PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Home Galaxsea

Lightspeed
08-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Welcome home Dan! I saw your return post about the 13k ride in 30k vary fast for Galaxsea. Lightspeed hit 16.1k in a 33k burst with a double reefed main and my 97%. Crazy as with a kite she normally only goes 13-14k. The moan of the wind was wild. Lightspeed took 45 gal and got home with 5. I think you said you had 300 gal. What did you end up with? Again, welcome home. Rick

Srwsails
08-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Yes!!!! :cool: Welcome home everyone that is coming in! Daniel looks whipped, Shelly looks like she's ready for another great adventure! You guys ROCK!
Susan. (S/V Mouton Noir)

Submarino
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Welcome Home, LightSpeed!!! Welcome Home, Galaxsea!!! Quite a crossing! Shelly, you are tough as nails!

Joe B.

Corine
08-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Gary and Jak came in a little after 7 am after a 24-day crossing!

Lightspeed
08-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Welcome home Gary. Lightspeed enjoyed listening in on your SSB. It took us 17 days and I was beat, can't imagine 24. I know you had limited fuel, what did you end up with. Rick

WBChristie
08-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks Rick, our little net was a lot of fun while it lasted. We actually ended up with about 10 gallons of fuel after agonizing the whole way back about when to burn and when to bob. We bobbed for about 3 days total - and tacked in 5k wind toward our destination for a few other days. Ironically the only glass ball I saw was when we were doing 7k in 25k wind with some help from a low. We did not go back and get it.
The return much more difficult than the race ... mostly because of the very light air.
Happy to be home! But already missing the grand adventure :)

WBChristie
08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Any news on Frolic? Or when the General got in?
Thanks

Robert Stodieck
08-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Any news on Frolic? Or when the General got in?
ThanksYellow brick says the General is about 70nm off of Santa Barbara. Looks like he may be dropping by Santa Barbara or the Channel islands.

WBChristie
08-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Is the location of the yellowbrick returning boats tracker a secret this year?

pogen
08-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Is the location of the yellowbrick returning boats tracker a secret this year?

It's here: http://yb.tl/shtp2014-return

Frolic does not seem to have a tracker. Harrier is right now just south of the Channel Islands, and less than a day from reaching her home port near LA.

WBChristie
08-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks for that David

Robert Stodieck
08-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Still looking for signs of Scaramouche. Last seen drag racing with Julio?

jakmang
08-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Still looking for signs of Scaramouche. Last seen drag racing with Julio?
They should get into Neah Bay tonight or may be there already.

jakmang
08-23-2014, 08:34 PM
They should get into Neah Bay tonight or may be there already.

Correction: tonight

peter00
08-25-2014, 07:39 PM
thanks for your interest. Scaramouche reached Neah Bay after 18 or 19 days (depending on who you ask). We certainly sailed harder at the beginning as Julio chased us for much longer than expected. But we started with some absolutely great sailing and kept the pedal down until we were sure the water was cold enough to protect us from the storm. This took longer than expected due, apparently, to some water temp anomalies. We used about 35 gal of fuel in total and had plenty in reserve. Arriving at the convergence of the traffic lanes at the entrance to Juan de Fuca provided some technical interest as our arrival was (of course) in thick fog. Everyone (the deep sea ships) behaved themselves and we had no real trouble altho occasionally we had to 'back or stop her' to let someone earning a living get past. With 4 people on board watches were blissfully short, weather was unbelievably warm unlike my last trip north and the boat performed, as usual, without issues. Star of the trip was Kevin Jones who decided not to race at the last minute in Alameda due to boat issues. Raconteur, musician, chef, very strong, and cleaning madman, what else could you want in a crewman? (Actually I can think of a couple of things but this is a family forum.) Scaramouche is now, regretfully, for sale. And life goes on (so far) cheers, Peter and a big thank you to everyone who made this race a real milestone in my life and the lives of my family

Robert Stodieck
08-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Getting north of Lat 25 had no meaning this year. It was equally warm at 30 north. Rather more important to get east. The sea surface temperatures must have been similar in 1992 when Iniki charged due north from Kauai. Hope this means that we get some rain around here!