PDA

View Full Version : Singlehanded Farallones

AlanH
04-28-2008, 11:05 AM
What a great day on the water!

On a personal note, GREAT RACE Paul on "Tenacity"....fifty four miles, we swapped positions about five times during the race, and ya got me by twenty seconds at the finish. Good job, and a great day!

I chased Jim on Cookie Jar all the way back from islands and could NOT make up time on him. sheesh. When I looked over and saw Cookie Jar bobbing around on the south side of channel while several of us steamed by on the north side, I knew Jim was hatin' it!

Many thanks to everyone on the Race Deck!

BobJ
04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I was OCS (stern first) and spent 20-30 minutes crawling my way back to restart while the rest of the fleet sailed out. I thought about bagging it right there but saw Jam Session and decided to sail out with him.

Passing the Lightbucket I was sailing below Alan and then suddenly went head to wind. The AP ram had literally broken in half (at the seal). That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I dropped in the spare but just wasn't feeling like hangin' in there, so I had a nice sail back in.

tiger beetle
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Tiger Beetle was out on the Gulf of the Farallones Saturday, but not racing. Instead I planned to use the weekend to enjoy the good weather, look for whales, continue tuning the new mast, and see if I could make the new Furuno radar / chart plotter display work.

I had a great sail up to Chimney Rock (Drakes Bay) only to discover it was a) early (noon), and b) getting windier (27-28 knots across the anchorage). So I spun around and re-crossed the Gulf of the Farallones headed for Half Moon Bay, arriving there around 5:30 in the afternoon.

I came across a group of 4 gray whales headed north: two adults, one mid-size, and a calf. Very cool.

The mast looks good, I tightened up the D2, D3, and cap shrouds again. The dyform rigging seems to be setting and hats off to Buzz Ballenger for building a good rig.

It took four hours of reading Furuno manuals to figure out how to get the display back into 'Install Wizard Mode', then turned the image around 180 degrees such that what was in front of the boat appeared on the top of the display. There must be something about engineers that write manuals - lots of detail but totally lacking in constructs assembling the whole picture.

Had a nice visit at Pillar Point Saturday evening, weather was perfect - dry and warm and no fog.

Sunday morning I wrestled with Furuno manuals for another hour to tell the old Furuno display that radar antenna was now attached to the new display, and finally the two units can each control the radar. The old monochrome display goes up to the cockpit where the radar will be visible and controllable from behind the wheel. The new display stays put belowdecks to remain dry and visible from the nav station.

- rob

AlanH
04-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I was OCS (stern first) and spent 20-30 minutes crawling my way back to restart while the rest of the fleet sailed out. I thought about bagging it right there but saw Jam Session and decided to sail out with him.

Passing the Lightbucket I was sailing below Alan and then suddenly went head to wind. The AP ram had literally broken in half (at the seal). That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I dropped in the spare but just wasn't feeling like hangin' in there, so I had a nice sail back in.

I wondered what happened. I was watching you set up your blue comfy chair on the windward side and congratulating myself for actually being in your vicinity that far into the race and then...'allo? Where's Bob?

Busted a rod? I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before.

BobJ
04-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Great photos from Peter Lyons (http://lyonsimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/4822868_i7jEh#286905191_b4CC8)