PDA

View Full Version : san juan 24 for SSS season

bendoolittle
10-29-2013, 11:42 PM
I have a great offer to use a friends San Juan 24 for the season.

I have lots of experience, some SSS stuff, 20k mi cruising, built boats, fixed boats etc.

I am not concerned w/ in the bay stuff......but Farralone race makes me nervous......especially looking at chain plates and spreaders (boat is original).

On a scale of 1 (you are nuts to leave the marina) to 10 (sail it around the world)....where would you put this boat?

I guess I should also ask if I am out of the money before I start.....but I'll take my lumps on that account. Afraid that races like the 3 bridge will be tough unless sailed REALLY well on a boat like that...but opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Travieso
10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
I have a great offer to use a friends San Juan 24 for the season.

I have lots of experience, some SSS stuff, 20k mi cruising, built boats, fixed boats etc.

I am not concerned w/ in the bay stuff......but Farralone race makes me nervous......especially looking at chain plates and spreaders (boat is original).

On a scale of 1 (you are nuts to leave the marina) to 10 (sail it around the world)....where would you put this boat?

I guess I should also ask if I am out of the money before I start.....but I'll take my lumps on that account. Afraid that races like the 3 bridge will be tough unless sailed REALLY well on a boat like that...but opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Sail what you've got. Do review the safety information on both the sailing instructions and the site. You don't need to (shouldn't) do the Farallones until you are confident handling both the boat and yourself singlehanded. But that is just one race, don't worry too much about skipping it.

Dropping the rig, even inside the bay, is not recommended. If the rig is 20 years old, perhaps as a thankyou for your friend lending you the boat, you can install new standing rigging and make sure the mast stays pointing up (this is really a favor to yourself).

Whether you will be competitive or not can only be determined once you are out. Boat condition, sails, bay knowledge, your skill level, your ability to singlehand the boat, all will be put to the test and regardless of the fleet you end up with you will be against some strong veterans. The 3BF is not always a good gauge of your capabilities, it is called a fiasco for a reason. But the SSS is divided in fleets for first focus on being competitive within your fleet and then worry about the rest.

Good luck

bendoolittle
10-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Sail what you've got. Do review the safety information on both the sailing instructions and the site. You don't need to (shouldn't) do the Farallones until you are confident handling both the boat and yourself singlehanded. But that is just one race, don't worry too much about skipping it.

Dropping the rig, even inside the bay, is not recommended. If the rig is 20 years old, perhaps as a thankyou for your friend lending you the boat, you can install new standing rigging and make sure the mast stays pointing up (this is really a favor to yourself).

Whether you will be competitive or not can only be determined once you are out. Boat condition, sails, bay knowledge, your skill level, your ability to singlehand the boat, all will be put to the test and regardless of the fleet you end up with you will be against some strong veterans. The 3BF is not always a good gauge of your capabilities, it is called a fiasco for a reason. But the SSS is divided in fleets for first focus on being competitive within your fleet and then worry about the rest.

Good luck

Travieso,
Thanks for the input. And yes, I have always preferred my sailboats to have masts pointed up as opposed to not. ; )

No concern about my skills...... the San Juan 24 is just not the stoutest boat I have ever seen. Yet it seems robust "enough" certainly for in the Bay stuff. Time sailing the boat will give me a good feel, but wanted to see what those that have sailed these boats before would say.

Sounds like cockpit filling if scuppers aren't bunged, lazarette hatch letting water into the interior of the boat and keel "wiggle" are issues. But no one has mentioned inadequate chain plates or rudder issues. OK then!

3 Bridge is a great race, and a great race to get started with. By the time the Farralones roles around I will know if it is good or a bad idea to poke my nose out the gate.

Mostly wanted to see if anyone said, "HAY'l NO!" and save me from a false start.....or worse.

See you out there!!