PDA

View Full Version : Need Spinnaker sheets and guys for Dura Mater

Philpott
03-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Has anyone upgraded recently? Interested in selling your old? Dura Mater is a Cal 2-27 and I have a light air spinnaker. Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com

BobJ
03-22-2014, 12:28 PM
You're going to run sheets and guys? One pair seems enough for a 27 footer, especially solo.

I have some - they're for a bigger boat (so not so good for light air on DM) but they have donuts on them and everything. You can straddle the pole and spike off the tack and all that - I want video.

I'll take a look in the bin.

Philpott
03-23-2014, 03:38 PM
My son, Max, gave me a go pro for Christmas, so if it's video you want, you shall have it. As for "straddle the pole and spike off the tack": I have no idea what that means, but I will google it.

Wylieguy
03-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Jackie, If Bob's spin sheets don't do the job I have some from my ex-Newport 30 for you.

Running a chute singlehanded takes lots of practice in mild/moderate conditions where there's room for mistakes. I used both sheets and afterguys on my Newport 30, but only sheets on my Santana 22. Perhaps deciding which method should be part of your practice? By the way, I think your singlehanded practice should include a 2nd person in the cockpit who would be "hands off" unless something goes awry.

Jibing the chute is something you should discuss with several experienced singlehanders. Methods vary a little and you'll need to figure out which one works best for you. Practicing going downwind with no pole is a good skill, too, and helps learn how to set up the Autohelm during the jibe.

Dousing the chute needs to be thought out, too. On the Newport I stuffed it down the foredeck hatch. On the Santana I used a J-24-style basket in the main hatch. The advantage using the main hatch method was that re-launching was pretty easy. The foredeck hatch method meant repacking the turtle and was tricky when I was alone. Most SSS races involve only 1 hoist, though.

--Pat

BobJ
03-24-2014, 08:23 AM
You should look at Pat's sheets and guys. I found one of the guys and it's 1/2" line and quite stiff. As for spiking the tack, here's a visual for you:

Philpott
03-24-2014, 12:22 PM
You should look at Pat's sheets and guys. I found one of the guys and it's 1/2" line and quite stiff. As for spiking the tack, here's a visual for you:

Oh, thanks, Bob. Yes, I would so do that. And I suppose straddling the pole has to do with employment opportunities in Reno.

BobJ
03-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Methinks clarification is needed here. That's Shauna in the photo, straddling the pole on one of the Clipper 'Round-the-World boats and getting ready to spike off the tack (to douse the spinnaker). You could do something similar on DURA MATER but you'd (hopefully) be a little closer to the deck and as written earlier, I'd want video.

As to those employment opportunities in Reno, that's either above or below my pay grade.

JohnS
03-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Jackie,

I may have a set that came with the SC27. They should be about the correct length. I never used them because they are bit on the heavy/large size. (I think they are 3/8" line.) But they are supple and have functioning shackles on the ends.

JohnS

ronnie simpson
03-29-2014, 06:43 AM
jackie,

you mentioned light air spinnaker, so some light air spin sheets would probably be really beneficial. i've seen you in west marine alameda, i would recommend talking to ryan in the rig shop and asking him for new england ropes Flight Line in a small diameter. it's purpose made to be a light air sheet. it's got a high tech core and a poly pro cover that will float, which helps in light air. that cordage is also really cheap and Ryan will help out SHTP and SSS members. throwing spin sheets off a bigger boat on a light air kite just because they're free may end up being a really frustrating experience.

and doing sheets and guys would not be good. I just have sheets on my cal 2-27, and i am going to rig some twings. the oakland estuary with it's light air and flat water is a good place to learn solo spinnaker flying.