PDA

View Full Version : Dropout

cr1
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I thought I should post this on a more prominent spot than on the Guadalupe Race thread...

Hey All,

I had to drop out of the Guadalupe Race (qualifier for the SHTP). And I'm dropping out of the SHTP also. I'm stating the reasons here because I feel it necessary to let you know how hard this decision is.

1. When I did the Guadalupe race in 2002 as a qualifier it was a different experience. I loved being out there alone. This time I couldn’t actually get into that mode. I don’t know if it’s the boat or me or a combination. In 2002 I had a 40 foot Island Packet which my wife and I had bought new and had spent 5 years outfitting. This time I had a 1976 26 foot Contessa. Both are great boats but I've come to the realization that at 63 I'm not the adventurer/outdoorsman that I once was. The older we get the more comfort we need.
2. Money. I know this is always a main concern but I’ve expended way too much on this boat. At least twice more than what I paid for the boat. Karen and I both agree on this. It’s time to cut my losses. With not much income coming in I have to be smarter.
3. I’ve actually become a family man. I’ve never been much of that. I was always an outdoorsman and adventurer. Now with a bit of seasoning I’ve finally settled down and prefer this life. Thank God for that! With a 5 year old and 3 year old grandson living 4 blocks away, I missed them and my wife more than I thought I ever could.

Thanks,

Rich
-----

jbarthelmass
03-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Rich,

Nobody who has actually gone through the work and the cost (both financial and emotional) involved in getting ready for one of these races could possibly criticize your decision, or the reasons that you reached your conclusion.

You've gotten further than most ever will, and should be applauded for having the courage to give it your best try, and for having the honesty to decide that it wasn't what you want to do.

John Hayward
03-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Rich,

I'm 58 and don't think I would want to do it in a 26 footer now either. I think it takes a lot of courage to drop out at the point you are, perhaps more than it takes to stay in if you don't think you are going to have a good time. Enjoy the wife and grandkids and be sure to teach the grandkids the joys of sailing.

John H, Dream Chaser (still on track for the SHTP), Valiant 40

AlanH
03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm so used to navigating on a paper chart laid out on a piece of plywood on my lap....and sleeping on the cabin sole in my foulies, on top of sails....peeing in a bucket and chucking it over the side....living on bottled drinks and unheated Dinty Moore stew, that I don't know what I'd thin if I had a boat with a real galley and a real berth that I didn't have to go through contortions to get into/out of, at sea. It's a whole different experience from an Island Packet!

I also well know the grim realities of looking at the growing debt on the credit card and having to say "enough" at some point. I'm also intimately familiar with the thought process that sounds like this..

"I just spent ten thousand dollars on this boat. I bought it for ten thousand dollars. If I had to sell it, I might be able to get seven thousand dollars for it....and now I have to spend six thousands dollars to ship it BACK?"

I hear you. I totally understand. We all have to make judgement calls like this, each one of us, at times.

Carry on, and keep sailing that great little boat around So. Cal.

Alan

jbarthelmass
03-30-2008, 09:36 PM
To all,

Below is an excerpt from and email I sent to Synthia tonight - this is the hardest email I've ever had to write:

Synthia,

I returned from my qualifier and, after getting some much needed sleep, opened my email this evening to find your message. Based on everything that you’ve done to help me, and all the camaraderie I’ve experienced leading up to this SHTP, I feel I owe you and the other competitors the following:
Unfortunately, the biggest thing I brought back out of the qualifier was that I wasn’t enjoying the singlehanded distance sailing as I have in the past. Obviously, I had a great deal of time to ponder and analyze this realization during the trip. My conclusions were as follows:

The substantial grind of preparing for this event has finally worn me down. As you know from your own past experiences, everyone wants to lend a hand, and everyone wants to lend advice that you need to do this or do that – but, at the end of the day, you’re on your own. During the qualifier, instead of looking forward to the time at sea, I found myself approaching it like a job – something that just had to be done. I found myself watching the log and thinking “10 miles down, 390 to go….20 miles down, 380 to go…etc). I’ve done ocean passages before, and I’m aware of the fact that it takes some time to adjust to any passage. But this feeling didn’t subside during the entire trip - and I’ve never experienced that phenomenon.

Throughout the race preparations, I’ve been haunted by the substantial costs that continue to accrue. I’ve been taking a very minimalist approach – no SSB, no AIS, borrowed equipment wherever possible, only one new sail, etc; but the costs are still substantial. Larry at Loadaboat was absolutely fantastic in working with me to keep down the cost of getting the boat home (I can’t afford the time off work to sail her back), but it’s still a big chunk of money. It gnaws away at me to spend so much on my personal adventure when these same dollars could be put to better use elsewhere in my family.

My boss at work likes to talk about the “opportunity cost” of an action which, I guess, is one of those MBA things. But I did realize that there are opportunity costs to this endeavor – time away from family and friends, emotional stress for my family, etc. I found that these costs factor into my decision as well.

The bottom line is that the qualifier gave me 400 miles to sit and sort out this whole adventure. My decision, after carefully weighing my thoughts and the overall situation, is to formally withdraw from the ’08 SHTP.

This decision isn’t something I take lightly – I’ve followed the SHTP religiously since 1994; and it’s always been my dream to participate in this race. But, in the harsh light of day, I’ve come to realize that this isn’t the time or the place to fulfill this dream. I have nothing but respect for the event and for those who have or will compete in it – that is one thing that my qualifier did not take away.

Thank you again for the kindness you’ve shown as we’ve moved toward this race. I feel that I’m a better person for trying, and a much better person for having been associated with you and the entire Class of 2008.

Please let me know if I need to do anything beyond this email to officially notify SHTP of my withdrawal from the race. And thanks again for the hard work that you put into this event – and I really, truly, mean that.

John Hayward
04-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi John,

Sorry you won't be making the race, but from your description of the qualifier, I think you made the right decision. Since none of us are in this for monetary gain it is really pointless to do it if you don't at least feel sure you will enjoy the experience. If you are just counting down the miles until the ordeal is over, you really shouldn't be there. One thing I like about this group is there is all the help you can ask for but no peer pressure to continue if you decide it's not for you. I think it's like getting married, if you are not sure it's right, it's not right!

My thoughts,
John H
Dream Chaser

AlanH
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
i completely and totally understand. Having dreamed about, but not done many, many SHTP's, sometimes you just have to do a little cost/benefit analysis....and sometimes the cost isn't worth the reward. I've made that call many times: "not this year". It's a call that we all have to make.

Best of luck in everything else, and keep sailing that great boat you've got!

gagould
05-02-2008, 06:38 AM
You may become wiser as you grow older, but your organs begin to show their age. I have been diagnosed with prostrate cancer. Fortunately, it has not spread and should be removed within the next two months. I am scheduled for an operation on June 11. I have been told it takes at least three months for complete recovery. Needless to say this puts me out of the race.

I will be back for the 2010 race.

Regards,

Gary

tiger beetle
05-02-2008, 11:28 AM
You may become wiser as you grow older, but your organs begin to show their age. I have been diagnosed with prostrate cancer. Fortunately, it has not spread and should be removed within the next two months. I am scheduled for an operation on June 11. I have been told it takes at least three months for complete recovery. Needless to say this puts me out of the race.

I will be back for the 2010 race.

Regards,

Gary
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that all goes well, and we'll see you on the start line in '10.

- rob

Alchera
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Best wishes for your recovery. We'll miss you this go around, but look forward to your entry in 2010.

- Mark

jbarthelmass
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Gary,

I went through the same thing ten years ago this summer. The first month or so of recovery is a little tough, but things get better after that.

Many things have changed in ten years, and the treatments and side effects are much less now than earlier. If you have any questions, or just want to correspond with someone who's been through it, PM me.

It sounds like you caught it early, which is really a great thing.

Best wishes in your speedy and full recovery, I'll be looking forward to sailing with you in 2010.:)

haulback
05-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Gary:
Was diagnosed with same last year - had it removed in early september. and took off in the boat (by myself, of course) for a couple weeks sailing - just locally, by late October..... Seeing as I had a bunch of time booked off from work it seemed a shame to waste it just sitting around.

Not too big of a deal if you get it early, it would appear.

Certainly beats getting run over by a truck!!!

Happy to correspond with you off the forum if you wish

Jim/Haulback

John Hayward
05-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Gary,

Very sorry about the cancer and not being able to make the race! Hope everything goes smoothly and you can make the race in 2010. I don't envy you having to wait another two years after getting this close.

Good Luck,
John
Dream Chaser