PDA

View Full Version : Room on a boat from July 16 to July 20?

SailingNat
06-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Hi

Elise needs to be readied to be shipped by July 16th and I will fly out on July 20 - wondering if anyone on the bigger boats that are sailing back a tad later have a room? I can sleep on deck too if need be...

I will ask for a camping permit for the night of July 19 as there is a campground near the Bay but only for weekends. If I get that, then night of July 19th will be taken care of.

Lightspeed
06-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Nat. Lightspeed is all yours if you want. I have rented a house for the family and would feel better if someone was on her at night while anchored. She comes with shower privileges at our house...:) R

brianb
06-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Nat,

There is a nice shower under the tree area where we will meet. My routine was to swim ashore with a change of clothes in a waterproof bag. Carry a bit of soap, and shower after the swim. Than walk into town in the morning rain for a touch of coffee. Great exercise. Ronnie bought a used surf board off the beach and paddled it ashore every morning. Be sure to place a very distinctive light on the boom of the boat you are staying on so when you swim out after dinner you don't swim past your floating room, it isn't much fun if you miss the boat. Also be sure the waterproof bag develops no holes, and keep the electronics in an additional dry bag, else you end up with a dead cell phone and camera. By the way, tiger sharks do most of their feeding at dawn and dusk.

Philpott
06-05-2014, 10:57 PM
that bit about the tiger sharks is kinda mean. poor brave nathalie, little sharkies nibbling on her toes.

Gamayun
06-06-2014, 10:12 AM
I'll be helping the race committee and was planning on camping, but this sounds really cool, tiger sharks and all. Does anyone else need someone to watch their boat in Hanalei...?

Natalie, in 2012 I found another spot farther up the road that is on private land and quite a few tent inhabitants. It's a bit of a hippie commune, so it comes complete with interesting characters, as well. Just FYI in case you're game to try it out with me.

Carliane

Philpott
06-06-2014, 04:04 PM
haiku for you
two little mermaids
kicking fast to reach lightspeed
twenty toes yum yum

Elise101
06-06-2014, 05:05 PM
haiku for you
two little mermaids
kicking fast to reach lightspeed
twenty toes yum yum

Are you guys serious about the sharks?????

Elise101
06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I'll be helping the race committee and was planning on camping, but this sounds really cool, tiger sharks and all. Does anyone else need someone to watch their boat in Hanalei...?

Natalie, in 2012 I found another spot farther up the road that is on private land and quite a few tent inhabitants. It's a bit of a hippie commune, so it comes complete with interesting characters, as well. Just FYI in case you're game to try it out with me.

Carliane

Oh thanks! it looks like the boat might be available for more than one person.

Elise101
06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
thanks. Max is loaning me his inflatable kayak, so I have a 'tender'

Elise101
06-06-2014, 05:07 PM
thanks a lot Rick!

Mewes
06-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Tiger sharks prefer legs, it seems...and prefer Maui and the Big Island, according to this reporting site: http://www.hawaiisharks.com/incidents.html

The big teak-covered Victorian home next to the park is owned by acquaintances. It should be a good beach to stow tenders.

Lucie

Gamayun
06-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Tiger sharks prefer legs, it seems...and prefer Maui and the Big Island, according to this reporting site: http://www.hawaiisharks.com/incidents.html

This is actually quite reassuring info. What it tells me is that the few times there's a bite, it's generally pretty minor. Bull sharks and white sharks have such a strong bite force that when they spit you out, the injury is often fatal.

Gamayun
06-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Oh thanks! it looks like the boat might be available for more than one person.

Great. I'm planning to camp, too, so if you're still interested in doing that, but would prefer to not bring a tent, just let me know. My tent is plenty big for two.

Have a great race to Hanalei!

ronnie simpson
06-08-2014, 07:07 PM
From what I understand, there are tiger sharks that swim into Hanalei, but I have heard from many locals that no one has ever been bitten in Hanalei Bay, especially in the anchorage.

solosailor
06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Are you guys serious about the sharks?????Yes. Have swam from shore and boat to boat many times. It's a bit disconcerting to swim ashore and there are lifeguards putting up large signs warning of shark sighted in the bay. Two hammerheads as I recall. It's also much more scary when the bay has sand kicked up and limited visibility underwater.