PDA

View Full Version : A survey is required?

svShearwater
04-22-2015, 07:27 AM
I was just looking through the 2014 race docs and noticed a requirement for a marine survey. Has SHTP ever rejected the entry of a boat due to a survey? Or rejected the entry of a boat due to the structural integrity or design? Going off of recent entries, I'm going to guess the answer is no. Did all of the 2014 entries really provide surveys with their entry? Has that requirement been around for awhile?

BobJ
04-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Yes to all. Otherwise it would be possible to enter an unseaworthy boat that merely meets the equipment requirements.

The survey required in 2.04(f) doesn't need to be current but the inspector has 10.04 to fall back on if he sees a problem.

pogen
04-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Interesting, PacCup does not require a survey and doubt if Transpac does as well. I don't know if a survey would really mean that much for safety. Is someone going to actually read it? I have a survey from when I bought my boat , it cost $500 I think...

Probably a recent rig inspection by a qualified pro would be more in order.

BobJ
04-22-2015, 05:47 PM
I made exactly that change for the 2010 race - a rig inspection instead of a survey. It didn't work very well and Rob changed it back for 2012.

The SHTP R/C may need an objective basis to deny entry to an unseaworthy boat. The survey is that basis. If the report is old or doesn't reflect the current condition of the boat, the R/C can request a new one.

On my watch I read every survey report and inquired about any major issues noted in it.

ronnie simpson
06-03-2015, 10:35 PM
So does anyone have any idea whether or not a survey will be required for the 2016 race?

With a glassed-in keel (cal 2-29), brand-new rudder and thorough rig pull/ re-rig along with thorough preparation throughout, a survey seems an unnecessary expense, especially given that the survey doesn't even have to be current.

solosailor
06-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Surveys have been required for most SHTP years from what I recall...... I got one in 2000 for the race for Starbuck since I didn't have one done at purchase.

ronnie simpson
06-09-2015, 08:10 PM
i guess you're right. i'll quit my bitching and get inaugural SHTP vet mike pyzel to survey the boat for me.

bizirka
05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Can anyone help me find a surveyor that will just do this for a a case of beer :)

Seriously, are there any buddy deals out there that someone can pass along - the survey is important but a painful expense!

The Smokester
05-26-2016, 12:42 PM
On my survey, made on purchase, there was an additional expense of hauling the boat.