PDA

View Full Version : Racers' logs

06-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Will messages from the racers be posted in the "news" section of the SHTP website?

The Yellowbrick tracking is great, but the best part of following the race has always been reading the personal notes that many of the racers share.

Maybe it's just too early in the race yet? Or maybe I haven't been looking in the right place?

Thanks for any pointers,
www, formerly Horizon, now in Florida and missing the SSS

06-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I see some notes were just added in the "news" link -- thanks!

Philpott
06-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Will messages from the racers be posted in the "news" section of the SHTP website?

We'll post everything we get.

brianb
06-29-2014, 01:08 PM
We'll post everything we get.

Everything ? Galaxsea said some of his posts might not be family friendly :)

solosailor
06-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Hope everyone has a great race but: Go the Harrier….. !!

Robert Stodieck
06-29-2014, 07:10 PM
What happened to Lilya Vorobey on Widmat?

Dazzler
06-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Our best to all the racers. We enjoyed seeing the boats and watching the start at CYC; my thoughts today are out there with the fleet. We wish all well and a good race, but must root for Bandicoot in his third attempt. But, you got to love it that per YB, The General is currently in first place overall.

Brian: Great job with the website. Is there a way to time stamp the news entries? They seem to be in some odd order.

Tom
Dazzler

Philpott
06-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Brian: Great job with the website. Is there a way to time stamp the news entries? They seem to be in some odd order. Tom Dazzler

Hi, Tom: that odd order business? My fault. Brian, in an egalitarian moment of weakness, decided that I should be allowed to help post. Indeed, he offered access to everyone in the fleet, too. So what you will get is a hodge podge of postings in no particular order (until David Nabors takes time out of his own professional, full time job, to organize the mess we make). Ah, the SSS. Bring what ya got. I'll bet the Pac Cup is much more organized. I'll bet the Pac Cup has professionals who don't need to watch Word Press tutorials late into the night in order to learn how to post photos. I know that the photographers of the Pac Cup weren't bouncing around like Carliane Johnson and me in Dave Morris' Zodiac with him yelling, "Shoot, girls! Shoot!" and "There's Al! Get another one of him!" and "There's Tortuga! Shoot him just because he's here!" and "Oh, here's another start! Shoot! Shoot!" Nope. Those people in the Pac Cup will have a very organized site and the photographs will be as organized as the Dewey decimal system. And the photographs will be of a very high quality, produced by very impressive, fine professionals. Photos on our site are free to everybody with the occasional reminder to give credit to the photographer. Yup. That's the SSS. (Jeesh! ask a reasonable question and wadya get?!)

pogen
06-29-2014, 09:24 PM
In ze Pac Cup, ze Trains run on Time!

<edit> and don't blame Brian for my questionable decisions

Mewes
06-29-2014, 10:46 PM
FWIW, The Pacific Cup is an all volunteer show. That cool website? A most exuberent early retiree with an inquisitive mind and a killer sense of humor. A more glossy year this year, yes, but a lot of early effort n sponsorship. And a commodore with a different drive than in past years. It's a bigger race. It has more of everything. But no tree. No buckle.

BobJ
06-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Yes - respectfully (and assuming it was mostly tongue-in-cheek) -full stop on any SHTP vs. PacCup stuff. There has been lots of crossover between the two races and that will continue, both with skippers and with volunteers. For example Sylvia Seaberg was a huge help on the SHTP R/C in 2008 and is PacCup's chief inspector this time. Not to mention Jim and Mary.

I've talked to two PacCup skippers who plan to race the SHTP next time (plus me hopefully). An SSS guy is loaning me his new satphone because I discovered the data port on mine is inop (and he had to drop out of PacCup at the last minute). The spirit is great with (and between) both races.

I was having engine problems on Saturday or I would have been at the start. I'm receiving every report. Just yesterday two "media reps" stopped by the boat. One of my comments to them was "those are my people" (referring to the SHTP fleet). So you get the idea.

Again, I assume these comments are mostly tongue-in-cheek and so in that vein . . . did you know that Pacific Cup has a concierge service? (Not tongue-in-cheek - they really DO!) It's a fleet of new loaner BMW's and there's a concierge desk at RYC. I used it Saturday afternoon to get a ride back to KKMI to get my car. I wanted a ride in the blue coupe but got the sedate white sedan instead. I think I'll complain to the management. Oh, and PacCup has an app - I'll race the SHTP next time if you get an app.

Philpott
06-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Pacific Cup has a concierge service? It's a fleet of new loaner BMW's and there's a concierge desk at RYC. Oh, and PacCup has an app - I'll race the SHTP next time if you get an app.
Bob, you sure know how to undermine your own argument. You sound like a Texas high school football coach explaining how Bubba's daddy and uncles got those new F250 trucks. And of course the SSS has its own concierge service: how do you think Galaxsea and Mouton Noir got their bows pushed so they were headed out of the marina? Dave Morris' Calypso "bumped" them out, that's how! Let's see a 525I do that.

pogen
06-30-2014, 10:24 AM
In this year's race are they still doing the wire-the-transmission-shut thing? I looked in the RRC/SIs but didn't see that. But I might have missed it.

BobJ
06-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Bob, you sure know how to undermine your own argument. You sound like a Texas high school football coach explaining how Bubba's daddy and uncles got those new F250 trucks. And of course the SSS has its own concierge service: how do you think Galaxsea and Mouton Noir got their bows pushed so they were headed out of the marina? Dave Morris' Calypso "bumped" them out, that's how! Let's see a 525I do that.

Yep, been undermining myself for years. (When I've absolutely hit bottom, I keep digging.) Now how about that SHTP app? (No, the YB one doesn't count.)

pogen
06-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Yep, been undermining myself for years. (When I've absolutely hit bottom, I keep digging.) Now how about that SHTP app? (No, the YB one doesn't count.)

I already had a complex about their app. App envy, if you will. Maybe we need to sell some crazy-priced party tickets to subsidize the creation of the app.

Also, what would an SHTP app do? Somehow force you to get only 3 hours of sleep per day and provide .mp3 playback of auditory hallucinations so you can share the racers' experience?

BobJ
06-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Now there you go about the party tickets . . . ice sculptured swans with a bit of addleberry sherbet in them to cleanse your palate between courses. You think that stuff is FREE?

Regarding that app, I think you're onto something - skippers could start playing it a few days ahead of the start to get into the flow of life aboard.

(I see Jackie's new thread. David, can you move this nonsense over there?)

Lanikai
06-30-2014, 01:02 PM
And here I thought the Pac Cup was just a race where some confused SSS skippers think they're doing the SHTP but the Nevada Department of Public Health buses a bunch of their mentally unstable transients to RYC at the last minute and they stow away aboard the fancy race boats as "yacht crew".