PDA

View Full Version : Rigging & Sails videos are up

Philpott
10-10-2013, 09:19 AM
So far, Will Paxton of Quantum Sails has agreed to come speak. Would you like him to address something in particular? Ask here.

BobJ
11-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I was just having a chat on another forum about preventers and it reminded me about this upcoming seminar. When we bring our own SHTP issues it makes these get-togethers much more relevant and useful, so let's hear (see?) what you've been thinking about.

BTW, you will want a preventer during the race - will you be ready to rig it (such that it won't break your boom when the boat rolls and the boom dips in the water)?

Are you planning on taking twin headsails and poles? One pole or two? Snuffer(s)? A spinnaker net? Outgrabber? One of Synthia's thongs?

Does your main have chafe protection? How about the business end of your halyards? What should be in your sail repair kit?

Then there's the sail inventory itself.

ETC.!

WBChristie
11-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Is it possible to use skype to watch these seminars for us geographically challenged wannabees? I heard a rumor that this might be possible...or a video?

BobJ
11-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Dave Morris made a video of the Power Generation seminar. The YouTube links to it are in the thread for that topic.

If anyone knows how to set up Skype (or similar) and can manage that for the next seminar, please step up.

sdpaine@cox.net
11-29-2013, 11:27 AM
I have been thinking about hanks vs. headfoil.
Second on the request for help viewing the seminars for those not fortunate enough to live in the Bay Area.

svShearwater
12-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Is it possible to use skype to watch these seminars for us geographically challenged wannabees? I heard a rumor that this might be possible...or a video?

Second that request. I would love to be there in person for these, but living in Texas and a mid-week seminar don't work out so well for me. A video is great, but the opportunity to interact would be even better.

Philpott
12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Brian is going to try to skype the meeting tonight. Here is a caveat: the Oakland Yacht Club wifi is notorious for its flakiness, and skype is dependent upon wifi. That said, if people are interested in being included, send him your skype email, or call me @ 510.681.5440 Otherwise, we'll get some dark video out to you via Dave Morris' gopro. That's the SSS. Sail what you got, and videotape with any type of tech-no-logy you have at hand. Remember what Bob Johnston said: "We are not a yacht club". Jackie

BobJ
12-11-2013, 01:22 PM
In fact, we're better than a yacht club! Darn right!!!

I'll have a GoPro too, plus the SSS's old motorized Brownie 8mm whackjobthing - we'll get something recorded.

Scott Easom will be presenting the rigging portion tonight. He is literally the "rigger to the stars," having designed and maintained the rigging for numerous high-end programs like Disney's PYEWACKET. He also works on many of our boats and understands the issues of singlehanders. He "Easomized" my boat when I first bought it.

SO PLEASE COME TONIGHT!

brianb
12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Brian is going to try to skype the meeting tonight. Here is a caveat: the Oakland Yacht Club wifi is notorious for its flakiness, and skype is dependent upon wifi. That said, if people are interested in being included, send him your skype email, or call me @ 510.681.5440 Otherwise, we'll get some dark video out to you via Dave Morris' gopro. That's the SSS. Sail what you got, and videotape with any type of tech-no-logy you have at hand. Remember what Bob Johnston said: "We are not a yacht club". Jackie

Skype: We need your unique skype ID. I just tried adding someone and there were dozens of them scattered around the globe. I took my best shot. if you have an ID that is not unique please include more info .

Better yet, add me to your skype contact list !!!! My ID is

facebook:brian.boschma

pogen
12-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Guest Berthing?

Hi -- I had a question from an attendee about coming to the meeting in his boat. Is there guest berthing either overnight or not at OYC or EYC? Need an answer fast!

[edit] OK, he says he is just going to use dirt-based xport, but still it would be good to know.

pogen
12-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Web Video Access to Meetings

I've had success at work and I also helped Ashley Perrin set up remote meeting access to one of her safety seminars using GoToMeeting (formerly WebEx, I think.) This is a great tool and is very lightweight on the audience end of things. It is kind of late notice, too late for tonight I am sure, but I will see if I can dig up the info on this. Are there only a few remote attendees?

Philpott
12-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Paul Kamen is bringing a short slide show of photos from the first Farallones Race in 1977. This is the precursor to the TransPac. He is probably prominently highlighted in his Tuna.

brianb
12-11-2013, 05:19 PM
I assume we will show this after the seminar ? Or maybe put it up when he gets here and run until 7 30 when we start the seminar ?

I just tested Skype from OYC. It works fine. Now we just need those that want to watch to find me in the skype address book and log in.

svShearwater
12-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Skype: We need your unique skype ID. I just tried adding someone and there were dozens of them scattered around the globe. I took my best shot. if you have an ID that is not unique please include more info .

Better yet, add me to your skype contact list !!!! My ID is

facebook:brian.boschma

I gave you my unique ID, but it probably fooled you because it said location: Madrid. Which was true the last time I used Skype about 6 months ago.

brianb
12-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I gave you my unique ID, but it probably fooled you because it said location: Madrid. Which was true the last time I used Skype about 6 months ago.

Yes, it did fool me completely. There are many logins with your name and several are in Texas. Next month we can set this up a bit earlier.

Regards,
Brian

WBChristie
12-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi Brian, will the video be available on youtube?
Thanks

brianb
12-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Hi Brian, will the video be available on youtube?
Thanks

Hi WBC,

The video will be posted on the SHTP website in the UPDATE section. Dave Morris was nice enough to capture a GO PRO video and as soon as he can get it uploaded we will have it to share. I don't have an ETA yet.

Brian

BobJ
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Dave indeed watched over the camera.

My son is doing the editing right now - there was lots of messing with computer hookups, burping and assorted distractions...

I'll have it up later tonight hopefully.

WBChristie
12-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks Bob

Philpott
12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Dave indeed watched over the camera. My son is doing the editing right now - there was lots of messing with computer hookups, burping and assorted distractions...I'll have it up later tonight hopefully.

Gosh, I spoke with the guys at that table, and asked them to not bump. I didn't think to ask them to not burp. Or worse. Ah, the sounds of the SSS recorded for posterity.

jfoster
12-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Usually there are lots of guest spaces at both Oakland Yacht Club and Encinal Yacht Club. The exception might be when the club has a large Cruise In event from another bay are yacht club.

pogen
12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Usually there are lots of guest spaces at both Oakland Yacht Club and Encinal Yacht Club. The exception might be when the club has a large Cruise In event from another bay are yacht club.

Does one have to be a member of a yacht club with reciprocal privileges to use them? That is often the case.

brianb
12-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Does one have to be a member of a yacht club with reciprocal privileges to use them? That is often the case.

I believe so, but honestly I can t recall them ever asking me what YC I am a member of.

WBChristie
12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Bob, did your son get off the phone yet?

BobJ
12-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Will Paxton's section on Sails is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGz8ANpik4

and Scott Easom's section on Rigging is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRCV8vvYA0&feature=youtu.be

Mucho thanks to Scott and Will for their presentations!

WBChristie
12-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you! :)

Nick S.
12-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks Bob, much appreciated.

sdpaine@cox.net
12-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Just want to add my thanks to those that made the video possible. I missed the SKYPE opportunity, but will connect next time.
Thanks again