PDA

View Full Version : Engine sealling and crate shipping

Warriors Wish
05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Can we please revisit these two topics.

I have a saildrive. The prop does occasionally spin when the engine is in neutral, but not always. This could be because one of the blades has failed to close and banding would fix the problem. How have the saildrives been been sealed in the past?

When and where will the crate be assembled for shipping to Hawaii?

Thanks, Don

BobJ
05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't have a SailDrive, but in '06 the R/C wired and sealed the gear shift mechanism on the side of my transmission. Then for good measure and to avoid a DSQ disaster, I put an additional binding on the cockpit shift lever.

Regarding the crates, I heard that Haulback offered to take all our extra gear (whataguy). To offset the extra weight he's taking an inflatable anchor and closed-cell-foam chain, and has also long-boarded the bottom.

If his offer doesn't pan out though, I'd still like to participate in the crate operation. I don't want to coordinate it, but I'll help. Rob (Tiger Beetle) has coordinated this in the past but isn't going this year. Maybe Alan could head it up?

tiger beetle
05-20-2008, 07:45 AM
If his offer doesn't pan out though, I'd still like to participate in the crate operation. I don't want to coordinate it, but I'll help. Rob (Tiger Beetle) has coordinated this in the past but isn't going this year. Maybe Alan could head it up?

Setting up the shipping crate requires a certain amount of coordination, takes a day to construct and load the crates, to be delivered to Hawaiian Express in Hayward the next day via pickup truck. The single most difficult thing to find is a way to lift the crates up into the bed of the pickup truck; if a forklift is available that's the best. In 2004 and 2006 we built the boxes in a friend's shop and used a chain hoist on an overhead beam to do the same thing.

I will happily supply phone numbers and info to whomever would like to take on coordinating the shipping crates.

Other requirements: a street address in Hanalei to receive the crates, possibly Race Committee might volunter their place this year as a drop-off point.

The boxes are built on top of pallets (we built the pallets directly into the crate floor, the crates have been 1/2" plywood and 2x2" vertice nailers into which the plywood floor, sides, and top, are screwed using drywall or decking screws. A 4'x4'x4' cube seemed to work well for size, outboard motors should go on the bottom layer, with inflatable dinghies stacked like sausages on top of the motors. Outboards must have all gasoline and oil removed from the engine - bring replacement outboard motor oil with you over on the race.

The crates go over on the Matson ship to Honolulu, then barge to Lihue, then by truck to Hanalei. A word of caution on crate delivery in Hanalei - do not let the fork lift drive over the front lawn - it will leave enormous ruts in the lawn that require repair afterwards! Hawaiian Express will supply the truck company name/number in Lihue.

Talk with Hawaiian Express in advance to learn the Matson sailing schedule, and plan on having the crates at Hawaiian Express 2 weeks before race start.

If anyone would like further information, let me know. A bunch of the racers had fun working on the box project, and it wasn't that big a hassle to drive the crates to Hayward from Alameda.

- rob

Warriors Wish
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Rob,

The 2 weeks before hand will not make it practical for me. I might ship from NC or rethink what I will need for the return trip. Don

tiger beetle
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks Rob,

The 2 weeks before hand will not make it practical for me. I might ship from NC or rethink what I will need for the return trip. Don

Before writing the whole thing off, give Hawaiian Express a call and find out from them how much time they believe they will need to have a crate/box waiting for you in Hanalei.
http://www.hawaiianexpressinc.com/

In 2006 there were two Matson sailings a week (Wednesday and Friday a boat left California), and I believe the crates were trucked from San Francisco to Los Angeles to get on the ship (which takes time), then it's a 4-5 day crossing to Honolulu, then the transfer to barge to Lihue, next day or so the box can be driven over to Hanalei. If you take 2 weeks to get to Hanalei, allowing 3 weeks for the box to beat you there may not be enough time, but perhaps things are different now.

- rob

Eric Thomas
05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Don,

Wondering when you are headed out to California? and Which Marina you plan to set up the boat at? I am headed out roughly the 29th from Minnesota.

Eric
Polar Bear

Warriors Wish
05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Eric I plan on leaving NC on June 23 allowing 4 days driving time and 1 emergency day. I plan on staying at Marina Village and if the facilities are as friendly and professional as the dockmaster I would recommend it. Definitely worth a phone call. 510 521 0905

I have fitted the F250 with two extra 60 gallon diesal tanks and plan on limiting my stops. I can only drive daylight hours because of wide load restrictions so 11 hours a day actual road time is probably the best I can do.

The clock is ticking..........Don

haulback
05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
The best way to ensure all stuff shipped over beats you to Hawaii is to take longer sailing there yourself......at least, that was my strategy last time.

As for Haulback converting to equipment barge, I will only accept packages of banknotes as freight...preferably large denominations......If I can line up a full load, would happily bypass finish line and continue on for another circle

Wild accusation by Ragtime! regarding boat prep fails to take into consideration Haulback's amount of wetted surface, which is approximately equal to acreage (hectares in metric) of a moderately sized Wyoming ranch.

Jim/Haulback

BobJ
05-21-2008, 04:35 PM
As for Haulback converting to equipment barge, I will only accept packages of banknotes as freight...preferably large denominations......If I can line up a full load, would happily bypass finish line and continue on for another circle

Wild accusation by Ragtime! regarding boat prep fails to take into consideration Haulback's amount of wetted surface, which is approximately equal to acreage (hectares in metric) of a moderately sized Wyoming ranch.

Jim/Haulback

Methinks Sleddog was right!

From the Saga of SPARKY and KITTY MAMBO, by Sleddog:

Haulback is a pirate ship
The hull's as fast as polished steel.
Her captain sailed 'round the World
And lassoed logs for his next meal.

By the way (to sidetrack Don's thread even further), how's the knee coming along, Sled? Did you ever christen the Vicodinghy?

sleddog
05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
By the way (to sidetrack Don's thread even further), how's the knee coming along, Sled? Did you ever christen the Vicodinghy?

Bob,
Thanks for asking. I've graduated from the Sofa to Nowhere to actually sailing. Nevermind the "sailing" is tied stern first to the CG buoy anchored off the Wharf. That way, I can be below making a PB&J, nip topsides, crawl to the foredeck, and practice jibe the spinnaker every 15 minutes, without worry about hitting something.

The carbon fiber knee brace didn't take a PHRF hit, so we are on track . The chief safety inspector was here with his cocker spaniel. I recommend laying in a supply of dog biscuits for Bridgette for any of you still to undergo your inspection.

The ocean was more white than blue today. Our local wx buoy was reporting 30, gusting 40 for the last 12 hours. I've never met HAULBACK (isn't that pirate terminology?) but fear we may all be in danger when HAULBACK's stern wave, generated by "wetted surface the size of a Wyoming ranch" threatens to swamp competitors. Pirate indeed. Beware the stern line Dr. HAULBACK may offer. It's strictly "no pay, no cure."

~sleddog

Ergo
05-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Sleddog,

Bridget is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel not a Cocker. She likes raw beef and bacon, extra crispy.

Ergo

BobJ
06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I got a quote from Hawaiian Express:

To ship a 45 cu ft crate weighing 180# to Kauai and deliver it to the Hanalei house, the quote is $484. Don Gray got a similar quote from someone else.

This (plus the material to build the crate) is too rich for my blood, even splitting it with another racer (I would have needed just over half of the space).

I'm going to try to cut back and carry my stuff aboard.

If someone else wants to pick up the ball (hammer?) and build crates, "go for it." They need to be delivered to Hawaiian Express in Hayward by 7/1 or 7/2 to insure delivery in Hanalei the week of 7/21. They would probably still make it if delivered to Hayward 7/7 or 7/8 (just before heading for the CYC).