PDA

View Full Version : Sailing out of Bodega Bay back to Allameda

Black Jack
08-26-2014, 06:08 AM
So is it really as simple as I want to believe that I go out of the harbor, go out 5 miles and hang a left down the coast to the SF shipping channel or is there a trick to riding the currents of Sonoma this time of year to make a better trip?

Thanks,

Ted

Black Jack
09-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Well we're are back! Winds were from the south at 5 knot the entire trip. It was one of those slow slugs down which was good for me, Andy and the 45 year old boat. We had a high marine layer and moments of sunshine. Nearly perfect for delivery of an untested boat only breaking one stainless fatigued eye. We motor sailed the entire route using a mercury long shaft 6 hp. Most times we were averaging about 4.6 kts with a very dirty keel and blown sails - i thought we did ok. Although we did hits some 7s as we passed near Tomalas bay. The stop in Drakes Bay was perfect. I have never seen it as clear and warm. The boat was resting on the bay which was alive in sliver with bait fish ball all night and huge salmon flashed blue under the darker water. A remarkable place on a perfect evening. We got up at 7, ate breakfast and were underway by 9. We skirted the Potato patch, the huge ebb under the gate by sticking to the north tower and still managed to make plus 4kts (again under power). We arrived in Alameda by 4:30, dropped off some stuff at Fortman and the Aeolian by 6:30. I figured we did 90 miles over 2 days. Bilges were dry all the way down, the cabin comfortable, the stove top worked nicely and the fuel consumption for the outboards was under 6 gallons of continous running at 3/4 throttle for 16 hours (a quite economical motor!).

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5582/15134945129_4498d89bbc_z.jpg

I can only imagine how fast the boat is going to go without a beard, a smooth keel and good sails. She is going to be a delight. But first a bottom job, a head and a set of sails.

BobJ
09-23-2014, 04:15 PM
I admit to having been a little concerned about your proposed voyage with, as you say, a 45 year-old boat that needs work and was new to you. It sounds like it couldn't have gone better.

Kudos on the good preparation and seamanship.

Philpott
09-23-2014, 04:58 PM
where are you? I have to see this boat.

Black Jack
09-25-2014, 10:26 AM
where are you? I have to see this boat.

I plan on keeping her at the Aeolian Yacht Club. We are about to undergo a dredging cycle starting in a few weeks. You are welcome to see her. I imagine the next few weeks will be dirty work as I wait for a turn to haul out - Berkeley might be the place to do this although Svens is so much closer abet more $.