PDA

View Full Version : THE RETURN TRIP February 12, 2014

Philpott
10-10-2013, 09:25 AM
This from Bob Johnston's 2008 notes: "Nawiliwili. 2-3 SHTP boats have wintered-over there (that I know of, maybe there were more), some were shipped home from there and a couple were sold there. Waiting until after that seminar to make plans leaves little time. I'll be stealing somebody's thunder but here are my notes from 2008:"

http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-websites/transpac2008/seminar_handouts/bob_johnston_seminar_writeup.pdf

"Here are Chris's (Chris Humann, Carroll E, Dana 24) notes - some of the contact information has changed. Larry (Load-a-Boat) is still around but the boatyard at the Ala Wai is not. Not sure about the others:"

http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-websites/transpac2008/seminar_handouts/chris_humann_seminar_notes.pdf

This from Lucie:

In 2010 we learned that Matson sent over a ship/barge from Honolulu every other week or so .. And returned to Honolulu.

Larry runs a crane in Nawilliwilli which loads and unloads Matson's vessel. Very nice guy, very accommodating. His name is somewhere in my files.

Working with Matson, Tony was our contact, we scheduled our trailer to be shipped to Honolulu, transferred to Nawilliwilli, stored in the yard til the race finished. The boat was sailed to Nawilliwilli, lifted onto its trailer by Larry, stored in the yard, then loaded onto the vessel. It went from Nawilliwilli to Honolulu, then to Oakland/Richmond.

Scheduling was interesting, because, unlike BART, Matson doesn't care when the vessels transfer their cargo!

Ronnie left the Moore 24, US 101, in Hawaii. Adam Correa sold his Folkboat.

The round trip, solo, is magical.

Hope that helps.

One thing we learned in '04 was that it paid off to carry our follies home. People who left theirs on the boat couldn't race back in the Bay until the boat was home a month later.

ronnie simpson
11-27-2013, 12:38 AM
just to add, the guy on Kauai with a crane charges about $500 to drive down there, set up, haul you out and set you o a trailer...

Matson does pick up in Kauai, transfer to Oahu and then ship home

slips are easy to come by in Nawiliwili during summer time. as long as you are out by about november (when boats need to return from anchoring in hanalei), there are no issues. Nawiliwili housed US 101 for 4 months, no problems, and it was cheap and the harbor office was friendly.

for what its worth, i sailed 101 to Oahu, hauled her out and shipper her home after it was all said and done with, to sell her. the boat market there is inconsistent.

I delivered the IP 380 "champ" home from kauai to seattle last year after the race. myself and i suppose a few others in the shtp community are capable and willing to help get boats home for reasonable rates.

slips are pretty easily available in oahu. at least 4 boats from 2012 shtp stayed in oahu for several months after the race

cheers

ronnie

JMKiel
01-20-2014, 01:06 PM
New SSS member. Prepping a boat for the 2016 SHTP. Interested in crewing on a boat coming back from this year’s race.

Thanks,
J.M. Kiel

peter00
01-27-2014, 09:41 PM
I require crew for the return. Contact me at pheiberg@yahoo.com

DaveH
02-18-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't need crew, as I am planning on the Matson route home.
But I am in search of a trailer for Domino, my Wilderness 30.
Anyone have one for rent/loan from roughly May 15 to Aug 15??

Critical dims for a Wilderness 30:
figure 8500lbs all up weight
30' long x 8.75' max beam
5.5' fin keel...

It has been suggested that a trailer designed for a Wylie Cat 30 would be just about ideal.

PM to dherrigel @ gmail dot com

thanks

DH

ronnie simpson
02-18-2014, 09:35 PM
DaveH !!!

Glad to see you are planning to sail Domino over there! Good luck finding a trailer. Check the Nelson's shit show near your work... Otherwise, having one built for Dom by Triad or otherwise may be cost effective...

DaveH
02-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Hey Ronnie -
yeah, I've poked through what's left over at Nelson's. Other than a forest of jackstands, there are only a few wheeled conveyances, all 3 seemingly attached to boats.
DH

Philpott
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
maybe too small for Domino, but maybe good for Little Wing?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/4347038610.html

I don't need crew, as I am planning on the Matson route home.
But I am in search of a trailer for Domino, my Wilderness 30.
Anyone have one for rent/loan from roughly May 15 to Aug 15??

Critical dims for a Wilderness 30:
figure 8500lbs all up weight
30' long x 8.75' max beam
5.5' fin keel...

It has been suggested that a trailer designed for a Wylie Cat 30 would be just about ideal.

PM to dherrigel @ gmail dot com

thanks

DH