PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for a first-timer?

kotyara
01-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi folks,

If you've attended the skippers meeting you might remember that 3BF would be my first ever race... and the longest single sail I've ever done. With that in mind, are there any words of wisdom you wouldn't mind sharing with me? Apart from "don't run into other boats", that one I figured out, although actually following it would probably not be so easy :) Seriously, I'm flying blind here, so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex Kunadze
Cal 29 Hatikvah

BobJ
01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Alex, this race is for skippers like you. Don't take it too seriously and have a blast. I missed last night's meeting but I'll bet it included the following:

1) Stay well up current of the starting area until just before your start time. If you cross the line early you get a 20 minute penalty, which I did stern-first once! In other words, don't try to nail your start (that's for the one-design boats).

2) Keep the basic right-of-way rules in mind. Starboard tack over port, leeward boat over windward, boat ahead over boat astern, etc. Assume the other boats don't know the rules so rule #1 is paramount = avoid contact. At marks, usually the boats closer to the mark have right-of-way. If you can keep moving by sailing around a stalled-out pack, you'll pick up many places in the race in minutes. Smile and wave as you go past all of them.

3) Look around constantly, especially under the jib - boats seem to come out of nowhere.

4) Stay out of the restricted areas or you'll be going home early - there are ten of them. Look at the SSI's and charlets and photos on the web site.

5) Get ready early - put stuff in the cockpit you'll want during the race so you can stay on deck.

6) Don't forget to check in.

7) Strategy-wise, look for boats who have wind (heeling a bit and moving). If you see a bunch of boats standing straight up, don't follow them.

8) Turn on your nav lights near the end of the afternoon - you might forget later.

9) Take it easy, try to relax, and think of all those poor folks on the East Coast with their boats stuck on the hard . . .

Critter
01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Great advice from Bob. I would add emphasis to a couple of his points:

2. If the wind is especially light, there's a good chance that boats will collect in a giant blob around Blackaller - since it's the closest mark to the start. Be prepared to sail wide, or even change your plan, if it looks dead in that direction.

6. If at all possible, carry a handheld VHF so that you can check in without running below. If you don't have a handheld, check in while you're still far from the start line. One year when I was PRO, I had to score someone DNS for no check in because he waited until he was in dense traffic and then couldn't safely go below.

Max

Philpott
01-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Take extra food. And maybe coffee. Some of those $1.15 handwarmers. Chocolate. These are the complicated tactical decisions. I'll leave the rest to others.

kotyara
01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks a bunch! I'll try to follow those points. I did get a hand-held VHF yesterday, since I found I can't really hear the one in the cabin. I was tempted to put the 150% genoa on, seeing as there probably won't be too much wind there, but it's hard to see around it, so I guess I'll just stick to the working jib and still try make it back by 7pm.

On another topic, I'm berthed at Coyote Point, which means it would take me a good 4-5 hours to get the start line. The day is going to be long already, that would just make it crazy. So, I'm thinking of getting a guest berth somewhere in the city and sleeping on the boat. Is anybody else doing that? Which harbor would you recommend?

Cheers,
Alex.

Critter
01-24-2013, 11:39 AM
I usually see a few Three Bridge racers at South Beach, where I keep my boat.

kotyara
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Great, that should be easy to get to. How long does it take to get to the start line from there?

Jan Brewer
01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Great advice from those fabulous three sailors. Glad you joined us last night and I hope some of the things said will be helpful. In case you haven't figured, even though this is a fun race, there are some serious boats and racers out there so keep a wide berth from the fleets who use this as part of their series, e.g., the Moores and the Express 27s. We have a good turnout of Js this year too so like I said last night, actually Mike Meloy gets the credit, make sure you gotta lot of fenders and think way, way ahead and most of all, be safe and have some fun! What's your birthday?

BobJ
01-24-2013, 02:09 PM
What's your birthday?
Uh oh . . .

Regarding my point #7, don't forget you can go the "wrong way" around a mark. I button-holed TI/YBI in 2011(?) and passed about a third of the fleet who were parked up under the Bay Bridge trying to go the "right" way - muhahahah! Those Easom guys button-hole the islands routinely.

Absolutely change out to that 150 genny if it's light. Just wait to do it until the boats have spread out - maybe on your first downwind leg. That 150 on a long whisker pole could be the bomb downwind (do they still say that?) I did eight sail changes in one 3BF, and that was single-handed. Some of them turned out not to be fast, but it gave me something to do.

Okay, back to work...

kotyara
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Uh oh . . .

Hmm... that sounded ominous somehow... is there a story behind it?

Regarding my point #7, don't forget you can go the "wrong way" around a mark. I button-holed TI/YBI in 2011(?) and passed about a third of the fleet who were parked up under the Bay Bridge trying to go the "right" way - muhahahah! Those Easom guys button-hole the islands routinely.

That sounds like a good thing to keep in mind, but I think I'll just follow the pack, seeing as I don't really know the area.

Absolutely change out to that 150 genny if it's light. Just wait to do it until the boats have spread out - maybe on your first downwind leg. That 150 on a long whisker pole could be the bomb downwind (do they still say that?) I did eight sail changes in one 3BF, and that was single-handed. Some of them turned out not to be fast, but it gave me something to do.

You're right, I keep forgetting the race would last close to 10 hours! Plenty of time to learn how to change sails on the fly.

BobJ
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Hmm... that sounded ominous somehow... is there a story behind it?Yes.

But don't be too concerned. Jan would be crazy to tie up the race channel that much during a 3BF. Right Jan?

I forgot an important one:

10) As you look around, keep checking under the three bridges (even the far ones) for approaching SHIPS. In the Bay they always have the right of way. They'll get to you faster than you think so you'll need to alter course early if you're in/near a ship channel. If you have to start your engine to move out of their way, you have to drop out of the race, which is a bummer.

kotyara
01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Ah, well, I guess I'm safe then. It's Nov 27, no races around that time :)

Ships - yes, I've come across a couple while moving the boat from Richmond to Coyote Point. Scary stuff, especially the tugs with all that cable in between them.

Just called South Beach - they're full unfortunately. Pier 39 is not answering the phone. Any other harbors close by where I might have some luck getting a slip for the night?

Cheers,
Alex.

BobJ
01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Singing "Happy Birthday" is not what she has in mind.

Jan, don't even THINK about it. I want to do a skippers' meeting mini-talk on the proper use of the VHF. You don't want to be "Exhibit A" do you?

Black Jack
01-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Alex, this race is for skippers like you. Don't take it too seriously and have a blast. I missed last night's meeting but I'll bet it included the following:

1) Stay well up current of the starting area until just before your start time. If you cross the line early you get a 20 minute penalty, which I did stern-first once! In other words, don't try to nail your start (that's for the one-design boats).

2) Keep the basic right-of-way rules in mind. Starboard tack over port, leeward boat over windward, boat ahead over boat astern, etc. Assume the other boats don't know the rules so rule #1 is paramount = avoid contact. At marks, usually the boats closer to the mark have right-of-way. If you can keep moving by sailing around a stalled-out pack, you'll pick up many places in the race in minutes. Smile and wave as you go past all of them.

3) Look around constantly, especially under the jib - boats seem to come out of nowhere.

4) Stay out of the restricted areas or you'll be going home early - there are ten of them. Look at the SSI's and charlets and photos on the web site.

5) Get ready early - put stuff in the cockpit you'll want during the race so you can stay on deck.

6) Don't forget to check in.

7) Strategy-wise, look for boats who have wind (heeling a bit and moving). If you see a bunch of boats standing straight up, don't follow them.

8) Turn on your nav lights near the end of the afternoon - you might forget later.

9) Take it easy, try to relax, and think of all those poor folks on the East Coast with their boats stuck on the hard . . .

10) Count on a crowded start - be attentive and patient in picking your way through early morning fleet.

11) Have a oar or paddle at the ready to keep a little headway and control before the start.

12) If you can't or don't finish - radio in to committee as all boats need to be accounted for.

13) Bring a cell phone so you can call folks that care you are going to late.

kotyara
01-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Singing??? Oh God, what have I gotten myself into...

Ok, nevermind, got a slip at Pier 39. I hope the hangover won't be too bad on Sat :)

BobJ
01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
11) Have a oar or paddle at the ready to keep a little headway and control before the start.

Um, I wouldn't row or paddle "to keep a little headway" - at least not right in front of the Race Committee. That's a no-no in a sailboat race.

Which reminds me of a certain very well-known skipper who took a whiz off the transom while crossing the finish line. There's a photo sequence and everything.

Black Jack
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Um, I wouldn't row or paddle "to keep a little headway" - at least not right in front of the Race Committee. That's a no-no in a sailboat race.

Which reminds me of a certain very well-known skipper who took a whiz off the transom while crossing the finish line. There's a photo sequence and everything.

True true... I suggest that you give yourself time and speed as you make your way to the start. Consider the flood tide and know the light morning winds - 150 stalled boats coming down on you is a challenging thing - make sure you smile big to those who could pass you pastries, coffee or a beer at such close quarters.

01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Great advice from everyone. I'd only add:

1. be flexible, go where the wind goes. 7 or 8 years ago, the 3BF was my first race ever, and I went into it with a plan: counter clockwise, YBI first. There was an ebb current building as I approached the Bay Bridge, and the wind was from the south; I couldn't make any headway. I spent 3 hours tacking back and forth from one end of the bridge to the other, too stubborn to change tactics. Finally got to Red Rock after dark, in the rain, the only boat in sight, and called it in.

2. don't give up, if there's any possibility that you could finish before the deadline. It's a long race, and there might be periods when it seems hopeless, but then a shift in the wind can make a world of difference. Hang in there!

3. eat, drink, and pee when you can, don't wait until you have to.

4. keep it friendly, try to win, but don't expect to. There are some seriously good racers out there, but luck can be a huge factor, too.

I hope your first race experience is as good as mine was! And if that sounds funny coming from someone whose race didn't go so well, it's because it was a "big" experience, with lots of highs and lows. The run down from YBI to Red Rock, after finally getting under the bridge was just glorious, rain or not. The thrill of coming to a stop next to Red Rock and realizing there's a decimal point on the depth sounder -- 5.0 feet, not 50 -- was memorable. The long motor home in the dark, taking care to keep far enough off Berkeley to avoid the pier, gave me plenty of time to think about the day.

Oh, one more thing: Another option for staying over is to anchor out at Angel Island. It's pretty close by, and free!

Good luck!

kotyara
01-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Thank you very much everyone for great advice. I guess we'll see tomorrow if I listened well enough :) I'm all squared away at Pier 39, can't wait till morning. Somehow I'm sure it will be a day I'll remember for a long time...

kotyara
01-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, that was an experience, to say the least. That was the first time I've been in anything more that 10 knots of wind... apparently it was blowing around 25 at the finish line. All in all, it was really exciting, but damn scary at times. I definitely learned that I don't really know squat about sailing and would need more guidance and practice. But hey, it was a blast, literally :)

Trying to "nail the start" wasn't a problem. I put the sails up too early and ended up crossing the line about 30min late.

Bob, I took your advice and changed to the 150% during a windless spot on the way to Raccoon Straight, figuring it wasn't going to blow that hard. Boy, was I wrong. It was nice downwind, but upwind, on the way to Red Rock and later from Bay Bridge to the finish, I had to use both hands to pull on the tiller hard just to keep the boat from rounding up. On the last leg I had to let both sails out a bit, even thought that made the leach flutter, otherwise I couldn't keep the boat under control. Is there a trick to making this work, or is it plain sail change time?

Speaking of which, I had big problems trying to get the genoa down after the finish. With the wind and the waves, the tiller pilot just couldn't keep the course (a few time it simply jumped off the peg), so I couldn't even come forward to pull the sail down. I ended up sailing home with the genoa in the water. So, how do you change (or douse) head sails in a blow?

Also, how do you deal with autopilot in these conditions? Do you tie it down the tiller so it doesn't jump off the pin, or is it designed to do that so as not to be damaged? Is it a question of getting a stronger model (I have a Simrad TP22), or are they all pretty useless in these conditions? If so, how do you manage to leave the tiller if you need to do something else?

The real fun came on the way home, as my engine pretty much died. It would start occasionally, run for a minute or two, then die again. I made it back to Coyote Point under sail hoping it wasn't as windy there, but it was blowing just as hard. The entrance to the harbor is a small channel with shoals on both sides and I wasn't brave (or stupid) enough to try sailing into that in those conditions in the dark. Ended up calling the Coast Guard, they came by and towed me in. They were really nice about it too. I was expecting an earful about rookie boaters, but they were very patient and understanding.

Again, that really was a blast. I definitely gained a new appreciation for the difficulty and dangers of sailing. Hopefully will be better prepared next time, both me and the boat.

Once again, thank you all for good advice, it helped a lot.

Last, but not least, big thank you to all the organizers and race deck crew for managing to get 350 boats going despite a broken radio. It must have been hell in a basket there in the morning...

Philpott
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
OMG!!! All those experiences in one race. With a boat new to you. I am so impressed. And you didn't hit any other boats. And you are a singlehander. Clearly now you are a singlehander. What a day! Jackie

kotyara
01-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Well, not hitting other boats was one of the two goals I had for the race (I did come close a time or two, the other boats were nice enough to let me pass). The other was to actually finish, which I also accomplished. Not sure I actually started though. I got really confused with the location of that X buoy, so I don't know if I actually crossed the line. Was definitely close though :)

I know all this probably sounds like child play to you experienced sailors, but it was quite an experience for me. Thank you SSS for making it possible (and Jensen Marine for making boats that last half a century!)

BTW, one more thing that I learned: don't try to sleep on the boat while docked at Pier 39. Sea lions and tidal surges will drive you nuts!

Travieso
01-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Well, not hitting other boats was one of the two goals I had for the race (I did come close a time or two, the other boats were nice enough to let me pass). The other was to actually finish, which I also accomplished. Not sure I actually started though. I got really confused with the location of that X buoy, so I don't know if I actually crossed the line. Was definitely close though :)

I know all this probably sounds like child play to you experienced sailors, but it was quite an experience for me. Thank you SSS for making it possible (and Jensen Marine for making boats that last half a century!)

BTW, one more thing that I learned: don't try to sleep on the boat while docked at Pier 39. Sea lions and tidal surges will drive you nuts!

Just keep coming back, it will all start to make sense....

Philpott
01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
hahaha I've heard that about Pier 39. But that's all part of the story now.

Intermission
01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Love this thread!
Looks like one of the shorter 3BFs on record. the RC must have felt like one arm paper hangers between 13:30 and 15:00!

We were rattling our saber at the 3BF this year for the first time too, but the wife took ill, and we will race at a later date instead. The bottom needed cleaning anyway.

How much does it cost at Pier39 to not get any sleep? :P

kotyara
01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Hehe, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Sometimes I feel like an annoying kid asking the adults lots of silly questions :) but only sometimes.

Pier 39 was $45 flat rate for boats under 36'. Another boat from the race, "Rock On", was parked next to me, so I wasn't the only one with that idea.