PDA

View Full Version : Hull Numbers

barry 1987
03-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Does any one know the size of the race numbers that go on the hull?
Barry

Mewes
03-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Barry,

In 2010 this requirement was eliminated from the RRCs.

Its original intent was to provide easier hull identification from afar. A search of RRCs from the TransPac Archives found in the About The Race page describes the size.

Some TransPac vets have their distinctive hull numbers sometimes different from their sail numbers, still clearly visible on their bows. A signature of pride.

When an entry carries a send-receive AIS not only can your friends and family track you without Spot, DeLorme or Yellow Brick, but other ships can also watch your progress.

Ihe send/receive AIS has proven valuable to some ocean-sailing singlehanders.

Lucie Mewes

barry 1987
03-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks,
Interesting, I would think that having numbers would be good PR for the singlehanded Sailing Society. Also having them when in Hanalei Bay would makes our boats different from the cruisers and local islands boats. I like being a single hander and being a bit different so there will be numbers on my boat.

ronnie simpson
03-29-2014, 07:38 PM
If you want to be different Barry, I think roman numerals would be rad. I always love seeing photos of wild Oats XI (100 footer that wins Sydney - Hobart a lot). The XI looks way cool on the bow.

Philpott
03-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks,
Interesting, I would think that having numbers would be good PR for the singlehanded Sailing Society. Also having them when in Hanalei Bay would makes our boats different from the cruisers and local islands boats. I like being a single hander and being a bit different so there will be numbers on my boat.

The Corinthian Yacht club purchased my old Cal 20 and renamed her Jeanne. At the start of yesterday's SSS Corinthian race (which was postponed so the Cal 20s could race each other) I watched little Jeanne sail by. She looked great: new hardware, clean hull, and BIG NUMBERS on her tiny hull. The OCSC sailboats have numbers, too. Easy to identify school boats.

Mewes
04-05-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm sensing interest in putting hull numbers on entries, and it makes me happy.

I like the ease of knowing which boat one is looking at.

So, I'll go back to my list of "duplicate numbers requested" and email all you entered.

I believe these can be added to the racers page too.

Lucie

JAMcDonald
04-06-2014, 10:18 AM
The Corinthian Yacht club purchased my old Cal 20 and renamed her Jeanne. At the start of yesterday's SSS Corinthian race (which was postponed so the Cal 20s could race each other) I watched little Jeanne sail by. She looked great: new hardware, clean hull, and BIG NUMBERS on her tiny hull. The OCSC sailboats have numbers, too. Easy to identify school boats.

And avoid them! I sailed at OCSC and when things were heating up in the spinnaker class heard "Hey, why not, not my boat!".

WBChristie
04-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm sensing interest in putting hull numbers on entries, and it makes me happy.

I like the ease of knowing which boat one is looking at.

So, I'll go back to my list of "duplicate numbers requested" and email all you entered.

I believe these can be added to the racers page too.

Lucie

Um, this will be voluntary right?

Philpott
04-06-2014, 01:18 PM
And avoid them! I sailed at OCSC and when things were heating up in the spinnaker class heard "Hey, why not, not my boat!".

Perhaps hull numbers would warn container ships off.

Lightspeed
04-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Call me old fashioned but after waiting 10 years to do this race due to family and business commitments, the two traditions I admired about prior races was the hull numbers and the belt buckle....Rick/Lightspeed

sdpaine@cox.net
04-07-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm in for the numbers. I think it gives a message of serious intent to others who see us and, in small measure, to me at bit also.

BobJ
04-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Quick bit 'o history on the hull numbers. When you're SHTP race chair (or co-chair) and "get" to edit/update the RR&C's, you always get flak from the participants. 'Twas no different in 2010, so I was determined that if I added any requirements I would remove an equivalent number of them. I think it was the AIS receiver we added and the hull numbers were the self-imposed deletion.

So by all means, if you want to do hull numbers, have at it. Just be prepared for someone to gripe about it if you make it a requirement.

I reserve #18 for 2016:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/RagsInHanalei.jpg

Lightspeed
04-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks Bob, makes sense, and I do sleep much better with the AIS on. Great picture by the way. Lightspeed would like to place #39 on her bow if it is not taken and OK with the RC.

BobJ
04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
One year the R/C shook down the fleet for $100 each if you wanted an "early reservation" of your hull number. Hull numbers were quite the badge of honor back then.

(Jackie will laugh but...) I peeled them off immediately after the race. I was worried they would leave a shadow/outline on Rags' dark blue hull.

barry 1987
04-12-2014, 09:51 AM
For those who want numbers for their boat check with a sail maker for the numbers that they use on one design fleet racing. Those numbers have a low adhesive backing for easy removal.