PDA

View Full Version : power cell for recharing phones and laptops

AlanH
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
My boss came back from MacWorld with literature about these and thought you all would be interested....should work for any device which is chargeable through a USB port.

http://www.powertrekk.com/

kotyara
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Interesting idea, but it's not really free energy. From what little info there is on the site, it uses disposable "fuel pucks", each containing a nominal 4Wh of energy. That pretty much makes it just another kind of disposable battery. They don't say how much those pucks cost, but I'd bet it would be much cheaper and more reliable to simply stock up on a few of these: http://www.frys.com/product/7161572?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

BobJ
02-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Stepping it up a bit, but I want one of these:

EFOY Fuel Cell (http://www.efoy.ca/en/marine-efoy-fuel-cell.html)

Jerome had one on his Mini for the last SHTP - said it was about five grand...

JAMcDonald
02-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Me too. A mere $3,999 at US Marine Products - thank goodness not $4,000. The fuel (methanol or what used to be called wood alcohol) is $60 for 10 liters. Great concept - i think I remember reading something about possible short life times for the fuel cell itself. Which, given the paucity of dealers and out of country support could be an issue. Use of non-manufacturer provided methanol may void warantee if membrane dies (how they would tell if you used reagent grade methanol I can't say).

Here is an interesting link: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/09/efoy_fuel_cell_a_winner.html

Philpott
02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Powertrekk + approximately $300; pucks are 3/$10 and just so cute

Matt
02-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Here's another tinkerer type solution for charging your phone and AA batteries.

Rhino 12V 5AmpHour gel cell battery wired with a fuse to a cigarette lighter 12V socket plug <$40. Phillips car charger with multiple connectors for micro-USB or iPad connectors <$20. Plug the car charger into the battery connection. Plug the USB connector or iPad connector to your device to recharge. The gel cell battery can be completely portable and any number of AmpHours, the 5 AmpHour gel cell weighs 4-5lbs. The battery can be charged from an A/C charger or connected to your 12V on-board wiring for charging from solar. The 5AmpHour gel cell can recharge your phone many times and the battery can be recharged many times. The lead-acid gel cell can be recycled after it's done in 2-4 years.

I was tired of my phone battery constantly not being charged when I needed it to be so I wired together a separate gel cell 12V battery with a cheap charger and socket connection. You can spend a lot more money to do the same thing. I can never find those little fuel-cell packs when I need them just like the AA batteries I can never find for the hand held Garmin. I have a bunch of gel cell batteries that are 1/2 used up for an e-bike and they come in handy for all kinds of uses on the boat. Rechargeable AA batteries with the car charger work too.

dhusselman
03-16-2015, 02:04 PM
I was in the process of ordering an EFOY. However I was talking to folks that have done the Pac Cup with a Watt & Sea generator and they wouldn't use anything else. They are doing the Pac Cup next year as well and will stick with the Watt & Sea. So I'm not sure what direction to go. I assumed that the Watt & Sea would create drag, but it seems that it's negligible and has less performance impact than the weight in fuel that would be required otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Dirk - First 30JK "TIJD"

Stepping it up a bit, but I want one of these:

EFOY Fuel Cell (http://www.efoy.ca/en/marine-efoy-fuel-cell.html)

Jerome had one on his Mini for the last SHTP - said it was about five grand...

BobJ
03-16-2015, 02:58 PM
If I was making the decision today (vs. two years ago when I posted that) I'd probably get the cruising version of the Watt-and-Sea hydrogenerator. It starts up at only two knots and reaches "autonomy" at 5 knots. The racing version is lots more money and doesn't reach autonomy until 8.5 knots - that's a 200-mile day and I don't get many of those on my boat.

In the last year or two I've heard mixed reports on the EFOY; meanwhile the hydrogenerators have become more mainsteam.

solosailor
03-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Hydro gens and Fuel Cells are great product but are very pricey. I'd add more solar for very few pounds.

dhusselman
03-16-2015, 04:02 PM
The Watt&sea cruising version is what I'm considering in combination with a few solar panels.

If I was making the decision today (vs. two years ago when I posted that) I'd probably get the cruising version of the Watt-and-Sea hydrogenerator. It starts up at only two knots and reaches "autonomy" at 5 knots. The racing version is lots more money and doesn't reach autonomy until 8.5 knots - that's a 200-mile day and I don't get many of those on my boat.

In the last year or two I've heard mixed reports on the EFOY; meanwhile the hydrogenerators have become more mainsteam.

DaveH
03-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Elise had an efoy last edition... given Nat's problems with her solar connections, seems like it worked when it needed to.
It is pretty spendy though...
DH

svShearwater
05-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Between the EFOY and the Watt & Sea I think the hydro makes a lot more sense for the same price. Massive amount power quickly, means you don't need the hydro in the water all the time.

I believe Natalie C. had an EFOY in 2014 and struggled with having enough energy. I don't know what size it was, but perhaps it just wasn't big enough. Either that or she didn't bring enough fuel to run it as much as needed.

We are thinking W&S cruising version and solar for a belt and sospenders approach. Having a crap ton of solar is a good value, but not so great if the sun doesn't shine (2012?).

If your boat has a diesel and an alternator, then solar is a nice supplement and you might be able to carry less fuel. The value of a W&S seems much less if you have an alternator. Sure you can carry less fuel and save weight, but it is spendy and there is a little drag. At that point you are scratching the very last things you can do to go faster and you better have all the other options covered (great sails, great autopilot, for example).