PDA

View Full Version : Long Pac to test Delorme Inreach and Pinnacle Tracking Web Page - volunteers ?

brianb
06-13-2015, 12:00 AM
If you are doing the Long Pac we will have available a set of Delorme Inreach units. The rental rate for the units will be about $35. I don't yet have the precise number. If you are doing the Long Pac it would be a great help to the SSS to rent a unit and let us conduct a test of the Pinnacle Tracking Website capabilities, as we did for the Single Handed Farallon's . The tracking page will show vessels every one hour while on the course. The tracking rate will be tripled as boats are within the last 1/2 degree of longitude of the 126 deg 40 min goal line.

Please join in the test. Contact me via PM here.

Regards,

Brian

Grace
06-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Certa Ceto vounteers to rent and be part of the test. I have been thinking about purchasing the Delorme Explorer unit in any case, so this would be good experience.

pogen
06-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Is this optional DeLorme going to be the only tracker for LongPac?

Also, racers are fobidden to look at the tracker or talk to anyone about it, right??

brianb
06-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Hi David,

I don't know of any other tracker planned for the Long Pac, officially. See Max. Yes, racers would not be allowed to view the track map, nor speak to anyone about it. We would limit the live feed. Like the 2014 SHTP we will delay the live feed a few hours, so it won't be live any longer.

Brian

dhusselman
06-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Is the plan to use the tracker for the LongPac?

I think $35 is worth it. It seems very cheap compared to all other requirements. It also allows racers to sent messages.

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

SeanRhone
06-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Not trying to pry, but curious why you delay the live feed and why racers could not look at their tracker?

DaveH
06-15-2015, 07:58 AM
The short answer is that the ability to track and see the relative positions, course changes, speeds, etc of the other competitors in real time constitutes receiving Outside Assistance, See Rule 41.
Delaying that information is felt to make it a less relevant tactical tool, regardless of how that information is received aboard [live feed, radio, satphone call home, etc].

DH

Lightspeed
06-15-2015, 09:03 AM
I snagged one of these while on sale at REI. Looking into the different service plans. Any feedback as to how the different plans will connect/coordinate to the LongPac tracking test?

Critter
06-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Is this optional DeLorme going to be the only tracker for LongPac?
If you have anything else that can send your position to RC, RC would be glad to receive it. We/they (TBD) won't attempt to integrate it into a tracking map but will report it now and then.

pogen
06-15-2015, 12:48 PM
I have AIS class B transmit. Not sure how far out it goes.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=338108542

mike cunningham
06-15-2015, 01:03 PM
I have AIS class B transmit. Not sure how far out it goes.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=338108542

I pick up AIS transmissions from vessels 40 nm away sometimes. I use a splitter to my mast top whip so I get pretty good receive coverage and, hopefully, this is also true of my transmit. Of course you loose the ability to check on yourself on marinetraffic or what not once you are about 15 nm offshore and loose your cell signal.

BTW my Son is a mate in the merchant marine and tells me he rarely sees sailboats on the ships radar. Always sees AIS though.

SeanRhone
06-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Didn't think of it that way, thanks for explaining it.

The Smokester
06-15-2015, 08:00 PM
I snagged one of these while on sale at REI. Looking into the different service plans. Any feedback as to how the different plans will connect/coordinate to the LongPac tracking test?

I used a personal Delorme Explorer on the Farallons Race. The rental company couldn't integrate it into their map ('cause they're dummies), but it was available for viewing who had my URL.

brianb
06-15-2015, 09:22 PM
I used a personal Delorme Explorer on the Farallons Race. The rental company couldn't integrate it into their map ('cause they're dummies), but it was available for viewing who had my URL.

We are working with Pinnacle to see about getting visibility of the private units in this 2 nd test of their tracking system. They have promised this can be done by the 2016 SHTP but we want to see it in action. If you have a private Delorme, the yellow unit or the red unit, we will need the IMEI number to get it shown on the chart shown on the web page.

Regards,

Brian

brianb
06-15-2015, 09:25 PM
It is possible to track AIS by satellite. At least two services exist that do this. Someone would have to pay for the service and set up a fleet with listed MMSI numbers. It might not work too well close to SF due to collisions with all the marine traffic in the area.

pogen
06-16-2015, 11:07 AM
It is possible to track AIS by satellite.

I guess that's how ships 1000 nm offshore get plotted on VesselFinder.com and similar sites.

brianb
06-16-2015, 11:54 AM
I guess that's how ships 1000 nm offshore get plotted on VesselFinder.com and similar sites.

Do we have an attorney in the SSS ? We could file a freedom of information request for real time data from NSA sats. After all, we already paid for this.

mike cunningham
06-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Ha Ha, NSA can probably tell you the last time you peed over the rail. Damn singlehanders are polluting again.

brianb
06-17-2015, 10:26 PM
The SSS is completing the testing of Pinnacle Tracking with a second test during the Long Pac. This is to qualify the Pinnacle Tracking system using Delorme trackers. If you would like to participate please contact Brian Boschma
sss@brianboschma.com. There will be a limited number of units
available at cost for $35 for the week.

In the Long Pac race the system will do a position update once per hour.
The data will be captured on a private web page only accessible to
the race committee. The purpose is for the RC to be able to
evaluate the system. Racers, in compliance with the rules, cannot have access to this data by any means. No phone calls home, SSB calls, or email/text messages.

If you own a Delorme tracker and would like to participate that would also be helpful to the SSS. There is no charge if you have your own unit. We are still working with Pinnacle to make this happen, so this is not assured quite yet for the Long Pac.

The following information should be forwarded to sss@brianboschma.com.

Boat Name
Emergency Contact Name
Emergency Contact Phone Number
Boat Type
PHRF Rating
IMEI number if you have your own SE or Explorer Delorme unit.

The units will be distributed at the skippers meeting and a check for the rental fee will be gladly accepted at that time.

brianb
06-18-2015, 08:25 PM
An update on the Tracker uptake. It appears we have 9 entrants who have volunteered. I will order a few extra units in case others would like to take advantage of the system. At this point it appears including private units in the Pinnacle system, at this time, isn't going to be possible due to contract restrictions between Pinnacle and Delorme. They are going to have this worked out in the next few months so in the 2016 SHTP this will be resolved.

mike cunningham
06-19-2015, 07:14 AM
An update on the Tracker uptake. It appears we have 9 entrants who have volunteered. I will order a few extra units in case others would like to take advantage of the system. At this point it appears including private units in the Pinnacle system, at this time, isn't going to be possible due to contract restrictions between Pinnacle and Delorme. They are going to have this worked out in the next few months so in the 2016 SHTP this will be resolved.

Brian,

Would it be possible for us to validate the system prior to the race? Objective would be to confirm all tracker reports are being correctly received and reported on the map.

It might be possible to do this over the course of the skippers meeting by having each user activate his/her unit for a few moments and verify the map is updated with relevant unit.

If you want a volunteer to help, I would be happy to do so.

BobJ
06-20-2015, 08:47 PM
Trackers schmackers - is anyone taking an SSB? I'm wondering whether to stick mine back on the boat. No point of there's no one to talk to . . .

Jan Brewer
06-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Hi Bob, I am presently looking for a boat to stay on at GGYC with an SSB and coming up blank. I was hoping to talk to all y'all as well so . . .