PDA

View Full Version : windvane needed

Philpott
07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Dura Mater needs a windvane, but not a brand new one because that would throw off the shabby symmetry that is so much a part of her charm. In other words, I don't want to pay more for a new monitor than I paid for Dura Mater. There is a Narvik for sale in San Mateo but Brian Cline asks the very reasonable question: WHAT ABOUT SPARE PARTS? Readers, please advise.

BobJ
07-15-2013, 09:25 PM
You can have parts made - I'm picking up some SS plates from Craig at Metal Magic tomorrow. No biggie.

Philpott
07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Where is that?

BobJ
07-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Metal Magic (I wrote it backwards) is at 333 Kennedy Street in Oakland - next door to the Outboard Motor Shop and Star Marine (Electronics), by the Park Street Bridge.

Cover Craft
07-15-2013, 11:19 PM
After 20 years on the Constellation my Navik's paddle folded on the Longpac 2 years ago. I understand that this is a relatively common failing. I was able to rebuild it (save the parts!) to a condition I'm confident is stronger than original. I've made several other minor repairs over the years, no big deal. If Navik can make parts so can lots of people. Good vane for smaller boats. But don't try to install or remove the paddle underway unless REALLY CALM and always lock the air vane (puts it in neutral so to speak) before tacking or jibing in 30 knots of wind.

Philpott
07-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you, all. I'm driving down to San Mateo to collect that Navik. The alternatives were just too expensive. Cover Craft, are you in the SF bay area? I would appreciate it if I could come by and see how your unit is mounted. This one is coming off an Oday 34, and Dura Mater is a Cal 2-27; the Oday has a slight slant to the stern, whereas my boat is vertical. Jackie