PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded Midwinters 2014/2015

BobJ
10-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Greetings!

I'm planning to enter the Berkeley Midwinters to race shorthanded in their Sunday series. BYC has offered a Sunday shorthanded division for at least a couple of years but there haven't been enough sign-ups. Let's fix that.

The dates are 11/9, 12/14, 1/11 and 2/15, with the Winners' Race on 3/01. Races are mostly W/L's on the Berkeley Circle; all other details are available on BYC's website under the "Racing" tab.

Please sign up by 11/03 so they'll know we're doing this, and indicate your interest here too. We need five boats - surely we can get that many together.

I'll race SH if necessary but I'll be looking for a second, if anyone is interested.

Philpott
10-09-2014, 06:43 PM
I'll do it if they have a singlehanded division. I did that years ago when I had my Cal 20 - lots of floating around the Circle, but why not?

BobJ
10-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes, you can race either single or double-handed. You might need that light air headsail you posted about, to minimize the drifting part.

So we're already 40% there - how about a few more shorthanders for the Berkeley Mids? I might be persuaded to race non-spinnaker, to keep this fair. :)

Gamayun
10-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes, Kynntana is in. I've been meaning to find a double-hand series for a friend and me to race in. This would be perfect. Might even try flying that spinnaker....

Carliane

Philpott
10-11-2014, 12:38 PM
the shorthanded division will be Sundays

Gamayun
10-12-2014, 06:45 PM
I spoke with a few people today who might also be interested in this. The one thing they brought up is that BYC often finishes their races INSIDE the breakwater. I know Jackie is keen to fly in there under full sail, but me, not so much with 550 sq ft of the stuff...

The NOR says: "Courses will be on the Olympic circle, using both permanent and temporary buoys." Does this mean that start and finish will be on the circle?

Philpott
10-12-2014, 07:44 PM
It's fun to sail into the marina with both sails up. Sometimes, when the wind is due west one gybes unexpectedly mere feet from the breakwater. That's especially exciting when you are practicing your port to port passing of a new sailing student from OCSC, learning how to tack back and forth on his/her way out of the marina. Sometimes small fishing boats are parked at one or more of the three entrances to the marina while their owners ignore everyone else. Then there are the commercial fishing boats, which tend to use the south entrance with aplomb - in Berkeley that means they ignore right of way. Best of all are the shoals just off the entrances, which last Friday fluctuated from 10 to 5 to 11 to 4 feet deep as Dura Mater approached the middle entrance. But my very favorite experience is when deep draught boats (like the Cal Maritime racing sloop) stop dead in the shallow entrance as they approach with those beautiful spinnakers up. Best to be on the deck of the Berkeley Yacht Club when that happens. There's always lots of yelling and cursing and sometimes people fall into the water. Not to discourage anyone.

BobJ
10-12-2014, 08:48 PM
. . . There's always lots of yelling and cursing and sometimes people fall into the water. Not to discourage anyone.

Uh, huh - little miss joy and sunshine!

I know BYC finishes their Friday night races off the club (inside the breakwater) but I don't think that's true of the Midwinters - I'll ask around. It's been 12(?) years since I last did them. Gamay, the start is at the center of the Circle at X-OC. On low tide days that could be an issue.

As for today, I motored straight back seeing 8+ knots SOG until the tide turned, and then I was on the race deck for part of the afternoon. The breeze would come, the breeze would go. A few boats made it in right before the deadline. Kudos to Allen and Kristen who sat out there all afternoon, and to Jonathan who brought us beer from the club - whataguy!

pogen
10-13-2014, 11:36 AM
I know BYC finishes their Friday night races off the club (inside the breakwater) but I don't think that's true of the Midwinters - I'll ask around.

Thanks Bob, this would be good to know. I think if they finish in the marina I personally would not be too excited to do it singlehanded. Maybe if I got crew?

After a brilliant start and run down the river yesterday, I broke my usual rule and got too clever following Starbuck (who I thought had the same draft as me) outside the fairway in a plan to minimize the number of tacks to make it out of the river mouth. Hit the mud, and had to motor off immediately, as the tide was falling. So I was DNF from almost the first hour. Really lovely day to be out though. Thanks to Allen and Kristen also who put a lot of time in to not get to see many finishers!

Gamayun
10-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Seriously, Jackie; you sure know how to make the heart pitter patter with excitement while sailing and I get enough of that already.

As to Vallejo, I used up my patience quota on Saturday and got to just past the ferry dock when the wind died while I was on a port tack and heading toward the shallows with another boat tacking toward me. Motored back at only 4-5 knots. The tide was too strong, but the Blue Angels buzzed over as I was putting the sail away on the back side of Treasure Island. It was a good weekend. In my opinion, Race Committees should get extra special awards and free beer at the end of the year party :-)

BobJ
10-19-2014, 12:40 PM
This is coming together. BYC's R/C says the starts and finishes are on the Circle at X-OC. They'll be delighted to give shorthanders our own start if we have enough entries.

Tides look okay for draftier boats: High on 11/9, Low but +2.2 on 12/14, Mid and flooding on 1/11. On 2/15 it will be Low at 1600 and a bit minus. If that race drags out you'll have to watch it on the shoreward part of the Circle.

A couple of us mulled over doing our own thing but let's support BYC (who supports us with Round the Rocks, etc.) and see how it goes. I'll sign up now (that's three boats already). Please give this your consideration and post here so we know how we're doing.

Click HERE (http://www.berkeleyyc.org/race/2014-2015-midwinters) to read the NOR and to sign up.

Thanks - this will be fun!

Lightspeed
10-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Lightspeed is interested. She did the 2013-2014 BYC Midwinters with Paul Kamen & crew and won the Sat Div A series. The start and finish is on the circle. It is the Friday BYC chowder races that the finish is at the breakwater.

Lots of work shorthanded rounding marks with spinnaker sets and douses. My torn rotor cuff is doing better but I will need a three handed crew to compete.

BobJ
10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm still open to the idea of racing non-spinnaker since the legs are pretty short. I put in a plug for a reaching mark to get some separation from the fully-crewed boats - that would also work better for racing non-spinnaker. I think Philpott has a similar problem (rotator cuff) and neither her boat nor Gamayun's are currently rated with spinnakers.

All suggestions are encouraged.

Lightspeed
10-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Bob, point of clarification. Singlehanded or doublehanded? I would very much enjoy a non-spinnaker singlehanded race on a short buoy course. With singlehanded traditionally a longer all day point to point race, I would encourage more to give this short fun afternoon venue a try. SSS will need to coordinate a singlehanded division with BYC if we want to use autopilots.

BobJ
10-19-2014, 04:48 PM
The NOR just says "shorthanded." Per this thread, it sounds like Dura Mater wants to go single, Kynntana double, and I'll race single unless someone wants to race with me - I just want to get some sailing on the Winter calendar. In other series you can use autopilots either SH or DH - I'll have to check to see what BYC does.

Edit - I just sent the R/C a note to ask about autopilots (and whether they still have a credit for racing non-spinnaker). I'll report back.

Lightspeed
10-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks, if your looking for a head count I am in for singlehanded non-spinnaker first and happy to beat the drum at the RYC. If we can not get 5 to enter for our own div, then I will most likely want to move to Double-handed spinnaker. Thanks for bringing this up...Rick

Philpott
10-19-2014, 05:49 PM
If I recall correctly non spinnaker simply gets a 3 sec/minute credit. There is no distinction between singlehanded and doublehanded. I have never seen another singlehanded sailor in a BYC race.

BobJ
10-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I got another prompt reply from the R/C (thanks Bobbi!) - and do remember this is BYC's event, not mine or the SSS's.

Because of the casual nature of BYC's Friday night series, they do things there that don't happen with these somewhat-more-serious Midwinters, like non-spinnaker credits. So there aren't any. This is consistent with NorCal PHRF's recommendation that spinnaker and non-spinnaker fleets be scored separately. They are okay with autopilots for shorthanders.

What we know is there will be one shorthanded division, if we get enough entries for it. Right now I'm the only paid entry so there's not much more to discuss. If we get enough boats, we could discuss separate scoring within the division for spinnaker vs. non-spinnaker and/or singlehanders vs. doublehanders. My opinion is that since we will all probably be in the same division, only singlehanders should be allowed to use autopilots. This would even things out a bit.

But the first thing is to sign up.

dhusselman
10-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Count me in. I will sign up tomorrow....

Dirk - TIJD

BobJ
10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Cool Dirk. Our boats match up well.

Jonathan Gutoff
10-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Stink Eye will go doublehanded. I'll sign up this week.

Gamayun
10-20-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm all signed up. Thanks for suggesting this, Bob!

BobJ
10-20-2014, 09:13 AM
COOLIO!

(Normally said in front of my daughter's friends to make them roll their eyes - I have no shame.)

Tchoupitoulas
10-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Starbuck is in. I'm not sure I would do singlehanded spinnaker on short W/L courses, now that I'm back to symmetric kites and the 13' pole. But if it stays as one big shorthanded division, I like that I could mix it up and sail with one or two, spin or non, on any given day.

Tchoupitoulas
10-20-2014, 08:23 PM
David, yes I saw you stick it in the ooze but I thought you got out under sail. Bummer. I thought I had just gone right through the same spot. Starbuck draws 6.4'.

pogen
10-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Well, 6.5' is what the sounder said. I thought I drew 6'. The mudbank is very steep there as you can see if you can be bothered to look closely at the chart, as I did not. I fired up the motor right away as I knew the tide was going out. Oh well. Usually I am religious about staying inside the marks! But tacking my 150% is so expensive and I was trying to save myself two tacks exiting the river. Oh well live and learn. Or not.

Lightspeed
10-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Lightspeed has entered singlehanded

BobJ
10-21-2014, 06:39 PM
It looks like we'll have enough boats for two informal divisions within BYC's Shorthanded division. We'll probably have to keep track of that ourselves. Maybe I/we can even cook up some prizes!

Thanks - keep 'em coming!

brianb
10-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Trophies: From a previous event plan - we had every one who was willing donate old trophies from any sport. A few mods were made, for example a bowling trophy had a beer can inserted on the top, removing the bowling ball, and we had a very unique trophy set.

solosailor
10-22-2014, 09:05 AM
To shallow I'm thinking for 7.3 draft....

pogen
10-22-2014, 10:27 AM
It looks like we'll have enough boats for two informal divisions within BYC's Shorthanded division. We'll probably have to keep track of that ourselves. Maybe I/we can even cook up some prizes!

Thanks - keep 'em coming!

Singlehanded / Doublehanded or Sporty / Slug?

BobJ
10-22-2014, 11:31 AM
I was thinking blue boats vs. white boats, and we'll take STARBUCK.

Oops, I forgot about STINK EYE. Maybe blue boats vs. red boats since there AREN'T ANY white boats signed up yet!

Daydreamer
10-24-2014, 08:56 AM
How about green boats! Daydreamer is signed up. Singlehanded, no spinnaker.
See you all out there!
Greg

BobJ
10-24-2014, 09:40 AM
I get it now. We have non-white hulls because we are willing to commit to a color. We're into commitment.

(Still no white-hulled boats signed up for the shorthanded division.)

dhusselman
10-25-2014, 09:32 AM
I did sign-up yesterday (white hull)

Dirk - First 30JK "TIJD"

BobJ
10-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Great Dirk!

The consensus in this thread suggests (sub)divisions of singlehanded non-spinnaker and doublehanded with spinnaker, unless the consensus is we don't care. There could also be shorthanded entries who haven't seen this thread.

Looking good though - we have six paid entries so far:
http://regattalog.com/race/entries?race=500

dhusselman
10-25-2014, 12:07 PM
So, I signed up for Sunday races only. Are those the races everyone is planning on?

Thanks,

Dirk - First 30JK "TIJD"

Gamayun
10-25-2014, 02:39 PM
So, I signed up for Sunday races only. Are those the races everyone is planning on?

Thanks,

Dirk - First 30JK "TIJD"

Yes. (Apparently, I couldn't just reply "yes" because that message was too short according to the forum, and so now I post more jibberish -- who makes up these rules?!)

todd22123
10-25-2014, 09:56 PM
I sent registration and check. This is a white boat.

Todd

BobJ
10-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Indeed it is! Will this be your first race with the new boat? Are you thinking SH or DH?

todd22123
10-27-2014, 09:15 PM
SH. Yes, first race w J92s.

solosailor
10-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Is there a consensus on the SH vs. DH credit or different divisions?

BobJ
11-01-2014, 09:22 PM
(Edited)

Solo, I count 13 boats on the current entry list who normally sail shorthanded (wahoo!), and per this thread I think we'll see a couple more by Monday night. This is enough that I'll suggest to the R/C they have two shorthanded divisions. From this thread it sounds like most will be singlehanded, so perhaps the split should be spinnaker vs. non-spinnaker rather than SH vs. DH, or we could ask for a split by PHRF rating.

Per the R/C, there are no rating credits for racing non-spinnaker or for singlehanding. My idea/suggestion is that doublehanders not use autopilots.

Comments?

Lightspeed
11-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I like spinnaker vs non-spinnaker. Maybe we need a new head count on who is planning on flying a spinnaker.

BobJ
11-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Non-spin: Lightspeed, Daydreamer, Dura Mater, maybe Starbuck, Kynntana (unless re-rated)

Spin or hasn't said: TIJD, Windtrip, Elise, Stink Eye, maybe Ragtime!, Bandicoot (as rated)

Not sure if shorthanded: Sea Star, Summertime Dream, maybe others

Skippers, please tell us what you're thinking and I'll contact Bobbi (BYC R/C) tomorrow evening. BTW, I don't think entries actually close tonight or tomorrow, that's just the cutoff to have enough boats for a separate start. If you don't post here or are having login problems, send me an e-mail: BobsailsSF at the yahoo place. Thanks.

solosailor
11-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Per the R/C, there are no rating credits for racing non-spinnaker or for singlehanding. My idea/suggestion is that doublehanders not use autopilots.
Hmmmmm....... well it would be a slam dunk for me to go DH then since I would sail by far faster on a short course DH. I still think SH and/or non-spin should get a 6sec credit or such. Not sure how to make it more fair otherwise other than having separate SH/DH divisions.

BobJ
11-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I would be fastest racing DH spinnaker too, but that's not why I'm doing this.

Bobbi was specific that non-spin credits were a Friday night (casual) thing. I didn't ask about a credit for single-handing, but it looks like there will be very few doublehanders anyway - not enough for their own (sub) division.

If BYC treats it as one big shorthanded division I guess we can cook up our own rating credits, but I personally don't plan to make this uber-competitive.

Philpott
11-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I sailed singlehanded in the BYC chowder race today and that wind sure dies. From 16.5 to ... Well, less. I can pole out my jib and still be considered non spin, right?

Gamayun
11-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Non-spin: Lightspeed, Daydreamer, Dura Mater, maybe Starbuck, Kynntana (unless re-rated)

Spin or hasn't said: TIJD, Windtrip, Elise, Stink Eye, maybe Ragtime!, Bandicoot (as rated)

Not sure if shorthanded: Sea Star, Summertime Dream, maybe others

Skippers, please tell us what you're thinking and I'll contact Bobbi (BYC R/C) tomorrow evening. BTW, I don't think entries actually close tonight or tomorrow, that's just the cutoff to have enough boats for a separate start. If you don't post here or are having login problems, send me an e-mail: BobsailsSF at the yahoo place. Thanks.

Wow. What a turnout. This is great! I don't have a preference on how the divisions are set up. The reason I'm racing is because a friend of mine has had such a blast on Kynntana that she wants to race more. I'm competitive, too, but this is my first year and right now it's all about just getting over the start line in a respectable time, finishing, and enjoying the day. Because I'll have crew, I would like to practice flying the spinny, so I'd rather not be limited by spin or non-spin although my PHRF was based on not having a spinnaker. I don't even know if this means that I'd be 'cheating' if I were to fly it, but if someone protests, then I won't. Or maybe I should request a new PHRF with spin....? Suggestions welcome.

Carliane

BobJ
11-02-2014, 10:55 PM
I can pole out my jib and still be considered non spin, right?

Yep, sure can.

BobJ
11-02-2014, 11:10 PM
I would like to practice flying the spinny, so I'd rather not be limited by spin or non-spin although my PHRF was based on not having a spinnaker. I don't even know if this means that I'd be 'cheating' if I were to fly it, but if someone protests, then I won't. Or maybe I should request a new PHRF with spin....? Suggestions welcome.

Carliane

Yes, you need to get K re-rated with spinnaker to be able to race with it. The next PHRF committee meeting is 12/4 so I'd do the first race non-spin, which is good anyway to get used to the course(s) and shorter starting line, etc.

When the time comes, you'll need to give NorCal PHRF your spinnaker dimensions: Luff, leech, foot and mid-girth, and whether you're able to articulate (rotate) the tack aft, out from behind the main.

solosailor
11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm in....

pogen
11-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Me too. Better to race SH in an SH Division, than SH in a crewed division I think.

Philpott
11-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Me too. Better to race SH in an SH Division, than SH in a crewed division I think.

way mo betta

BobJ
11-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Update: It looks like we have 13-14 shorthanded entries - GREAT! BYC's R/C currently plans to split the shorthanded division in two, based solely on PHRF rating. Stink Eye appears to be the median (123) but we'll see where they split it.

As suggested earlier in this thread (not official and not BYC's concern), we could agree on some scoring tweaks and even do some prizes within the shorthanded divisions.

From this thread it appears most boats will be raced singlehanded, so having a singlehanded credit doesn't make much sense. This is good because you could plan to bring somebody along but if they can't make it, you're still eligible to win something for the series. Can we just agree that only singlehanders may use autopilots?

Since approx. half of you posted about racing non-spinnaker, I'm checking into a non-spinnaker credit based on how BYC does it for their Chowders = 4% of your boat's TCF. I'm trying to find out (without doing a bunch of footin' and tickin') how that compares to seconds/mile on a typical Midwinters course scored TOD. The non-spin credit could be done on a race-by-race basis - you just need to tell us which way you raced that day. The credit would be for boats which are already rated to carry spinnakers.

So that's where we are. The official divisions (from BYC) should be up tomorrow (Thursday) night. Again, suggestions are encouraged. Let's make this fun and hopefully we'll have an even larger group next year.

Philpott
11-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Update: It looks like we have 13-14 shorthanded entries - GREAT! BYC's R/C currently plans to split the shorthanded division in two, based solely on PHRF rating. Stink Eye appears to be the median (123) but we'll see where they split it.

As suggested earlier in this thread (not official and not BYC's concern), we could agree on some scoring tweaks and even do some prizes within the shorthanded divisions.

The official divisions (from BYC) should be up tomorrow (Thursday) night. Again, suggestions are encouraged. Let's make this fun and hopefully we'll have an even larger group next year.

Thanks, Bob! whatever happened to the boat color-fleet? Dura Mater is offwhite. A sure winner in her own fleet, I think. Non spin, for us. See you out there. Hors d'oeuvres afterward in the Clubhouse. Cheetos on board Dura Mater.

BobJ
11-05-2014, 05:18 PM
We needed to keep it fair. Blue boats are always faster.

Lightspeed
11-05-2014, 09:59 PM
We needed to keep it fair. Blue boats are always faster.

Agreed, I do not believe in the old saying "There are only two boat colors White & Wrong"

Critter
11-06-2014, 01:52 PM
... I'm checking into a non-spinnaker credit ... The credit would be for boats which are already rated to carry spinnakers.
Bob, you haven't written anything that I would contradict, and I'm sure you're aware of this, but for Carliane's and others' benefit I would point out that NCPHRF rates most boats *as if* they were carrying spinnakers. If Kynntana adds a spinnaker, its rating won't change - assuming the spinnaker, pole, etc are of non-penalty dimensions.
Max

BobJ
11-06-2014, 03:19 PM
It's a bit confusing. You need to declare what you're racing with, even if it doesn't change your rating. It gets even more confusing when you offer a non-spinnaker credit: "But you already didn't not have a spinnaker." Personally I don't mind if Kynntana pops a chute but somebody might fuss if it isn't on the certificate, especially if it looks like a "whomper."

Now Dura Mater . . . you never know what she'll show up with:

Philpott
11-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Now Dura Mater . . . you never know what she'll show up with:

I'm ready for all of you: today I sailed almost all the way to Richmond out of Berkeley. I attached the spinnaker pole to the mast jaws up. Thank you, Bob, for the spinnaker pole. I attached the shackles of the second set of jib sheets to the bow pulpit and led them back to the cockpit. Thank you, Pat, for those! I attached the topping lift to the upper ring of the pole and the downhaul to the lower ring. Changed out my reefing lines for the topping lift and downhaul so everything was led through blocks and line organizer to the cockpit. Made sure all the lines were above the spinnaker pole and in front of the topping lift. Put the boat on a beam reach and engaged Mary Margaret (the autopilot), went forward and put Pat's jib sheet through the jaw of Bob's spinnaker pole, crossed my fingers, hoping that everything would work the right way, went aft, turned downwind, pulled the topping lift line and .... voila!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing blew up! the boat didn't sink. I didn't fall overboard, and then! I lowered the spinnaker pole, went forward and switched out the jib sheet to the other side of the boat and ..... it worked on that side, too!!! So exciting. Admittedly it was only 6 knots of breeze, but there will be some of that in Midwinters. So, I'm ready. Bring it on.

BobJ
11-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Sounds good Jackie. A few things to make it simpler and easier:

You don't usually need a downhaul when using the pole as a whisker pole. Try it without a downhaul and see how it goes. You may not need the topper either, except in light air when the weight of the pole is pulling down the jib's clew too much.

Since you have to go forward to maneuver the pole anyway, I wouldn't bother with re-routing the reefing lines to have cockpit control of the pole. If you have a place to make the topper fast on the mast, just do that.

I assume you're using the second pair of sheets to lead them aft (outside the stanchions, etc.) when the pole is set? You may not need to do that for short runs in light air, unless the primary jib sheets are led inside the shrouds.

I larks-head (slip knot) a loop of line through the clew of the jib and clip the pole into that. Especially when the sheets are led well aft, the pole tends to slide down the sheet in light air. Clipping it into a loop instead of the sheet prevents that.

Finally, it's usually jaws (open) up for a spinnaker pole, but jaws down when used as a whisker pole. Try it both ways and see which is easier to release.

Good going!

BobJ
11-06-2014, 08:02 PM
SI's and Divisions are up!
http://www.berkeleyyc.org/race/2014-2015-midwinters

Make sure you're looking at Sunday for the start sequence, and watch for course changes at our Warning signal(s) - i.e. don't just follow the crewed Division 2 boats.

As Tom W says: "Boogity, boogity, let's go racing!"

Gamayun
11-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Way to go, Jackie!!! Need pictures next time ;-)

Wylieguy
11-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Jackie, There's an old Santana 22 technique I used for poling out the jib on my Newport 30. All S22 jibs come with a small wire loop in the clew cringle. You attach the whisker pole to that ring instead of putting in on (yes, jaws down) jib sheet. That way you don't have to detach the pole from the sail while jibing. 1) Standing by the mast, unhook the pole from the mast ring; 2)pull the pole back just behind the forestay, keeping your end in front of the mainsail but parallel to the bow-stern; 3) push the front end of the pole forward on the opposite side of the forestay; 4) clip the pole back on the mast ring. Then go back to the cockpit and trim the sheets.

I used a short length of small diameter line to make a loop through the clew cringle. It needs to be large enough for the pole-end fitting, but not too "loopy" so there's too much slop.

I found that much easier than trying to "catch" the lazy sheet in the jaw of the pole. I could jib the pole in few seconds from the mast, which I leaned against for support and balance. If your jib sheets are outside the shrouds you only need one set rather than two. -- Pat

Lanikai
11-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Good point, Pat. My tuna's used jib came with a vinyl covered wire loop in the clew eye. It's pretty easy to grab, even with the tiny jaw on the whisker pole.
On the Santana, I find it easiest if, right after pointing nearly ddw and bungeeing the tiller fast in place, I lock both jib sheets so the clew is stuck in the middle of the boat, right next to the mast. The loop is then an easy target for the pole I had sitting ready on the cabin top, and the jib is well-behaved since it isn't catching any wind. Release the sheets, jump forward to push the pole and jib clew to the windward side of the forestay and set the pole on the mast bale, then jump back and trim. Jibing works as you described.
Probably harder to execute with any elegance on a bigger boat with a large genoa and a hefty pole, so caveat emptor. Also, my sail handling methods have garnered no profits thus far, so doble caveat emptor (or whatever is Latin for double).

Philpott
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Bob, thanks, Pat. If I put the jib sheet through the jaw rather than using the "loop" method I can furl the jib right up to about 6 inches, then drop the spin pole gently to the foredeck without leaving the cockpit. In wind higher than yesterday's 6 knots I will employ that technique for awhile until I feel wilder and crazier.

solosailor
11-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Singlehanded w/Spinnaker. Of course I reserve the right to do DH on days where it's blowing a bit much!

BobJ
11-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Over at RYC today, boats were being emptied out, bottoms were being polished, etc. in anticipation of tomorrow's friendly competition. There was also lots of ratchet-jawing going on. It seemed the blue boats were receiving most of the attention. This is to be expected.

Looks light for tomorrow.

pogen
11-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Well my bottom hasn't been done since Vallejo, so that should make me the 'friendliest'. She is going to the yard Sunday evening for new paint.

I also have my non-sailor Corinthian crew tomorrow as snacktician/spokesmodel.

BobJ
11-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Sounds good. I'll have my usual band of nutjobs aboard: The main trimmer thinks the mainsheet is percale, the pit is the pits, the trimmers couldn't trim a hedge and the foredeck couldn't find it if he was standing on it (he will be). The driver would be better off trying to drive a tractor up a tree. (Yep, I'm singlehanding.)

Philpott
11-08-2014, 10:25 PM
In addition to my expanded repertoire of sail skills, I have a secret weapon tomorrow: crew.

solosailor
11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Boooo..... now the arms race has begun. As in 4 arms, not 2. Thought it would be nice to singlehand these midwinters but there were wayyyyyy to many doublehanders in the faster SH division. Lead all the way around the course but could not hold off a longer boat with doublehanded crew once the wind was above 20k after the last leeward mark. I will be doublehanded the rest of the series I guess to be competitive, bummer. Wish there was some sort of singlehanded credit but without that I don't have a choice.

Jonathan Gutoff
11-09-2014, 07:12 PM
We felt for you Greg. We had a hard enough time with two people. But the wind was a little stronger than predicted...
Horseshit/Boooo..... now the arms race has begun. As in 4 arms, not 2. Thought it would be nice to singlehand these midwinters but there were wayyyyyy to many doublehanders in the faster SH division. Lead all the way around the course but could not hold off a longer boat with doublehanded crew once the wind was above 20k after the last leeward mark. I will be doublehanded the rest of the series I guess to be competitive, bummer. Wish there was some sort of singlehanded credit but without that I don't have a choice.

solosailor
11-09-2014, 07:21 PM
But the wind was a little stronger than predicted...Like 15-18k stronger than predicted. Haven't gone backwards after a tack in a long time!

BobJ
11-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I thought the Archie 35 was racing full crew but apparently not. They must have set on the second run - I didn't see a kite but by the second time around, both of you were too far ahead to see. You definitely got a workout Greg.

Having different courses for the two shorty divisions will make it hard to cook up our own scoring tweaks, plus these other (non-SSS) boats don't know what we're thinking.

Sorry I didn't head down to the club for horse devores. The Richmond Riviera was looking mighty good after the fog rolled in! GREAT day though - I was expecting a raft-up after looking at the forecast this morning. Thanks to all of you for coming out to play. Any "stories" to tell?

solosailor
11-09-2014, 08:31 PM
They must have set on the second runThey did not. I was going to set again but with the limited visibility and small boats all over the place I didn't want to come screaming down at 14-16k and have an unfortunate situation. Would have certainly done so doublehanded.

solosailor
11-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Having different courses for the two shorty divisions will make it hard to cook up our own scoring tweaks, plus these other (non-SSS) boats don't know what we're thinking.Can't see any possible ways to combine divisions nor for any shorthanded/doublehanded spin/no-spin. If there was going to be scoring tweaks we should have had that already worked out, no?

todd22123
11-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Any "stories" to tell?

Bob-

Thanks for organizing this. Very good turnout. What happened to the forecast? I was expecting 5 kn NE.

I memorized the course, but then I forgot it, because I was expecting to finish after the 2nd Windward Mark. I crossed line. They gave me no horn, but I figured that was just the way they did things in Berkeley. Then I tried to get sailing home and stay out of the way of any other finishers, but there were no more finishers, then I realized what happened. The penalty is one place for that infraction. I am glad it is not DSQ.

This was my first race with the J92S. My goal was to finish the course and avoid contact. So that worked out well.

Todd

pogen
11-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Well I have again studied the SIs and I can't see how I (and perhaps Tijd) managed to DNF, unless the RC simply did not see us. We did not get a horn crossing the finish. We overstood the finish by quite a bit , and so approached the finish at a very shallow angle, but definitely passed between OCX and the RC, on port tack. A bit ahead of Lightspeed FWIW. We sailied Course 4 S - W - R - L - F, following a number of others in our division.

Super nice day on the water, though the 16 kts at our finish and the 20kts reaching home with our 150% #1 were quite a bit more than advertised. I'm not used to such short legs -- setting the kite at those reaching leg angles did not seem like it was worth it for a sym boat. I'm surprised though that the J92S did not set. Perhaps the RC gave us the reaching DW course to keep us out of the crewed fleets traffic pattern.

Lightspeed
11-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Bob-

Thanks for organizing this. Very good turnout. What happened to the forecast? I was expecting 5 kn NE.
Todd

Yea what did happen to that 5k? Sure glad I have my bi-weekly shoulder physical therapy appt tomorrow. 20+ with the 140 up was a real workout (for the other shoulder!!).

Wylieguy
11-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Well I have again studied the SIs and I can't see how I (and perhaps Tijd) managed to DNF, unless the RC simply did not see us. We did not get a horn crossing the finish. We overstood the finish by quite a bit , and so approached the finish at a very shallow angle, but definitely passed between OCX and the RC, on port tack. A bit ahead of Lightspeed FWIW. We sailied Course 4 S - W - R - L - F, following a number of others in our division.

Super nice day on the water, though the 16 kts at our finish and the 20kts reaching home with our 150% #1 were quite a bit more than advertised. I'm not used to such short legs -- setting the kite at those reaching leg angles did not seem like it was worth it for a sym boat. I'm surprised though that the J92S did not set. Perhaps the RC gave us the reaching DW course to keep us out of the crewed fleets traffic pattern.

Pat Broderick (USSA Race Officer/PRO for some SSS races) here. If you think you finished, but were missed, contact Bobbi (BYC PRO) with the time you finished and the boats ahead/behind/alongside. If everything's okay with the course you sailed they'll probably "plug" you in between those boats' times, taking your reported time into consideration if it matches their times for the other boats. RCs miss finishers frequently and the only way they can rectify things is to find out where the missing boat finished and "plug" it in. As a frequent shorthanded racer I know how difficult it can be to record things, especially if there's traffic and it's blowing stink. I keep a pen in my foulie jacket pocket and use my hand for a note pad. -- Pat

solosailor
11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Course 4 S - W - R - L - F,Shorthanded Fast (Class C) did course 3: S-W-R-L-W-L-F

BobJ
11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Pogs, Shorty 1 was course 3 (incl. you); Shorty 2 was course 4. I think Dirk had another issue - he headed back to Richmond after rounding the leeward mark the second time.

pogen
11-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Well great. I guess as I passed the RC at the start saw the "4" flag but that was intended for the next fleet.

Lightspeed
11-09-2014, 09:40 PM
A bit ahead of Lightspeed FWIW. We sailied Course 4 S - W - R - L - F, following a number of others in our division..

Shorthand 1 "C" was course 3 S-W-R-L-W-L-F. I was still heading to W.

dhusselman
11-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Pogs, Shorty 1 was course 3 (incl. you); Shorty 2 was course 4. I think Dirk had another issue - he headed back to Richmond after rounding the leeward mark the second time.

I had a small cut in my jib and decided that it was not worth finishing and making it worse.

Great venue for a race and I'm looking forward to the next one....

Dirk - TIJD - First 30JK

BobJ
11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Yep, course flag goes up with the warning, which was the start for us. She announced it on the radio though and will likely do that again next time.

Do you know that I can control both the stock market and the wind? Yep. To make the stock market tank I just have to put more money in it - works every time. To make the wind blow >16 knots, all I have to do is put the genoa on the furler the night before the race, then not take it off. I was looking brilliant on the first lap, then by the time I was headed to the windward mark the second time, I was well-and-truly screwed. The rinky-dink autopilot couldn't handle it so I did this really neat pirouette at the leeward mark - you really should have seen it! I'm glad we had wind though.

Gamayun
11-09-2014, 11:19 PM
What a great day it was! Very pleasantly surprised to see 20+ knots even though it made for a fast spin around the marks. Thanks, Bob, for the motivating influence.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread by asking about the following. Since there had been a suggestion about resubmitting my PHRF to account for a spinnaker, I was curious if my PHRF is a bit off based on this document: http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/DARoot/Offshore/PHRF/August%202011%20Current%20Base%20Handicap%20Class% 20Hi%20Lo%20Average.pdf, which indicates that the lowest reported handicap (from 2005 through 2011) for a Freedom 38 was 153 (mine is 141). What do you think?

And for those who saw the dingbat tack at the finish today, it has also occurred to me that it's not the rating, but the fact that I need to learn how to sail better. I can take that, too ;-)

BobJ
11-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I would absolutely point the committee to that data. PHRF ratings are based on "observed performance" but Freedom 38's are rarely raced and there's not much for the committee to go on. They might want you to race a bit more and then appeal your rating, since they prefer to have some local data to base it on. I would still ask though.

Because of our typical conditions and the fact that most sailboats like, well, WIND - NorCal PHRF tends to rate boats a tick faster than other regions. You probably won't get 153 but you should do better than 141. If they set it at 150 you'll be even with the Moore 24's (good luck with that!)

Keep it at or below 150 though - that's the cutoff for the Solo Tahiti Race that's been rolling around in my head for the last several years. The diving in the Tuamotus is supposed to be awesome . . .

Daydreamer
11-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I have to agree it was a beautiful and challenging day. This was also my first race. I hanked on the genoa as well and it was perfect for the start, however my line took me just outside the mark for the start and I had to tack to make it through the gate. Had to do it again at the windward mark as well, DOH!

The first reach went well and rounded ok. On the way to the leeward mark I could feel things picking up, more weather helm and trying to corkscrew off the swell.

As I rounded the leeward mark I was maxed out for flying the genny. I am pretty much topped out at 14 knots close hauled. I decided to stick with it and hope the wind didn't increase. WRONG! I tacked to port, putting me on starboard, to make for the finish and things started to deteriorate. I couldn't get sheeted in all the way and I couldn't get enough grip with four turns on the winch, the tiller pilot was losing ground, I think the keel was seeing more air than water at this point! I cleated the jib sheet and climbed up to the windward side to get ahold of the tiller and try to control the jybe that was coming. Wound up hove-to right in front of someone on starboard making for the finish. Turned downwind to blanket the genoa to get it down but it kept getting wind from every angle. I run a downhaul so I let the halyard go and pulled it down, turned to starboard reach to slow things down a bit so i could crawl foreword to drag the sail out from under the boat. Got that tied down and started making way for the finish, except I wasn't sure where that was. With the fog rolling in the committee boat kept disappearing! I watched my bearings and worked my way there under main only. Finished, thanked the race committee, and headed back to Berkeley.

My initial plan was to hang out and visit at BYC but it looked like lots of folks were heading home so I decided to do the same. Put the boat on the trailer and got home in Arnold by 17:30

As always there is more to learn, and trust that instinct that says change sail while you can!

Can't wait to do it again!

See you all in December

Wylieguy
11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Well great. I guess as I passed the RC at the start saw the "4" flag but that was intended for the next fleet.

Pat here again. Yes, the flag you saw as you started was for the next division. Your course flag was displayed during your Prep Period. It's always a good idea to be close enough to the committee boat to visually see the course flag, but that can be difficult for a whole bunch of reasons, especially if you're singlehanding and busy with not running into something. I'm not sailing this series, so I don't know if the RC was using the radio to announce things, but if they were, they should have announced your course #.

I think they're probably "rolling" the starts, that is to say with no break between divisions. The gun that goes off for the division in front of you is your warning. That's when the RC usually announces the course over the VHF.

You course flag comes down at the 4-minute sound - 1 minute before you start. The next division flag goes up with your starting gun.

Sometimes RCs will just leave course and "P" flags up if they don't plan to change things.

Philpott
11-10-2014, 04:04 PM
I sailed with the Commodore. Yup. Al's boat is still in the yard so he graciously agreed to sail on Dura Mater. The Commodore came prepared with pages of gentle wind predictions: lovely light and medium green colors across the pages. I came with course descriptions. Research did us no good at all. Trouble is, we're both singlehanders and Bandicoot doesn't have a headsail. So there was some luffing of headsail at the finish with me expecting Al to sheet in the jib (I had this delusion that crew help with that sort of thing, but ... he's a singlehander! He was respecting my singlehanded self) and him wondering why we weren't crossing the line faster ("keep going! head toward the pin!" jib sheet? what jib sheet?). Plus neither of us paid attention to the course when it was announced ("Do you know what it is?" "No! Don't you?"). Al finally figured out our course when we were engulfed in fog north of the committee boat ("do you see it?" "No, do you see it? It has to be somewhere over that way!"). All of which meant we approached the finish on a beam reach in 18 knots. Beam reach on the Olympic Circle @ 2 in the afternoon: If I'd been alone I would've reefed long before, but then Dura Mater would've come in last. Instead, because I was doublehanding, I came in ahead of that 22 foot boat. I learned some things (before the race lay down on the foredeck and stare up along the luff of the furler in order to evaluate whether or not you should loosen the jib halyard - maybe, maybe not; consider carefully the placement of the jibcars - maybe, maybe not). Al was noncommital about all decisions. I made the excellent decision to not put up my genoa. Oh yeah, I don't have a genoa. There was still a lot of weather helm on that 100% at the end. Sorry you all didn't come into the yacht club afterwards. It was ... well, the door was locked. Maybe next time.

BobJ
11-10-2014, 04:34 PM
I love it! I was over at BMC on Friday, saw Al's boat on a trailer and thought "Al is creative but this will be a neat trick." I'm glad you got him out there anyway.

It was so early when we finished that I definitely would have come into BYC had it not been so windy and cold for the later trip back to Richmond (I sound like a wimp). We'll see what happens next time. Even if the club isn't open, we can raft up and pass around half-full water bottles or something. For sure we need to have an after-party on March 1st. Suggestions welcome.

Gamayun
11-10-2014, 04:48 PM
It's great to read everyone's comments on the race. What fun to sail vicariously with the rest of you. Just one year ago I started racing Kynntana, not sure this was my thing. My crew on Sunday (Barry, who has been on a sailboat a couple of times and has never raced before) had no idea what to expect and just assumed I knew everything there is about sailing. Ha! We got there just as the gun for the first start went off, which was cutting it a little close. I was still trying to figure out where the course was so didn't look to see who else was around. It took a while after the start to be even sure of the windward mark! Thankfully, there were boats ahead of me (let's hope that's not always the case...) and I was able to keep relatively on course though each turn was fraught with "is that the next mark?" as Barry wondered why this wouldn't be better known by all the skippers in a race. (Was it just me or was the BYC map a tad confusing?) I had also told him that we would have really light wind and might even drift for a while. Well, that certainly did not happen and every time the wind inched up, I was more and more surprised. So much for forecasting. By the time we were heading back to Treasure Island, it was gusting to 23 knots and we were feeling a little over-powered. One fortuitous thing that happened is that I had told him the story about some skipper running through the Berkeley Pier and sinking his boat. On our fast, wet and fun return back to the slip, and being deeper into Berkeley Circle than is usual, Kynntana was moving like a horse heading to the barn when Barry asked "what are those things sticking out of the water? Is that the pier?" Yikes! At least two other boats ahead of us sailing toward Alameda had to make the same course correction ;-) It's good to have crew who pay attention to your stories...

I am really looking forward to December when Beccie joins me. The short-handed sailing bug bit her bad when we did the Great Vallejo Race and surfed four-foot swells on San Pablo Bay. Maybe we'll stop in at the BYC next time for hors d'oeuvres. Can someone make sure they keep the door open for us??

BobJ
11-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Was it just me or was the BYC map a tad confusing?

This is good experience for us SSS skippers. Our races, around government buoys and big objects like islands or bridges is one way of doing it, but what was done on Sunday is the norm for more competitive racing. Some observations:

The R/C adjusted the start/finish line as the wind filled in, so it would be square to the wind with the pin end slightly favored. This is so boats will not pile up at the committee boat end. The R/C will also adjust the length of the line for the sizes of the fleets.

Via radio they then talked to the mark set boat to make sure the windward mark was directly upwind. Once they agreed and set it, I took a range from the pin end of the line to the windward mark in case I lost track of it. From the pin, the WW mark was right in line with the north tower of the GGB. This would do me no good since the fog obscured even the tops of the bridge towers, but I tried. However once set, Bobbi (PRO) announced the magnetic bearing and range to the WW mark - a user-friendly thing to do. Had the wind shifted, a postponement would likely have been called and the course adjusted.

The more competitive skippers checked the line for the favored end and sailed part way up the first beat to see which side of the course was favored. I noticed the wind was uneven down the line. At the boat end the line was was pretty square, but port was enough favored at the pin end to consider a gutsy port tack start. Poor planning and traffic prevented this and I ended up getting a lousy start. Greg and the Archie 35 both nailed it.

By the way, I noticed many shorthanders setting up for a barging start. In a more competitive fleet, about half of you would have been shut out at the committee boat.

The wing/reaching and leeward marks were similarly set. In response to a skipper's request, Bobbi announced the approximate position of the reaching mark on the radio. The illustration in the SI's was a good representation, just obviously not to scale. I suspect the "C" and "G" marks were left in the instructions as backups in case the wind shifted substantially after the first start or two. Also be aware that the course can be shortened after the start, by moving the committee boat (or using the mark set boat) and taking the finishes at an earlier mark of the course. This is all announced with flags (at the previous mark) and probably on the radio.

Announcing the courses and start sequence on the radio is not often done but makes the racing much more user-friendly - I really appreciated that.

Perhaps some others can chime in with their observations. Again, this is all great experience.

Lightspeed
11-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Again, thanks to Bob for the idea. This is a great venue to practice and see how the buoy guys do it. My comments are.

1. BYC does not require VHF checking but the committee boat does enjoy a sail by and a wave before the start.

2. Great race to practice right of way rules. Nothing like being on Starboard tack thinking you have the right of way, only to look up and see a fleet of spinnakers on different poles coming at you.

3. Would be fun to jaw somewhere after each race.

dhusselman
11-11-2014, 11:15 AM
This race was well managed. Thank you BYC race committee! I really appreciate the vhf announcements, count downs, etc sailing single-handed.
Next time I will put a waypoint on my plotter when passing the marks so that I don't look for them the second time around...
I went to the "wrong" LW mark and lost a lot of distance. In this case it did not make a difference as I decided to give up due to a tear in my jib anyway.
There was too much wind to sail to the finish risking bigger damage to the jib...

These races are great to improve boat speed and handling sailing a new boat.

Great race and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Gamayun
11-11-2014, 11:27 AM
This is good experience for us SSS skippers. Our races, around government buoys and big objects like islands or bridges is one way of doing it, but what was done on Sunday is the norm for more competitive racing.

This is the main reason that I've been hesitant to do any buoy racing. I appreciate all the feedback in your and others' posts. It truly helps new sailors figure out bay racing because I can tell you from my research into this, it's mostly a learn-as-you-go process. Just trying to find coordinates for the named YRA buoys has been a feat in the past.

On the one hand, it was great to hear the radio announcement for the course number, because I was expecting to have to focus on the flags; on the other, it makes me complacent because I never did look at the flags. I also did not have the right VHF channel queued up and missed when they called the bearing to the windward mark. That would have been helpful information. Anyway, this series will be great practice for all that and more.

Gamayun
11-11-2014, 11:33 AM
3. Would be fun to jaw somewhere after each race.

Can we make this a reality? Say a Wednesday or Thursday early evening-ish following the race? I'm generally at Treasure Island either one of these nights so anywhere near Alameda could be good. Suggestions?

Lightspeed
11-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I was thinking more right after the race. Bob, Al and I are at RYC and usually room at the guest dock, but it is the opposite end of the bay for SF and Alameda boats. BYC has munchies after the race but guest dock is 4-5 boats at best. Maybe a short raft up behind Angle Island?

BobJ
11-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Knowing this group, you'll have to post where and when and just see who shows up. I think a central, land-based spot in the late afternoon might work best, both for fairness and to include those from out of the area. It could be BYC if they are willing to host a few of us, or a nearby restaurant/pub.

Dazzler
11-11-2014, 01:05 PM
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread by asking about the following. Since there had been a suggestion about resubmitting my PHRF to account for a spinnaker, I was curious if my PHRF is a bit off based on this document: http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/DARoot/Offshore/PHRF/August%202011%20Current%20Base%20Handicap%20Class% 20Hi%20Lo%20Average.pdf, which indicates that the lowest reported handicap (from 2005 through 2011) for a Freedom 38 was 153 (mine is 141). What do you think?

First, welcome to PHRF racing where NO ONE is happy with their rating.
NCPHRF Base Rating for Freedom 38 is 138
Per the NCPHRF website the current rating for KYNNTANA is 141 and says "NO" for spinnakers. No DW (downwind rating) is listed. So, it looks like you were given credit for no spinnakers.

FYI, there has been a Freedom 38 racing out of Santa Barbara for many years called PSYCHE'S SONG. They do use a spinnaker. SoCal PHRF uses three ratings for different types of courses: BOUY (windward-leward, no reaching); RLC (random leg courses with reaching legs; and OTW ("off the wind" similar to our DW ratings). The SoCal PHRF rating for PSYCHE'S SONG is:
BOUY: 150
RLC: 132
OTW: 144

Gamayun
11-11-2014, 01:53 PM
First, welcome to PHRF racing where NO ONE is happy with their rating.
NCPHRF Base Rating for Freedom 38 is 138
Per the NCPHRF website the current rating for KYNNTANA is 141 and says "NO" for spinnakers. No DW (downwind rating) is listed. So, it looks like you were given credit for no spinnakers.

FYI, there has been a Freedom 38 racing out of Santa Barbara for many years called PSYCHE'S SONG. They do use a spinnaker. SoCal PHRF uses three ratings for different types of courses: BOUY (windward-leward, no reaching); RLC (random leg courses with reaching legs; and OTW ("off the wind" similar to our DW ratings). The SoCal PHRF rating for PSYCHE'S SONG is:
BOUY: 150
RLC: 132
OTW: 144

Thank you for that! I was considering buying Psyche's Song before I chose the boat formerly known as Touch of Grey (ugh), which had been berthed in San Diego. I never thought of looking up Psyche's Song's rating. That's very cool. I'm trying to not sound too whiny, but I do feel that Kynntana is closer to the 150 range for buoy racing because her upwind pointing ability, umm, kinda sucks. I guess it all gets averaged out in the end because she makes up for it when sailing off-wind.

Lightspeed
11-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Nice pic of Greg & Bob? In online Lat 38 of BYC Midwinters...

BobJ
11-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Yep. So just for fun, who has the right-of-way here?

todd22123
11-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Yep. So just for fun, who has the right-of-way here?

My interpretation is both on starboard, Outsider is leeward and has right of way.

Todd

Gamayun
11-12-2014, 11:38 PM
My interpretation is both on starboard, Outsider is leeward and has right of way.

Todd

Huh? The outside boat (sail #1000) is windward and would have to give way to the blue boat. Right?

BobJ
11-13-2014, 08:55 AM
That's why it was fun to ask the question. Hint: Back up both boats a few boat lengths (when the right-of-way decision had to be made).

This also bears on Rick's point 2 in post #97.

Gamayun
11-13-2014, 09:50 AM
That's why it was fun to ask the question. Hint: Back up both boats a few boat lengths (when the right-of-way decision had to be made).

This also bears on Rick's point 2 in post #97.

OK, I get it now when the image is backed up a bit...

BobJ
11-13-2014, 10:15 AM
The rules wonks will probably jump on me for this, but a way to visualize it that's quicker/easier: With two boats on the same tack, the one that's close-hauled almost always has the right-of-way since by definition, it is leeward of the other boat. (I say "almost always" because there could be other boats or obstructions in play.)

That said, if the boat coming downwind has his kite up and is on the ragged edge of disaster, as the close-hauled boat I will often alter course a few degrees so he doesn't have to. This isn't just to be nice - if the other boat loses it and rounds up/down, I might be the boat he hits before he regains control. That said and that said, the stand-on boat has an obligation to hold his course, so my adjustment is early and obvious and is usually made with eye contact to the other helmsman.

skatzman
11-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Good explanation and real world thinking in post # 111. Collisions, no matter who is at fault, are always slow and cast a pall on the day's good times. Bring 'em back alive, and the boat in one piece. That few seconds to avoid a hit won't influence your race time over the course.

Philpott
11-22-2014, 07:51 PM
FYI here are the Olympic Circle coordinates.
http://www.berkeleyyc.org/system/files/files/racing/2013/Chowder-Courses-2013.pdf

dhusselman
11-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Bummer, I will miss the next race as I will be in Europe for work. I really enjoyed the first one....

Dirk - "TIJD" First 30JK

solosailor
11-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Bummer.... see you out there in Jan !

sunol
12-02-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm signed up for Dec. 14th in the shorthanded division. I'm a Berkeley YC member, but I'm hoping to do a few SSS races in 2015 and will likely join SSS as well when 2015 reg opens.
I'll be in the Tartan 4100 ROXANNE doublehanded. She's a heavy girl with a hack for a captain, so take mercy on us out there. ;)

Mike

BobJ
12-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Great Mike - we look forward to seeing you out there. What color is Roxy's hull?

I'm fiddling with the results today for race #1. Segregating the SH and DH boats and ranking them on average speed is velly eeenteresting. To finish this, I need to know whether the following boats raced SH or DH last time: Summertime Dream, Critical Mass, Elise, Starbuck and Invictus, OR I need an e-mail addy for Invictus (I have the others) and I'll ask them myself.

sunol
12-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks Bob!

Blue hull. Keeps me busy scrubby off dock marks when pulling in single handed. :)

PM'd you the email for the Fleet Captain at BYC who might be have email for Invictus.

sunol
12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Enjoyed the midwinters, but that huge windshift on the downwind leg was brutal! Hope to try again in January. :)

BobJ
12-16-2014, 10:22 AM
The sailing was great (hey, we were out racing in mid-December!) but I also enjoyed the chance to putter around for a couple hours, meeting some new skippers and chatting with friends. I didn't get over to Roxanne - maybe next time - it's a great-looking dark blue Tartan. :)

That "downwind" leg was interesting. Fortunately I flew the 3A instead of the 2A; the reach just got tighter and tighter. When it was time for the drop the breeze came up, requiring a huge bear-away to have any hope of keeping the kite dry on the douse. That let Mirthmaker and Stink Eye slip by on the inside.

Thanks again to the R/C for hanging in there through all the shifts and finally getting a race off.

sunol
12-16-2014, 10:39 AM
When it was time for the drop the breeze came up, requiring a huge bear-away to have any hope of keeping the kite dry on the douse.

Yep. If I had more balls I would have dropped the halyard and kept the course. As it was, I beared away and did a safe drop. Bummer.

Ragtime was looking great out there as well! We were keeping an eye on you as I told my buddy that you knew what you were doing and we might learn something. ;)

Philpott
12-16-2014, 10:59 PM
The sailing was great (hey, we were out racing in mid-December!) but I also enjoyed the chance to putter around for a couple hours, meeting some new skippers and chatting with friends. I didn't get over to Roxanne - maybe next time - it's a great-looking dark blue Tartan. :)

That "downwind" leg was interesting. Fortunately I flew the 3A instead of the 2A; the reach just got tighter and tighter. When it was time for the drop the breeze came up, requiring a huge bear-away to have any hope of keeping the kite dry on the douse. That let Mirthmaker and Stink Eye slip by on the inside.

Thanks again to the R/C for hanging in there through all the shifts and finally getting a race off.

Edit: Can anyone access the next page of this thread? I know there are more posts but I can't get to them. Note you'll have to post elsewhere (like up in the "Forum Troubles" thread) so we can see your answer.

Hi, bob, aha! the forum is back! Thank you, david, for doing this is your (free) time after working all day

Gamayun
12-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm signed up for Dec. 14th in the shorthanded division. I'm a Berkeley YC member, but I'm hoping to do a few SSS races in 2015 and will likely join SSS as well when 2015 reg opens.
I'll be in the Tartan 4100 ROXANNE doublehanded. She's a heavy girl with a hack for a captain, so take mercy on us out there. ;)

Mike

Beautiful boat! Hope you had fun at the Midwinters. We'll be looking forward to seeing you out there for the SSS races and at BYC for the post race parties.

BobJ
12-20-2014, 08:05 PM
This is Roxy, right? That's a big kite for a stretch-and-blow doublehanded. Let me know if you decide to try it next time and I'll sell tickets!

sunol
12-21-2014, 10:25 PM
This is Roxy, right? That's a big kite for a stretch-and-blow doublehanded. Let me know if you decide to try it next time and I'll sell tickets!

Ha! Yeah... I didn't notice they put that up there. Gotta be the first picture I've seen of her trying to take the spinnaker upwind. ;)

brianb
01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Temerity working out to weather in Sunday's BYC Mid winters. Note fine sail trim!

pogen
01-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Temerity working out to weather in Sunday's BYC Mid winters. Note fine sail trim!

Ouch. .

Philpott
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM

The sails might be waffly, but the boat itself was shiny and clean. Once across the line, Elise took off like a rocket, only to be rebuked by the wind gods when they decided to change from southwest to north then east and then - just when she needed them to STAY PUT! - due south, right on her nose. Alas! Nothing to be done about those changling winds. Pat Broderick taught me many things: get new sails, clean the bottom of your boat, unload several hundred pounds and add tell tales. Well! That explains everything! And while floating by on Outsider, Greg Nelsen commented upon Dura Mater's dirty rudder: It felt like the old days in Manhattan, walking past a construction site.

BobJ
01-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but DM and Rags won the party!

brianb
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but DM and Rags won the party!

Wish we had made the party but enjoyed sailed all the way back to Brisbane at 5+ kts, nice breeze after all the motoring and waiting to get to the start line.

solosailor
01-13-2015, 10:04 AM
And while floating by on Outsider, Greg Nelsen commented upon Dura Mater's dirty rudderI did? Might have been another white guy.

BobJ
01-13-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm told by others that you had a very vocal helmsman.

Edit per below: Yes, or crew. I know it's not your usual MO to take up boats with no steerageway or to point out dirty rudders.

solosailor
01-13-2015, 03:32 PM
might have been crew, not I

brianb
01-17-2015, 11:59 PM
There was a pretty vocal exchange at mark 1 when someone a few boat lengths ahead of me kept pointing at the mark and yelling, "the circle". I mentioned to him I did nt see any circle and then asked my crew about crop circles. The leading vessel raised the volume level a few notches as the whites of his eyes came into view.

BobJ
02-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Greetings, BYC Midwinter Shorthanded fleet skippers!

This Sunday (2/15) is the last race of our series (unless you qualify for the winners' race on March 1). SSS Commodore Al and I went together and got a gift for each of you (and your crew if DH), to say thanks for coming out and racing. It would be great if all of you could come into BYC after Sunday's race to get your gift (and have a beer, etc.) but we know that depends on the schedule/postponements etc. ALSO, it will be a two foot (I think) minus tide on Sunday afternoon.

Therefore, I will bring your gifts to the 3BF awards meeting this Wednesday night. Please find me at the meeting and I'll give it/them to you. Hint: I'll need to know your boat's hull color (well actually I already do).

Thanks again for doing the series!

BobJ
02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Regarding low tide this Sunday, it's a minus 0.3 feet at 1524 (in Berkeley). That's not as bad as I wrote above but still a problem for draftier boats.

It used to be that you'd stay fairly close to the Berkeley Pier and use the south entrance into the marina. Perhaps a current Berkeley Marina inhabitant can confirm this.

Philpott
02-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Regarding low tide this Sunday, it's a minus 0.3 feet at 1524 (in Berkeley). That's not as bad as I wrote above but still a problem for draftier boats.

It used to be that you'd stay fairly close to the Berkeley Pier and use the south entrance into the marina. Perhaps a current Berkeley Marina inhabitant can confirm this.

Bob, you were really the organizing force behind so many singlehanders showing up to shorthand the Berkeley Midwins. Thank you for getting everybody psyched.

BobJ
02-17-2015, 10:34 PM
It was a bigger turn-out than I expected. We ended up with 20 shorthanders, and the nine-boat Shorthanded 2 was the largest division of starters last Sunday.

In retrospect I think it was good that Bobbi didn't specify singlehanded vs. doublehanded divisions and divided it by rating instead. Some boats switched during the series (racing solo for some and DH for others) and I think that flexibility was welcomed. It was very difficult to be competitive singlehanded on those short courses. I barely had the spinnaker up before it was time to take it down - it was a workout but really good practice.

Thanks again to all who came out.

Jonathan Gutoff
02-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Thank you Bob, I should have tried singlehanded for the last race. I'd be willing to go next year singlehanded but someone I know very well wouldn't like it.

BobJ
02-17-2015, 11:20 PM
I don't blame her - you and Chris make a great team and you sailed really well.

Philpott
02-18-2015, 08:43 AM
In retrospect I think it was good that Bobbi didn't specify singlehanded vs. doublehanded divisions and divided it by rating instead. Some boats switched during the series (racing solo for some and DH for others) and I think that flexibility was welcomed. .

I respectfully disagree (okay, maybe not so respectfully). I'll bet the people who switched from singlehanded to double did so just because sailing singlehanded against shorthanded is such a disadvantage. I will do it again next year, but only if there is a singlehanded fleet. I like people. Really I do. At the end of the sail.

Philpott
02-18-2015, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Philpott;10557]

BobJ
02-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Now that shorthanders have put a good number of boats on the line for this series, we can ask for a singlehanded division next time. The division splits are BYC's call. We agree - it wasn't easy competing with doublehanders on such short courses.

I just saw a poster for the Delta Ditch Run. RYC/SSC is offering PHRF divisions for shorthanders in this 67-mile downwind romp to Stockton. Due to the need for constant navigation in the narrow river it's not a race I would do solo. DH with a good navigator/trimmer would be a kick though. It's the same date as one of the OYRA races but if you're not doing OYRA this year, check it out:

'Da Ditch's 25 Year Anniversary (http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/9298)

Daydreamer
02-18-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks Bob J for getting the word out on this series. I had a blast! Thanks a lot for the hats, Bob and Al, my wife immediately confiscated the green one!

As far as switching from single to doublehanded, I did so to accommodate a friend wanting to join me for a race, and my wife wanting to spend valentines weekend with me. I don't think either provided an advantage. Though I do see it could be otherwise with more experienced crew.

I didn't go into this expecting trophies. I wanted to sail, and learn to sail better.

Next!

Philpott
02-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Thank you Bob, I should have tried singlehanded for the last race. I'd be willing to go next year singlehanded but someone I know very well wouldn't like it.

Perhaps someone we all know very well needs her own boat. Maybe a pretty little Alerion with a blue hull? That would earn her points in Johnston heaven.

BobJ
02-19-2015, 12:52 PM
That's the real one - a Herreshoff Alerion 26 - vs. the more popular and also shapely Schumacher AE28. Nice!

Not all my boats have been blue - here's my last one, still being happily raced in Kaneohe Bay by the guy who bought it from me in 2002: