PDA

View Full Version : The crate to Hanalei

Mewes
01-06-2014, 01:09 PM
The fleet used to ship stuff (delivery sails, outboards, dinghies and so forth.

One skipper took charge, everyone built the crate followed by pizza. It was shipped to someone ho had rented a house. A truck brought it there.

Something to think about...

Lucie

DaveH
01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I think I can help here.
The company I work for builds [amongst other things], trade show exhibits.
Because of this we usually have a few "previously enjoyed" crates that are surplus at any given time.
Conveniently enough, we are located in Alameda.

For 2012 I dug one out and had it dropped at Marina Village one afternoon about a week before the start.
Mostly because that is where the majority of the out-of-town starters wound up.
Everyone loaded it there and we then had my shop truck pick it up and take it to the freight forwarder the next day.
If I recall correctly, everyone split the transport costs (ask Adrian, but I think 4 or 5 people used this).

More than happy to offer the same deal this year... would need to start figuring how many people need what kind of space at some point before the end of March (so I can keep my eyes open for an appropriately sized unit).

best,
DAVE

brianb
01-06-2014, 07:31 PM
I think I can help here.
The company I work for builds [amongst other things], trade show exhibits.
Because of this we usually have a few "previously enjoyed" crates that are surplus at any given time.
Conveniently enough, we are located in Alameda.

For 2012 I dug one out and had it dropped at Marina Village one afternoon about a week before the start.
Mostly because that is where the majority of the out-of-town starters wound up.
Everyone loaded it there and we then had my shop truck pick it up and take it to the freight forwarder the next day.
If I recall correctly, everyone split the transport costs (ask Adrian, but I think 4 or 5 people used this).

More than happy to offer the same deal this year... would need to start figuring how many people need what kind of space at some point before the end of March (so I can keep my eyes open for an appropriately sized unit).

best,
DAVE

Hi Dave,

I was one of the users of that crate. Thanks for helping out with that. This sounds like a great solution, I am sure the entrants will want to take advantage of this.

Brian

DaveH
01-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi Brian,

Happy to help...
as one of the entrants, I'll need some variation of this myself in any event.

We can use this thread for people to deposit space needs, and summarize at appropriate intervals...

DAVE

sdpaine@cox.net
01-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Thank you. I am certain I will. Take advantage of your kindness. More as I know it.

cafemontaigne
02-19-2014, 04:33 PM
In case you're interested, here is the contact info for the people we used last time:

Hawaiian Express
Kim Karkov

kkarkov@hawaiianexpressinc.com

Kimberly Karkov
510-783-6100 (main)
510-782-5794 (FAX)
510-751-1006 (desk)

www.hawaiianexpressinc.com

/Adrian

Mewes
02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks, all.

Dave, you get the specs for what we want shipped and you find a crate(s) to handle it, all built?

Hawaii Express has done this for years, very reliable.

Lucie

DaveH
02-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Hi Lucie -
That's the plan from my end re the crates...
I can reach out to Hawaiian Express as well, if that makes the most sense.
I'll call Kimberly and at least get rates and sizes sorted, since that will likely dictate the optimum crate size(s).

DH

sdpaine@cox.net
03-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I am hoping to put a Redcrest in the crate. It is a bag about the size of a big duffle bag.
Thanks

brianb
03-04-2014, 09:18 PM
FYI-

I spoke with members of the Naiwiliwili YC. They are recommending that the crate be built to fit in pickup truck, maybe even a slightly smaller pickup. Also that the short dimension be the side that a fork lift can access for ease of moving over to Hanalei.

DaveH
03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
OK -
putting a couple of bits together.
If the crate needs to sit between the wheel wells of a small pickup, it should have a foot print no wider than 40" and no longer than 60". That should be safe for even the smallest wheelbase and shortest bed pickup.
4 feet for forks and they can lift from either side.
there are no real restrictions on height from HI Express, but it cant be TOO high for the pickup driver.
call it 40" to be safe?

for the sake of argument, I had HI express price it as if we are shipping a 40"x60"x40"[h] crate weighing 300lbs.
for that we are looking at just short of $585, delivered to Lihue.
Note that the cost driver is the cube weight, not the scale weight at this size.

BTW, Kim has moved over to IT support, our new contact is:
Theresa Gomez
tgomez@hawaiianexpressinc.com
Ph: (510) 751-1114
Fx: (510) 782-5794

it would be great if we can confirm the vehicle size picking this up in HI... that seems to be the choke point.

Best,
DH

Mewes
03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks, Dave.

It has been a truck scheduled in Kauai in the past. Just dropped it off into someone's yard. Perhaps Larry Conklin (the person who has the crane in Nawilliwilli) can do that.

Brian?

Lucie

WIDMAT
04-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Has this crate happened? If not I would like to add an outboard and perhaps a blowup tender.
Thanks,
Lilya

brianb
04-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Hi Lilya,
It has not happened yet.

DaveH
05-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Hi All -
a summary and an update:
at this point the space requests are:
1 Redcrest [Big Duffle]
1 outboard, possible blow up tender.
Cushions, water toys and blow up tender [mine]

I have tentatively set aside the crate pictured.
I can also find more or larger, but for now this is looking OK and will fit in a small bed PU.
is shipping dimensions are:
38"x64"x49" tall [with feet]
app. interior dimensions :
36"Dx62"Wx40"T

As I said, if there are more space needs, we can adjust crates.
Can we set last call for anticipated needs as the cruise in?

Harrier
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Harrier would like to reserve room for a small inflatable and 2 hp outboard. Est 8 cu ft. I doubt if we will be up there before the "cruise in".

DaveH
05-01-2014, 10:15 PM
noted Harrier...
I didn't mean to say we needed the contents collected by the cruise in, just so we have a date where we have an idea of the total cube we need to move.
I don't think the crate needs to be packed much before 6.25 or so.

brianb
05-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Great Idea Dave, we can add it as a topic to the Cruise in discussion.

noted Harrier...
I didn't mean to say we needed the contents collected by the cruise in, just so we have a date where we have an idea of the total cube we need to move.
I don't think the crate needs to be packed much before 6.25 or so.

Mewes
05-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Dave, what "arrive in Hanalei" date are you looking at? Lucie

DaveH
05-05-2014, 09:28 AM
it takes 10-13 workdays to get there.
if we deliver it 6/25 and the ship leaves 6/26, its possible for 7/11, more likely available for will call on 7/14 [Monday].

If needed we can adjust the arrival forward, but basically only a week at a time, meaning we send it on the 6/19 sailing.

karwas
05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Hello,

My boat has only outboard engine, and I plan to sail without it, so I am weighting a pros and cons
of having my 4hp Lehr (propane fuel) engine shipped together with other's items in the crate.
(provided that there is still some space left)

I will have use for it only while maneuvering the boat on the anchorage and then in the Nawiliwili,
so I am somehow reluctant to ship the engine just for this, but maybe you can advise me otherwise.

Thanks,
Przemek

karwas
05-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Update:

Considering all pros and cons, I have made my mind to sail WITH an outboard
mounted to a starboard pushpit. But I will still need to ship somehow all mounting
brackets for the mast. I am not sure if I will be able to lash them securely to the
trailer, or if I will need to ship them separately.

What is the latest news on the crate?

Thanks,
Przemek

DaveH
05-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Hi Prezmek -
We have a crate set aside, if it needs to "grow" it can.
I think we had settled on this weekend as the last call for crate needs.
If you have them, what are the dims of your mast brackets?

DH

WIDMAT
06-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Hi Dave,
Any idea when the crate will be sent? I still have my outboard and of course, the 2.5 gal tank to send along. I have nixed the tender. I prefer swimming...
Thanks!
Lilya

Mewes
06-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Remember that if your PHRF certificate shows your yacht rated WITH an outboard, it must be on your yacht when you finish.

Hmm. I suppose there's a number for "outboard."

WIDMAT
06-16-2014, 11:59 AM
OK, question: I spoke with the YRA about PHRF ratings and there isn't one listed for an Olson without a motor. Yet, in the past, Olson owners have shipped their outboards to Kauai...

I guess I will store the unit inside somewhere, out of sight! Thus, I do not need space in the crate.
Ciao,
Lilya

DaveH
06-24-2014, 10:37 AM
OK -
LAST CALL -
I have items from:
Al Germain - Inflatable Dinghy
Joe Balderrama - Anchor + personal Bag
Ken "The General" Roper - Dinghy + outboard

Prezmek - did you resolve about your mast cradles?
Lucie - Trophies and other committee items??

As things have worked out, it's been easiest so far for people to drop stuff at my shop in Alameda.
Crate will ship tomorrow with whatever is in it at that point.

Please contact me directly at 510-717-9271 or dherrigel@gmail.com for last minute additions.

Mewes
06-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks, my stuff is on the plane...or on fast boats...

Lucie