PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Questions

blighbaum
03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Perhaps you can help me with the following questions:

1) Passport. Do most people doing this race carry passports? I've heard of the Navy and Coast Guard boarding boats at sea, in which case a passport might be helpful? I might also need one if I miss Hawaii and end up in Japan . . . .

2) Identifying numbers. What's the best way to put identifying numbers on the hull? Foot-high numbers are required, but the numbers they sell at West Marine and Svendsen's are only 4".

3) Securing water jugs, cans, etc. The compartments in Feral's cabin are shaped so that I can wedge stuff in them, and, on the LongPacs, I've had no problem with stuff shifting or falling out. Nevertheless, I don't want to be hit by a flying can of Dinty Moore. I was thinking of putting padeyes in the compartments and then tying netting to them over the stuff. Is there a better way? If this will work, would I buy the netting at REI?

4) Boat name on lifejacket. What's the best way to do this? I have a standard foam lifejacket. I don't understand the purpose of this rule, so I don't know how large the name is supposed to be, whether it should be in reflective letters, etc.

5) Fishing. Can you recommend any lures, lines, techniques, to use? Any good recipies?

6) Calamari. I've heard that squid sometimes wash up on deck. Has anyone tried cooking and eating them? If so, any good recipies?

7) Reference books on sea life. Are there any good, compact books that I can use to identify birds, fish, dolphins, etc.? (I think I could tell an albatross from a giant squid, but apart from that . . . .)

8) Ever tried Trader Joe's food in pouches on a boat? Trader Joe's sells rice, Indian food, etc. that comes in sealed pouches. You just put the sealed pouch in boiling water, pull it out after 2 minutes, open and eat. They're cheap, compact, do not need refrigeration, and can be easily made without using fresh water. (No, I do not work for Trader Joe's.) I eat them at home or on the boat in port, but I've been reluctant to eat them offshore because they can be salty or spicy and I'm afraid they might make me drink too much water.

Thanks and good sailing. - Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Alchera
03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Passport - I've never bothered bringing one, but if you think it will help, it certainly won't hurt.

Numbers - I order mine from a vinyl graphics place. Click on 'Ordering' at the top to see the different colors and fonts. You can get them 12" high, which is the requirement.

http://www.prismvinyl.com/Marine-Graphics.asp

Securing stuff - I also use lots of padeyes. Instead of net though, I use plastic barrier fence, which you can order online or buy at your local hardware store. It has the advantage of not getting wet, not getting bunched up, easy to tie lines through for securing, and easy to cut to whatever shape you need. And it's really strong.

http://www.unitedsafetyauthority.com/892766.html

Name on lifejacket - Mine is just painted on in black paint. I'm not exactly sure what the requirement is for, but I expect it has to do with identifying flotsam and whatever in the event of a search. I don't think making the letters reflective is all that useful.

Fishing - I use a 300lb test hand line with one of those pink and white squid looking lures. The boat end of the line is tied to a bungie cord to absorb the initial shock of a hit, since I'm not using a pole. Works really well on Mahi Mahi. Drag the fish behind the boat until he pops to the surface and starts skidding along on its side, then it's tired enough to safely bring in. Also, take some cheap vodka with you to pore in the gills once you land it, so you can cut it up without a bloody struggle.

Calamari and flying fish will land on the boat, but I don't find either appetizing enough to eat them. Just make sure you get them off the deck before they bake onto it from the sun. Particularly the calamari.

- Mark /Alchera

Paul Elliott
03-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Perhaps you can help me with the following questions:

1) Passport. Do most people doing this race carry passports?

2) Identifying numbers. What's the best way to put identifying numbers on the hull?

3) Securing water jugs, cans, etc.

4) Boat name on lifejacket.

5) Fishing.

6) Calamari.

7) Reference books on sea life.

8) Ever tried Trader Joe's food in pouches on a boat?

Passport: Never have carried mine to Hawaii. Never been boarded though. It couldn't hurt to carry it (unless you lose it), but it shouldn't be necessary. U.S Driver's License or other ID should be sufficient

ID Numbers: You can make the numbers using the custom-cut vinyl lettering that is sold for boat names. These can be made in just about any size, and can be removed later. You can order these through West Marine or other places.

Securing stuff: Good idea, no specific suggestions.

Boat name on lifejacket: I wrote mine using a large permanent marker (Sharpie), and the Pacific Cup inspector was sastisfied. I suppose the requirement is so when you sink the flotsam can be identified, or perhaps so the drift patterns can be used to help with SAR. I'm guessing.

Fishing: use heavy line, 50# or better. I've had good luck with rubber squid (pink, and white, have caught dorado, but that's just what I happened to use). I also used a cedar plug lure and quickly caught dorado and tuna. The lures were trailing about 75 ft astern. My boat is pretty slow (heavy cruiser), so YMMV.

Calamari: Perhaps, but we always found them in the morning after they were drying out and turning stiff. Not too appetizing. Same for flying fish.

Reference Books: Great idea. I carry some of those laminated cards -- "Fish of the Pacific" and "Birds of the Pacific", but something with more detail would be nice.

Trader Joe's food: We took some TJ's tuna curry in the foil pouches, and it was a big hit. We served it over rice. I'm going to bring more this time, and sample some others ahead of time as well.

Eyrie
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
2) Identifying numbers.

BTW, it is not required that your numbers be applied to the hull of your boat, per rule 8.4:
Weather cloths or number boards will be allowed if they are attached in a manner such that they will not be removed by the action of the sea.

I made a pair of vinyl panels with grommets in the corners and applied sticky back insignia cloth numbers, like the numbers on your sails, which is available from any sail loft. Then I lashed them to my lifelines.

Eyrie