PDA

View Full Version : New member

jamottep
05-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Good day,
My name is Philippe. I started sailing with the Redwood City sailing club in 2013. I've completed ASA101 to 104. I've sailed on their Merit 25 quite a bit, and enjoy single handling.

A bit more about me: I'm from Belgium, I'm in my mid 40s, I'm 6'6", married, father of one, work in IT.

My sailing experience is all in South Bay, small 25 ft boat, main and jib alone. No spinnaker experience yet.

I'd like to explore ocean crossing. There are a few schools that offer ASA106 but I'm being told that I should first check whether I'm sensitive to seasickness. I don't think I am but then I've never been on a small boat caught in heavy swell.

So ... I'd like to offer myself to anyone looking for crew. I want to learn more about sailing, single handling and sailboats in general.

In my current situation (working, married, father) I'm not sure how far I will take this but the idea of crossing oceans certainly has me dreaming ...

Let me know if anyone's interested in sharing their experience with a newbie. I'm open to cost sharing.

Philippe

Gamayun
05-27-2015, 12:16 AM
Welcome Philippe! Keep inquiring about crewing and you'll find boats. There will likely be plenty of opportunities once everyone knows you're looking. I may need crew on a trip back from Channel Islands in July. Will post here when I have details. As to seasickness, most everyone I know can be sensitive to it under the right circumstances. I haven't done any really long, offshore, single-hand passages, but my guess is that being able to tolerate living inside your own head for extended periods might be the true test of whether you're suited to it or not.

BobJ
05-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Instead of trying to live inside my own head for extended periods offshore (which is incredibly confusing), I'm working on reliable means to achieve OBE's:

Linky (http://www.wikihow.com/Have-an-Out-of-Body-Experience)

Method 1 is pretty reliable with the engine running (out of gear of course). Method 2 also works but my astral body ends up at the masthead and it's a long climb to reattach. I haven't yet tried Method 3. Method 4 is 100% reliable after 2-3 days offshore.

Philippe, are you sure you want to pursue singlehanded ocean sailing?

pogen
05-27-2015, 05:11 PM
I've been living almost exclusively inside my head for over 50 years and I can't really recommend it. Plus, I'm still not that great at sailing. At least the auditory hallucinations make for some light diversion.

I think Latitude 38 still maintains a crew list, you should also post on that, and also pressure-drop.us and even the crew list at Sailing Anarchy. Do what you can to get a ride on the Delta Ditch next weekend. If you can get your wife to drive and help ferry excess crew home, you will be doing a nice service.

brianb
05-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Hello Phillipe,
I keep a 34 ft boat in Brisbane, just north of SFO. I do a fair amount of mid week testing on the Bay of electronics. If you want to go for a 1 to 2 hour ride let me know. I go out at a variety of times to seek a variety of conditions. Sometimes the spinnaker goes up, depends on what I am up to.

Brian
s/v Redsky

jamottep
05-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Welcome Philippe!

Thank you.

I may need crew on a trip back from Channel Islands in July. Will post here when I have details.

How long would that trip back be? I'm interested and would need to plan with the boss.

... my astral body ends up at the masthead and it's a long climb to reattach ... Philippe, are you sure you want to pursue singlehanded ocean sailing?

Well, Yes. Although the literature about offshore sailing and singlehanded sailing aren't particularly painting a rosy picture. Pitchpoling, limit of positive stability, falling keels, suicide ... I'm not sure anymore.

I think Latitude 38 still maintains a crew list, you should also post on that, and also pressure-drop.us and even the crew list at Sailing Anarchy. Do what you can to get a ride on the Delta Ditch next weekend. If you can get your wife to drive and help ferry excess crew home, you will be doing a nice service.

I took a peak on latitude38 ... there are already over 400 crew members listed. I created a profile on findacrew.net and never heard from it ...

Do those really work?

I keep a 34 ft boat in Brisbane, just north of SFO.

Thank you for the offer. How would we go about this? I can PM you my cell?

I realize everyone has a busy life and I'll admit that I'm asking for a lot. I'm reading a bit too (Nigel Calder's cruising handbook).

brianb
05-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Thank you for the offer. How would we go about this? I can PM you my cell?

I realize everyone has a busy life and I'll admit that I'm asking for a lot. I'm reading a bit too (Nigel Calder's cruising handbook).[/QUOTE]

Sure, you can PM me with a cell phone number.

To get a good sense of solo sailing you might consider, "The Martian".

BobJ
05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Pitchpoling, limit of positive stability, falling keels, suicide ... I'm not sure anymore.

Extremely rare occurrences. I think you'll fit right in. We have our awards meeting for the Singlehanded Farallones next Wednesday night at the Oakland Yacht Club (which isn't in Oakland, it's in Alameda) at 7:30. If you can make it, come on over and introduce yourself.

Daydreamer
05-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Hi Phillipe

Welcome. There is a lot of information around here. Check the resources page on the main site. http://sfbaysss.org/main/resources/

I started small as well, O'day 22, sailing around the Bay. This year bought a Wilderness 30, an 80's racer. First boat with a spinnaker so lots to learn.

I sailed in the Singlehanded Farallones race last week and had my first OBE (overboard breakfast experience)
Seasickness and fatigue prevented me from finishing the course.

My plan is to go out more to try to adapt to the motion. I would be glad to call or email you if I am going out. Generally a couple weekends a month. I sail out of Richmond.

Greg

brianb
05-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Hi Phillipe

Welcome. There is a lot of information around here. Check the resources page on the main site. http://sfbaysss.org/main/resources/

I started small as well, O'day 22, sailing around the Bay. This year bought a Wilderness 30, an 80's racer. First boat with a spinnaker so lots to learn.

I sailed in the Singlehanded Farallones race last week and had my first OBE (overboard breakfast experience)
Seasickness and fatigue prevented me from finishing the course.

My plan is to go out more to try to adapt to the motion. I would be glad to call or email you if I am going out. Generally a couple weekends a month. I sail out of Richmond.

Greg

Bob J applies OBE to see beyond the mast head in search of cat paws on the water. Based on that I was up all night trying it out. Greg is using it to keep his GI tract contents minimized. Tired and confused.

Steevee
05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
... I'm being told that I should first check whether I'm sensitive to seasickness. I don't think I am but then I've never been on a small boat caught in heavy swell.

Don't worry...when you're in truly heavy seas you'll be too terrified to be seasick ; )

BobJ
05-28-2015, 11:12 AM
I just got a note from SSS's marketing dept. They said to tone it down a bit.

Philpott
05-28-2015, 01:55 PM
I just got a note from SSS's marketing dept. They said to tone it down a bit.

That's a big fat fib.

BobJ
05-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Okay you're right. It was the Membership Recruitment Dept.

Harrier
05-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Feeling so bad you wish you were just about anywhere else might be worse than "terrified'.

Philpott
05-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Feeling so bad you wish you were just about anywhere else might be worse than "terrified'.

Hello, Sir! Do you have a seasickness story for us? Or an antidote? Rick Elkins told us about a Navy study that suggested 48 hours of prophylactic bonine helped.

Steevee
05-28-2015, 03:41 PM

That's probably true. I've been so hungover that I promised I'd never drink again...well, at least not tequila.

Harrier
05-28-2015, 03:41 PM
I find that drinking too much the night before departure can cause sea sickness, even before leaving the dock! Without such "stimulant", it doesn't happen to me.
If you do feel sick, don't try to fight it: Just throw up and things will get better in a hurry, never to return!

Philpott
05-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Okay you're right. It was the Membership Recruitment Dept.

Oh. Those people are so faint of heart.

Gamayun
05-28-2015, 05:45 PM
My recommendations...don't be jet lagged and eat the oyster stew at Sam's Chowder House the night before heading to the Farallones. And prophylactic Bonine is the thing that works for me -- when I remember to take it -- then I'll take it again on mornings when the sea state starts to kick up. It helps me even just a few hours before things go bad. I've been 4 days offshore with no problems when a storm sends my stomach sideways. So much for sea legs :)

As to the Channel Islands trip, it will probably be the week of July 20. I'll post my plan here.

jamottep
05-28-2015, 10:50 PM
PM sent to Brian and Greg, I have prior commitments for this Wednesday and 6/6. I'll be gone 6/15-21 too.
But please keep the suggestions coming. I'm going to need many months of OBE (offshore bareboat education) anyways.

jamottep
06-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Extremely rare occurrences. I think you'll fit right in. We have our awards meeting for the Singlehanded Farallones next Wednesday night at the Oakland Yacht Club (which isn't in Oakland, it's in Alameda) at 7:30. If you can make it, come on over and introduce yourself.

I've rearranged my schedule and now plan to visit Wednesday. Where/when do I need to show up?

pogen
06-01-2015, 12:06 PM
SSS Meetings are all at the Oakland Yacht Club at 1930.

Oakland Yacht Club

www.oaklandyachtclub.net

1101 Pacific Marina, Alameda, CA 94501

upstairs in the bar/meeting area.

jamottep
12-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Hello ... posting an update on where I'm at these days ...

I've continued working with the Spinnaker Sailing school in Redwood City, where I'm now an ASA101/103 instructor. I'm just this and next weekend taking a Spinnaker handling class there.
I'm also signed up for two legs of the Clipper Round the World race (https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/): the South Atlantic and Pacific crossing legs. I'm half way through their training (two more weeks in July).

I'm now looking for a coach and a boat to help me get to the starting and finish lines of the SHTP 2018. Would anyone be interested? I'm open to financial arrangements. And I do a killer tarte tatin!

jamottep
03-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Hello ... I won't be able to get my boat into the Corinthians race. Would anyone be open to take me as crew on a double handed boat?

Gamayun
03-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Phillippe, you might try to get in touch with Nathalie Criou. She recently posted on Facebook if anyone's interested in racing a Figaro. This could be just the thing for your racing bug. I don't know how to contact her outside of FB so maybe others can chime in.

jamottep
03-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Phillippe, you might try to get in touch with Nathalie Criou. She recently posted on Facebook if anyone's interested in racing a Figaro. This could be just the thing for your racing bug. I don't know how to contact her outside of FB so maybe others can chime in.

Thanks for the suggestion! I shamelessly messaged on her on FB ... maybe she won't ignore me :-)

Gamayun
03-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Great! And if it works out, I hope to you'll have one of those tart tatin at the next SSS meeting as a finder's fee ;)