PDA

View Full Version : SHTP carbon-offsets

haulback
04-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Reading the latest issue of Maclean’s magazine (our national weekly newsmagazine up here) this evening and one of the articles got me thinking……..

It was (yet another) re-hash about greenhouse gases, coal fired power plants, outrageous dependency on the internal combustion engine, blah, blah blah - and told of a group of NHL players (most of whom could not spell ‘carbon offset’) teaming up with the David Suzuki Foundation to buy carbon offsets because they play on artificial ice and fly around in airplanes to get to the next fight. !!!! Just imagine…….

This has to be the 'next big thing' as far as a way to make easy money-for-nothing.

Why, it could provide a golden opportunity for us to set up some sort of an international (Canada and the USA) corporation to flog similar hooey to any who are feeling particularly angst-ridden over buying another new Hummer. Or whatever.

We could offer these miraculous guilt-reducers at high prices in either currency, and with a satisfaction-guaranteed (our own satisfaction, that is) promise. OK, admittedly whoever buys-in to this will not get anything tangible out of it, but we may be able to recoup a portion of our entry fees.

I mean, what could possibly be greener than a sailboat race…..and we even fasten our propeller shafts to PROVE we don’t use our engine move the boat along!!! While perhaps a wee bit misleading - maybe - there no sense confusing things with the whole battery-charging discussion at this (or any) point, at least as far as this business plan is concerned.

We could even charge extra for creating habitat on the ocean floor, for little bottom creatures to hide in, from big bottom creatures – by tossing tin cans over the side as we make the crossing to Hawaii. Naturally, this would attract an additional fee, but because this option would be exercised in international waters, it need not be taxed.......

All we need is some guy with a sincere face, no morals, and the ability to design a slick web-page, to be our point man.

Haulback will kick in 35% of any SHTP carbon offsets sold in Canada to whoever takes the job…

Jim/Haulback

BobJ
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I think you're onto something there, Haulback.

I think every one of our select group of Presidential candidates would support this too. (BTW we'll trade the lot to you for those NHL players and a couple of future draft choices.)

I can set up the 501(c)(3) for you. Wait! SSS is already exempt - we could accept carbon-offset payments as donations! I can see it all now . . . !

tiger beetle
04-03-2008, 08:01 AM
The SSS TransPac Race and Development, Inc. should expand business opportunities to include a waterfront development division and assemble a business plan to start developing the new club house and facilities on the Composer Islands. Admittedly they're underwater now, but in the not-too-distant millenia this will be prime property located clear of the risky hurricane zone to the south.

If a business can be made of selling naming rights to stars, and building lots on the moon, then we can certainly get some investors on board for a new marina and small boat crane on, say, Liszt Island, with adjacent Mozart Island appearing any time now. For those that prefer a more temperate climate we should locate weekend getaway facilities on the more remote and rustic Kermit Island.

Then we can flog carbon offsets to non-sailors that wish to visit the islands, as we sail by on our way to Hanalei.

- rob/beetle

Eyrie
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
We could even charge extra for creating habitat on the ocean floor, for little bottom creatures to hide in, from big bottom creatures – by tossing tin cans over the side as we make the crossing to Hawaii. Naturally, this would attract an additional fee, but because this option would be exercised in international waters, it need not be taxed.......
Jim/Haulback

Sorry to put a kink in your chair, or whatever the appropriate expression should be, BUT the modified racing rules require that you bring ALL your trash with you to the finish line, even biodegradable cans, glass, paper. According to my sailing partner Sylvia, "If you haven't eaten it first (or wiped your butt with it) and it goes overboard, then you're going to hell". And believe me, she is never wrong. Just trying to save y'all from a future of hellfire and damnation. Oh, and apparently accordions. :eek:

Synthia/Eyrie

tiger beetle
04-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry to put a kink in your chair, or whatever the appropriate expression should be, BUT the modified racing rules require that you bring ALL your trash with you to the finish line, even biodegradable cans, glass, paper.

Actually, the rules require the ability to store trash in two separate containers; there's no requirement that any trash be stored. A similiar issue was noted by Alchera in a prior race, in which the rules required water containers - but no mention that they contain water :)

"4.12 Storage facilities to contain all rubbish on board up to the arrival ashore. Recyclable rubbish shall be contained separately from non-recyclable rubbish."

I kind of like the idea of providing habitats for small defenseless critters of the deep with our cleaned, carefully placed, individualized habitat tin cans: our racers support the small guy. As Haulback points out we can charge extra for this service.

- rob/beetle

Alchera
04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
They have accordions in hell? I wish someone had told me that earlier in life...

- Mark

Eyrie
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
"4.12 Storage facilities to contain all rubbish on board up to the arrival ashore. Recyclable rubbish shall be contained separately from non-recyclable rubbish."

Hear me now and beleive me later, you are REQUIRED to bring all your trash to shore in Hanalei. :mad:

"10.6 The Race Committee reserves the right to re-inspect any yacht after the finish. A yacht found not complying with the Racing Rules and Conditions may be disqualified, otherwise penalized, and/or excluded from future Singlehanded Transpac participation."

Your choice if you want to play Russian Roulette as to weather you will be re-inspected at the finish line...

They have accordions in hell? I wish someone had told me that earlier in life...

According to Gary Larson (Far Side, 10/4/02), when you arrive to Heaven, you get a harp. When you arrive to Hell, you get an accordion.

According to the Race Chair, when you arrive in Hanalei without your trash, you catch Hell!!!

Synthia/Eyrie

sleddog
04-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Did RC note on her recent visit to Hanalei if there were provisions to recycle? Last time I was there, the nearest recycling collection depot was two miles east of Princeville.

99% of Kauai's trash, recyclable or not, goes into landfill. As noted in a previous post, I encourage all competitors to plan ahead, and repackage as much as possible into reusable containers. Even Ziplocks can be washed and reused.

That said, how can RC know if trash went overboard if they don't inspect for food packaging ahead of time? If we arrive with zero trash and a big smile, are we DSQ?

Eyrie
04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
That said, how can RC know if trash went overboard if they don't inspect for food packaging ahead of time? If we arrive with zero trash and a big smile, are we DSQ?

"10.5 A final inspection will be performed on all yachts on Friday July 11, 2008 at the assembly point specified in RRC Rule 13. At this time yachts will be inspected for, at a minimum, the following: EPIRB, life raft, anchor, water and food. Nothing in these rules precludes the inspector from performing a more complete inspection of the yacht."

tiger beetle
04-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Hear me now and beleive me later, you are REQUIRED to bring all your trash to shore in Hanalei. :mad:

That may have been the intent, but the wording does not support the intent.

The requirement is to have facilities. There is no requirement to actually *use* the facilities.

How would the intent handle the case of a competitor that wishes to keep their trash on board and not bring it ashore in Hanalei :)

- rob

blighbaum
04-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Great Neptune's Ghost! Does the Committee really want to count my empty Dinty Moore cans (stored in their own garbage bag!) when I arrive in Hanalei?

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

BobJ
04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
The point is that the R/C doesn't want us putting anything in the ocean unless we've eaten it first. I'm cool with that.

To make the literalists happy, the R/C could change the first "to" in the subject provision to the word "shall."

The principal issue for the R/C will be to make arrangements for our garbage bags in Hanalei. (Ex: From our boats to the R/C's boat to the dumpster at the beach park, with the park's permission.) Especially if the last few days are warm, I will be anxious to offload that stuff as quickly as possible. If getting it to the landfill will be the racers' responsibility, this racer will have a problem with that.

blighbaum
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I am not an expert in ecological matters and I will do whatever the Committee requires, but, seriously, I imagine that the planet would be better off with my empty Dinty Moore cans at the bottom of the sea than in a landfill in Kauai.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Alchera
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Can anyone clarify what is considered recycleable versus what is not? I know at my house just about everything can be recycled - paper/cardboard, cans, bottles, and plastic. The stuff that doesn't go in the recycle container is mostly leftover food. But it would seem on a boat, throwing purely biological food waste overboard is not a bad thing, or am I wrong? It provides food for fish. So are we expected to save every apple core, every wilted leaf of lettuce, instead of throwing it overboard?

- Mark

haulback
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I totally agree that anything that will not rot or sink should be carried, not only to Hanalei Bay, but wherever your next port-of-call may be, no matter how far your travels may take you. There is nothing so absolutely disgusting as finding trash floating around when you are a thousand miles from land. Or windrows of plastic bottles, buckets, sandals and flip-flops along the high-water mark on the windward side of a small, isolated island somewhere mid-ocean.

I have a lot of respect for the sea, and have carried garbage for 6700 miles before getting rid of it. This includes glass, all plastics, tin foil, waxed or glossy paper (although I do tend to think it would eventually break down) Over the wall goes the tin cans, soft papers, weatherfax paper, food scraps, unsuccessful dinners. Tea bags, coffee grounds and filters. Probably some other stuff as well

I remain convinced the case can be made that tin cans, especially when immersed in seawater are biodegradable. Certainly aluminium cans will decay in short order in the bilge, let alone under water. Again, I am not in any way suggesting that all garbage/refuse should be discarded overboard.

And nothing at all should go over the side until well off the coast – I usually hold onto everything until around a hundred miles off.

I accept that the Race COMMITTEE has the ability and privilege to make, alter, and enforce rules as they see fit, and will abide by whatever bandwagon they happen to jump on, but quite frankly, this seems a bit much.

Maybe we could organize a group outing to the Hanalei landfill for a first-hand look once we all arrive????

Jim/Haulback

sleddog
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I totally agree that anything that will not rot or sink should be carried, not only to Hanalei Bay, but wherever your next port-of-call may be, no matter how far your travels may take you.
Jim/Haulback

Reminds me of an earlier race to Mazatlan. Our crew went to great lengths to contact all competitors encouraging "Leave A Clean Wake." We spoke at the send off dinner, handed out fliers, posted a reminder billboard on our stern at the dock.

The fleet was exceptionally responsible about keeping trash onboard, back in the days when usual practice was to toss it over the side. When the two dozen odd race boats arrived in the Mazatlan inner harbor, everyone dutifully took their garbage bags ashore to the local trash cans.

Next morning at sunrise, the local trash guy arrived, took the cans to the edge of the seawall, and dumped the contents into the Harbor. For quite a while the fleet was afloat in its own trash.

I think by this discussion most of the SHTP fleet are well aware of our responsibilities as stewards of the ocean we are crossing. And can thank RC for reminding us in no uncertain terms.

Alchera
04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Can anyone clarify what is considered recycleable versus what is not?

Ok, so I found a web page that lists what can be recycled in Kauai:

#1 and #2 Plastics (plastic bottles)
Aluminum cans (no tin cans)
Cardboard
Glass
Junk Mail (brochures, maps, magazines, etc.)
Newspapers

Containers must be rinsed and have their caps/lids removed. (I hope salt water is OK..) Notice that tin cans are not allowed. So those empty Dinty Moore cans are not recycleable, they go in with the normal trash. But all the newspapers and junk mail you will be getting on the way over can be recycled!

The recycle center is in the town of Hanalei, at the Hanalei Transfer Station. Hopefully the RC will be able to help the racers with taking their bags of recycleables to the center...

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/guides/recycle.php

- Mark

John Hayward
04-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Darn,

I haven't been on for a couple of days and miss a hot thread!

As a retired Biochemist whose brother is a retired Marine Biologist from Scripps (who is a full time cruiser currently in Bocas Del Toro, Panama) I could probably make a case for some trash going overboard, but................. Why bother???? It is a two week window out of our lives and isn't "cruising", it's a race. I could make a similar argument for the need for an emergency rudder for my boat, but again, "why bother." If you want to race, Follow the Rules.......... If you want to cheat about this or anything else, you probably can and none of the crew will rat on you but that does seem to go against the spirit of yacht racing.

To that end, I will take my glass garbage (with all the rest of my garbage) and put it in bags in spite of the fact that it started from sand and will return to sand more easily in the ocean than in a land fill, and have it for the committee boat at Hanalei when they bring me my MaiTai.......

As a side note, and perhaps the beginning of another debate, what does the transfer station in Hanalei do with the recycleables? I am pretty sure there are no glass or paper plants on any of the islands and I would even be surprised at a plastic bottle facility that could handle that volume of recycled plastic. If they are truly "recycled", they would then have to be shipped to the mainland. The energy required for this operation may well harm the environment much more than the stuff being dumped in the ocean even though it "sounds" more green. There are many actual examples of this sort of thing going on currently.

This ought to keep the debate going for a couple more posts?

John

haulback
04-05-2008, 09:41 PM
John;
I tend to agree, but no matter how silly it seems, I will follow the rules to the letter, saving all garbage to hand over to the RC on arrival. This race it too much fun to get bothered over collecting a few extra bags of trash in the lazzarette.

Unless I hear differently, this will include all food scraps (uneaten) and afore-mentioned unsuccessful dinners.

I was kind of wondering what facilities would be on the islands for actual 'recycling' as opposed to 'gathering' - Surely they would just dump it in the landfill rather than ship it all back to the mainland by ship?? Or would they use belly-dump barges out past the 12 mile limit???

But having brought up the subject inadvertently, (sorry!!) probably best that I should not take any more random pokes at it.

Jim/Haulback

brianb
04-06-2008, 01:49 PM
You folks have fun out there. I can't get recycling right on dry land, now it is a requirement for the SHTP ? Do you have to carry a green bag, and brown bag ? If you get kelp in the rigging in the first few hours of the race does that go into a yard waste bag ? Is there a finish line inspection of the bags contents for the first 3 placed finishers ?

Brian

"10.6 The Race Committee reserves the right to re-inspect any yacht after the finish. A yacht found not complying with the Racing Rules and Conditions may be disqualified, otherwise penalized, and/or excluded from future Singlehanded Transpac participation."

Your choice if you want to play Russian Roulette as to weather you will be re-inspected at the finish line...

According to Gary Larson (Far Side, 10/4/02), when you arrive to Heaven, you get a harp. When you arrive to Hell, you get an accordion.

According to the Race Chair, when you arrive in Hanalei without your trash, you catch Hell!!!

Synthia/Eyrie

BobJ
04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I like to keep this stuff simple.

My "face-value" reading of the Rules and Conditions is that 1) we need storage facilities aboard (and use them) and 2) we need to contain recyclables separate from non-recyclables.

I'm pretty sure Synthia told me that two garbage bags would comply with the storage requirement. That's what I used in '06 so the only thing I'll do different is tie them in the back of the cockpit so they can't get washed overboard.

On the second part, could we have a clarification from the R/C as to what will be considered recyclables?

I think that's all we need to know. Please tell me if it's fancier than that.

blighbaum
04-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I respectfully suggest that the Committee consider modifying the rule to permit racers to dump at sea empty metal cans and empty glass bottles that will promptly sink. I believe this would be both legal and ethical. It would be very helpful to folks on little boats like mine.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

haulback
04-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Quote form Alchera
<<<<<<Ok, so I found a web page that lists what can be recycled in Kauai:

#1 and #2 Plastics (plastic bottles)
Aluminum cans (no tin cans)
Cardboard
Glass
Junk Mail (brochures, maps, magazines, etc.)
Newspapers

Containers must be rinsed and have their caps/lids removed. (I hope salt water is OK..) Notice that tin cans are not allowed. So those empty Dinty Moore cans are not recycleable, they go in with the normal trash. >>>>>>>>end quote

So, how many bags, sacks, buckets and containers are we each going to need to sort all this crap out into???? Recycleables are just trash if not sorted, right????

I count 6 different categories above (not to mention bags of 'regular' garbage) I cannot see the RC agreeing, after we hand over our individual collections to them, to sort through big bags of wet, smelly mixed rubbish left stewing for two weeks in an unventilated cockpit locker. But I guess they may have to do this anyway to check off what we have in THE BAG and co-collate with list they made of what we left with.......

Glad I am in the race and not helping out in Hanalei this year

Jim/Haulback

Alchera
04-08-2008, 09:18 AM
So, how many bags, sacks, buckets and containers are we each going to need to sort all this crap out into???? Recycleables are just trash if not sorted, right????

Actually, most recycling centers nowdays do the sorting for you, you just bring them your recycleables all mixed together and they do the work. So no, you don't need a different bag for each kind! At least that's the assumption I'm going on, and that's all that the RC is requiring.

- Mark

sleddog
04-22-2008, 06:17 AM
With a lull in the forum, time for a quick reminisce. Back in the “old” days, we would save paper trash and celebrate mid-ocean with a “Fire Boat.” A Fire Boat was a cardboard box filled with the paper and cardboard, a dash of flammable fluid, and set aflame. The fire boat was gently dipped in the stern wake, usually after sunset, where it made a spectacular sight as it disappeared astern. Sometimes, in benign conditions, a Fire Boat could be seen for a mile or more on the empty ocean.

We never thought of a Fire Boat as a tactical weapon, as such practices went out of style with 16 pounders, boarding parties, brass monkeys, and the Battle of Trafalgar. But in April of 1986 we were racing SIDEWINDER out of Newport, RI, in the Admiral's Cup trials. For the distance race, the course criss-crossed Long Island Sound, returning to Newport 48 hours later

Being an IOR lead dog, under spinnaker SIDEWINDER dug quite a wake as we overtook the smaller One Tonners who had started an hour ahead. As the sun set the first night, the fleet of One Tonners recognized an opportunity when they saw it, and jumped on our wake as we passed to get a free “tow.”

As darkness closed in, we realized we now had 7-8 smaller boats close astern, all in a row (“train”), all going the same speed as ourselves, due to the towing effect of riding downhill on the stern wake of a bigger (and faster) boat. Our hopes of representing the USA at the Admiral's Cup in England were rapidly diminishing.
We tried everything to shake our tow-ees, including rapid course changes, and temporarily turning out our sternlight. But the competition was skilled in hanging on in this situation, and for miles we couldn't shake them.

Then someone remembered a Fire Boat. It only took a word to crewmember Dave (a professional garbage man) for him to spring into action. Dave disappeared below and five minutes later emerged with a proper Fire Boat. He climbed onto SIDEWINDER's reverse transom and lit it off. When the flames got going, Dave put the Fire Boat in our wake.

The “train” of boats towing in our wake could see the mysterious flames arising directly in their path and quickly altered course, both to windward and leeward, thereby breaking the “train.” No damage was done, but all lost attachment to their “tow,” and we took off towards the next mark off New Haven unimpeded, eventually won the race, and went to England.

haulback
04-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Good story.

Made me start a chain of thought ...... that this year our paper and cardboard will follow a very similar course, I assume. here is my best guess....

Taken to recycle post on Kauai, probably driven there in a car (gasoline)maybe a 'special' trip. Then by truck (diesel) to someplace to be loaded (front-end loader or stacker) then barged (tugboat) to another island and unloaded again (another stacker - diesel) and put in a storage yard for a while. Then moved again, probably a few times (stacker and truck to a container crane - possibly electric - how is that generated on the islands) onto a ship (diesel and bunker fuel) to follow our wake back to the mainland. Not sure how many more unloads/loads/road miles it will have before being chewed up and finally recycled on the mainland.

So it will be belching smoke and soot into the night sky while following our wake (figuratively) back to where we came from!!! Very Cool!!!!

And just think of all the jobs it helps support in the oil patch!!

Apart from that...Haulback in on the hard for a few weeks race-prep. Sanding off old bottom paint -which has given me over 4 years and probably about 40,000 miles of protection - Like saying goodbye to an old friend - but time for a new bottom.

Jim/Haulback