PDA

View Full Version : Single Person Life Raft

standardhuman
03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Switlik makes the Inflatable Single Person Life Raft. Costs less than $1K and weighs about 6lbs. If it includes a repair kit with inflation pump (the oral inflation tubes may be sufficient given the small volume), it may meet the RRC. Not ideal for cold water, but perhaps an interesting idea if you prefer not to carry a traditional life raft and have a cold water exposure suit in your ditch bag anyway.

http://www.switlik.com/aviation/isplr

Harrier
03-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Once upon a time, I had a one-man life raft which had been part of an aviation parachue seat pack. (you bail out over water and, voila: flotation!). I had it modified to include a canopy. SSS SHTP ultimately caused this raft to become history (same had been used in 1986 by a lady in a red Moore 24) when it was made a raft requirement that the canopy be self-erecting. OK, so much for that. Is the Switlik raft of which you speak in compliance? Light weight is good. But so is compliance.

standardhuman
03-19-2014, 02:38 PM
I just heard back from Switlik. It does not include a repair kit, but that doesn't mean one could not be added to the package along with a pump if the RC so requires. This raft is designed to be inflated orally once the cartridges have fired, so perhaps lungs may be considered a pump for this device.

Otherwise, it would appear to meet the requirements.

4.47 A life raft designed specifically for saving life at sea, that will remain afloat and support
the skipper even when filled with water. The life raft shall include a canopy or cover which
automatically sets in place when the liferaft is inflated. The cover shall be capable of
protecting the occupant against injury from exposure and shall be a highly visible color.
[b] The life raft shall contain the following minimum equipment:
[1] Sea anchor.
[2] Repair kit with inflation pump

sdpaine@cox.net
03-20-2014, 05:58 AM
I purchased that raft last year. I approached the Committee Chair as to whether it was legal. They looked over the information online and by email approved it for the race. I am currently under the assumption that my life raft requirement is meet by this raft. It is really small!. As a matter of fact the raft resides INSIDE my ditch bag currently. It is small enough that they have a belt mount to wear if you so choose. It is also sealed in plastic so it needs to be serviced less often.
Doug Paine

Tchoupitoulas
03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
An interesting point was made at the SAS seminar I attended at SFYC. A raft is only stable when inhabited by the number of people it was designed to inhabit. If you have to get in your rented four man liferaft on a SHTP, bring lots of stuff.

standardhuman
03-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Very interesting info, both of you. Here is a little more info from Switlik regarding service intervals and costs.

...servicing intervals vary with each model. Our Soft pack is 1 year, Belt pack is 3 years and Hermetically Sealed version is 5 years from date of manufacture.

Depending on the model -servicing prices starts at $85.00 plus bags and any parts or repairs needed. If you would like to send in for service please contact us and we will give you a returned goods authorization.

They recommend only servicing through Switlik.

Harrier
03-21-2014, 11:25 AM
I still would like to know if the little Switlik raft you have cited has a "self erecting canopy". If it does, I may want one.

BobJ
03-21-2014, 12:00 PM
It sure looks like it Ken.

I'm also watching with great interest. It won't do me any good for Pacific Cup this year - they're still using OSR Cat. 1 which requires the liferafts be certified by some agency - but for the next SHTP, or a solo Tahiti race, it could be the answer.

It looks like the source of a serious case of boat butt, but a regular raft doesn't keep your butt dry either. We were just in the water flipping over an eight man raft and climbing in - 'twas a bit damp in there.

Wylieguy
03-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Having participated in several "life raft drills" I would point out that a person's "space" in a liferaft is about 2' X 2', so I wonder how much space there is in a one-person raft nowadays. I've always been of the opinion that "one size" up would make for more comfortable liferafting.

When I was young, right after WWII, we had an surplus Lister tank my father cut down that we used as a swimming pool (11" in diameter) and we also had a fighter pilot's liferaft to use as a float. I remember it as being okay for a 6 and 4 year old to sit in with our feet dangling over the tube. I hope they've improved since then.

standardhuman
03-21-2014, 02:25 PM
I still would like to know if the little Switlik raft you have cited has a "self erecting canopy". If it does, I may want one.

It certainly appears that it does and I've posed this question the Switlik. Will let you know what comes back. I've also asked about the difference between the model w/ floor (+$200) and w/o floor.

solosailor
03-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Wow….. doesn't weigh anything. I'd love to hear if it's approved too.

brianb
03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Hi,

Here are the ISAF rules for Cat 1 races. Could one of you ask Switlik about their compliance with SOLAS LSA code 1997 Chapter IV regarding quality of construction ?

Even more specific, does Switlik comply with the ISAF guidance on life raft construction and equipment: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2012AppAP109122011-%5B11750%5D.pdf ?

There are some exceptions in that doc. that could be taken for a solo adventure but largely it would seem you would want general compliance.

4.20.1 Liferaft Construction and Packed Equipment
4.20.2 Liferaft(s) shall be provided capable of carrying the whole crew when each
liferaft shall comply with either:-
MoMu1,2
a) Liferafts shall comply with SOLAS LSA code 1997 Chapter IV or later version
except that they are acceptable with a capacity of 4 persons and may be
packed in a valise. A SOLAS liferaft shall contain at least a SOLAS "A" pack or
Extract File
MoMu1,2
b) for liferafts manufactured prior to January 2003, OSR Appendix A part I (ORC),
or
MoMu1,2
c) OSR Appendix A part II (ISAF) when, unless otherwise specified by a race
organizer, the floor shall include thermal insulation, or
MoMu1,2
d) ISO 9650 Part I Type I Group A (ISO) when each liferaft shall contain at least
a Pack 2 (<24h) and-
MoMu1,2
i shall have a semi-rigid boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
ii shall be so arranged that any high-pressure hose shall not impede the
boarding process, and
MoMu1,2
iii shall have a topping-up means provided for any inflatable boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
iv when the liferaft is designed with a single ballast pocket this shall be accepted
provided the liferaft otherwise complies with ISO 9650 and meets a suitable
test of ballast pocket strength devised by the manufacturer and
MoMu1,2
v compliance with OSR 4.20.2 (d) i-iv shall be indicated on the liferaft certificate

Philpott
03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
4.20.1 Liferaft Construction and Packed Equipment
4.20.2 Liferaft(s) shall be provided capable of carrying the whole crew when each
liferaft shall comply with either:-
MoMu1,2
a) Liferafts shall comply with SOLAS LSA code 1997 Chapter IV or later version
except that they are acceptable with a capacity of 4 persons and may be
packed in a valise. A SOLAS liferaft shall contain at least a SOLAS "A" pack or
Extract File
MoMu1,2
b) for liferafts manufactured prior to January 2003, OSR Appendix A part I (ORC),
or
MoMu1,2
c) OSR Appendix A part II (ISAF) when, unless otherwise specified by a race
organizer, the floor shall include thermal insulation, or
MoMu1,2
d) ISO 9650 Part I Type I Group A (ISO) when each liferaft shall contain at least
a Pack 2 (<24h) and-
MoMu1,2
i shall have a semi-rigid boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
ii shall be so arranged that any high-pressure hose shall not impede the
boarding process, and
MoMu1,2
iii shall have a topping-up means provided for any inflatable boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
iv when the liferaft is designed with a single ballast pocket this shall be accepted
provided the liferaft otherwise complies with ISO 9650 and meets a suitable
test of ballast pocket strength devised by the manufacturer and
MoMu1,2
v compliance with OSR 4.20.2 (d) i-iv shall be indicated on the liferaft certificate

So my Coleman raft is out.

BobJ
03-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Mine too:

brianb
03-25-2014, 05:17 PM

It doesn't appear to cut it, but BobJ's raft has a MOB Pole with flag, deserving consideration.

brianb
03-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Greg Nelsen has followed up with Switlik regarding the use of this raft. In addition to his analysis, the raft is not ISAF compliant. It certainly is a light weight design. Below is his report:

-------------------- From Greg ---------------------------------------------------

Did some research on the ISPLR and didn't find all the answers I wanted so I contact Brian Kender @ Switlik, the Marine Products manager. He answered a few questions I had and stressed that they only recommend this raft for aviation use. As much as I wanted to have to product fit the needs of the racers I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons:

• Most of the stability comes from your body sitting below the water line.
• Sitting below the waterline will ensure your body heat is transferred rapidly to the surrounding water = hypothermia much quicker.
• No space for a decent size ditch bag and/or supplies = no possible extended stay in the raft if a EPIRB signal doesn't go out due to a malfunction, etc.
• No room to move around if an extended stay happens.
• The big red flag was that it's a single tube. No 2nd tube like an offshore raft, no inner safety tube (even their basic single tube coastal raft has an inner backup tube).

Cheer, Greg

standardhuman
03-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Waawaawaaaaa. Looks like I'll have to be safer...and heavier. It does have an inflatable floor option which should help insulate and perhaps make it a reasonable piece of oh-shit-kit for coastal and near coastal ops.

BobJ
03-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah, even my pirate raft has two tubes. Sheeesh!

I might still get one (with the inflatable floor) because I'm not all that concerned about racing rules. If we ever get the solo Tahiti race together there won't be any, and renting a raft won't make sense for the whole Summer.

Philpott
03-27-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm not all that concerned about racing rules. If we ever get the solo Tahiti race together there won't be any, and renting a raft won't make sense for the whole Summer.

A solo Tahiti race w no rules. That is old school.

BobJ
03-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Damn straight.

Mewes
03-27-2014, 10:03 PM
I prefer this model:

http://www.survitecgroup.com/products/lru-23p-single-seat-liferaft

Hmm. Does Sal rent 2person rafts? Because 1person swimming around alone in a 4 person raft can't be good!

brianb
03-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Waawaawaaaaa. Looks like I'll have to be safer...and heavier. It does have an inflatable floor option which should help insulate and perhaps make it a reasonable piece of oh-shit-kit for coastal and near coastal ops.

I agree, I am considering one along with my wet suit, as a coastal precautionary move.

Oceanslogic
04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm curious what sort of rafts people are going with?? What is the most cost effective (i.e. cheapest raft) you all have found that fits the requirements? Being one of the most costly items on a SHTP prep list…and given the unique situation of not being fully crewed but solo….what constitutes an appropriate liferaft for the sole purpose of a SHTP? Unless I have overlooked the fine print...the Transpac 2014 RRC makes no mention of the raft requiring both a primary tube as well as a second back up tube…It simply states "A life raft designed specifically for saving life at sea"….Any scenario of having to get into one of these is far from ideal…but I would also agree with the Mewes crew that 1 person swimming around alone in a 4 or 6 person raft doesn't make a ton of sense for our unique solo situation…Any thoughts?

Harrier
04-03-2014, 02:45 PM
I have what amounts to a 4 man British raft (they call it a 5 man). When all is said and done, I believe it is a good size, in
in that my overboard bag is quite large and heavy. Then, in the event calling for raft use, assuming time is available, I would
also want stow some other items like my bag containing money, passport, sat fone, solar charger...At that stage of the game
I'd hate to be faced with decisions abot what NOT TO THROW IN! My raft is only single tube and weighs 33 lbs. Meets all of
the SHTP requirements. I do not thing anyof us really need a massive and weighty raft like I carried on the first 2 races I did.
88lb Viking raft. Why did I have such a formidable raft? Because the race committee would not specify what was needed. And
since I was a local, and novice SHTP'er, I have to do the procurement before sailing my boat up to San Fran for the race. After
that, I used a parachute seat pack raft, as had been used by a girl in a Moore 24 in the '86 race. That got the race committee
to be a little more specific..."have a self erecting canopy"/
With the 406 EPIRB, we should be picked up in a very few days. Eddie Rickenbacker and some crew members
survived 33 days in a flimsy aircraft raft during WWII in the Pacific (A great book, BTW..."The Raft")