PDA

View Full Version : Dirk, question about TJID...

svShearwater
05-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Is the TJID the first Thirsty hull that Charlie and Fred raced to Hawaii on? We raced against them in 2014 on the new hull and they were doing 240 mile days!!! Crazy. There is nothing in the displacement, length, or sail area specifications that would suggest the boat could do anything like that.

dhusselman
05-26-2015, 03:30 PM
TIJD is not the boat that Charlie and Fred raced. They sold that boat. However I just took over the mast they used for that boat during the Pac-cup. It's the same profile but a little heavier and has everything back-plated and through bolted. They won their division in 2012. In 2014 they sailed the First 30 R. This is the racing version. Not that much lighter but it has no interior, has a lighter hull and a heavier keel. I think the design (Juan K) is really good. It moves effortless through the waves, has good control in a breeze with the double rudders and is still fast in light air. However it is not a sports boat, weighing over 8200 pounds for a 31 footer.
Charles is preparing the First 30R for the next Pac Cup and I might do the Single-handed Transpac.

It's a good and fun boat. For me I had to compromise to have the family still being interested in going out and stay overnight. They love the space and layout of the boat so it works really well for us.

Thanks for the interest.

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

BobJ
05-26-2015, 03:52 PM
The 30R "Thirsty" is for sale if anyone is interested. In MDR and asking $199,000. Looks pretty trick for what we do.

Despite my kidding, I think Dirk's boat's name is perfect: "Time"

svShearwater
05-26-2015, 04:24 PM
We spent a lot time with Charlie and Fred before and after Pac Cup last year. Funny dudes and really interesting boat. Of course they are the ones raving about the Watt & Sea.

The First 30 and 30R seem like really good options for shorthanded sailing. Nice having a little space and headroom in a small boat.

Hope to see you in/at SHTP next year.