PDA

View Full Version : Pre race moorage

barry 1987
02-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Where are the out of area boats going to dock before the race? It would be cool if we could be close to each other. I was thinking that Marina Village would have for room for most of us. Do any of you local guys know if this would be possible?

peter00
02-23-2014, 11:19 PM
We've gone to RYC for the last number of years and enjoyed it.

Mewes
02-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Brian, in past years the Marina Village Harbormaster made a practice of hosting Hawaii-bound racers but times have changed. New owners, new Harbormaster, new practices.

I believe RYC has room for boats like yours, and there are many transpac vets there.

Alameda hosts a huge racing community, and it's proximity to chandler use and vendors may make it a preferable venue for you.

Lucie

ronnie simpson
02-26-2014, 12:03 AM
i staged both of my SHTP efforts out of Marina Village in Alameda ('10 and '12), as I also lived there for several years.

Yes, times have changed and the long-loved harbormaster Allan Weaver is no longer there and the ownership has changed, but I would still recommend "the village". Sandra in the office is great, as are Sean and Corey the assistant harbormasters. Several vets and current newbies are based there and the location to other vendors that support the race is great. Such as West Marine Rigging Alameda and Svendsens. The facilities at Marina Village, including docks, restrooms, parking, deli, security, etc are all top notch.

barry 1987
02-27-2014, 07:55 PM
I talked with Sandra about getting moorage for a group of us. She is more than willing to help. What she would like is to have the owners let her know in May that they are coming and the boat size.
I should be there by the end of May. Look for a red hull Capri 30. (FASTLANE)
Barry

peter00
04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
I have just been in contact with the harbor master at RYC and altho we stayed there in '10 and '12 there is no room for visiting boats this year as they are hosting the PacCup Village with 30 visiting boats. So I guess it will be Marina Village in Alameda for Scaramouche.

Mewes
04-07-2014, 10:10 AM
So sorry, Peter.

I suspect the Village is making life difficult at RYC.

Marina Village is a TransPac sponsor this year, too.

Lucie

peter00
04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Just spoke to the Marina Village and there is no room at the inn for us there either. if anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them. cheers, Peter (Scaramouche)

BobJ
04-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Richmond Marina Bay is a large, public harbor that should have openings for larger boats like Scaramouche. It's certainly deep enough. The downsides are it is farther from Richmond's marine services, it's colder and windier than Richmond YC/Brickyard Cove (no protection from Angel Island), and it's not in a great part of town. The docks themselves are fairly secure but you'd probably want to use I-580 to get in and out of there at night vs. city streets.

I kept a boat there for 2-3 years and it was okay, with good Bay access.

If you don't get anywhere with them on the phone, I know a couple guys who could probably help.

standardhuman
04-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Can we get a tally of boat names and sizes? The Berkeley Yacht Club guest dock is booked for that week, but the Berkeley Marina typically has a good amount of open slips. I'd be happy to ask the harbor master if she can accommodate everyone and it'd be my pleasure to entertain at the yacht club.

WBChristie
04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
What about Brisbane marina? Its a little isolated but if there were a bunch of us there we could share cabs or something like that? Berkeley also sounds good...
Brian my boat is 40 oa (Elizabeth Ann)

brianb
04-23-2014, 01:55 AM
Out or area boats:

Elizabeth Ann, Westsail 32
Harrier, Finn Flyer
Jack, Capri 30
Scaramouche V, PJ50
Back Beat, Capri 25
Libra, Mini 6.5(Pogo)

Did I miss anyone ?

Brisbane is fairly well shielded from the San Bruno gap winds and has lots of dock space. At super low tides the channel approach can drop to 6' of clearance. The distance from there to the RYC or Tiburon (CYC start line) is about 2nm more than from the Oakland YC. It is located about 3 miles north of SFO on the west side of the Bay. The nearest WM is approx. a mile away, the nearest diesel / gas station is about a mile away, and restaurants etc area similar distance, not unlike Richmond. A trip to ALameda requires a bridge crossing, not great at rush hour, but otherwise OK.

If there is any interest I will check with the Harbor Master and the local YC.

pogen
04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure my marina (Grand Marina in Alameda) has slips available , especially in the 30' range. There is no nearby hotel, but it is very close to Svend's yard/chandlery, there is a boatyard (the "Boatyard at Grand Marina" ) on site, and also on site is a good sail repair loft (Marchal Sailmakers) , used gear store (Blue Pelican Marine), and a mile away is the best West Marine in the area. On site pumpout, good security, showers, laundry, cheap ice.

peter00
04-23-2014, 11:35 AM
I am totally unfamiliar with the geography of the Bay area or the various marinas so perhaps the best thing for me to do is to let the discussion percolate a bit. I too would like to be in the same area as other participants if possible. We will probably have a rental car for the approx. two weeks we will need moorage for. If everyone agrees on a particular spot you can count me in. I should point out that it seemed that the only reason Marina Village wouldn't have Scaramouche was because she is 50' long. Smaller boats might be fine.

JAMcDonald
04-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Alameda Marina at the dodgy end of the estuary has tons of slips available (no offense, I keep my boat there)...

pogen
04-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Nice map of SF Bay boating facilities: http://www.coastal.ca.gov/ccbn/SF_Bay_Clean_Boating_Map.pdf

peter00
04-23-2014, 04:39 PM
That map is a big help, thanks

jakmang
04-26-2014, 05:35 PM
We kept our boat in Berkeley for years. Since the recession, there are usually slips. It is an easier place to get into good wind if you need to shake down any last minute changes. I was thinking of going there, but would like to be with the group. Maitreya is the latest out-of-the-area boat at 47 feet overall.

Thanks,
-jak

karwas
05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Hello,

I will most likely keep my boat (Libra, Mini 6.50) in Westpoint Harbor in Redwood City.
I am living close by, so the short commute time between my home and the marina
is the driving factor to select this place.

Nevertheless, several days before race, I would like to move my boat somewhere closer
to the rest of SHTP participants. So I will wait for this thread to "percolate" and see where
everyone else is going to stay.

Przemek

Mewes
05-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Ah, yes.

Barry, Kevin and Doug: the smaller boats in the fleet are dry sailed out of Alameda Marina, a short distance from Marina Village, where there is usually a large congregation of Hawaii-bound vessels. There is a marina there as well as all the marine outfits you could ever need.

Bob's suggestion of MarinaBay in Richmond is a good one for Peter, I think. Daniel's Nauticat 44' Galaxsea, is there. They do have some large slips.

Brian, Berkeley is a great suggestion too.

You can look at the Inspector Assignments file Brian emailed as I believe it lists boat types.

Lucie

sdpaine@cox.net
05-06-2014, 10:05 PM
I am basing out of Corinthian YC starting on June 15th, but plan to do a lot of 'shake down' sailing to various spots around the Bay in the week or so prior to the start. I would love to sail down to a gathering of other competitors for a night or two. I was raised and learned to sail in the Bay Area and really miss it. I am looking forward to doing some of the sails I commonly did back a few decades ago.

Jonathan Gutoff
05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Our boat will be in the Delta all of June so our Richmond Yacht Club slip will be available for sublet before the start. It's 28ft at E-5 if you want to take a look. Call or email if interested. Jonathan 415-994-3500. video@norcalsailing.com

peter00
05-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Scaramouche finally found a place at Emery Cove. Seems that our length (50')was the big issue everywhere else.

Cirocko
05-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Marina Bay in Richmond has lots of empty slips, and is 20 ft deep. 50 foot slips are available

peter00
05-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Appreciate the above. I'm looking into it.

peter00
05-23-2014, 02:26 PM
I just got a call from Sandra at Marina Village and they have had a change of heart. They do have room for us so that is where we will be. At the guest dock for inspections etc.

WBChristie
05-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I will be at marina village as well.. will be leaving Brookings in the first good weather after the 1st probably

peter00
05-23-2014, 07:45 PM
We'll be standing by on whatever it was that Paul said we should be standing by on...it's the cocktail hour