when we got to the boat and close it before we left.
Without fail; Every. Single. Freakin'. Time.
Even when we went to the grocery store in Friday Harbor on the summer cruise... I remember that one because by that point I was a snotty teenager and argued that it seemed a bit over the top (or choicer words to that effect).
Dad could be really old school.

But I still won't leave the boat without closing all the seacocks.

Thanks Dad.

DH

sleddog
01-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Happy New Year Skip!
https://vimeo.com/239113354

Thanks, Bob! And Happy New Year to you.

As an unapologetic romantic, seeing the Herreshoff "Fighting Forty" MARILEE sailing again after her second recent restoration is a magical treat. You see, my sister is also "Marilee" and she has a 8.5x11 sailing photo of her namesake hanging over her office desk.

In an scene of pure serendipity, one recent night at the Throckmorton Theatre in Mill Valley, my sister Marilee and I ran into long time sailing friend Bill Barton from the iMP days. Bill was wearing a MARILEE crew shirt and when introduced to my sister, shed his shirt and presented it to her.

A couple of years earlier I was making a pilgrimage to the Herreshoff Marine Museum in Bristol, R.I., where MARILEE was built in 1926. I happened to have learned the password (you don't pronounce Herreshoff with the "H", but rather HerrSoff,") and was told where I might find Halsey Herreshoff, Capt.Nat's grandson. I had some questions about the traditional green bottom paint and found Halsey's office across Burnside St., the door open but no Halsey..I peered inside and there were blue sail bags stacked ceiling high, all labeled "RUGOSA."

RUGOSA is Halsey's NY 40, sistership to MARILEE. And RUGOSA, 65 feet overall, was swinging at her mooring just offshore where Halsey was probably tinkering down below. Here's RUGOSA and Halsey in a short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RviVY7FCUPQ

sleddog
01-11-2018, 05:10 PM
As kids we spent significant time body surfing between the Wedge and Newport Pier. During those years, we never had an encounter with something live and dangerous.

The recent capture of a 25 inch, rare, venomous yellow-bellied sea snake at Newport Beach is eye opening and possibly belies the new normal. Likely drawn north in search of food by warming ocean temps, this marine serpent was found in the surfline at 18th St.. It's short sharp fangs are capable of delivering extremely potent venom, although local herpetologists say it is usually a pretty mellow animal unless picked up.

This is only the fifth Yellow-Belly (Pelamis platura,) found in S.Cal since 1972, when one washed up on a San Clemente Beach. Monday's snake was captured by marine biologists from the Pacific Marine Mammal Center, deemed sick, and euthanized to be studied. Poor snake.

Water temperature in the vicinity of Monday's snake sighting was about 60 degrees F, a non-El Nino year. Maybe too cold for the Yellow-Belly, who got caught out of it's range, which is tropical waters of the Pacific and Indian Oceans.
Yellow-Bellys are strictly pelagic, don't have scales, give birth at sea, have a flattened tail paddle, and never come ashore.

Curiously, Yellow Bellys cannot exist in fresh water, but require fresh water to survive, drinking precipitation that collects on the surface of sea water.

sleddog
01-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Not sure why it took 11 months, but the National Center for Environmental Information, a division of NOAA, just this past week certified a 199 mph (173 knot) wind gust as the strongest wind ever recorded in California. The record was set at Alpine Meadows ski resort last February, at a private weather station atop the 8,637' local peak. Alpine is near the north west shore of Lake Tahoe.

It is difficult to imagine wind of this strength, especially cold wind. I don't know what the wind chill factor would have been, because it is off the chart. Doesn't matter, because any human present not strapped to the ground would likely have been blown off the peak.

Just for reference, here is the resident meteorologist atop New Hampshire's Mt. Washington Observatory attempting to stand in a mere 109 mph wind. Mt. Washington holds the record for the highest wind speed ever recorded in the Lower 48 at 231 mph, recorded on April 12, 1934.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wWrdwZpzvk

Which begs the question: just how is wind speed of this velocity recorded, and how is the instrument positioned, maintained, and calibrated? Unless the instrument was tested in a wind tunnel with sophisticated instrumentation, it would seem accuracy would be a question, as it is for most off-the-shelf masthead cup type anemometers on boats.

The most wind I've experienced was at the Mono Lake Ranger Station, where the westerly, downslope breeze was gusting solidly over 70 mph, with lulls in the 60's, and several big rig trucks along nearby Hwy 395 lay on their sides. Mono Lake, usually greenish/brown, was solid white with spume.

I was also at sea in the "toughest Bermuda Race in history," the 1972 race to the Onion Patch, when the fleet crossed tracks with the tail end of Hurricane Agnes. Aboard the 68 foot ultra-light schooner NEW WORLD we had a close encounter with a water spout, and were down to storm canvas: storm jib and triple reefed main and still leaping off waves at 6-7 knots.

This was the last "traditional" Bermuda Race, as no instrumentation was allowed. A sextant was useless in the wind and rain as we closed on Bermuda's fringing reef.... Here's a brief story by good friend Andy Mac of that Bermuda Race, when even mighty WINDWARD PASSAGE blew out sails and had rig damage. http://bermudarace.com/looking-back-navigating-the-wildest-thrash/

Gamayun
01-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Your post reminds me of the stories my older brother would tell me about Mount Washington in New Hampshire where he lives. He would take me there when I would visit in the summer and tell me how it is the windiest place in the world. A good story of that record-taking measurement is here:
https://www.mountwashington.org/about-us/history/world-record-wind.aspx in which they say, "It is incredibly difficult and dangerous to climb atop a building in winds greater than 180 miles per hour to free an anemometer of ice." Umm, yeah? I have always been a little freaked by wind (a funny thing for a sailor to admit to) but when I was about 8 years old in Florida, there was a hurricane brewing and I ran outside to get the wash off the line. My mother, a single parent, was still at work and we kids were home alone. I distinctly recall my feet leaving the ground as I ran out to "rescue" the clothes. It's a surreal memory that's clear to me even today, but thinking back, it was probably only 50 or 60 knots since I was a light kid. Years later, the biggest wind I experienced was around 100 MPH from another hurricane in Florida. The noise was more scary than the wind. When I first started sailing, I swore I'd never want to go out in anything more than 20 knots. Sailing SF Bay disabused me of that, but 36 knots is about the biggest I've seen so far. Baby steps....

BobJ
01-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Not sure why it took 11 months, but the National Center for Environmental Information, a division of NOAA, just this past week certified a 199 mph (173 knot) wind gust as the strongest wind ever recorded in California. The record was set at Alpine Meadows ski resort last February, at a private weather station atop the 8,637' local peak. Alpine is near the north west shore of Lake Tahoe.

This was near the Siberia Chair (Squaw-Alpine) the previous month. It's a clip of a screen shot from NOAA. I don't remember if it was knots or MPH:

"Puff ON!"

AlanH
01-15-2018, 10:50 AM
I recall a summer backpacking trip when a front came in and wow....was it ever windy. It was a lot windier than anything I'd ever experienced on the water, but it only lasted for about 15 minutes. 60? Maybe 70?

The only time I've seen 40 knots on the water was a squall just out past the first entrance buoys on a Farallones race in around 2000 or 2001. That lasted bout 15 minutes as well, but took a toll of the fleets sails. I have a hard time conceiving of 180 knots.

DonAhrens
01-17-2018, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=sleddog;19387]Sad news: ANNALISE, a Wylie 34, lovingly owned by Paul and Anne for 33 years, sunk at her slip in Gig Harbor, and is being scrapped...from the photo, it appears a below waterline hose detached. Reportedly the thru-hull was open... With the vibration of small diesel engines, checking hose clamps (I only see one) and hose tightness on fittings regularly is wise. The sad end of a well loved boat.

I believe Annalise was originally built by Dan Knewland and at the time was named Pegasus. She was a highly modified Wylie 34. Dan sailed and I believe won at least one Single-handed Transpac with the boat. I remember seeing Dan, in front of North Coast Yachts, almost every weekend for several weeks long boarding the hull. It's sad to see her demise.

sleddog
01-23-2018, 10:00 AM
With Santa Cruz Harbor entrance closed because of shoaling and giant surf, nothing for it but to go in search of the trail of one of California's most famous banditos, Joaquin Murrieta (1829-1853). Murrieta was a Mexican from Hermosillo who came to California to take part in the 1849 Gold Rush only to experience discrimination, his wife raped, his brother lynched, and he himself horsewhipped.

Depending on who you believe, Murrieta became a horse rustler, or bandito, hiding out in the Panoche Valley in the caves of the Diablo Range, above and beyond the New Idria mine. Again, depending on who you believe, Murrieta's exploits earned him a name as the "Mexican Robin Hood" and a $6,000 bounty was issued for his head by the California Legislature.

A posse of 20 California Rangers, led by Los Angeles Deputy Sheriff Harry Love, went after Murrieta in 1853 and with a lucky break caught Murrieta's band of desperadoes, bringing in the severed head of Murrieta preserved in whisky to claim the reward.

Sheriff Love further profited by exhibiting Murrieta's head throughout the state, charging $1 for a view. Eventually the head ended up in a San Francisco museum, where it went missing in the Great Earthquake of 1906.

But was it really Joaquin Murrieta's head preserved in whisky? Some say it was not, and that he lived to be an old man. Murrieta's story became the stuff of legend when he was modeled as Zorro (Spanish for "fox"), a fictional character created in 1919 by pulp writer Johnston McCulley.

With RUBY in tow, as we bounced along the pot holed and deserted country road 30 miles south of Hollister, I could easily imagine Joaquin Murrieta and his gang riding nearby, silhouetted along the ridges of the Diablo Range.

sleddog
01-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Never a dull moment in the middle of the night:

A bulletin has been issued by the National Tsunami Warning Center. A Tsunami Watch is in effect for the California coast due to an 8.2 earthquake in Kodiak, Alaska. .

A Tsunami Watch is an alert issued to areas outside the warned area. The area included in the watch is based on the magnitude of the earthquake. For earthquakes over magnitude 7.0, the watch area is 1-hour tsunami travel time outside the warning zone.
We anticipate that if a tsunami occurs in Santa Cruz Harbor, it will be dangerous dockside and aboard your vessel. We are not recommending people come to the harbor, but monitor the situation and notify 911 if you know of someone in the immediate harbor area who may be in danger.
The harbor patrol is actively watching docks, monitoring activity, securing lines, contacting known liveaboards.
If you are aboard your vessel, it is recommended you vacate your vessel and seek higher ground.

Fortunately the tsunami alert was canceled...the last tsunami to hit Santa Cruz Harbor destroyed much of the harbor, sunk dozens of boats, and caused $25 million in damages, still being repaired seven years later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt8qBSZEn0

sleddog
01-25-2018, 09:09 PM
With RUBY in tow, as we bounced along the pot holed and deserted country road 30 miles south of Hollister, I could easily imagine Joaquin Murrieta and his gang riding nearby, silhouetted along the ridges of the Diablo Range.

So we did run into Joaquin Murrieta (aka Zorro) and his merry band of Robin Hood banditos last week. Here's the story:

Murrieta had his hideouts in the rocky cliffs of the Diablo Range, at the southern end of the Panoche. The Panoche (pa-no-che) is a wide open and empty valley, 20 miles wide and 50 miles long, 35 miles west of Los Banos and the same distance south of Hollister. It is a beautiful and serene location with nothing for many miles but wildflower laden hills, coyotes, kit foxes, bob cats, and dark night skies. There's only one way in and out, Little Panoche Rd.

Driving east along Little Panoche Rd. we came to our destination, the oasis of Mercey Hot Springs, and pulled into our campsite. Nearby are the tubs, a pool, some cabins, two rental Airstreams, and not much else except for the shade of some very old trees.

Mercey's warm and medicinal waters were discovered bv Native Americans, later by sheep rancher John Merci. Even Hollywood had its day, as actors would discretely bring their mistresses for a vacation. But the hotel burned down in the 1930's, and things remain rustic.

I'm sure Joaquin Murrieta frequented Mercey Hot Springs, as the trail through the Panoche passed nearby.

There are many rabbits, ground squirrels, and frogs on Mercey's 160 acres. Good hunting for local residents. We had a bobcat walk through camp, and coyote paw prints followed the muddy creek bank.

Overhead, on tree limbs, resided the spirits of Joaquin Murrieta's gang...We counted at least 3 great horned owls, several long earred owls, and a heart shaped barn owl. At 5:12 pm each evening, the owls would take flight, and their dinner hunting began. Murrieta's right hand man was "Tres Dedos," aka "3 Fingered Jack." It was not hard to imagine the barn owl being the ghost of 3 Fingered Jack.

One evening as I was walking near the creek to check out the vocal frog population, I shone my flashlite downward. There, nearby on the water's edge, was a large juvenile great horned owl we'd named "Wheezer" for his plaintive "feed me" squawks to nearby mom. It was obvious what Wheezer was doing: fishing for frogs.

If you want to meet Joaquin Murrieta, 3 Fingered Jack, Wheezer and the rest of the merry band of owls, they hang out at 36-42-36 N x 120-51-36 W.

H Spruit
01-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Yes, it is a shame, but makes total sense, that the ghost of a notorious outlaw would find joy, when feasting on the highest level of spiritual existence, FROGS!

sleddog
01-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Congrats to Matt and John on finishing first in last Saturday's 3 Bridge Fiasco! A combination of good planning, execution, and perseverance swung luck their way, and IMMORAL, their Moore-24, was the only boat to successfully round Treasure Island counter-clockwise, the winning move.

A significant factor in their negotiation of TI's southern and eastern sides was an active and bold use of anchoring in the shoal water and eddys just feet from the cliffs...Their near shore proximity allowed them to quickly pull up the anchor when a stray puff visited, and they would advance several lengths before re-anchoring while waiting for the next puff.

Many boats anchored during the 3BF to prevent losing ground. For Matt and John, converting anchoring into an activity that helped advance forward progress, not something that can be readily practiced, was key to their well earned win. Kudos, Gentlemen.

sleddog
01-31-2018, 02:50 PM
Impressive beyond description, watching Leo size, locate, and move 35 feet of massive purple heart timber for TALLY HO's new keelson. The timbers, which he has to scarf together, weigh more than 3,000 pounds and cost upwards of $6,000.

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/14-buying-a-new-keel-timber/

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/14-part-2-cutting-and-fitting-the-keel-scarph/

Just watching Leo cut and shape the scarf with a modified chainsaw and power planers is worth a few minutes of attention. You'll not see this skill and craftsmanship anyplace else. I love it, the chickens walking in and out of the scene, the parrot participating in encouragement. TALLY HO is in good hands.

Here on the homefront, I've been asked to help locate a slightly smaller version of TALLY HO: Peter Tangvald's 43 foot, E.P.Hart designed, double-ended yawl WINDFLOWER. Tangvald sailed WINDFLOWER from England to San Pedro in 1958 before selling WINDFLOWER, and shortly after losing his life on a reef.

WBChristie
02-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Recommended reading “At any cost - love, life and death at sea” Peter Tangvalds autobiography. Also, his son was lost at sea fairly recently.

AlanH
02-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Hmmm. Panoche Valley camping. This sounds interesting.

sleddog
02-02-2018, 07:02 PM
New Zealand's recently sailed Mahurangi Regatta is quite the classic yacht gathering! A bit like our own Master Mariners.
http://classicsailboats.org/mahurangi-regatta-january-27-2018/

Gotta love THELMA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7HQF5x6jjw

Maybe some remember THELMA from her time on SF Bay.
http://www.classicyachtcharitabletrust.org.nz/trust_boats.htm?boat_id=5

Philpott
02-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Beeeeoootiful! Lovely video and really interesting story, Skip! Tell us you saw her sailing once when you were a young lad? Did anybody here have the chance to sail on her? Imagine seeing that boat sail past on the Sacramento! It would have been like a vision.

sleddog
02-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Nigel the gannet and two concrete friends. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)

Nigel, a handsome gannet bird who lived on a desolate island off the coast of New Zealand, died suddenly this week. Wherever his soul has landed, the singles scene surely cannot be worse.

The bird was lured to Mana Island five years ago by wildlife officials who, in hopes of establishing a gannet colony there, had placed concrete gannet decoys on cliffsides and broadcast the sound of the species’ calls. Nigel accepted the invitation, arriving in 2013 as the island’s first gannet in 40 years. But none of his brethren joined him.

In the absence of a living love interest, Nigel became enamored with one of the 80 faux birds. He built her — it? — a nest. He groomed her “chilly, concrete feathers . . . year after year after year,” the Guardian reported. He died next to her in that unrequited love nest, the vibrant orange-yellow plumage of his head contrasting, as ever, with the weathered, lemony paint of hers.

“Whether or not he was lonely, he certainly never got anything back, and that must have been [a] very strange experience,” conservation ranger Chris Bell, who also lives on the island, told the paper. “I think we all have a lot of empathy for him, because he had this fairly hopeless situation.”

As he persisted in this futile courtship, Nigel accrued something of a fan base. Mana is a scientific reserve that, like other New Zealand islands, has been the focus of replanting and rodent eradication efforts. Friends of Mana Island, one of the groups that has planted trees and shrubs, said on Facebook that Nigel “won the hearts” of members and volunteers who “spent many hours over the years maintaining the concrete colony.”

A photo of Nigel’s favorite spot on Mana Island, taken a few days after his death. The birds pictured are concrete gannet decoys. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)

Another gannet spent some time on Mana last year. Unfortunately, it was a he, dubbed Norman.

Perhaps the saddest twist to this tale is that three other gannets settled on Mana last month, after conservation officials tweaked the sound system used to attract them, according to the New Zealand website Stuff. This raised the possibility of breeding. But Nigel paid them no attention.

“This just feels like the wrong ending to the story,” Bell told Stuff. “He died right at the beginning of something great.”

But Nigel — whose nickname was “no mates” — will forever be remembered as the pioneer of the colony and credited with signaling to the new trio that Mana was suitable habitat, Bell said. ~Karin Brulliard, Washington Post

A volunteer paints a gannet decoy on Mana , a small island off the southwest coast of New Zealand’s north island. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)

sleddog
02-03-2018, 06:22 PM

The recent bizarre fiasco of a New Yorker attempting to board a trans-Continental flight with her "emotional support animal," a large male peacock named Dexter, brings up an interesting question. I have a friend who was a J-24 class champion, who raced with his well behaved German Shepherd as crew. David's sailing success led to the local class banning his dog as un-measured crew weight in a class that is strict about such things...

I've raced Pacific Cups where fellow double-handers aboard EL TIBURON sailed over and back, twice, with their beloved kitty, "Snowball." Snowball was quite at home, and lived comfortably in the sock drawer. The only problem, and it wasn't really a problem for Snowball, was the State of Hawaii is very strict about the importation of pets. They are not allowed ashore under any circumstances without first being quarantined for an inordinate length of time.

If you are thinking of sailing the SHTP with your emotional support rattlesnake, or your aquarium of tropical fish (this actually happened), best to first check with authorities. hihi

sleddog
02-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Race2Alaska not your cup of tea?

Not too late to book a cabin on a new "mega"cruise ship to Alaska...You'll never be lonely, with 4,000 fellow passengers served by 2,100 crew, on board the recently launched NORWEGIAN BLISS. If the Alaskan landscape or marine life is too boring , you can order a drink from a robotic bartender, then go drive on the world's largest go-cart race track. Or take out a little anger shooting laser tag at other passengers or passing R2AK competitors.... http://www.bliss.ncl.com/the_Ship/race_track_and_laser_tag

H Spruit
02-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Well now...
It seems that the Norwegians do, in-fact, have a sense of humor!

sleddog
02-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Well now...
It seems that the Norwegians do, in-fact, have a sense of humor!

I needed a sense of humor at today's Drivers License renewal and testing. Even with an appointment, that didn't help the malfunctioning computer that wouldn't recognize my thumb print and sent me back into an interminable line to retrieve a substitute paper test.

There were 18 questions, and you could only miss 3 to pass. One question I hadn't encountered in the practice tests was whether it is legal to park in front of your own driveway... You'd think it is OK, but I guessed and answered "NO" and that was the right answer. Whew!

Finally I found the sense of humor to which H Spruit alludes: Check out question 17 below:

The primary traveling aids for a blind person include:
a. a red cane or a trained guide dog
b. a white cane or a wheelchair
c. a white cane or a trained guide cat
d. a white cane or a trained guide dog

How did they know for 7 years I walked my cat daily on her leash?

MAGICdreamer
02-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Well, we are in good hands then with Chula...

sleddog
02-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Well, we are in good hands then with Chula...

Chula. Plug and play.

sleddog
02-10-2018, 04:22 PM
From whence and when came the first fiberglass boat?

Though the origin is probably lost for all time, the term "fiberglas," with one "S," was patented in 1936. Before this, plastics of many compositions were being experimented with. Formica, Melamine, Micarta, Synthane, Aqualite, and Bakelite resins all were being developed by industry.

Plywood remained the material of choice, especially for boats and planes during WWII. But in 1942 a fiberglas Snipe, or similar day sailor, was built, reputedly using palm fronds with urea formaldehyde resin.

Here is a good look, perhaps around 1950. Imagine laying up fiberglas with bare hands, wearing a suit and tie? God love the Brits and Save the Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dePu2ooBnSE&sns=em

sleddog
02-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Yesterday, Annie and family went for a discovery cruise in Milford Sound, at the south end of New Zealand's South Island. The ocean was calm and they went for a brief detour outside into the Tasman Sea.

The Tasman Sea, which lies between SE Australia and New Zealand, is not always so placid, as we discovered on IMPROBABLE in the 1974 Hobart (Tasmania) to Auckand Race, a six day, 1,100 mile, crossing.

The Tasman was first crossed, East to West, solo, by famed singlehander Francis Chichester on his Gypsy Moth bi-plane in 1931. Chichester was unable to carry enough fuel for the full crossing, and converted his Gypsy Moth into a sea plane with auxiliary tanks as floats. This enabled a landing at Lord Howe Island for refueling, where Chichester's plane was flipped by strong winds and had to be rebuilt before successfully continuing the audacious passage.

The Tasman has seen the loss of several notable yachts. In 1980 yacht designer Paul Whiting's 40 footer SMACKWATER JACK disappeared with all hands in the same Hobart to Auckland Race after reporting atrocious conditions in a tropical cyclone.

More recently, in 2016, the famed schooner NINA disappeared without a trace in the Tasman. Despite the largest maritime search in New Zealand history, nothing was ever found of NINA and her 7 crew.

The Tasman is about to get slammed again, this time with Cyclone Gita. Gita devasted American Samoa a few days ago. Then as a Category 4, Gita yesterday scored a direct hit on Tonga, the strongest on record. Even Tonga's Met Bureau lost its roof as the 930 mb. storm and its eyewall passed overhead.

I'm tracking Gita, as it is forecast to pass south of Fiji before recurving southeastward with the real possibility of impacting New Zealand.

sleddog
02-15-2018, 09:17 PM
Being of curious mind, I've wondered who was the first woman to circumnavigate.

Naomi James completed a solo circumnavigation, east to west, via the 3 Great Capes in 272 days, finishing in 1978 in the 53 foot EXPRESS CRUSADER. James' passage was 201 days longer than it took Ellen MacArthur in 2005, sailing west to east in the large tri B&Q.

Naomi James' circumnavigation was particularly intrepid as she was sailing mostly upwind against the prevailing Westerlies, the "Roaring 40's" and the "Furious 50's." James had only 6 weeks prior ocean sailing experience, and was seasick much of the way....

An old sailor's expression: Below 40 degrees south there is no law, below 50 degrees south there is no God.”

The first woman to sail around the world was Jeanne Baret, a French woman who, disguised as a man, sailed on the ETOILE one of two naval ships on the French expedition led by Louis-Antoine de Bougainville in 1768. Bougainville was a contemporary of Capt. Cook, and the first French captain to circumnavigate.

Baret, a trained botanist, signed aboard as a valet at the last minute in order to keep her gender secret. On the circumnavigation, Baret greatly assisted in the identification of new species including discovering the now well known "Bougainvillea" climbing shrub in Brazil.

Bougainville's expedition left France in April 1768 and Baret was able to disguise her gender (women were not allowed as crew in the French Navy) until the ETOILE arrived in Tahiti. She continued aboard as far as Mauritius where she was put ashore by de Bougainville. 1n 1775 Baret married a French officer and returned to France, thereby completing the first circumnavigation by a woman.

But who was the first woman to race around the World? Her name was Nellie Bly, and she was competing against Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 days", written in 1873. Did Nellie Bly break Phileas Fogg's 80 days in her attempt in 1889? Stand by.

BobJ
02-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Google and Wikipedia made that one too easy - I won't steal your thunder.

But I can tell you she averaged 12.5 knots.

AlanH
02-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Going back a bit, to boatbuilding...

I've enjoyed this video on hot molded boatbuilding several times. I think the SSS needs an autoclave.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/firefly-racing-dinghy/query/dinghy+sailing

also here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6hgRQuvg60

AlanH
02-18-2018, 11:10 AM
At one point, in the background in that video, you can see the lads making up a boat quite a bit bigger than a firefly dinghy. I would guess it's about 25 feet. I wonder if they had an autoclave for that.

sleddog
02-18-2018, 11:22 AM
I first saw the lovely black schooner sailing in Newport Bay in late '50's. She had an all family crew, our friends the Warmingtons, who had had the former cod fishing schooner trucked from Nova Scotia to S. Cal in 1956. The black schooner, about 38 feet on deck, had the saucy name of NELLY BLY and was built in 1934, ostensibly a smaller version of the famous Canadian schooner BLUENOSE.

The Warmington's NELLY BLY became a family cruising boat, and although later claims were made about her outstanding speed, NELLY BLY really only came alive on a breezy reach when she could use her sails and waterline to good effect. Upwind or down, she was just average, slower than a Lapworth 32, about the same speed as a Newporter ketch. Pretty though! I always wondered about NELLY BLY's name???

NELLY BLY the schooner was named after Stephen Foster's 1850 minstrel song and adopted by Elizabeth Cochran, born in 1864 in Pennsylvania, as her pen name "Nellie Bly." Cochran became an investigative journalist at a young age writing exposes of working women being ill-treated in factories for the Pittsburg Dispatch. Factory owners threatened the Pittsburg Dispatch and "Nellie Bly," age 21, was assigned a new job as foreign correspondent in Mexico.

The dictatorial Mexican government did not like Nellie's reporting either and threatened her with imprisonment for criticizing the internment of a local journalist. She fled back to the USA, left the Dispatch, and moved to New York. Penniless, Nellie Bly earned a job at Joseph Pulitzer's newspaper the New World Dispatch. During an early, undercover writing job for Pulitzer, Bly feigned insanity and was committed to the Women's Lunatic Asylum on Blackwell's Island. On Blackwell's Island, Bly experienced deplorable conditions firsthand. After ten days, the asylum released Bly at Pulitzer's behest. Her report, published in book form as Ten Days in a Mad-House, created a sensation, prompted asylums to implement reforms, and with her courageous and bold act, cemented Nellie Bly's legacy as one of the foremost investigative female journalists of her time.

Nellie Bly's next adventure of her increasingly successful career came after reading Jules Verne's popular book Around the World in 80 days. She decided to travel around the world reporting on her journey and turn Jules Verne's fiction into fact. In 1889, with two days notice from her editor at the New World Dispatch, Nellie Bly boarded a steamship in Hoboken, NJ, bound for Europe. She only took with her the dress she was wearing, an overcoat, and a small travel bag. She carried most of her money and some gold coin in a bag tied around her neck.

Unbeknownst to Nellie Bly, another New York newspaper, the Cosmopolitan, sponsored its own reporter, Elizabeth Bisland, to beat the both the time of Phileas Fogg and Bly. Bisland traveled the opposite direction around the world, east to west, starting the same day as Bly. To sustain interest in the story, the World organized a "Nellie Bly Guessing Match" in which readers were asked to estimate Bly's arrival time to the second, with the Grand Prize consisting at first of a free trip to Europe and, later on, spending money for the trip.

Bly's circumnavigation took her through England, France (where she met Jules Verne), the Suez Canal, Colombo (Ceylon), Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan. The development of efficient submarine cable networks and the electric telegraph allowed Bly to send short progress reports, early "blogs" so to speak.

Bly travelled using ships and railroad which caused numerous delays, particularly on the Asian leg of her race. Then rough weather on her Pacific crossing caused her to arrive in San Francisco two days behind schedule and miss her transcontinental train. However, World owner Pulitzer chartered a private train to bring her home and she arrived back in New Jersey on January 25, 1890, 72 days after setting out and averaging 12.5 knots, as BobJ accurately points out.

Bisland was, at the time, still crossing the Atlantic, only to arrive in New York four and a half days later. She also had missed a connection and had to board a slow, old ship instead of a faster liner.

Nellie Bly was not only a journalist, but became an inventor, entrepreneur, and industrialist, receiving patents for both a novel milk can and stacking garbage cans. Ultimately she returned to her first love, reporting, and covered Eastern Europe's front during WWI as well as promoting women's right-to-vote.

Nellie Bly died in 1922, age 57, two years after women were given the right-to-vote. NELLY BLY, the schooner, has returned to the East Coast and met with hard times.

Philpott
02-18-2018, 12:59 PM
What a gorgeous boat!

AlanH
02-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Man, that's a complicated rig....

sleddog
02-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Though we do not usually think of cats as being particularly seaworthy, surprise is in the wind (and it is windy here in Capitola after yesterday's dry frontal passage.)

For a prize of an exquisite trimaran, complete with rotating mast, designed by H.Spruit, be the first to
correctly match the following famous ship's cats and their predicatments.

Blackie a. Survived secret seaplane somersault with Admiral Nimitz in Alameda Estuary. (plane sank.)
Mrs. Chippie b. During 130,000 small boat miles under her paws, survived two pitch-poles off Cape Horn.
Trim c. Met Churchill and Roosevelt, sunk on battleship, rescued.
Pwe d. His death nearly caused a mutiny
Oscar e. First to circumnavigate Australia, navigated for Flinders proving Oz was a continent.
Cap f. Sunk on enemy battleship, rescued by a destroyer that was then sunk, rescued by aircraft carrier that was sunk, rescued again.

sleddog
02-19-2018, 05:43 PM
I would hazard a guess there is no weather location more carefully monitored in California than Diablo Canyon, near San Luis Obispo/Los Osos and Port San Luis harbor.

The Diablo Canyon Power Plant has 23 weather monitoring towers measuring temperature, wind direction and speed from a number of altitudes. Offshore, there is a Waverider buoy which records swell height and direction as well as water temperature. Near shore, there is a sonic radar system which records even more data about wind direction and speed along with a high frequency radar network which monitors ocean currents. While the information is used for plant operations, the primary function is public safety.

Last evening's winds at Diablo were reportedly 46, gusting 55. That's miles/hour. And converts to 38 knots, gusting 49. That's breeze. There's snow in upper Carmel Valley and on the Cuesta Grade on Highway 101, at SLO.

http://www.tenera.com/weather/

DaveH
02-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Blackie - C
Mrs Chippie - D
Trim - E
Pwe - B
Oscar - F
Cap - A

sleddog
02-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Blackie - C
Mrs Chippie - D
Trim - E
Pwe - B
Oscar - F
Cap - A

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner for your SSS Commodore. Congrats David!

Briefly, Blackie was battleship HMS PRINCE of WALES ship's cat. During WWII, Blackie achieved worldwide fame after PoW carried Prime Minister Winston Churchill across the Atlantic to secretly confer with President FDR. As Churchill prepared to disembark, Blackie approached. Churchill stooped to bid farewell to Blackie, and the moment was photographed and reported in the world media. Later, PRINCE of WALES was sunk by the Japanese north of Singapore, but Blackie was rescued.

Mrs. Chippie, a male tabby, was ENDURANCE ship's cat. When icebound in the Antarctic, Shackleton ordered Mrs. Chippie put down as well as all the sleddogs. There was a near mutiny, and hard feelings remained. http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/famous/chippy.html

Trim was explorer Matthew Flinders cat, and circumnavigated Australia in 1803, putting the continent on the map. Trim was small, black and white, and the crew's favorite. Flinder's spent much time in his captain's cabin attempting to chart and navigate the then unknown coast of Australia, and it is said Trim likely had a say in Flinder's navigational decisions. There's a great story, in paper back, called Matthew Flinder's Cat. http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/famous/trim.html

Pwe was the Smeeton's Siamese and lived aboard TZU HANG, which was pitchpoled twice near Cape Horn, the first time with John Guzzwell aboard. Pwe was the saltiest cat of this group and logged 130,000 ocean miles. If you haven't read the classic Once is Enough, you haven't met the Smeetons and Pwe. http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/featuring/adv10.html

Oscar was a "Swasticat" aboard the German Battleship BISMARCK. BISMARCK was famously sunk when her steering jammed and she could only steam in circles, making for easy prey of the Brits. Oscar, afloat on flotsam, was rescued by a Britsh destroyer, HMS COSSACK, which was then torpedoed and sunk. Again, Oscar was rescued and became ship's cat aboard the aircraft carrier HMS ARK ROYAL. ARK ROYAL was sunk, but Oscar lived again and retired ashore to an old sailor's home in Belfast. There is a portrait of Oscar at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

Lastly, after the epic and victorious Battle of Midway, Admiral Chester Nimitz, commander of the Pacific Fleet, was making a secret flight from Hawaii to San Francisco aboard a Sikorsky XPBS-1 seaplane. Upon landing, the seaplane hit a log in front of the Alameda Naval Airstation, flipped upside down, cracked in half and sank. Nimitz miraculously survived, and so did his cat Cap.

AlanH
02-20-2018, 09:04 AM
I would hazard a guess there is no weather location more carefully monitored in California than Diablo Canyon, near San Luis Obispo/Los Osos and Port San Luis harbor.

The Diablo Canyon Power Plant has 23 weather monitoring towers measuring temperature, wind direction and speed from a number of altitudes. Offshore, there is a Waverider buoy which records swell height and direction as well as water temperature. Near shore, there is a sonic radar system which records even more data about wind direction and speed along with a high frequency radar network which monitors ocean currents. While the information is used for plant operations, the primary function is public safety.

Last evening's winds at Diablo were reportedly 46, gusting 55. That's miles/hour. And converts to 38 knots, gusting 49. That's breeze. There's snow in upper Carmel Valley and on the Cuesta Grade on Highway 101, at SLO.

http://www.tenera.com/weather/

That's good. Now we need some significant preciptation to make that REAL snow. Snow in Chachagua and back in the peaks of the Ventana wilderness is not all that unusual. When I was in high school, I remember some of the Valley guys going up and filling one of their mates pickup truck bed with snow and bringing it to school.

jamottep
02-20-2018, 08:33 PM
There's snow in upper Carmel Valley and on the Cuesta Grade on Highway 101, at SLO.

We were camping in Henry W Coe state park these past two nights. We did get snow Monday night; it was magical ... Kids loved it, standing by the fire, under the falling snow, melting marshmallows in the ring fire ...

Philpott
02-23-2018, 01:34 PM
February 24
Happy Birthday, Skip!

sleddog
02-23-2018, 02:04 PM
East San Francisco Bay is rumbling....55 small earthquakes in the last week, 13 in the last 24 hours. I was just on the phone with PHILPOT in Oakland and she says, "Oh, my, we're having an earthquake." (12:20 pm Friday.) The quake Jackie reported was 3.6. Nothing too earthshaking. More like coming off a wave on ebb tide near Seal Rocks at Lands End. But earthquake swarms like these can be a predecessor to something bigger, da dum.

Increasing numbers of citizens are moving from California. But not for earthquake reasons. Skyrocketing rents and rising housing costs are the primary culprit. Add increasing earthquakes and drought to the reason there are few, if any, U-Haul truck and trailers to be found.

I was living aboard WILDFLOWER during the '89 earthquake that pretty much destroyed Santa Cruz Harbor. My friend, sitting in his car in the parking lot, disappeared into a large crack (he was shocked, but unhurt.) The parking lot looked like Yellowstone, with numerous geysers from broken underground pipes. The Harbor bridge was broke for a year, downtown was pretty much destroyed, and there was not a chimney left standing.

I could tell when an aftershock was coming, and there were many. Inside the boat, it sounded like a train rumbling nearby. Hundreds of fish would simultaneously jump from the Harbor's rippling water. Most of the dock pilings took on a significant lean. It seemed most of town were camping on their front lawns.

Years later I hiked to Ground Zero of the '89 Loma Prieta Quake in the Nicene Forest, 4 miles north of Aptos Village.

3161 3162

sleddog
02-25-2018, 01:17 PM
We came up the Coast yesterday from Santa Cruz, across the Bay Bridge, to Berkeley. It was windy offshore, with estimated 25 knots NW as far as Pigeon Point. North of Pigeon Point, the wind backed off to a pleasant 10-15, with sunshine but a bit of chill. Nothing like Tahoe, where friends reported yesterday's lake level weather as subfreezing with 4" of fresh snow.

Just south of Half Moon Bay we hove to by the side of the road for 20 minutes to investigate Fields of Gold, an expanse of mustard and sour grass. The yellows, with the steel blue ocean and green hills, and pungent smell, were beautiful to behold. I'd guess the area investigated was a square mile, located half mile south of Miramontes Point Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x7K98ZhbYg

Hope everyone had a good sail yesterday in the Corinthian Regatta. Congrats to BANDICOOT, All Germain, first overall Single-Hander, and UNO, first DH. https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=JACKY_T004625717&DOC=r201&TYP=html

sleddog
02-26-2018, 12:36 PM
Remembering...

Bahamian Durward Knowles was already a sailing legend when we first met in Newport Beach in 1959. He been taught sailing at a young age by his father, worked as a Nassau Bar Pilot, won the Star World's Championship in 1947 and the Bronze Medal in the 1956 Olympics. His red Starboats, all named GEM, were invariably found at the head of the fleet. Durward was in the very top echelon of Star sailors, the best sailors in the world.

Durward and crew had arrived early in Newport. I was honored to be asked to practice as their tune-up boat. Unlike San Pedro, 20 miles west, where Durward had won the '47 Worlds, the course off Newport has predominantly light airs, 8-14 knots, with a fair amount of Pacific ground swell, leftover waves from better winds to the west, and powerboat slop.

Local sailors become proficient at handling these conditions, "the washing machine," which are somewhat mystifying at first to the outsider. As a 14 year old I had gotten good at it, which turned out to be a bit deflating to the ever jovial Mr. Knowles. As he wrote of his experience, "I didn't mind so much that Skip kept passing us." "But every time he wiped us off the kid would luff up and say, 'Had enough? I have to go home.'" Durward interpreted this to mean, "Now do you give up?" whereas actually it was too late for me to be out on the ocean according to family rules and I didn't want to get into trouble.

Durward kept his grin all that week and the next, laughing at practical jokes, one of which was an unidentified competitor possibly named Blackaller repainting the name of Knowles Star from GEM to "GERM."

Durward Knowles reached the pinnacle of a lifetime of sailing in 1964 when he and Cecil Cooke won the Olympic Gold Medal in the Star Class in Tokyo. They came home to the Bahamas as national heroes, and he was knighted Sir Durward in 1996.

Durward continued racing until 70 years of age, and competed in eight Olympics, the last in Seoul, South Korea in 1988 where he was the proud bearer of the flag of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas

Durward Knowles supported sailing all his long life. He was especially fond of coaching juniors. His last Star sits in position of honor at the entrance to the Nassau Yacht Club.

I honor Sir Durward, the oldest living Olympic Champion, who died Saturday at age 100.

Below is a photo of Sir Durward Knowles with fellow Star World's champion (1988) Paul Cayard.

sleddog
02-28-2018, 02:23 PM
AlanH writes on another thread, You want to send five boats out around the world, in old third or fourth generation open 60's? One of those boats, even an old one is $150,000 - $200,000 to buy. They're all in Europe and you need another hundred thousand dollars to update/clean up/sails/electronics/etc. Then, when you've done it, who are you going to sell it to? Who the hell wants an uncompetitive Open 60?

Alan is correct. Except for a famous SSS Boat, Al Hughes' DOGBARK, an older open 60 located in Anacortes, WA. DOGBARK has twice circumnavigated in the BOC Race, sailed by Kanga Birtles.

Al and DOGBARK have been first-to-finish the SHTP 3x. Al has recently sold DOGBARK to long time friends and crew Janna and Graeme Esarey. The Esareys family are leaving this spring to sail the NorthWest Passage on DOGBARK, which was built like a brick ****house. Originally, DOGBARK had 1800 gallons of water ballast on each side. Can you imagine?! That's unreal stability potential.

There is a recent interview with the Esareys in 48 North. Or follow their story at https://saildogbark.com/about/

Good luck to them!

sleddog
03-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Serendipity indeed to have both Synthia and Jackie visit Capitola Boat Club on the same day. Synthia was doing canvas work, but found time to visit the cliff with her dog Rreveur.

Jackie joined us at the Harbor, and Syn, Jackie and I pedaled WILDFLOWER around....Rreveur got into the act.

Now I have your attention, if you know someone in need of a boat trailer in Hawaii to ship a boat home after SHTP or PacCup, there is one available. The trailer is double-axle, 10,000 pound max load, surge brakes, and will be carrying a Wyliecat 30 to Honolulu. It is currently empty on the return. Contact Dave at 831-four 76-five 629 for information.

jamottep
03-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Now I have your attention, if you know someone in need of a boat trailer in Hawaii to ship a boat home after SHTP or PacCup, there is one available. The trailer is double-axle, 10,000 pound max load, surge brakes, and will be carrying a Wyliecat 30 to Honolulu. It is currently empty on the return. Contact Dave at 831-four 76-five 629 for information.

I have just been told that on Big Island slips are impossible to have and the only way to get a boat there is on a trailer. I was told they're worth 4 times their price ... I haven't verified this first hand: take with a grain of salt as it is a comment from someone on Craigslist ...

sleddog
03-05-2018, 01:22 PM
OK, here's an historical question. Who was the first singlehander around the 3 Great Capes, as well as first to solo Cape Horn. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. But here's complexity: what two things does this great sailor and his boat have in common with the below boat racing off Port Townsend. Jackie knows. Do you?

jamottep
03-05-2018, 01:46 PM
OK, here's an historical question. Who was the first singlehander around the 3 Great Capes, as well as first to solo Cape Horn. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. But here's the complexity: what two things does this great sailor and his boat have in common with the below boat racing off Port Townsend. Jackie knows. Do you?

Well ... Vito Dumas ... both boats have a mast and forestay ...

sleddog
03-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Hi PJ,
Vito Dumas is your correct answer to who first solo-circumnavigated the Southern Ocean, rounding the 3 Great Capes, including first to solo Cape Horn, in 1942. Fearing wartime interrogation, Dumas' only instrument was a compass. He stayed warm stuffing his oilskins with newspaper. No expensive drysuits, electronics, engine, or heater for this intrepid voyager. No reef points in the main, no drogue or sea anchor, no self steering either. Alone Through the Roaring 40's is Vito Dumas' book of the voyage, a classic of maritime literature.

But PJ's answer raises the question: What two things does Vito Dumas and his boat have in common with the boat pictured in the above photo. Yes, "both boats have a mast and forestay." But Dumas' boat, the 31 foot LEHG II, was a ketch....so technically she had 2 masts... And yes, both are canoe sterns with outboard rudders, felt to be the best shape for running hard in gale force and above. That should be a hint.

Here's LEHG II then:

And here's LEHG II now, beautifully restored and displayed at the Museo Naval de Tigre in Buenos Aires, only blocks from where she was built.

3196 3197

Dazzler
03-05-2018, 05:22 PM
No lifelines.

Greetings from Loreto. B.C.S.
Tom

sleddog
03-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Capt.Bob checking in from the Kaiteriteri Coast on the north end of the South Island of New Zealand. He and MJ launched their inflatable SUPs on the beach in the foreground, and paddled a mile out to Split Apple Rack in the background.

Cap answered the second half of the question, "what is the boat racing off PT and what does it have in common with the great Argentine sailor Vito Dumas and his boat LEHG II?"

Says the captain, "In reply to your blog, I know that boat is VITO DUMAS racing off PT. We met VITO and Alex at Stuart Island..."

Yes! IRUPE, built 85 years ago, was renamed VITO DUMAS in his honor, and today lives in Port Townsend, where Jackie paid homage yesterday. VITO DUMAS is kept in immaculate shape, and wins many of the local races with good sailing, fast sails, clean bottom and feathering prop, and giant foretriangle. OF course it helps the boat is a timeless design.

The last part of the question remains unanswered. Other than her name, what does VITO DUMAS have in common with Vito Dumas and LEHG II?

Here's a pic of VITO taken recently by Jackie on her pilgrimage to PT. That's an unidentified Kettenburg in the background.

sleddog
03-06-2018, 04:45 PM
The last part of the question remains unanswered. Other than her name, what does VITO DUMAS have in common with Vito Dumas and LEHG II? Here's a pic of VITO taken recently by Jackie on her pilgrimage to PT. That's an unidentified Kettenburg in the background.

What does VITO DUMAS have in common with LEHG II? VITO's long time owner, Alex, checks in with the answer:

"The answer to the second part of the question would be that both boats are Manuel Campos Designs. IRUPE, now my boat VITO DUMAS, while under construction in 1933, was the inspiration for LEHG II when Vito Dumas came looking for a boat more suitable for offshore sailing than LEHG I, the 20 year old 8 meter he singlehanded from France to Argentina"

Argentinian designer Manuel Campos was very much influenced by Colin Archer, also William (Billy) Atkin’s 1924 design ERIC. Campos also knew the successful FJORD II, designed and owned by another Argentinian, German Frers Sr. Campos considered these double-ended hulls the best possible model for running in big seas, which Vito Dumas became famous for, never lying to but continuing to run, as he wrote, “on a mattress of foam”…..This convinced Bernard Moitessier to take up the cause of running off 20 years later with his JOSHUA and nearly win the Golden Globe before dropping out to head for Tahiti……..

IRUPE (now VITO DUMAS) and LEHG II are basically sisterships, both 31 feet on deck, and built in the same yard in Tigre, Argentina. LEHG II is a bit deeper and heavier, and a marconi rigged ketch. IRUPE started life as a gaff cutter.

IRUPE (VITO DUMAS) was purchased in 1976 by Alex. "After a period of work combined with shakedown cruises on the California coast, we began a nearly three year cruise that included Baja California, Marquesas, Societies, Hawaii, Alaska, and British Columbia.. VITO has always treated us well, and I have attempted to return the favor by doing the necessary projects to keep her seaworthy and kept up. After 42 years of ownership, VITO continues to challenge and inspire."

"PS, the boat moored next to VITO in Jackie's photo is Kettenburg 43, #11, QUE SERA."

Philpott
03-06-2018, 06:45 PM
"PS, the boat moored next to VITO in Jackie's photo is Kettenburg 43, #11, QUE SERA."

That Kettenburg Que Sera! is gorgeous. A grand, seriously blue water vessel, beautifully maintained. Alex's neighbor and the owner is David. I had the nicest time talking with him about sailing, Que Sera! and Port Townsend in general.

Turns out he graduated from Magnolia High school in Anaheim, not far from my own alma mater in Santa Ana. David and his wife, Connie lived aboard Que Sera! for the first ten years of their ownership. First they and Que Sera! were in Los Angeles, then San Diego, followed by travels to Mexico, Tahiti, Hawaii, then to Astoria in Oregon on the Columbia River, back to Hawaii and finally now in Port Townsend.

Those are a lot of beautiful places and that's a lot of sailing. After all that time and travel the boat is still in pristine condition. The phrase "a moveable feast" comes to mind. Importantly, David told me that Connie shares his enthusiasm for sailing, which she does right alongside him. And the fact that they chose to settle here after experiencing all those other places says something about this town.
Port Townsend is remarkable.

I've had a really nice visit, partly because so many people have been engaging and friendly. I should mention that the sun came out today. The sky is a different blue up here, and have I mentioned the Cascade Mountains? There are crocuses and daffodils poking up everywhere. And finally! I saw a nice big sloop out on the water today. Only one, but it looked happy. Wish I'd been on it. Personally? I think a sailboat is necessary for happiness.

sleddog
03-11-2018, 08:59 AM

On the beach, at Java Junction, at the Santa Cruz Harbor Entrance, is a morning assembly point for "Coffee Club." Depending on the time, weather, and surf report, you are likely to find the most interesting assemblage of characters discussing everything from sailing to music to Harbor operations, to surfing history. And a whole lot more. The dredge captain can often be found. As well as the local rigger, current harbor employes and retired, and boat builders.

Just offshore can often be seen big waves, whales, otters, dolphins, and birdlife.

Yesterday at coffee club, between the subject of hybrid car technology and guitar fingering, arose the subject of whether it is better to have a flexible or stiff catamaran or outrigger canoe for waves. Coming from a racing background, I supported the idea of stiffness. But a fellow multi-huller reminded that beginning with the Polynesian voyagers, to Nathanial Herreshoff's catamarans, to James Wharram, all had flexilbility built into their designs. "Reduces stress on the hull, rig, and crew," pointed out my friend.

Herreshoff used ball joints to connect the hulls of AMARYLIS and his other cats. Wharram used old tire tread between the deck and akas for a smoother ride.

I suppose if you are flying your multi-hull on carbon foils, that stiffness counts for speed. But most things in nature are flexible, and bend before they break. If you're on a boat with no stretch or flexibility in the sails, running rigging,
and hull, you may go faster. But something will eventually break...

Cal-40's and MERLIN were probably the most flexible and successful ocean racers going. And are still going strong after more than 55 and 40 years respectively...just sayin'

sleddog
03-15-2018, 08:16 AM
If you haven't caught it, an excellent and thoughtful description at https://tbeetle.wordpress.com/ of Rob single-handed re-rigging his 45' TIGER BEETLE at Ala Wai Harbor, in Hono.

For those considering a Solent (staysail) stay aft of the headstay, this is a good primer on the bottom end construction. Knowing Beetle's meticulousness, I'm sure a lot of measuring went into the project.

sleddog
03-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Overrides happen even to the best. But can be lessened by being aware of their cause.

1. The angle of the sheet or halyard needs be slightly downwards from the winch to the lead. i.e. the sheet should lead to the bottom of the winch drum.

2. When tailing, allowing slack to develop in the sheet can increase chances of an override.

3.Tailing with more wraps than necessary on the winch can also develop an override. Usually 3 wraps is best to begin with, laying on additional wraps as needed. Takes practice.

4. Being observant to what is happening on the winch drum. Sometimes as an override is beginning it can be removed by carefully removing the top wrap. But watch the fingers!

Getting out of an override depends on the situation and urgency. If time is available, a lazy sheet or stopper knot led to an available winch can unload the override. If time is not available, a sharp knife should always be at hand. Cutting a loaded sheet near the clew (to save line) is usually the best method. The load on the sheet greatly increases the ease of cutting the line: one good touch with the blade of the knife as you begin the tack usually suffices.

sleddog
03-15-2018, 10:00 AM
A prominent member of the FORUM recently encountered one of the largest cruise ships in the world, RUBY PRINCESS.

The Princess is BIG, 951 feet. Carries 3,600 passengers and 1,100 crew. That's a lot of poop.
Security and the Coasties don't let you get near. It was raining as they ferried passengers ashore.
For the usual chicken dinner, what historical California port is this?

DaveH
03-15-2018, 10:54 AM
how are they gonna race the Shields with that hotel parked half way to the top mark?

hodgmo
03-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Dodge the otters near Monterey?

sleddog
03-16-2018, 08:47 PM
how are they gonna race the Shields with that hotel parked half way to the top mark?

Dodge the otters near Monterey?

Winners, winners, TJ's Chicken Pot Pie dinners at the Capitola Boat Club. We have a tie, with both DaveH and hodgemo correctly hinting that it was Monterey where the ultra-large cruise ship RUBY PRINCESS was anchored off Philpot's front porch, blocking the view of Pacific Grove.

At some point in the past, at least one cruise ship, CRYSTAL HARMONY, has been banned from Monterey after dumping 36,400 gallons of waste into the sea otters' bedrooms.

The cruise company fired the ship's chief officer, who was on watch that night. ''He simply failed to remember that they were in the middle of the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary," said a company spokesman.

Really?

The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary covers 5,322-square-miles, and is home to 27 species of whales, dolphins, otters, and other marine mammals.

Cruise ships have slowly come around to cleaning up their holding tank discharges with more modern facilities. But they are still gross polluters with the litter of the traditional release of helium filled balloons, shiny mylar and latex, often seen by sailors as the partially deflated balloons skim along the ocean's surface.

Birds, turtles and other animals commonly mistake deflated balloons for food. In addition, animals can become entangled in balloon strings. Sea turtles are being especially hard hit by confusing balloons for food.

This balloon release was from the RUBY PRINCESS" even bigger sister, the MAJESTIC PRINCESS. Princess Cruise Lines claims their balloons are biodegradable. BS. Maybe in five years, after they rot in a sea animal's gut. Shame on companies that use the sea for profit and pollute the waters they sail on.

Wylieguy
03-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Regarding the ocean whale (I mean liner) off Monterey. In 1984 we were tied up at the MPYC's float right up against the bulkhead. Starting in the afternoon we stared up at dozens of U.S. Sailors staring down. It was a rare sunny afternoon in Monterey and Sue was enjoying the sun in the cockpit. That night was raucous in the tourist part of Monterey. The next morning we left for Santa Cruz and popping out the marina entrance ran smack into the "U.S.S. Missouri" anchored crosswise to our course. Shooed off by picket boats, we did an end run, looking down the "Missouri's" graceful bow with those 16 inch guns pointed at us! It's interesting that WWII's almost most famous battleship (I suppose the "U.S.S. Arizona" comes in 1st) would have seemed small compared compared with the cruise ship. I suppose the probable somewhat elderly "sailors" from the "RUBY" were quieter than the gobs from the "Missouri" and there were fewer sirens late into the evening.

sleddog
03-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Cancel Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival?? Horrors.

PTWBF (2014) is where the Race2Alaska was conceived by Jake Beattie and friends in the PTWBF beer tent. Here's a letter from Jake, the Director of the NorthWest Maritime Center that puts on not only the R2AK, but also the Wooden Boat Festival.

Hello friends,

Apologies for the big group email, but this is big news and we wanted it to get to you as fast as possible. You may or may not have heard the rumble before this email but the short story is we were almost forced to cancel this year's Wooden Boat Festival. Really.

The Port of Port Townsend was a vote away from advancing construction options that would start in July, putting Port Townsend's high season at risk.

Today, at a special meeting the Port Commissioners did the right thing: they listened to the community, they considered the big picture, and weighed the overall impacts, and in a 2-1 vote decided to preserve the commerce of our town and only put forward breakwater construction options that start after the 2018 Wooden Boat Festival. As of that vote, the festival can happen, and local businesses can thrive.

It happened because of you. So many of you reached out, sent word to your networks, wrote letters to the commissioners (hundreds), and turned out to today's meeting (nearly 400) all to express the importance of this decision... and it worked. They heard the significance of the festival, and so did we.

I opened the public comments today by reading the attached letter that pledges the proceeds from the Wooden Boat Festival if the Port would not move forward with summer construction options. This wasn't a decision we took lightly; we depend on that revenue for funding our programs. It's that important.

What followed was inspiring. We were in awe of the business community who joined us during the public comments and pledged additional support to offset cost increases: $160,000 in total pledges! It was the participation and passion of this great community that tipped the scales. Peak season commerce is protected and the festival will happen on schedule-all without risk of contractors setbacks.

For all of you who advocated (and those who wanted to) we'd love it if you also wrote to say thanks to commissioners: Pete Hanke (phanke@portofpt.com), Bill Putney (bill@portofpt.com), and Steve Tucker (steve@portofpt.com)

A few months ago a co-worker pinned to my wall an image of a double sheet bend (for those who don't speak knots, this one that joins two lines in perfect symmetry.) The caption read: "Stronger together." It's true, and today we showed that we truly are.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Onward,
Jake Beattie
Executive Director

sleddog
03-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks to Vicky and Craig of Los Osos turning me onto to the wonderful time lapse video photography of Skyglow project filmmakers Gavin Heffernan and Harun Mehmedinovic featuring storms and stars sailing over the Grand Canyon. 3+ minutes of wonder. https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/blogs/storms-stars-sail-over-colorado-river-grand-canyon-skyglow

sleddog
03-21-2018, 05:56 PM
There has never been quite such an epic inland small boat voyage as that made in 1983 by the small wooden dory EMERALD MILE. Her 3 man crew, experienced river guides, launched their nutshell of a boat onto the Colorado River near Glen Canyon dam and rode the 72,000 cubic ft/second crest downriver and into legend, covering 277 miles in 36+ hours through the heart of the Grand Canyon. EMERALD MILE,their story, is a classic of adventure literature and a must read.

Here's a 3 minute tribute to EMERALD MILE's voyage and the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWAZgqRs0ZA

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

In a 2017 attempt to break EMERALD MILE's record Grand Canyon run, the 27 minute film "Time Travels" tells the story of 7 adventurer /athletes designing and building a one-of-a-kind 48 foot inflatable rowing craft. What happens on the River is beautifully documented, perhaps applicable, all or part, to the shortly upcoming Singlehanded Transpac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygZTHBak6Y

sleddog
03-22-2018, 05:00 PM
3/22/18
Above we heard about the dory EMERALD MILE riding the crest of an emergency flood release from the then new Glen Canyon Dam in 1983.

Today, on a smaller scale, correspondent CHAUTAUQUA (a sistership of the Pardey's TALIESIN) also set a new record: highest water in history in her backyard north of Groveland. Big Creek went to 7.34' (old record 7.03')
as a wicked front with thunder, lightning, and hail passed overhead at 11:15 a.m. 7.34' equates to 3,400 cubic feet/second of river run, which flooded downtown Groveland, and closed nearby Highway 120 to Yosemite.

Here's CHAUTAUQUA's onsite report: "Report in just now as rehearsal was cancelled and I fielded a call from my cousin in the office in the middle of town. The creek in town jumped out of its banks and Groveland’s streets are flooded. Water over the deck of the inn across from Mt Sage and their plants and things are being washed into the street by a tributary.

On the home front, 30 or so assorted small local bird residents are alternately huddling under the pumphouse roof and then dodging hail etc. to get to the bird feeder. Eating in shifts. Glad I put lots of seed out last night as I returned from Coulterville rehearsal.

I remember small birds taking refuge in the space under our winches on CHAUTAUQUA during big storms. Just saw a blue cooler clocking hull speed towards Pine Mountain lake, along with assorted chunks of logs, and what not.

Going to be a big cleanup later. Have stopped worrying about my road crossing and put a Corned Beef roast in the crockpot, hoping the power will last all day. Got a good book all lined up for the afternoon. Sheriff just called to inform. No one, not even residents allowed thru at Moccasin."

sleddog
03-23-2018, 09:54 AM

Here's something fun and educational for all cat boat and wooden boat aficionados, the story and Off-Center-Harbor 12 minute film of SILENT MAID, a 33 foot centerboard, gaff, racing catboat in Barnegat Bay, N.J., home to shallow water and fast boats.

The original SILENT MAID was designed by Francis Sweisguth in 1923. Sweisguth also designed the Starboat in 1910, so we can understand the massive mainsail and topsail totaling 1,400 square feet on 72 foot mast and gaff on SILENT MAID. How would you jibe that on SF Bay on a summer afternoon's seabreeze?

Oh, I forgot, SILENT MAID carries up to 1,800 pounds (10-12 crew) on the rail and 3:1 runners when racing around the buoys. She's got 2 optional masts depending on racing or cruising, spreaders on the gaff, an easily removeable Yanmar engine, cushy interior with diesel heater and stove...For a crew of 3-4, SILENT MAID would be something unique for the Race2Alaska?

What a delicious beauty SILENT MAID is. And fast too, especially in her "sweet spot" of 8-16 knots of wind, when heavier and larger boats aren't up to speed. Check out that polished, NACA foil centerboard and carbon fiber head sink below. Yikes! This is "not your grandmother's catboat," nor a Wyliecat. Just don't get drool on your keyboard when watching the 12 min, video https://www.offcenterharbor.com/videos/silent-maid-barnegat-bay-b-cat-not-your-grandmothers-catboat/ or reading Gary Jobson's description of a sail on SILENT MAID. https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/silent-maid-loud-statement.

Good stuff.

sleddog
03-26-2018, 09:02 PM

San Francisco has reportedly the best city drinking water in the world. So where does the water come from? When driving to Yosemite via Highway 120, the road pretty much parallels the aqueduct from Hetch Hetch to Crystal Spring Reservoir. Here is an interesting look at what happened during last Thursday's mega rain event and flood in the Sierra foothills, near Groveland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBGGQt_Jnc&sns=em

Philpott
03-26-2018, 09:19 PM
"San Francisco has the best city drinking water in the world."

I've never lived in San Francisco, but the water in Manhattan tasted much better to me than the water here in Oakland.

sleddog
03-27-2018, 06:41 AM
"San Francisco has the best city drinking water in the world."

I've never lived in San Francisco, but the water in Manhattan tasted much better to me than the water here in Oakland.

Hi Jackie,

Oakland's water, along with much of the East Bay, comes from East Bay MUD (Municipal Utilities District.) EBMUD water is from the Mokelumne Aqueduct, fed by the Mokelumne River in the Central Sierra, which ultimately enters the Delta.

85% of San Francisco's drinking water is from spring snowmelt running down the Tuolumne River, now damned at Hetch Hetchy Valley. The Hetch Hetchy watershed is entirely in Yosemite National Park. The water from this 160 mile infrastructure ultimately fills Crystal Springs Reservoir, south of San Francisco, near the Pulgas Water Temple. "Water Temple?" Yup, just off Highway 280.

During college sailing years we naively tried to get permission to sail on Crystal Springs Reservoir. "It's San Francisco's drinking water. No human contact allowed!", we were firmly admonished.

sleddog
03-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Authors have long used 'wing' as a verb and referred to birds that 'winged their way' and later, metaphorically, to time, love etc. 'winging its way' to a recipient. Today I winged WILDFLOWER home from Santa Cruz Harbor to the driveway after an 8:30 a.m. haulout, lowering the mast with the gin pole, and generally securing all equipment for the 4 mile drive.

Today's "winging WILDFLOWER home" fortunately did not require a "wing and a prayer," an expression first heard in a John Wayne war movie of 1942, The Flying Tigers, when a friendly aircraft was badly shot up over Rangoon and limped back to base on sheer luck, determination, and/or God's will allowing success.

No, today's boat/trailer movement required a different sort of "winging it," that where there is no script and improvisation is the order of the day. This "winging it" is 19th century theatrical slang which refers to impromptu performances given by actors who had hurriedly learned their lines while waiting in the wings and then received prompts from assistants hidden behind shrubbery and props, or holding helping signs in the wings.

All was good until I turned my 41 foot rig (24 foot trailer and 17 foot SUV) up our narrow street, ready to attempt the 90 degree driveway back-in without tempting a jacknife... only to find my timing was a bit off and I was about to come head to head not only with the mailman in his jeep, but also an oncoming garbage truck doing his pickups.

Thankfully I was early for school letting out up the street. But there are no right-of-way rules for this encounter, no port and starboard, red right returning, windward vehicle keep clear.

I said a brief prayer to Frog, parked the rig in the middle of the street, and ventured forward on foot to explain my intentions to the mailman and garbage man.

Like magic, "winging it," a pass was created and I dove for the opening without knocking over anyone's mailbox or scraping fenders. WILDFLOWER was safely home, and for that I am thankful on this beautiful day.

skatzman
03-28-2018, 05:33 PM
All's well that ends well. It's always good to get the boat home and the wheels chocked. On the wings of angels.

sleddog
03-30-2018, 09:18 AM
How would you like to have a mouthful of shredded carbon fiber and kevlar for breakfast?

That's what happened last July when a great white shark bit Steve Lawson's kayak, dumping him in the water off Santa Cruz, prompting a one day beach closure.

Lawson was rescued after calling the Harbor Patrol on his VHF radio. His badly damaged kayak was destined to become a front yard flower planter when it was instead given to my neighbor, Shahe.

Shahe had the kayak repaired, and yesterday I got to view the results as he wheeled it up the street after an uneventful ocean paddle off Capitola.

I hope the poor great white's dentistry bill was not too great.:rolleyes:

sleddog
04-01-2018, 10:06 AM
I was in Sydney, Austrailia, 1973, for the start of the Sydney-Hobart Race when the big Swan 65 came into the marina after finishing Cape Town to Sydney leg of the 73-74 Whitbread Race (which she eventually won.) It was Christmas Eve, and SAYULA's experienced crew were badly shaken. In the Bass Straits, two days earlier, they had been rolled down past horizontal, and a leeward side port had been stove in, flooding the boat.

Since then, it has become apparent from numerous reports that, in the event of knockdown, lee side ports and windows are more vulnerable than those to windward.

It happened to the Lessley's Cal-40 CALIFORNIA GIRL on her return from a Pacific Cup when she was knocked horizontal northwest of the Farallones and her lee side cabin windows were smashed. More recently, the lee side window on Randal Reeves otherwise solidly built MOLI was punched in deep in the Indian Ocean when she too took a knockdown of horizontal or beyond and dashed hopes of Randall's completing his ambitious lFigure 8 Voyage.

The lesson may be, if you're serious about going offshore, your port windows need to be small and strong: a .5 square foot "tank slit" may be none too small.

BobJ
04-01-2018, 10:25 AM
I wonder about the new trend of having large ports in the hull. I suppose they're okay for dock condos (or as my dad called them, "drinking boats.")

We're currently investigating a crack at the corner of Rags' starboard portlight. Her ports are at the limit of acceptable size and they may flex a bit.

sleddog
04-02-2018, 12:58 PM
It seems, the older we get, the shorter our masts. This William Garden design, DISCOVERY, is especially pretty and a lot of boat for the asking price. Built of top shelf materials too.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2754637&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=gigharbor&&ywo=gigharbor&

Which begs the question of what is a good motorsailer? Typically, motor sailors motor as poorly as they sail. Comfortable though.

A good friend who knows these things has an interesting take on the best motor-sailor. He says its a Wyliecat.
Why is that? Because most motor sailors are horribly underpowered in light winds, and not very weatherly to boot. Even good sailing sloops can only motorsail to windward with their mains up, 50% of available sail area.

But a Wyliecat get's to use 100% of its available sail area when motoring in light airs. A little bit of motoring speed, 1/3 throttle (2000 RPM on its small Yanmar) makes "fake wind," and the Wyliecat can easily
double the windspeed in 2-3 knots of true wind, while sipping a pint/hour. Can't do that with most other boats.
And in case you're wondering what "fake wind" is, it's a delivery skipper's' term for usable apparent wind created using the engine.

The Smokester
04-02-2018, 03:46 PM
...recently, the lee side window on Randal Reeves otherwise solidly built MOLI was punched in deep in the Indian Ocean when she too took a knockdown of horizontal or beyond and dashed hopes of Randall's completing his ambitious lFigure 8 Voyage...

What are you implying?

sleddog
04-02-2018, 03:57 PM
What are you implying?

"It has become apparent from numerous reports that, in the event of knockdown, lee side ports and windows are more vulnerable than those to windward. The lesson may be, if you're serious about going offshore, your port windows need to be small and strong: a .5 square foot "tank slit" may be none too small."

I might add that emergency port coverings such as a floorboard, and required fastenings, are a good thing to have thought through ahead of time...Here's Randall's

The Smokester
04-02-2018, 10:09 PM
OK. Let me ask again. Why are you saying that this "dashed hopes of Randall's completing his ambitious lFigure 8 Voyage..."

sleddog
04-03-2018, 06:39 AM
OK. Let me ask again. Why are you saying that this "dashed hopes of Randall's completing his ambitious lFigure 8 Voyage..."

When Randall left Ushuaia, he was by his own admittance "behind schedule" on his date with crossing 16,000 miles of Southern Ocean at planned latitude of 40-48S. The Southern Ocean at any date, but particularly in fall and winter, with its gales, massive seas, darkness, and chance of ice, takes no prisoners, As Randall wrote, "the best chance for small boats to cross the Southern Ocean is the height of summer, Nov., Dec. January, when gales are at a minimum." MOLI is currently under repair in Hobart, Tasmania. To attempt sailing eastward to Cape Horn at this late date to complete his one year Figure 8 is, I'm guessing, a plan Randall would consider too chancy.

The Smokester
04-03-2018, 06:51 PM
...I'm guessing, a plan Randall would consider too chancy.

Understood. I thought you had inside info that he had cancelled the remainder of the journey. I don't think he's there, yet.

sleddog
04-04-2018, 08:34 AM
A splendid new video (21 min.) posted by Leo on the culture of wooden boat building in England, and how the current generation is attempting to pass on their art, craftsmanship, and passion. Something we don't see much of in this country, except in Port Townsend and Maine.

The video also gives a excellent photographic history of English Pilot Cutters. Can you visualize a retractable bowsprit the length and diameter of a telephone pole? Racing to get a job as pilot to incoming shipping? Winning the 1927 Fastnet Race in appalling conditions? It's there.

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/17-massive-new-pilot-cutter-build-ferry-planks/

For a lamb with mint sauce BBQ at CBC, what historical pilot cutter was owned and sailed by one of Britain's most fascinating and prolific explorers, author of six books?

jamottep
04-04-2018, 09:03 AM
You shouldn't copy/paste ... Makes it easy to Google :-)

https://www.pilotcutter.co.uk/mischief/

jamottep
04-04-2018, 04:07 PM
You shouldn't copy/paste ... Makes it easy to Google :-)

Ooops that didn't sound very nice. I'm sorry.

sleddog
04-04-2018, 09:47 PM
PJ wins a BBQ'ed lamb dinner with mint sauce for identifying the Bristol pilot cutter MISCHIEF, owned by HW "Bill" Tilman. Tilman sailed to remote destinations to climb difficult and rarely visited peaks, more than 100 summits, and in 1936 was first to summit Nanda Devi, highest mountain in India at 25,643'.

A little known fact is Bill Tilman was first to cross Africa by bicycle in a time when there were no roads and few trails. Tilman had a dry wit, and was a master of colossal understatement. We all remember his famous curt advertisement for crew in the London Times: "“Hand wanted for long voyages in small boat. No pay, no prospects, not much pleasure”

AlanH
04-05-2018, 11:30 AM
We used to have a place on Herron Island, which is sort of around the corner from Gig Harbor, WA. You all need to know about the Gig Harbor Boat Shop

http://gigharborboatshop.org/

Now home of Thunderbird, Hull #1, I believe.

AlanH
04-05-2018, 11:37 AM
And on the Case Inlet, up by the port of Stretch Island, the Grapeview Point Boat Works

http://grapeviewpointboatworks.com/

http://grapeviewpointboatworks.com/images/tirrik2/tirrik2-first-sail.jpg

sleddog
04-06-2018, 10:37 AM
"Victoria is a bit of the old Empire in that pinkies up, stiff upper lip, tweed and a Gin and Tonic sort of way combined with that frontier spirit of beaver pelts, red serge of the Mounties, and socialized medicine. In short: Canada at its best," writes Race2Alaska director Jake Beattie.

Many readers are likely familiar with the Empress Hotel and docks in downtown Victoria, site of the 2018 Le Mans race start for the R2AK at noon, June, 17th. Though it's dress code has likely changed, some years ago I was barred from entry into the Empress for wearing Levis. More recently, a guest was banned for life from the Empress when a large flock of seagulls trashed his room. Here's the story:

A visitor from Nova Scotia brought some "Brothers" pepperoni pizzas, a Halifax delicacy, to his naval friends stationed in Victoria. As his room lacked a refrigerator, the Empress guest decided to cool the pizza on the window sill while taking a walk, it being a brisk April day.

On his return, the guest found about 40 seagulls in his room. The startled birds "immediately started flying around and crashing into things as they desperately tried to leave the room through the small opening by which they had entered," said the Bluenoser.

The result was a tornado of seagull excrement, feathers, pepperoni chunks and fairly large birds whipping around the room. Lamps were falling, the curtains were trashed."

The guest waded through the birds and opened all the remaining windows. In his "agitated" state, he threw a shoe at one confused bird who tried to fly back into the room. Both shoe and seagull went out the window.

Finally, only one large seagull, with pepperoni still clasped in its beak, remained. "In a moment of clarity, I grabbed a bath-towel and jumped it," the guest said. Both the towel and bird also went out the window.

Below, the shoe and the towel-wrapped seagull landed on visitors arriving for afternoon High Tea at the Empress.

At this moment, the visitor realized he had only a few minutes before an important business meeting, and only one shoe to wear. He recovered his muddy shoe and attempted to wash and dry it in his room. But a hair dryer mishap knocked out power to the hotel.

You can't make this stuff up. Needless to say, the guest from Nova Scotia and his company received a letter saying he was no longer welcome at the Empress.

Now, 17 years later, the Empress has had a change of heart (and dress code) and pardoned the offending visitor for "time served."

Best to keep your hotel window closed when staying in Victoria for the start of the R2AK. But Levis are OK.

Philpott
04-06-2018, 11:19 AM
THAT is a FUNNY story, Skip!

thank you to Bob Johnston for the photo of Skip Allan being punished for wearing levis

AZ Sailor
04-06-2018, 11:39 AM
"Victoria is a bit of the old Empire in that pinkies up, stiff upper lip, tweed and a Gin and Tonic sort of way combined with that frontier spirit of beaver pelts, red serge of the Mounties, and socialized medicine. In short: Canada at its best," writes Race2Alaska director Jake Beattie.

Great story, and great quote. And yes, the Empress Hotel is emblematic of Beattie's quote. When you're in the Babcock & Storey bar at the Hotel Del Coronado, you can picture yourself in the America of Mark Twain. In the Bengal Room at the Empress you can feel like you've stepped into the British Empire of Rudyard Kipling.

jamottep
04-06-2018, 10:00 PM
PJ wins a BBQ'ed lamb dinner with mint sauce

Like this?

sleddog
04-07-2018, 02:47 AM
In another thread, a good friend writes "Because I'm in a mood today, regarding wool sail stops, etc. that will land in the water, I refer you to Racing Rule of Sailing (RRS) 55"

RRS 55 says "No Trash Overboard," to which I heartily subscribe, being in the cash-for-trash business. However, the rulesmakers, by their own admission, consider trash to be anything non-biodegradable.

Singlehanders are under image scrutiny from the public when they row ashore and empty an ocean crossing's worth of trash into already overflowing trash cans at Hanalei Beach Park, which then gets trucked to a Kauai landfill. Or in some cases barged back to the mainland.

And in one memorable case, discovering a sailor pumping oily bilge water into Hanalei Bay.

Good trash management begins before leaving the dock with the consideration of low impact packaging. I cringe when seeing skippers loading cases of single-use plastic water bottles.

I encourage Leave a Clean Wake, ashore as well as afloat.

BobJ
04-07-2018, 08:46 AM
THAT is a FUNNY story, Skip!

thank you to Bob Johnston for the photo of Skip Allan being punished for wearing levis

I actually had nothing to do with the photo. Nor do I recall seeing Skip wear Levis, regardless of the weather.

sleddog
04-07-2018, 10:14 AM
I actually had nothing to do with the photo. Nor do I recall seeing Skip wear Levis, regardless of the weather.

Released from after school detention. Sleddog early singlehanding practice keeping moveable weight forward in light winds.

sleddog
04-08-2018, 01:42 PM
I'm not 100% pure when it comes to making sure no lines are trailing over the side. But really learned my lesson coaching aboard SHENANDOAH and demonstrating tailing the main halyard from just aft of the mast. The halyard tail went through my legs....and, unobserved, over the side. Presently, the main halyard tail was yanked out of my hands and the mainsail was quickly hoisted with lightening speed. When the headboard hit the top of the mast, the boat's engine unexpectedly stopped.

I knew immediately that we'd wrapped the main halyard tail around the propeller. No one else had yet noticed the bar taut main halyard leading over the rail, aft, and underwater.

I politely suggested to the skipper that we immediately luff and pick up a nearby mooring, which we did. As SHENANDOAH lost way, I dove over the side and was quickly able to unwrap the halyard from the propeller, saving face and the afternoon of practice.

Something similar happened yesterday. I've been driving Howard's electric ZENN ("Zero Emissions No Noise) Low Speed Vehicle. Max legal speed for a LSV is 25 mph. And after being plugged to the charger all night, the "BLUE BOX" will cruise across town and return before going into limp home mode.

Yesterday while driving the Blue Box, I had several passing drivers honk, wave, and point. At first I thought they were saluting my small environmental friendly vehicle. Then I glanced in the mirror and realized I was towing 50 feet of orange extension cord.

As Chick Hearn used to say, " No Harm, No Foul." But a reminder, just like on SHENANDOAH, of being mindful, especially with a halyard tail or extension cord.:rolleyes:

Philpott
04-09-2018, 09:56 AM

http://figure8voyage.com/what-comes-next-for-the-figure-8/

sleddog
04-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Wise choice indeed.

The Smokester
04-09-2018, 11:25 AM

That blog post has the first photo I've seen, taken from a small boat, where the waves actually look really big.

The Smokester
04-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Wise choice indeed.

I think the option of keeping the boat in Oz for 9 months, and then continuing with the original journey, would have been okay, too.

Obviously, a deeply personal choice.

sleddog
04-09-2018, 12:02 PM
That blog post has the first photo I've seen, taken from a small boat, where the waves actually look really big.

Philpott
04-09-2018, 02:12 PM
I don’t see a whale but is that the swell at the entrance to the SC harbor?

The Smokester
04-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Pretty impressive! Are those wave photos in the open ocean?

sleddog
04-09-2018, 03:18 PM
The top photo is in the '79 Fastnet Race on IMP. We were technically in the Irish Sea. The swells were the biggest I've experienced: 30-60 feet. The swell in the top photo looks close, but is actually several hundred yards astern. Instructions to the driver from the "spotter" were "don't look back!" We all wore double harnesses, two crew on deck and six below.. Sail combo was double-reefed main only in 40 knots true wind, with AWA of ~ 150 degrees and boat speed manageable (for an IOR design) at 7-10 knots. Many boats were rolled. 15 died.

The bottom photo is from WILDFLOWER off Pt. Pinos, Oct. 28, 1978. We had five crew aboard returning from Stillwater Cove. I requested, due to the swell conditions, that everyone hang out below until we got closer to Monterey and into less of a chance of a breaker coming aboard. There is a red bell buoy anchored 1/4 mile off Pt. Pinos. With alarming frequency in winter swells the buoy is bodily picked up by a breaking wave and deposited ashore. There is a surf spot just around the corner from Pt. Pinos called "Ghost Tree." When Ghost Tree is breaking, it is the one of the biggest waves in the world, bigger than Mavericks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amomWrTkWik

AZ Sailor
04-09-2018, 08:08 PM
The top photo is in the '79 Fastnet Race on IMP. We were technically in the Irish Sea. The swells were the biggest I've experienced: 30-60 feet. The swell in the top photo looks close, but is actually several hundred yards astern.

Sail Magazine special issue, October 1979.

The cover description:

Determination and fatigue mask the faces of the crew of the 77-foot Kialoa as she charges down a monster sea during the Fastnet Race. Photograph by Louis Kruk.

From the article “The Storm Force Fastnet”, by Jack Knights, at p. 108 of the issue:

Aboard Imp, the top scoring US [Admiral’s] Cup boat, skipper Dave Allen and his crew cleared Land’s End Sunday night and, after setting a spinnaker early Monday morning, found themselves close-reaching through pleasant southwesterlies that afternoon. They estimated that Imp was about 1 ½ hours ahead of Jeremy Rogers’ Eclipse at that point. By dinnertime, however, the wind had gone into the west and was building in intensity. Imp changed to a #3 genoa and a triple-reefed mainsail and later on that night went to a working staysail set on an intermediate stay. Just before 0200 the staysail came down of its own accord after the masthead halyard chafed through.

Allen recalled later that the wind was then blowing about 35-to40 knots. At 0225, Imp went around the Rock sailing in close company with the Irish Admiral’s Cupper Regardless. Allen had decided not to attempt to set a headsail after the staysail came down, and Imp successfully turned the corner with only the triple-reefed mainsail.

Once around, they set the #4 genoa but at 0400 it was lowered in the heavy going and Imp sailed for many hours with the triple-reefed main and a storm jib. At 1200 Tuesday, with the wind decreasing slightly, the #4 genoa was set again to complement the triple-reefed main. Two men were always on deck aboard Imp and both were always in harness gear.

sleddog
04-13-2018, 06:54 AM
4/13/18
On a road trip to S.Cal for spreading of ashes of a dear aunt, I was able to kayak yesterday in childhood waters of Newport Harbor. There lying on a nearby mooring was an old friend, the splendid 86 foot schooner ASTOR, a Wm. Fife design launched in 1923. She is built teak on bronze. Like a moth to a flame, I circled ASTOR several times, admiring her obvious loving attention.

ASTOR is no slouch, having finished first in the Sydney to Hobart. And competed world wide.

On my 2nd circumnavigation of ASTOR, and nearby big cat AFTERBURNER, the breeze quickly built from SW 6-8 knots, to W 18, gusting 25. This strength of breeze is rare for Newport, and one foot whitecaps speedily built across the Bay. With only 4" of freeboard on the kayak, I paddled for shelter at Newport Harbor Yacht Club, where 12 international teams were racing Harbor 20's in the Team Race Baldwin Cup.

Even with reefed mains, the Harbor 20's were dangerously out of control in the stadium racing close tactical situations, and racing was postponed for the afternoon in the fresh breeze, which would have been considered a pleasant wind for SF Bay. One skipper friend from Eastern Yacht Club in Marblehead gave me the skinny: "the boats are designed for S. Cal winds, the rudders are too small for this breeze.."

As I sat on the NHYC dock watching the Baldwin Cup action, I considered the present. I've been writing an online gig as a hobby for 24 years, since 1994, when the only internet sailing related Forum was a "news group" called "watersports." The following year, "Rec.Boats.Racing" appeared as a Forum to post sailing related info. Photo postings were still in the future, due to dial up speeds and antiquated computers.

I thank everyone in SSS, and on this SSS Forum, for allowing my indulgence in two of my passions: sailing and writing. I rarely anticipate subjects. Many are significantly off topic; some not even sailing related. More than a few are repeats.

I write for fun, education, often questing for an historical perspective: my first race, the Flight of the Snowbirds, was 7 decades ago, right here where I was today paddling the kayak. Snowbirds were 12 foot catboats, with a boom as long as the mast was high, and several hundred were once local to only Newport Harbor. Now only one remains, in a nautical museum.

No deadlines, no publisher edits into unrecognizable prose, no minimum wage. Been there, done that, as did my father for a monthly West Coast sailing rag called SEA.

I didn't chose Sleddog as my "handle," it chose me. I tried for "Seadog", but it was already taken, even in the early days of 1994. At the time I was skippering "sleds", Ultra Light Displacement Boats or ULDB's like MERLIN, Santa Cruz 50's and 70's, mostly built in Santa Cruz, where I relocated in 1971 after managing a communal bookstore in Palo Alto.

Once I became "Sleddog," I began receiving unsolicitated e-mails from Iditarod and dog team owners, inquiring as to my techniques, and what kind of dog food I preferred. One lady wrote from Alaska inquiring whether my dog team would be interested in meeting her pups. The only thing I knew about dogfood was during a financial dry spell in college, I had tried eating a can. Not a recommended dining cuisine!

I write on an older Toshiba laptop, with many letter keys well worn, even indecipherable.

I've met about 15-20 of you. The other 99% of readers are unknown to me, although I doubt DJT frequents this Forum. Golf seems to be his gig.

I wish everyone well with your summer endeavors, whether it be racing, cruising, or day sailing. Trivia winner or not, you are always welcome at the Capitola Boat Club. If you have sailing related questions, comments positive or otherwise, or a good story, you are always welcome here to post on this current "thread." Or just write me directly. My e-mail is skipallanatsbcglobal.net

Good Sailing!

~sleddog

robtryon
04-13-2018, 08:19 AM
LaDonna and I really enjoy reading your 'blog', Skip. Every time I open the SSS site and this thread is highlighted, I click on it first to see what's new with you. We really enjoy hearing about your travels and the historical perspective is what makes it special, gives it all context. Your depth of knowledge is astounding and we appreciate your sharing it with the world. As members of the 1% (FINALLY!), keep writing, keep posting photos, and keep on sledding.

Rob & LD

PS: I never heard of the Snowbird class till you mentioned it in an earlier post. I did some research and found there were hundreds. Shocking that only one remains!

Lanikai
04-13-2018, 11:08 AM
...The other 99% of readers are unknown to me...

Our Father, who art in heaven...give me this day my daily Sled.
Amen.

- One of the 99% and still amazed I get to witness the almost daily musings of a sailing legend. Please keep it coming. I think I'd be too star-struck to join the 1%.

MAGICdreamer
04-13-2018, 01:52 PM
We are so delighted that you needed a cat fix, lo those many years ago up in Blunden Harbour. Archie helped us to meet and we have been delighted to be friends since. Thanks for all of your help and tips for MARTHA's Transpac and it is always a pleasure to spend time together. Please do keep it up, amigo.
C&V&C

Philpott
04-13-2018, 02:10 PM
I write for fun, education, often questing for an historical perspective ~sleddog

Aaaahhh, Skip. Your obvious enjoyment and appreciation for everything on water is apparent. How much do I appreciate you in return? Well, every morning I stumble downstairs, pour myself a cup of coffee, read the San Francisco Chronicle and despair of the world. I pour myself another cup of coffee and read the Wall Street Journal and despair of the world anon. I pour myself a third cup of coffee, return upstairs to my work room and turn on my computer where I read ... Sleddog. Then finally, FINALLY the world begins to come into focus and I am becalmed. All is right with the universe. Is it the coffee or is it your splendid writing? We all know the answer to that. And when you attach photographs? Nothing better than Skip & boats.

Intermission
04-14-2018, 03:14 PM
Nothing better than Skip & boats.

Technically, I'm in the 1% for two brief passes, but I am in the 100% who enjoy your writing.
I wish you'd publish an anthology or a long yarn.
Write faster dammit! :P

hodgmo
04-14-2018, 03:16 PM
"I wish you'd publish an anthology or a long yarn."

^What he said.^

dolfinbill
04-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Hey Skip, From the first time we first saw your artistic and imaginative logbook in Moorea (1987) to the many ports since - you amaze and entertain us with your wisdom and creativity. Thank you for being there.

Bill & Patty
s/v Dolfin

Jonathan Gutoff
04-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Just to let you know Skip, There are a lot of us who really enjoy your writing but don't chime in that often. Please keep on going.

Daydreamer
04-15-2018, 06:00 PM
I always look forward to Sled's latest posts. All of the racing, sailing, travels, and history. Never a dull moment.
Thank you!