PDA

View Full Version : The Great Vallejo Race Prep

Matt
05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
It's been a busy week by the hoist at the Alameda Marina.

I've had a lot of good advice from people hoisting their boats about fixing Tinker. I'm sure there are some boat builders that will look at my temporary fix and scoff but in my defense, it's only been 6 days and I'm better working with steel than with fiberglass. The fix is stronger than it was before and can now take a hit from an even bigger boat. I'll be so on edge that it will be a long time before anyone gets that close to me again. Err... Find a piece of wood and then knock on it.

Here's the before picture: 314 Ouch!

Here's the after picture, 6 days later: 315

Two 14 gauge stainless steel plates bent a little over 90 degrees to match the hull angle, fast set 3M adhesive, and 8 bolts going through the toe rail and hull. It's watertight and ugly but will work for this weekend's race. Took the bow pulpit off, whew that's some hot work the last couple days, had some friends in the shop at my work cut up a consignment stanchion and weld the left side of the pulpit back straight again with the foot in almost the right place.

JAMcDonald
05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Very nice E-repair! I have a bunch of glass (tape, biaxial, roving) and various fillers. You can have as much as you need to do the final repair (I used some of this to strengthen the bow of my Wilderness 21 where there were voids). No resin - that was used up in last job. I just used Rufus for a repair on my Moore (reversing current-inflicted by the anchor rode on the trailing edge of the keel) - you can see the results in in slip 303 close to Tinker. If the repair looks as good as his reputation is, send me an email for contact info if you want to have him take a look at it.

Let me know about the glass and I'll throw it in the van I'm coming over Tuesday to Alameda. John

AlanH
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
I noticed this on the boat at the Start in Vallejo and wondered what was under the stainless steel!

Philpott
05-06-2013, 02:43 PM
I would have to suggest nerves of steel

Matt
05-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Great picture of the E-Patch on the bow.

What a blast that was to Vallejo.

Thanks for the offer of repair materials and all the moral support from the SSS forum & members. The support has encouraged me to get going again.