PDA

View Full Version : Heatable meals

Submarino
06-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Bob, 2 years ago, you described a better tasting alternative to Heater Meals. What was that brand again? Thanks!

BobJ
06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Chef 5-Minute Meals. They're smaller than Heater Meals so you'll need to supplement more, but they tasted better. Amazon has them.

Caveats:

1) I used them in the 2006 SH TransPac - things may have changed.

2) They include a lot of waste (plastic tray, the box, etc.) Not green.

3) "Better tasting" is relative - sort of like a hard hit on the head vs. a semi-hard hit on the head. Amazon sells them in the Gourmet Food section - that's a stretch.

They'd probably be okay for a LongPac but for another SHTP I'd either use some good backpacker stuff from REI (Mountain House sells a self-heating kit you can use with their meals) - or I'd learn to cook.

Enjoy!

Come to think of it, Mountain House meals with their self-heating kit is what I used in the 2011 LongPac. Pretty decent as I recall, and not having to use the stove that year was huge. More expensive but it's only 3 days' worth.

Philpott
06-26-2013, 01:03 PM
I will bring a Mountain House Beef Stew to the Long Pac Awards Ceremony and serve it up in small doses. If that isn't an additional and compelling reason to attend an SSS meeting, I don't know what is.