PDA

View Full Version : The Return Trip

Philpott
10-04-2013, 06:30 PM
The topic of our February 12 seminar: what are the chances that a crew member from the Pac Cup would like to sail a Singlehander's boat back?

Philpott
10-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks. That makes sense. I know there are shipping options, but don't want to wait until Feb to learn about other creative ideas. Has anyone stored a boat on the island, then gone back for it later? It doesn't look like there is a marina on Kauai. Am I jumping the shark on this topic? Yes

BobJ
10-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Nawiliwili. 2-3 SHTP boats have wintered-over there (that I know of, maybe there were more), some were shipped home from there and a couple were sold there.

Waiting until after that seminar to make plans leaves little time. I'll be stealing somebody's thunder but here are my notes from 2008:

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/seminar_handouts/bob_johnston_seminar_writeup.pdf

Here are Chris's notes - some of the contact information has changed. Larry (Load-a-Boat) is still around but the boatyard at the Ala Wai is not. Not sure about the others:

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/seminar_handouts/chris_humann_seminar_notes.pdf

Philpott
10-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Great notes.. Thank you, Bob! Thank you and welcome back, Chris!

Mewes
10-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Right on, Jackie! A few guys said February was too early for this topic!

In 2010 we learned that Matson sent over a ship/barge from Honolulu every other week or so .. And returned to Honolulu.

Larry runs a crane in Nawilliwilli which loads and unloads Matson's vessel. Very nice guy, very accommodating. His name is somewhere in my files.

Working with Matson, Tony was our contact, we scheduled our trailer to be shipped to Honolulu, transferred to Nawilliwilli, stored in the yard til the race finished. The boat was sailed to Nawilliwilli, lifted onto its trailer by Larry, stored in the yard, then loaded onto the vessel. It went from Nawilliwilli to Honolulu, then to Oakland/Richmond.

Scheduling was interesting, because, unlike BART, Matson doesn't care when the vessels transfer their cargo!

Ronnie left the Moore 24, US 101, in Hawaii. Adam Correa sold his Folkboat.

The round trip, solo, is magical.

Hope that helps.

One thing we learned in '04 was that it paid off to carry our follies home. People who left theirs on the boat couldn't race back in the Bay until the boat was home a month later.

Lucie