PDA

View Full Version : Getting Boat Home Seminar

BobJ
04-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I've been tasked with handling the portion of the next seminar about getting your boat home from Kauai.

Going over the current entry list, I see 3-4 boats that may be shipping home (Feral, K-O-K, Warrior's Wish, Wildflower?), 13-14 that are probably sailing back (8-9 to SF), and 1-2 I don't know about. Most of those sailing back have done it before.

For planning my part of the seminar, what kind of information would be most useful to you?

blighbaum
04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Feral is being shipped back from Honolulu to San Diego via Loadaboat and PASHA. I'm not sure what in particular I need to know about re shipping the boat back, now that I have signed up with PASHA and made an appointment with the yard in Honolulu. Insurance? Sailing from Hanalei to Honolulu? Making sure the yards in Honolulu and San Diego do their things correctly? What else is there?

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

sleddog
04-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Going over the current entry list, I see 3-4 boats that may be shipping home (Feral, K-O-K, Warrior's Wish, Wildflower?), 13-14 that are probably sailing back (8-9 to SF), and 1-2 I don't know about. Most of those sailing back have done it before.

WILDFLOWER is sailing home to Santa Cruz. She's done the passage five times before, average time 18 days.

~sleddog

dogbark
04-15-2008, 07:55 AM
DOGBARK will be sailing home with crew to Seattle. Past two trips have taken 17 and 15 days. Seems kind of slow compared to sleddog, Al

Eric Thomas
04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Polar Bear will be shipping back with PASHA from Kauai to San Diego, we have a float on trailer, gin pole and some help from the local O30 sailors to pull the boat at the ramp in the harbor.

Eric

John Hayward
04-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Dream Chaser will be sailing home singlehanded via a stop in the San Juans (weather permitting) and then back to Sausalito.
John

ssnick
04-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Kali O Kalani will be spending a week or so at the islands before sailing back to the Bay Area. I'd be most interested in route planning and how to keep my wife from killing me for being gone so long.

BobJ
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
We'll certainly discuss route planning at the seminar.

You're mostly on your own with your wife's reaction, although many of us are in the "same boat" on that one! My initial suggestions are to:

1) Invite her to the upcoming seminar. My wife was more enthusiastic about the adventure after she met some of the other SSS folks and their spouses. (Synthia, Tatia and Sylvia, let's remember to allow time for introductions.)

2) Invite her to spend the week with you in Kauai. There's nothing like a luxury Hawai'ian vacation to get her "on board" with the whole enterprise! (To clarify, "luxury Hawai'ian vacation" probably doesn't include making her sleep on the Hawkfarm.)

3) Set her up to track your progress during the race and return. Before the 2006 race, I bought an extra Chart 530 and taught the family how to plot my position from the twice-daily reports on the website. This kept them involved and it has become a great memento from the race and return.

4) Take a satellite phone. While the calls are expensive, even a brief chance to hear each other's voice can help a lot.

Anyone else have suggestions?

BobJ
05-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Guessing its the same as prior seminars:

Dial up: 1 800 750 4065
code 131732#

Just a reminder: through the generosity of a few people you are able to get this information without the greater expense of being present at the Yacht Club, but we are providing this with the idea that it is based on the honor system and those that do take advantage will pay their share of the expenses. Last month I asked the folks that dialed in to contact me to arrange payment and only 2 did. I'm giving you all another chance this month, but if I don't see more honor I'm going to tell your father when he gets home, and then heads are gonna roll.

Synthia/Eyrie