PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, appreciation for SHTP seminar and some questions

Gamayun
10-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone,

It was great meeting SSS members last night at the first SHTP seminar. I am fairly new to sailing, new to my boat, and planning to do my first single-handed race to Vallejo, so not at all ready for a sail to Hawaii. But after watching from the sidelines last year in Hanalei Bay (as a guest of Dave and Lori Morris) and then hearing more of the testimonials last night, I'm surprisingly jazzed about at least getting prepped to consider doing this in 2016.

I have some questions...and apologize if this is not the right forum for asking them. I'll post future ones in the Shorthanded Sailing section.

Can a wind vane be used as an emergency rudder? I am thinking of the Hydrovane on a sugar scoop transom, which can be steered independently and has a pretty beefy rudder. Thoughts?

Does the inside manual bilge have to be connected to a dedicated seacock? I'm wondering if it can be T'd with a one way valve into the output for the manual pump that's in the cockpit.

Thanks!

Carliane
s/v Kynntana (Freedom 38)

BobJ
10-10-2013, 10:50 AM
> I'm surprisingly jazzed about at least getting prepped to consider doing this in 2016.

Yes, that's what happens at these seminars!

> Can a wind vane be used as an emergency rudder? I am thinking of the Hydrovane on a sugar scoop transom, which can be steered independently and has a pretty beefy rudder. Thoughts?

Yes, that's the most common solution, although the M-Rud for the Monitor is what we see more. Have a look:
http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/emergency_rudder_designs/emergency_rudder_designs.html

I think Nereida's is a Hydrovane. Also, while I'm thinking about it, boats with dual rudders have historically not needed an additional e-steering setup.

> Does the inside manual bilge have to be connected to a dedicated seacock? I'm wondering if it can be T'd with a one way valve into the output for the manual pump that's in the cockpit.

Mine is hooked up sort of like that. The cockpit pump was factory-installed and has a dedicated exit out the stern but my second manual pump (below) is T'd into the seacock for the electric bilge pump (with a check valve on both hoses). I'm not sure this is the best practice but it works on our boats since only one manual pump can be used at a time (single-handed). Also, best practice is to have bilge pump through-hulls above the waterline (when the boat is at rest).

Welcome!

Mewes
11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Carliane,

Great meeting you! Keep asking!

Lucie Mewes