PDA

View Full Version : All over but the notes!

Mewes
07-20-2014, 11:51 PM
The party's over...the trophies are packed into yachts headed home, provisions are stowed, weather gribs are being analysed right and left.

As Race Chairs, we have two duties left: Set the date for the next race and reserve the condo.

We've picked Saturday, June 25, 2016. HUGE EBB. Start at 1000. And the party will be Saturday, July 16, 2016. So we're reserving the Condo for Ten Days beginning Day 9 of the Race, July 9.

I have a few ideas of things that worked and things that to change.

SSS Seminar Series year round, every year. Repeats of some topics regularly.
Cassette ERudders only.
Yellow Brick. Is it worth the $5,700 cost?
Require SSB. A significant part of the race communication.
Seriously throw out the Minimum Equipment Requirement section. Racers from past years agree on what to add. SSS should set the rules, not any other group.
One honcho. One decision-maker. No "co's."

What do you say?

pogen
07-21-2014, 11:17 AM
No
No
Yes
No
No
Yes

brianb
07-22-2014, 09:00 AM
No
No
Yes
No
No
Yes

Like David said.

Philpott
07-22-2014, 09:26 AM
No
No
Yes
No
No
Yes What they said

hodgmo
07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I would add for future planning: cooperation with the Nawiliwili Yacht Club. They hosted many of us there on Sunday and it was a very nice evening. The commodore, Jim Saylor, asked that their club be considered as a site for the 2016 awards banquet.

Gamayun
07-23-2014, 02:08 AM
I would add for future planning: cooperation with the Nawiliwili Yacht Club. They hosted many of us there on Sunday and it was a very nice evening. The commodore, Jim Saylor, asked that their club be considered as a site for the 2016 awards banquet.

What he said!

sdpaine@cox.net
07-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Yes, and the video was great for those of us who do did not have the wisdom to move to the Bay Area
No, think Black Feather. The smaller boats do fine with over the transom replacements. My Capri 25 has a modified J24 rudder that works well
Yes, Yes ,Yes - The ONLY way people knew I was still out there and functional was though the brick when my communications died. In fact it
might be worth it to pay for some sort of 2 way communication as a back up for all.
No - Small boats do not have the power to drive an SSB and the cost is quite hefty
No - Modify as makes sense, but keep them
Yes - Multiple decisions at multiple times by multiple well intentioned people caused some unnecessary problems this year.

I cannot even begin to thank those who worked to support the racers enough. Their concern, creative thought, warmth, and time made this an adventure I will always recall with great gratitude and fondness. Thank you all.

brianb
07-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Yes, Yes ,Yes - The ONLY way people knew I was still out there and functional was though the brick when my communications died. In fact it
might be worth it to pay for some sort of 2 way communication as a back up for all.
No - Small boats do not have the power to drive an SSB and the cost is quite hefty
No - Modify as makes sense, but keep them
Yes - Multiple decisions at multiple times by multiple well intentioned people caused some unnecessary problems this year.

I cannot even begin to thank those who worked to support the racers enough. Their concern, creative thought, warmth, and time made this an adventure I will always recall with great gratitude and fondness. Thank you all.

Hi Doug, Actually we spoke to YB about transmitting a message to you to proceed to Niwiliwili direct via the YB-3 model. It was capable of displaying short messages. They were concerned you would not see it as they had no way to trigger an audible alarm, hence we opted to have USCG attempt comm. via VHF. The units also had a large collection of canned messages that could be sent from the boat. It could have been useful in your case but we did nt pay for that service so did nt make a point of the availability. It was re assuring to see you pushing the DEADMAN button fairly frequently. I imagined it was part of an exercise routine you had going on Jack.

Brian

DaveH
07-24-2014, 12:04 PM
My .02 with elaboration

meh - maybe a leadin of more basic how to rig/modify and sail your boat single handed in the off years? simply repeating the curriculum seems somewhat redundant.
No - lest my remarks and experience be misinterpreted, to be clear: My recent experience proved to me that a pintle and gudgeon system is not workable nor safe to mount for my boat/transom/e-rudder blade size & leverage in any kind of sea state. Mileage may well vary if any of these factors are altered. Or if you are willing/able to wait long enough for a calm period. Is it my opinion that a cassette is a more workable all around solution? Emphatically yes, and that will be the next evolution for me. Would I recommend a dinghy style pintle and gudgeon system if asked? Emphatically not. But that's only my opinion, in no way do I feel it should be a blanket mandate or that a poorly engineered cassette would be necessarily more effective [NB-admittedly anecdotal reports from Tiburon's pacup rudder failure indicate that the emergency cassette system ripped it's mounts off] or that it's the only solution. The real question that should be answered by the inspector/committee is: is the E-rudder design workable and deploy-able in the anticipated conditions. Soap box over.
Yes - and would second the thoughts about using it as a 2 way communication backup.
No - honestly on the fence about SSB, and will probably bite the project off with more time and funds. I think it is a valuable communication link, and to some degree a safety issue. That said, IMHO, it is at this point a nice to have redundancy [from the safety perspective], and an unnecessary expense and electrical burden for the smaller boats.
No - keep them. Why did the Coasties tow me in instead of yanking me off the boat? In no small part because I was in their words "the best prepared customer they had in 23 years of service". Why was that? because the MER's met or exceeded their expectations.
Yes- while I suspect this is always an advanced cat herding exercise, a clear designation of who has the con is better.

Lastly, I think all who were there on Sunday would agree with Steve that deepening the connection to Nawiliwili YC is a excellent idea.

DH
SV Domino

Srwsails
07-24-2014, 12:40 PM
As a ground person...YES WITHOUT HESITATION TO YELLOW BRICK.
Tightening connect to Nawilliwilli Yacht Club...For Sure. Our Sunday evening with them was wonderful. I think their support could be invaluable in many ways. Jim Saylor was incredible in helping folks guide in the Pogo boat. However if the awards dinner (as was bantered about) is to be there then some careful logistics need attending to since most folks stay down in Hanalei area.
There should be just ONE Race Committee Chair, with veto power, who knows how to appropriately delegate, with really good minions that have expertise in specific organizational and sailing skills.
Will the (collective) Race Committee be sending something to Nawilliwilli to thank them for their BBQ on Sunday night? Maybe an SSS and SHTP bergie? Tee shirt? Hat? Vest? PLEASE someone make sure they get recognized. Susan (Mouton Noir)

Critter
07-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Year-round seminars: No. We’re a club of volunteers, with a smallish group of repeat volunteers at that. Don’t want to risk burnout.
Cassette E-rudders only: No. Don’t stifle innovation. As Dave says, as long as you can show that it’ll work and is deployable, fine. For example, a pintle-and-gudgeon rudder with a swing-up blade should be relatively easy to deploy. Look at Paul Kamen's soft-blade design too.
YB: I’m on the fence. Adds interest and (potentially) safety, but that’s a big hunk of money.
SSB: on the fence.
MER: The NCORC equipment rules were never intended to apply to Hawaii races. I think they’re a really good document (disclosure: I was on the committee that wrote them:)), so they’re a good place to start. Weed out what you don’t like. SSS knows what’s best for SSS.
One honcho: 2014 was unusual with two changes of leadership that I’m aware of. It’s great if one person can carry the ball the whole way, but again: volunteers. Sometimes real life gets in the way.
- Max

Mewes
07-24-2014, 05:15 PM
The Nawiliwili Yacht Club
www.nawiliwiliyachtclub.org/
Nawiliwili Yacht Club, P.O. Box 3661, Lihue, HI 96766.

Do thank them!

Srwsails
07-24-2014, 05:23 PM
The Nawiliwili Yacht Club
www.nawiliwiliyachtclub.org/
Nawiliwili Yacht Club, P.O. Box 3661, Lihue, HI 96766.

Do thank them!

Lucy, thank you for the address. I'll send them a personal TY, but will there be a more formal TY with some SHTP swag for them?

Thanks, Susan (mouton Noir)

Mewes
07-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Minimum Equipment. What makes sense for singlehanding to Hawaii?

4.11. Waterproof handheld with DCS..
4.18 fixed depth sounder
4.22 storm window coverings
4.35 means to communicate with the race committee (with yellow brick?)
4.52 storm sails

Just a few things to think about.

standardhuman
07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
On YB: Consider working with Delorme. Their new Explorer unit I used on the race enabled very easy 2-way messaging, canned messages, SOS, mapping functions, and made for a very nice backup GPS. For the cost of the YB, the competitors could buy their own Delorme unit to keep. One area YB definitely has the lead, however, is the online race-centric interface, even though their finishing times page was wacky. Perhaps there is another online race-oriented solution out there that would work with pings from the Delorme units. I'll look into it.

SSB: Definitely one of the highlights for me was listening in on the check-ins every morning and evening. Even without Mr. Jeffersons legendary poetry, it was great. Big thanks to Frolic for stepping up as net commander. I will be sure to have SSB if I do the race again. That said, it's likely I would not have been able to do the race this year had it been required.

RC: One honcho and their cabinet.

Awards ceremony: Nawiliwili YC for the win. I'm not sure Tahiti Nui should be considered in the future. The vegetarians in the group spent $60 for some arugula and rice. The carnivores didn't sound much happier. The mai tais were $10. I didn't see any resemblance to the menu we received on the Finish Line Festivities handout.

NYC are really good people, beautiful airy venue, and the sailors should be in their element (near a YC honor bar). Half the fleet might already have their boats there again. I was there Sunday and again last night for the club racing. These guys know how to do a lot with a little and have a great time doing so (anyone else think that sounds fitting for the SSS?), plus the whole club seems very excited to host us in 2016. They would take care of us. I'd be happy to present them with my own SSS burgee if no package is available from HQ.

Brian

peter00
07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I got a tremendous amount of pleasure from the SSB net, whether it should be required is a whole nother question. I bought mine used for $800. and it seems to work fine but I have tons of power on Scaramouche. There is some rule of life that rules, like stoplights, are always added never removed. I would favour not making it a rule but let newcomers know how much pleasure it affords.
One thing I think should be considered is to have some system in play whereby the term `seaworthy` is taken seriously. If someone wants to enter the race in a boat that is clearly designed as a day sailor they should be warned at the get go that their boat will under go a rigorous inspection to ensure that it exceeds its original design parameters. Capri 25`s should clearly not be sailing to Hawaii. Doug prepared his boat very very well and made basic structural improvements and still had a lot of trouble. Sorry to pick on Capris but they are obviously a lightly built daysailor or perhaps weekender. I can`t help worrying that the whole event will be compromised if someone dies because of an inappropriate boat. Obviously the inspection procedure is not adequate to catch this sort of thing. `there are not many things that can float and hold a man that some fool has not crossed an ocean in`
It is a question of mature judgement and knowledge but most participants would probably agree that Brian`s Dana 24 is a perfectly good boat for the race and that Kevin`s Capri 25 was not suitable for the race. I have no problem with Kevin sailing to Hawaii in his boat but the whole race would be compromised if he did it under the auspicious of the SSS and died or needed rescue. I`m talking about the basic boat not being suitable for ocean conditions, ie cockpit size, cockpit drains, water tight integrity, rig, etc.
I`m sure this subject has been tossed around endlessly but unfortunately I`m not in the club and I think it is the elephant in the room. I would be interested to hear what Doug thinks of this rant or Barry or Kevin.
Like everyone else here I do want to thank the committee. I had the absolute time of my life (well except for the sailing part but that`s just me). I can`t say how happy I am to have done the race again. Really enjoyed everybody involved both on the RC and the participants, Thank you

Corine
07-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Absolutely second the Nawilliwilli Yacht Club for the awards dinner instead of Tahiti Nui. We missed Sunday's BBQ but when we prepared Maitreya for the return trip in 2012 they were extremely welcoming and nice. And as Brian mentioned last week with the money we save by not having an expensive dinner and drinks we could maybe get a bus to drive folks back to Hanalei. Thanks for all the camaraderie and support on behalf of Jak who is sailing back with Gary while we speak.
Corine

Srwsails
07-27-2014, 09:35 AM
I'd be happy to present them with my own SSS burgee if no package is available from HQ.

Brian

Brian, nice offer, but it just dawned on me that I can send the one from Mouton since she didn't finish the race. I will include it with my thank you note to them. Glad to know you had even more fun with them! Nice.
As Corinne said if we use them for the banquet it would be nice to try and lease a bus or rent a van(s) with designated drivers. If there are vegetarians in the group (who knew???) there must be people that don't drink!!!! Perhaps starting it earlier, maybe around 4, then there could be more time after to just hang out and smooze.

Just my two cents from a land lubber. Susan (Mouton Noir)

MichaelJefferson
07-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Here are my thoughts.
Firstly the argument that a small boat cannot power an SSB is dead wrong. On receive it draws at most only an amp or two. Similar to a VHF. In transmit, although on the highest power mode it can draw a PEAK current of as much as 25 amps, if used at the intermediate or lower powers, the TOTAL amp hour cost for a gabby check-in is only a few amp hours. Many small boats (e.g. Big Dot, a 24 ish foot boat) had stellar SSB without needing huge power generation capabilities. Most of the issues people have with SSb are due to ignorance, not the nature of the technology. As far as requiring it, I am torn. We had one contestant go nuts and abandon a perfectly good boat (Space Cowboy- how aptly named...) in one of the races I did because he became convinced that aliens had planted a bomb on board. Really. I am convinced that had he been in regular contact with other racers, that reason and sanity would have prevailed (although given the boat name, maybe not). In another race, the General dismasted, and we were only able to find out about it due to a jury rigged antenna and SSB. In that case, he got sail-by visits from a number of boats who donated spare fuel and best wishes, and who could, if it had been needed, offer a tow or a ride to Hanaleii. These days the cost of an SSB is much less than that of a sail, if a little preplanning is done and EBAY is consulted often. After the seminar I gave on SSB installation, I found a huge pallet of ICOM 710 SSBs being sold for $600 each. Throw in a KISS radial ground (which has been proven to be extremely effective and easy to install) and a NEW tuner, the total cost to install an SSB is probably less than $1200. And for the cheap among us, it can be resold on EBAY or at Blue Pelican for most, if not all of what it cost afterwards. There is a certain type of person who throws an absolute fit each transpac over anything that smacks of safety requirements, especially SSB. A factor which does not seem to be considered is the liability of the SSS in the event of a serious disaster during the race. My opinion, not universally shared, is that if we have a fatality or "celebrated" big money rescue, the TransPac and possibly the SSS will not survive. WE already go to pretty good lengths to encourage good seamanship and proper equipment, with generally good results, as David's experience with the USCG (on Domino) has shown. Although modern satellite technoogy (Iridium, YB, Delorme, EPIRB etc) does offer some serious value, they are (with the exception of Iridium phone systems) just not capable of summoning specific help when needed. You know that something is wrong, but not necessarily WHAT. As the Vendee Globe and other world class singlehanded events have shown, the best or nearest rescue is likely to be a competitor. With an SSB net, the competitors connect with each other at least once a day, usually twice. Using a few sat phones in the group, any distress issues that the race committee is aware of can be communicated directly to the so equipped boats, and thus, over SSB (and VHF where useful) to the fleet. Without this sort of net, one might sail right past a fellow competitor in distress without ever knowing about it.

There are no guarantees. Singlehanded sailing is actually quite dangerous. Some of the entrants take the prospects of a difficult, long ocean passage (and often a worse return) seriously and prepare their boats appropriately. Others, especially ones on their first race, follow the letter of the rules (grudgingly) but do not seem to "get" the big picture with respect to the dangers and the power of a realy bad sea state over a long period of time. People laugh at the amount of gear and tools I carry, but my decisions to carry those things and to install the communications equipment I have are driven by a number of truly horrible and dangerous situations I have been through at sea. There is an argument that "light is fast". This is true, to an extent. I have seen quite a few boats espousing this philosophy barely make it to Hawaii at all in races i have sailed (in REASONABLE weather conditions) due to failed electrical systems, sails, halyards, and so on, with ineffective backups and few if any spare parts and tools. For god's sake- even Yves Parlier, one of the gurus of ultralight extreme sailing, carried enough tools, carbon cloth, resin, and supplies to COMPLETELY REBUILD and RE-RAISE an Open 60 carbon mast that was dismasted and shattered at sea.

My point is this. There needs to be some common sense about this race. It is NOT a day race X 14. It is NOT a gentle spinnaker run down lovely trade wind swells, giggling all the way. It is sticking your head (and boat) in a blender and hoping that boat preparation, skill, character, and perhaps some luck are enough to make it there, competitively or otherwise. In the past, the SSS TransPac rules have attempted to insure that boats that went out the Gate at least had the minimum of gear and spares that common sense and experience have shown are required to really have a realistic chance for survival in the event of things going badly wrong. Clearly, unless you are a raving paranoid like me you cannot take everything you "MIGHT" need, but the way that some people resist even having the essentials always baffles me. If someone like Webb Chiles (a hugely talented and experienced sailor) wants to sail to Hawaii with the minimum possible boat and gear, there is nothing to stop them- just go! If they want to do it in a race, then they should be prepared to abide by not only the letter, but also the spirit of the race regulations. If they do not, and die in the process, they will not have to bear the long term consequences- their families, their fellow competitors, the race committee, and the SSS will, and all will be hugely affected.

Here are some specific recommendations (sure to generate howls of outrage):
SSB should be highly encouraged, possibly required. If required, a detailed handout on acquisition, installation, and power needs should be sent with the race entry form, as ignorance is the major factor preventing people from using them. I have prepared a fairly complete presentation which I am willing to expand and provide for this purpose.

The seminar seeries should be started earlier and expanded a bit. I think that sending either printed handouts on critical issues (emergency rudder, electrical systems, SSB) or links on the SSS Site should accompany each entry. Late preparation or failure to appreciate the priorities and not having good information on starting points makes it hard for first timers to get everything sorted out well.

A "gumby suit" should be REQUIRED aboard all boats. These may be obtained at reasonable cost on EBAY. Even if bailing out into a life raft, it would be very easy to die of exposure before being rescued. If the life raft doesn't make it, a person has probably a 48 hour life expectancy floating in the ocean at our latitude (or south), and if holding an EPIRB, stands a good chance of being rescued (especially by a competitor if some way to notify them was in place).

This year there were boats in the race (Capri 25) which should NEVER sail outside the Gate. I have all respect to Doug and Kevin for their rather amazing seamanship in sailing the boats to SF and in Doug's case, finishing the race. But these boats are truly terrifying to those of us who have had the misfortune to experience really bad weather. Going out the Gate this year, we saw bad conditions. 30+ knots and nasty seas for several days. Please believe me when I say that these are actually pretty mild conditions compared to the sort of things that are possible off the California coast, even in June. Perhaps Peter on Scaramouche can amplify on this if anyone desires. I know I sure can. In any case, the ocean can destry any boat, given the right circumstances, but boats like a Capri 25, as fun to sail as they are, would be literally ripped apart by conditions that boats built and properly equipped for offshore sailing would survive. Again, no slight intended to the Capri 25 or the two entrants who sailed them. My recommendation is that a clause be inserted into the rules that allows the race committee, at its discretion, to consult a qualified naval architect (Antrim, Wiley, etc) for a decision as to whether or not a specific boat is designed for offshore sailing (construction, scantlings, rig, etc), and that the judgement of the (disinterested third party) be final with respect to accepting an entry. There are small boats, such as Maris (Dana 24), Moore 24, Express 27, Santa Cruz 27, Olson 30, etc which have a long proven ability to get out there and endure bad conditions. No one would suggest that a J24 was suitable for ocean conditions. Clearly there is a fuzzy line here, but we need SOME way to say "Sorry, but NO" to a prospective entry who does not properly understand the seamanship issues of a transpac. The withdrawl of the Mumm 30 after a rather brutal qualifier is a good case in point. I have no idea if the MUMM 30 is a good sea boat or not, but my impression is that after getting beaten up for a few days, the skipper realized that the boat was not right and had the great guts and integrity to withdraw.

Finally, I also second the proposal that much closer ties to nawiliwili Yacht Club be cemented and that we take them up on their gracious offer to host the dinner after. A further suggestion for those who dislike the drive is that we charter a couple of busses for those without cars or who want to drink a little more. The venue is superb, we can go late and drink and schmooze with each other and also the hosts, who actually sail a LOT, ad who are very congenial and interesting people. Even with a few busses, I bet the cost would be $30, and the drinks would be "at cost" (they make good drinks there, too... I discussed this with jim Saylor (google Saylor jeweler kapaa, and hold onto your eyeballs) and he and larry Conklin know someone the really trust who would probably cater the event for around $20 per head. With a LOT better food and a REAL dessert!

Finally I want to again thank the Race Committee, Ben and Lucie, Brian Boschma, Dave, and all the others who did so much to make this happen. My experience with this race spans about 25 years, and it is unique and wonderful. Somehow it always seems to work, thanks to poeple who step up and sacrifice themselves. It is a really hard job, and something of a burnout (from my observation). like herding cats. Really BIG, clever, anarchistic cats who LOVE to argue......

Michael Jefferson
S/V Mouton Noir

pogen
07-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks Michael for the detailed response.

I'm sure we will find though that experienced, knowledgeable , and well-meaning people can differ a lot as to matters of required gear and suitable vessels.

If it wasn't a real dessert, what was it?

Here is how to make a f'n awesome MaiTai, by the way.

Classic Mai Tai ("panty remover" version)

2 oz Ron Zacapa 23 dark rum
2 oz Ron Methusalem "Platino" white rum
1.5 oz Cointreau
3 oz fresh squeezed lime
1 t. orgeat syrup (or more, to taste)

Shake vigorously with ice. Pour into double Old Fashioned glass or Tiki mug over more ice. Pour a float of

1 oz Lemon Hart 151 Dark Demerara rum

Garnish with cocktail straws, crushed mint leaves (traditional), or slice of orange or lime with a little umbrella stuck into the fruit.

MichaelJefferson
07-27-2014, 09:56 PM
I do not consider a piece of flan the size of a ping pong ball a dessert that I should have to pay $60 for.
Michael Jefferson

pogen
07-27-2014, 11:15 PM
I do not consider a piece of flan the size of a ping pong ball a dessert that I should have to pay $60 for.
Michael Jefferson

Wow. No argument there.

Mewes
07-28-2014, 03:19 PM
The Tree Mai Tai this year was simple and well loved:

Per serving:

1oz dark rum (Barcardi cheap)
1/2 oz Cocoanut rum (Malibu)
3 oz orange juice
2 pineapple juice
1tsp grenadine.
Chill

Pour over ice if you have it.

sdpaine@cox.net
07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
One thing I think should be considered is to have some system in play whereby the term `seaworthy` is taken seriously. If someone wants to enter the race in a boat that is clearly designed as a day sailor they should be warned at the get go that their boat will under go a rigorous inspection to ensure that it exceeds its original design parameters. Capri 25`s should clearly not be sailing to Hawaii. Doug prepared his boat very very well and made basic structural improvements and still had a lot of trouble. Sorry to pick on Capris but they are obviously a lightly built daysailor or perhaps weekender. I can`t help worrying that the whole event will be compromised if someone dies because of an inappropriate boat. .......
..... I`m sure this subject has been tossed around endlessly but unfortunately I`m not in the club and I think it is the elephant in the room. I would be interested to hear what Doug thinks of this rant or Barry or Kevin.

I strongly agree with Peter's concerns as expressed above. I very much agree with his concerns that one accident could perhaps cause the termination of the race. It might also come as a surprise that I would not do the race in a stock Capri 25 although the first Capri 25 to sail the race took 2nd overall. That said, the difficulties I had were not caused by any design flaw in the 25, they were caused by a Nylox nut on the rig backing off ( I reused one rather than replacing it with a new one), and by the failure of the fully self-contained DeLorme tracking device. My decision to continue the race despite the damage was based on my confidence in the boat and its ability to handle rough weather (it had come through 5 days of full gales the year before with no damage at all) and with its ability to be easily driven with a much reduced sail area. I have great confidence in the boat.It is also true that over the years I have done a great many structural modifications to the boat to strengthen it. I have cut out the keel support structure and made it bulletproof, glassed in bulkheads that were formally free floating and added additional ones, put in two 4" cockpit drains (they were necessary), rebuilt the fore-cabin structure to take a Bomar hatch etc. Jack is a long way from a stock Capri 25 . While the hull construction quality is good (I have cut pieces out and they are in great shape), the general build quality from the factory was certainly 'down and dirty'. That said, it is also true that Barry has enough confidence in his 30 to race to Hawaii and return and he certainly has the experience in the race to make good judgements.

The question really becomes on of how do you determine if a boat is suitable for the race? Peter approves of the Dana 24 but not the Capri so it is not a matter of size. I would sail Jack in the race again, but not a stock Capri 25.The nearly stock Merit 25, Moore 24, or Santa Cruz 27 all have a long and successful history with the race. It is a really difficult question that I do not have an answer to.

FYI - I will do the race again, but not in Jack. Not because the boat is not up to it, but because I am not. The next race I do will be in a boat I can stand up in so my body (especially my knees) are not mince meat when I finish. I will continue to sail Jack until the day I can no longer hoist a sail, I really enjoy and trust the boat, but just not to Hawaii.

Mewes
07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Michael, the dessert was hapua, coconut pudding.

Sadly, the servers were overly generous.

I'll be really interested to see a $20 menu.

Srwsails
07-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Sadly, the servers were overly generous.

I'll be really interested to see a $20 menu.

The servers were overly generous?? That's a joke right? But regardless...
A $20 menu...yes I suspect something of quality wouldn't come in that low, but likely many of the expenses associated with the $60 would be offset by low to no overhead costs by using Nawilliwlli. No room rental, no paying staff etc. allowing more resources to go to a quality meal and venue. Plus it would likely involve a great volunteer effort by the Nawilliwilli club members. You DO know how well volunteers get paid, yes? ;)

Susan (Mouton Noir)

pogen
07-28-2014, 03:41 PM
1.5 oz of bottom shelf rum in a 6 oz drink? FFS.

Submarino
08-03-2014, 10:06 PM
I would not mandate a "cassette" since there are many different ways to skin a cat.

I would not require immersion suits.

I would not rule out or automatically rule in certain boats. Even the ocean capable boats have failures.

I don't know how other tracking devices compare with Yellow brick.

I would not mandate SSB, but encourage some method of two-way text or voice comm. To get more people doing SSB, add a few seminars dedicated to this.

I like the seminars focused biannually on SHTP and in-between on Long Pac.

Hooking up with NYC for banquet and races would be great. Would like to see an informal race from Hanalei Bay to Nawiliwili Harbor with NYC members on board. A Le Mans start swimming from shore would be awesome.

Formal roles/responsibilities, designated people, liaisons and schedules/rotations would be good.

Me thinks the modified PHRF ratings need some fine tuning.

Post race meeting/BBQ with racers only, even if it's back in Oakland would be nice.

Thanks for the great adventure Ben, Lucie, Brian, Dave, George, Bill, & Cliff and all the volunteers and racers. Really enjoyed the schedule and events at CYC pre-race.

Joe B.

BobJ
08-03-2014, 11:44 PM
The question really becomes on of how do you determine if a boat is suitable for the race?

After looking at some of the smaller boats entered in prior races, I added the following when I was R/C:

"10.04 - In preparation for, or as a result of the yacht’s inspection, the Race Committee may request a more recent survey than that provided with the yacht’s race entry. Additional information, including more detailed photographs of the yacht, the offshore history of the yacht and other yachts of the same type, and additional information about the skipper’s experience may also be requested. Skippers entering smaller yachts without offshore history/pedigree and first-time entrants are encouraged to submit their race applications early to allow sufficient time to comply with any such requests."

I encourage future SHTP R/C's to use this paragraph and request additional information for any boat about which they have concerns. In one case we made sure the surveyor knew the boat was entering a solo Hawaii race.

My heartiest congratulations to the SHTP "class of 2014." I'm not bashful in saying I should have raced to Hanalei again this year instead of Kaneohe. I had a good time but you guys had better conditions. We even had to drop out and motor due to very limited time in Hawaii and commitments back home.

Srwsails
08-04-2014, 01:27 PM
What's up with weather headed toward Hawaii. I heard that a hurricane or at least a tropical storm is headed there? What about the returnees? Are they in risky areas? Susan (S/V Mouton Noir)

peter00
08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
There is a well organized system approaching the Hawaiian Is. Actually there are two systems. Scaramouche is departing Hanalei Bay tomorrow (the 5th) with the intent of being north of 25N by Friday when the system will hit Kauai. At that point it could possibly be a tropical storm. I have received great advice as my friends in the USCG are knowledgeable as hell. I rowed around the bay this morning and made sure Maris and other cruisers were aware of the situation. I couldn't contact the people on Grace. People should be taking this situation seriously but I noted a reluctance to head to Ko'olina or Ala Wai. I'm sure everyone remembers what happened in Cabo all those years ago.

peter00
08-04-2014, 07:11 PM
To answer Susans question....extra tropical cyclones in the area of Hawaii are talked about but very seldom seen. Even the most destructive hurricanes have very little energy north of 25N. Everyone underway should be fine.

Robert Stodieck
08-06-2014, 08:55 AM
To answer Susans question....extra tropical cyclones in the area of Hawaii are talked about but very seldom seen. Except for Kauai

"Wind data in particular supports the USGS assertion that hurricane damage has been low on all islands except for Kauai."

Apparently Kauai is too far from the hurricane shield effect created by the big mountains on Hawaii, Maui, and O'ahu; and is crossed over by hurricanes regularly, with a frequency only somewhat less than typical for the latitude. Hurricanes causing major damage seem to hit in a 10 to 20 year timeframes. Hurricane Iselle and Julio are very unlikely to reach Kauai simply because they are approaching from the east, over the big island mountains. Kauai's hurricanes tend to approach from the south.

"September 1992: . . . Iniki caused almost $2 billion in damage, mainly to Kauai. It remains the second costliest East/Central Pacific hurricane on record, only behind Hurricane Paul in 1982. Six died as a result. Iniki brought winds of 140 miles per hour (230 km/h)."

"November 1982: Hurricane Iwa was one of Hawaii's most damaging hurricanes. Severe property damage was inflicted on the island; up to $250 million. - from the Wikipedia "List of Hawaii hurricanes" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hawaii_hurricanes )

The "hurricane" issue may distract attention from the more relevant issue of "what is the return weather going to be like this season". The difference between a "hurricane" and "tropical storm" is one mph. I do recall one experienced SHTPer who abandoned his boat at sea during the return, having seen just one too many ordinary "storms". (Skip Allan Scuttles Wildflower| http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2008-09-02#.U-JgqcKHc0o )

Srwsails
08-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Weather stuff approaching Hawaii is looking major sucky. Any updates on folks over there and what they may be doing?
Wishing safe passage to all those in the windy areas.
Susan (S/V Mouton Noir)

DaveH
08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
hi Susan -
It looks like Brian posted [yellow brick??] positions on the SHTP site for Harrier, Galaxsea and Lightspeed, all of whom seem to be well away to the North.

DH

Corine
08-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Hi Susan, Gary and Jak on Elizabeth Ann are fine as well. They have a Delorme tracker and currently actually don't have enough wind and have been bobbing around all night. Talked to Jak on SatPhone and they are getting a bit bored but hope the wind will pick up again later tonight. Currently at 41.09 138.21 heading for Brookings, OR or potentially Coos Bay if the north end of the high gets him there instead.
They talk on the SSB to the General and I saw on Facebook that Peter is having fun with some wind but not bad.
Just hope that Brian has someone checking the anchor of Maris! Not sure if Grace with the delivery crew already left.
Corine (S/V Maitreya)

Srwsails
08-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks all. I've been following the returnees. I am hoping all is well with those that remained. I believe Steve Hodges was to fly over this week to begin a return. Hoping all is well with those that remained and I wasn't really sure who that all entailed. Safe passages to everyone!
Susan (S/V Mouton Noir)

standardhuman
08-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Aloha from Nawiliwili,

The remaining fleet, Frolic, Grace, and Maris, are all snug in slips and within a few boat lengths of each other here in Nawilwili. I saw Brian and Steve this morning as well as the delivery crew aboard Grace. All seem at ease and as ready as one can be. This morning has brought us stronger breeze than I've seen here before, but standard issue for a summer afternoon in Berkeley. Will post further as Iselle passes and Julio approaches.

Wait, what was this thread about?

Brian
Maris

Mewes
08-12-2014, 09:23 AM
I ran into Jim Quanci yesterday. "Best return ever!" He sailed under the Gate at 6 AM, a day and a half behind Galaxsea and Lightspeed. The difference between a rough coast and not! Nice to see our skippers.

WBChristie
08-31-2014, 02:39 PM
The party's over...the trophies are packed into yachts headed home, provisions are stowed, weather gribs are being analysed right and left.

As Race Chairs, we have two duties left: Set the date for the next race and reserve the condo.

We've picked Saturday, June 25, 2016. HUGE EBB. Start at 1000. And the party will be Saturday, July 16, 2016. So we're reserving the Condo for Ten Days beginning Day 9 of the Race, July 9.

I have a few ideas of things that worked and things that to change.

SSS Seminar Series year round, every year. Repeats of some topics regularly.
Cassette ERudders only.
Yellow Brick. Is it worth the $5,700 cost?
Require SSB. A significant part of the race communication.
Seriously throw out the Minimum Equipment Requirement section. Racers from past years agree on what to add. SSS should set the rules, not any other group.
One honcho. One decision-maker. No "co's."

What do you say?

The SSS seminars are great, but for people out of town simply recording them and putting them on uTube would be very helpful...I think some were and some were not this year.

A cassette erudder would be very, very hard to fit on my boat, a double ender with outboard rudder.

Everyone I know loved the yellow brick tracker.

The SSB was a huge part of the enjoyment of the race for me. Used SSB's are available at very low cost. Anyone who plans to sail to Hawaii should be capable of installing one.

Yes.

Yes.

Joe, curious what are you talking about when you say that the "modified PHRF rating need to be looked at?"

Since my belt buckle receiving "speech" was so lame, I just want to say again that this whole experience was a high point in my life that I would hugely recommend it to anyone contemplating it.
Thanks to both Jak Mang for crewing back with me and the race committee - that I did remember. Others are Dave King, Lee Perry, John Boye. It would not have been possible without help from these three (Along with my wife Charlotte)
I hope to do the race again now that I have somewhat of a clue.

Gary - s/v Elizabeth Ann