PDA

View Full Version : Maris heads for home

standardhuman
09-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Should be departing tomorrow morning from Ko Olina Marina on the SW corner of Oahu, Berkeley bound. Tracking and messaging can happen here: https://share.delorme.com/BrianCline

See ya soon!

Brian

WBChristie
09-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Be safe! Do you have crew?

Philpott
09-06-2014, 09:51 PM
I keep looking for pretty Maris when I arrive at the marina, but that slip remains empty. I was at Dura Mater today removing my old Barient winches and I wondered about you! It will be good to have you back. Let us know when you approach the gate and we will try to sail out and accompany you back home.

standardhuman
09-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Be safe! Do you have crew?

I do have crew! A friend popped out of the glasswork at the last moment. I'm starting to see the point of this whole crew thing. So many things take much less time. Neat!

WBChristie
09-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Cool! Have fun, we will be following you.

brianb
09-08-2014, 10:24 AM
If you hear the words, "those things never go north of 28N", from a weather router, tell them he/she needs to consider asking for a refund from their degree provider.

peter00
09-08-2014, 12:52 PM
What the very experienced friends in Hawaii said to me was that while there is no Latitude you can pass and count yourself safe in fact the storms usually had little energy left above 25 N. Julio chased us well above that latitude (but a stern chase is a long chase) when I got home my friends said they definitely had to do some recalibrating. When I lived in the Caribbean in the late 70's the locals all agreed the hurricane season was over after the last full moon in Sept. The times they are a changin'.
I was totally confident that Scaramouche could survive winds up into the 50 kt range so once Julio weakened to that state I thought we probably wouldn't die. Given that the weather systems are in such a state of flux perhaps we shouldn't be arguing about whether SSB's should be required but whether Jordan Series Drogues should be required alternately have the less seaworthy boats like the Moores and the Capris undertake that they will be having the boats shipped back.

Robert Stodieck
09-09-2014, 05:31 PM
The settings needed to generate these Sea Surface Temperature maps is shown below.

The website is: http://nomad3.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/pdisp_sst.sh?ctlfile=oiv2.ctl&varlist=on&new_window=on&ptype=map&dir=

Srwsails
09-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Be safe! Have a great voyage!
Susan S/V Mounton Noir

sdpaine@cox.net
09-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Welcome home
Doug

peter00
09-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Brian, glad you're home and safe. Ca
n't thank you enough for your mid ocean texts. Made my day. cheers, Peter

Christian
09-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Brian, you devil, it looks like you made a straight beeline home. Some day I'll tell you what you missed up at 41N!

Nice going and a grand time at Nawiliwili with you all.

Christian
Thelonious

sleddog
09-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Brian,

Welcome home to you and MARIS. A most excellent passage.

~sleddog

standardhuman
10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks all, it is wonderful to be home again, though I do miss those Hawaiian waters. The passage was much more pleasant than I had expected.

The stats:
Time en route: 22 days
Average VMG: 4 kts
Fuel used: 14 gallons
Fresh water used: 30 gallons
Hours motoring: 21
Highest latitude: 37˚47'

The weather was crazy. Crazy nice for the most part and crazy in that we were able to make easting pretty much from day one. Big header about a 1/3 of the way that forced us N-NW for 24 hours before tacking south again. The wind regained its senses 12 hours later and we were again reaching E-NE. The highest we went was around North Farallon Island. 1 night spent becalmed and rolling around, too much debris in the water to motor at night in that area. 1 giant steel submerged mooring ball cleaved by Maris' bow. No significant breakages or wear that I am aware of. Worst weather were conditions almost exactly like those at the start of the race in almost exactly the same area; the last 200 or so miles from the coast. Lots of storms and lightening in that home stretch, very confused seas.

Brian

Screenshot from the tracker:

Harrier
10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Nice work, Brian.
Good to see you and Maris home after what appears to be an interesting and fast passage.
Fair Winds for the future, Ken

Gamayun
10-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Welcome home, Brian! Glad the weather was mostly pleasant. It looked like you had to dodge a few hurricanes.

Carliane