PDA

View Full Version : New Traffic Separation Scheme

ChrisH
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Greetings330,

FYI, I just picked up the 3 required NOAA charts from Marilee at Waypoints who informed me that as of June 1st, 2013 the traffic separation schemes that radiate out from the SF 'lightbucket' will be slightly changed. The new charts will show this and I have attached a diagram (courtesy of USCG) showing the changes (in green) overlaid on the current scheme (in magenta).

Here's a link to the 'Notice to Mariners' for USCG district 11:
http://navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm11172013.pdf

Look forward to seeing everyone at the skipper's meeting June 12.

Chris / Carroll E

BobJ
05-29-2013, 04:19 PM
GRIBs on your grids with grits is in the building!

(Or was it panini?)

ChrisH
05-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Definitely panini. I once asked for maple syrup to go with my grits at a diner in Atlanta and was almost tar and feathered right there on the spot. I've since learned to stick with what I know.
Now had I asked for GRIBS, hmmm?.......I might have gotten in response, "will that be GFS or COAMPS hun?"

Wylieguy
06-01-2013, 06:42 PM
The new traffic separation scheme that goes into effect today also includes the removal of the N., W., and S. Entrance Buoys. There's apparently no timeline for this to happen; it depends on the availability of resources to do the job. No SSS races use these buoys, but OYRA does - or did. I think we can look forward to the removal other buoys - Pt Knox is one example - as the CG gets out of the buoy biz and into the electronic world of navigation. Keeping Richardsons Bay safe with a RIB-mounted 50 caliber weapon is more important. Who know what those anchor outs are plotting? -- Pat ;-)

jfoster
06-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Although the rules require paper charts, as a matter of practicality, I navigate with my iPad in a glorified freezer bag from West Marine and my iPhone on a smaller WM bag on its own lanyard around my neck, for two competely independent GPS receivers and chart plotters.

From Rich Ray, the Longtime SSS membervwho developed iNavX ( my favorite navigationapp):

iNavX updates do not include charts. *If you want to update charts..

http://www.macsailing.net/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/1134/

there you will find a very complete cheat sheet on updating the three charts involved.

06-13-10 09:52 AM - Post#5296 ***

Insure your device has an internet connection. This can be done by opening noaa.gov or x-traverse.com websites in Safari.

- A single NOAA chart:
1) Open the Chart.
2) Select the "i"nfo button in the lower right hand corner.
3) Select the action button in upper left hand corner.
4) Select "Update Chart".
5) Select "Yes" to download.

- Recently used NOAA charts:
1) Access the the Chart List for a specific NOAA region, specifically the History - select the clock icon in the Chart list filter button.
2) Select "Update Charts".

- An entire NOAA region:
1) Open any NOAA chart from the region.
2) Select the "i"nfo button in the lower right hand corner.
3) Select the action button in upper left hand corner.
4) Select "Remove All".
5) Select any NOAA chart from region.
6) Select "Yes, All" when prompted to download.

- An entire X-Traverse region:
1) From the iNavX main menu, select "Setup".
2) Select "X-Traverse Account".
3) Enter email address used for X-Traverse account and X-Traverse password. Note if you forgot them, then reset password..

https://www.x-traverse.com/sessions/forgot_passw ord

4) From the iNavX main menu, select the X-Traverse region to update.
5) Select the magnifying glass icon from the Chart List filter button (upper right hand corner).
6) Select "Update Chart List".
7) Select "Yes" and the new Chart list will download. Note: This could take a moment.
8) Select any chart from the Chart List.
9) Select "Yes,All" when prompted to download. In the event a chart doesn't download (downloaded charts will be in a bold font), select the chart and return to step 9.
Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad Charting & Navigation & Weather
www.gpsnavx.com

sleddog
06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
I've never been 100% clear on big ship speed limits inside and outside SF Bay and approaches. A chief Bar Pilot made it clear: No speed limits until Inland Water COLREGS, which is demarcation line between Point Bonita and Mile Rock. East of that, the speed limit is 15 knots speed through the water.

Word to the wise: that inbound container ship coming down the Main Shipping Channel towards the Golden Gate may be doing 20 knots. If he's got flood current, maybe more.

The Pilots back off the RPM's at Pt. Bonita abeam. Doesn't mean they slow right down to 15 knots.

Many of the Pilots, being sailors themselves, are aware of the South Tower Demon. But not all. So don't count on a whole lot of room when sharing the traffic lane with big ships. They will do their best. But time is money in their business.

BobJ
06-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Remember too that you can talk to them on Ch. 13 to make your intentions clear. I did this near the end of a Drakes Bay return race when we needed to gybe close to a ship to get a good angle back under the Gate. "This will look a little close but I will NOT try to cross in front of you." The reply was "Okay, thanks." No horns, no drama. Just don't screw up the gybe . . .

Zaher0021
11-08-2023, 01:48 AM
Definitely panini. I once asked for maple syrup to go with my grits at a diner in Atlanta and was almost tar and feathered right there on the spot. I've since learned to stick with what I know.
Now had I asked for GRIBS, hmmm?.......I might have gotten in response, "will that be GFS or COAMPS hun?"

Hi,
It's always fascinating how regional preferences can be so strong when it comes to food. Ordering grits with maple syrup in Atlanta was definitely an unexpected choice. Embracing local dishes like GRIBS in a place like Atlanta might have led to a different reaction, (https://nregajobcardlists.org/) with a nod to meteorological models like GFS or COAMPS being quite amusing. It's a reminder that trying local flavors can lead to some interesting and memorable culinary experiences.