PDA

View Full Version : Delta Ditch Run Shorthanded

BobJ
05-19-2015, 02:37 PM
I know we're all focused on Saturday's SH Farallones race but then what? There's nothing on the SSS schedule for June. Well here's what: The 25th Anniversary of the Delta Ditch Run!

There are singlehanded and doublehanded divisions - yes there are! Because it's the 25th Anniversary, SSC/RYC are giving out very nice awards. The party is great but I'm sure there's a dark corner of the Stockton Sailing Club where (allegedly) socially-challenged shorthanders can hide and discuss autopilots, etc. I last did the Ditch when I had the red boat and it was a blast - maybe it's time for another run.

A couple shorthanders are already signed up (one SH and one DH so far). If you join the entry list by the end of the month you can save a few bucks. The race is June 6th. Let us know here if you're signing up.

Here's the scoop. (http://www.stocktonsc.org/Delta_Ditch_Run.php)

Gamayun
05-20-2015, 05:14 PM
I've never been past Vallejo and that weekend is open so I'm possibly in. Is it generally an all downwind run on Saturday and then motor back on Sunday? The new AP has arrived, but is not installed yet, so it looks like a DH race for me. Had just been talking to Beccie about this, but not sure if she can go. Might need crew.

BobJ
05-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Yes, it's typically downwind for most of the 67 miles, with some reaching in the middle parts - the warm and mostly flat water sailing the Delta is known for. Crew is nice for studying the chart, since there are places to run aground through Suisun Bay and on up the river. It would be a pleasant trip on your boat.

Then yes, wind on the nose most of the way back. I'd probably stop in Benicia to break up the trip. There are plenty of nice restaurants and pubs within walking distance of the marina.

Gamayun
05-21-2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks. That is certainly a long run. I have registered, but not paid so I remain undecided, and would need to find crew. My usual DH crew decided to take a trip Houston to visit family since I had been wishy-washy when we had talked about it. Anyone interested? I could also post a crew request to the Stockton YC website. Sailing in warm water would be nice for once!

JohnS
05-21-2015, 01:32 PM
The DDR is a great run and great fun. It's almost worth it just to watch the melee of boats trying to get hoisted onto trailers at the finish. The esses in the mid section can get entertaining as you are likely to get there in mid-late afternoon when the wind is strong. Definitely stay in the channel (do not stray left after the Antioch bridge). I can't speak to the return as I have always done that at about 60 mph at midnight. What kind of boat do you have, Gamayun? (I could probably be available and would offer to crew but could not help with the return on Sunday and would hate to abandon you.)

Gamayun
05-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Thank you, John. I will let you know soon. I am still sitting on the fence, but leaning toward not going after thinking about it more today. I have a ton of boat projects that need to get finished so I can race offshore, but that means I need to stop sailing so much -- what a great problem to have, right? If I decide to do the DDR, then I don't mind motoring/sailing back by myself. It's during the long, downwind runs when my AP decides to go on its own walkabout with error codes that aren't even described in the manual.

Cheers,

Carliane
s/v Kynntana

Gamayun
05-26-2015, 10:25 AM
John, I have decided not to go. Next week I will start pulling apart the nav panel and installing AP and other stuff. Not sure if the boat will be put back together in time and don't want to add to the stress. Michael Jefferson is helping with the work; it is going great and I am guzzling the kool-aid ;)

Bob, are you still planning to go or will you be having some unexpected boat repairs? Very sorry to hear about the ramming...

BobJ
05-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Boat repairs. It isn't too bad - more of a glancing blow than a ramming.

("It's nothing but a flesh wound! Now come and get what's coming to you!")

Gamayun
05-27-2015, 12:05 AM
...("It's nothing but a flesh wound! Now come and get what's coming to you!")

Funny you should say this. I've never gotten the humor (or rather humour?) of Monty Python and had this quoted to me this past Saturday. Had to watch it on YouTube so now I can't feign cluelessness any longer.

But I am glad to hear that it was just glancing flesh wound ;)