PDA

View Full Version : Silver Eagle Race June 24th

BobJ
06-13-2015, 09:25 AM
There was a recent thread wanting a shorthanded race that finishes up in the Estuary. What are you doing on June 27th (2015)? 2016 Edit: June 25, 2016 2017 Edit: June 24th!

This is the 40th Anniversary of the Silver Eagle Long Distance Race, organized by our friends at the Island Yacht Club. This race could use a shot in the arm and we're just the group to give it one. With four entries we can have a shorthanded division.

It's a long (30.5 nm) race with an SSS-type course, but with the finish off the Island Yacht Club. Starts begin at 1030 at the GGYC, then round Blackaller, Little Harding, Blossom, the Brothers, and finish at IYC. There's an even longer course for the multihulls and under-100 PHRF boats, but us shorthanders would probably sail the shorter course.

I'm doing this - can I get three shorthanded boats (or more) to join me? (I think IYC will accept boats with loose wiring and uninstalled Corian countertops.)

Here's the link: IYC's Silver Eagle Race (https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T00880962) Edit: Here's the link for 2016's race: https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T004247933 Also see my post at the end of this thread.

2017 Edit: Here's the link for this year's race: https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T008744666

Philpott
06-13-2015, 05:21 PM
With four entries we can have a shorthanded division.
Here's the link: IYC's Silver Eagle Race (https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T00880962)

Hmmm. Shorthanded (this again). If I register as a singlehander, will I be racing against doublehanders?

brianb
06-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Bob,

There is the HMB OYRA race that weekend... I used to do the Silver Eagle all the time. I will consider it in place of HMB. The old course covered a lot of ground, S Bay then N Bay....

BB

BobJ
06-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Hmmm. Shorthanded (this again). If I register as a singlehander, will I be racing against doublehanders?

First we need four boats. If we get eight and four are singlehanded, we could ask the R/C. I'll probably race singlehanded.

Daydreamer
06-16-2015, 07:52 AM
I'll do it!
Signing up singlehanded.
Let's get some more entries!

Greg

BobJ
06-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Thanks Greg! We only need 1-2 more to have our own division, and the shorthanded division may be all singlehanders.

It will be fun to hang out at IYC after the race. Rags will probably spend the night at Alameda Marina's guest dock and then motor over to Jack London Square Sunday morning for coffee and breakfast, before sailing back to Richmond. A perfect weekend or what?

BobJ
06-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Sailing Instructions are UP: IYC Silver Eagle SI's (https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=IYC_T00880962&DOC=si&TYP=pdf)

The course is slightly shortened from my description above (which was based on 2014's race) - the Estuary entrance mark is omitted and the measured distance was recalibrated to 30.5 nm. It's like a reverse SSS Corinthian+Rocks race with a sail back across to the Estuary and finish at IYC.

At this point we have three 30 footers entered in the shorthanded division, including (count 'em) TWO blue J's. Even if you don't have a 30' blue J Boat we'd be jazzed to see you sign up - we need at least one more shorthander or we'll be sitting at the dock sniffin' burlap and eating wild hickory nuts. That would be less than good SO SIGN UP!

DaveH
06-20-2015, 07:43 PM
OK, I'm in; Single handing as well.
That makes 2 blue J's and 2 white Wilderness 30's.

DH

BobJ
06-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Excellent Dave! Synthia (EYRIE) is racing too but she's confused - she entered 'cause she read the part about sniffing burlap and eating wild hickory nuts. No 'Zia, that's what we were going to do if we COULDN'T race.

Well anyway we're up to five. You have until the 24th to enter before the fee goes up.

BobJ
06-23-2015, 12:14 PM
We have a quorum but you're welcome to join us this Saturday. It will be fun (he said).

Daydreamer
06-25-2015, 08:41 AM
FUGU signed up. Thats three Wilderness 30s! Yep, fun!

Daydreamer
06-25-2015, 10:28 PM
https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T00880962

Fleet assignments are posted.
Some fast company there!

BobJ
07-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Post-race report: We ended up with seven shorthanders, the largest division in the race.

Silver Eagle Results (https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=IYC_T00880962&DOC=r1&TYP=html)

Both EYRIE and RAGTIME! had autopilot issues early in the race and EYRIE decided to head home before a kite had to be set (too bad!) Mo and Tony on WIND SPEED and Chris on FUGU were right with RAGTIME! all day and that made it fun (and more work!) It was windy and reachy so even with an asymmetric I was only able to set between Little Harding and Blossom, and for the run up the Estuary. For the latter, bunches of jibes were necessary often while dodging other boats. The trickiest jibe was right off Jack London Square's fuel dock in the midst of three circling powerboats. Some hand signals (not with middle finger) averted catastrophe.

Once tied up at Alameda Marina's guest dock the shorthanders totally won the party. IYC's race chair, John New, invited us over to the club for eats and then, one by one, we headed back out. WIND SPEED, NIGHTMARE and RAGS had a wonderful evening sail back to Richmond to end another fine day on the Bay. (Photo from WIND SPEED via FB attached.)

Now that LongPac entries have closed I'd like to propose another event for the rest of us, for July 18th. I'll do a new post for that.

Philpott
07-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Now that LongPac entries have closed I'd like to propose another event for the rest of us, for July 18th. I'll do a new post for that.

Is that the Midnight Marathon? Because Chris Case and I have talked about that one, too. It's either that one or the Westpoint Regatta, which requires YRA membership.

BobJ
07-01-2015, 03:17 PM
I was thinking about the Westpoint Regatta, since you said we can't RACE down there on Halloween, only crooze. But I didn't think about the YRA membership part since I'm already a member.

Who puts on the Midnight Marathon? That might be just fine and dandy to do. Edit: Okay I checked that out - SFYC. It's also on July 18th and is a pursuit race from Raccoon Strait to the Carquinez Bridge and back. No shorthanded division though. I guess we could ask for one.

BobJ
06-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Bored already, Bunky? You're not racing to Hawaii and you noticed the next SSS race isn't until August (Drake's Bay)? I have a solution!

Last year a bunch of us raced in Island Yacht Club's Silver Eagle. It was grand. We had a blast. It moved me Bob.

It's a 24-mile Bay race, starting at the Golden Gate Yacht Club and ending up at the Island Yacht Club (where we've been having our meetings recently). Yes, that means you get to finish in the flat and tropical waters of the Oakland Estuary. We only need four boats - I'm sure we can get more than that. Read the NOR and sign up here:

https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T004247933

Philpott
06-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Bored already, Bunky? You're not racing to Hawaii and you noticed the next SSS race isn't until August (Drake's Bay)? I have a solution!

Last year a bunch of us raced in Island Yacht Club's Silver Eagle. It was grand. We had a blast. It moved me Bob.

It's a 30-mile Bay race, starting at the Golden Gate Yacht Club and ending up at the Island Yacht Club (where we've been having our meetings recently). Yes, that means you get to finish in the flat and tropical waters of the Oakland Estuary. We only need four boats - I'm sure we can get more than that. Read the NOR and sign up here:

Okay. But only if there is a singlehanded division.

Daydreamer
06-02-2016, 06:49 AM
The Silver Eagle was a fun race last year!

This year it is the same day as the OYRA Half Moon Bay.

What a conundrum!

I plan to race OYRA since I am already signed up.

Have fun!!

Gamayun
06-02-2016, 08:32 AM

You're a hoot, Jackie. This thread is deja vu all over again ;)

In addition to my continued allegiance to HMBYC, I just became a member of IYC so I'll have to check my calendar on this race. Sounds like fun!!

Philpott
06-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Bunky here:
This from IYC: Island YC Racing 9:23 AM (1 hour ago) Hi Jacqueline,
The way the NOR defines short-handed at this point is what we better stick to initially (max crew size = 2).
However if we get at least 4 folks identified as singlehanded and at least 4 boats identified as doublehanded, we'd be happy to split up our short-handed division into single- and double- Thanks for writing in,
David Ross

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Silver Eagle looks great, count me in if we get a single handed division!

I wish SSS had more Bay races in the summer for those of us who don't have the time for the outofbay (outofbody?) experience.

Can we get two more?

I'm also signed up for the YRA series... any takers for any of those?

6/18, 7/23, and 8/13. Two good things about this series: you can pay by the race vs. pay for the whole series and there are two races per day. It would be great to have a single handed division.

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Are you going to be a silver eagle or a sam the eagle? Don't be a Sam. Sign up! I did.

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 05:53 PM
And while you're at it, sign up for the YRA series (https://www.jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T004349292).

I got first place for a single hander :)* I need some competition.

*Last place among the Olson 25's.

Philpott
06-06-2016, 06:18 PM
And while you're at it, sign up for the YRA series (https://www.jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T004349292). I got first place for a single hander :)* I need some competition.*Last place among the Olson 25's.

I sure hope John New doesn't remove the marks before I get there. Awards to be presented at 6:30? What is the time limit for the race? And save me some food!

BobJ
06-06-2016, 06:33 PM
The awards are July 23rd. Last year IYC let us crash another dinner they were hosting after the race. If that doesn't happen this time, we'll pile on one of the boats and go over to Jack London Square. In any case, we'll make sure you get a finish.

Gamayun
06-07-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm signed up, but since I still don't have my new AP hooked up (running low on "new project enthusiasm"), I'll probably doublehand.

todd22123
06-07-2016, 07:23 PM
I signed up.

I sent a request for clarification to the RC, because I am not sure if the 3rd mark, Course 2, will be SC or YRA 34. In the Sailing Instructions, Course 2 indicates "SC", but description of marks includes YRA 34, rather than SC.

Course 1 – (about 38 NM): X-S 16-S E-S 37-P 33-S IYC “F”-P

Course 2 – (about 24 NM): X-S 16-S RR-S SC-P 33-S IYC “F”-P

Descriptions:

X Yellow Sphere “X” Golden Gate Yacht Club

RR Red Rock Island

E RGR F R (2+1) 6S, approx. 3 nm NNE of the East Brother Light

16 “Blackaller”, Yellow Column “C” .2 nm E of Ft. Point

33 Red Buoy "4" Fl R 4s, Oakland Inner Harbor Entrance Channel

34 Red Buoy “2” Fl R 2s approx. 0.5 nm east of Protrero Point Terminal

37 Lash Terminal Lighted Buoy “5” (G Fl 4.0 sec), approx. 0.3 nm E of India Basin

IYC “F” Orange ball, approx. 100 yards NE of IYC race deck

Todd

Philpott
06-07-2016, 07:41 PM
I signed up. I sent a request for clarification to the RC, because I am not sure if the 3rd mark, Course 2, will be SC or YRA 34. In the Sailing Instructions, Course 2 indicates "SC", but description of marks includes YRA 34, rather than SC. Course 1 – (about 38 NM): X-S 16-S E-S 37-P 33-S IYC “F”-P Course 2 – (about 24 NM): X-S 16-S RR-S SC-P 33-S IYC “F”-P Descriptions: X Yellow Sphere “X” Golden Gate Yacht Club RR Red Rock Island E RGR F R (2+1) 6S, approx. 3 nm NNE of the East Brother Light 16 “Blackaller”, Yellow Column “C” .2 nm E of Ft. Point 33 Red Buoy "4" Fl R 4s, Oakland Inner Harbor Entrance Channel 34 Red Buoy “2” Fl R 2s approx. 0.5 nm east of Protrero Point Terminal 37 Lash Terminal Lighted Buoy “5” (G Fl 4.0 sec), approx. 0.3 nm E of India Basin IYC “F” Orange ball, approx. 100 yards NE of IYC race deck
Todd

Oh, My! My head is just spinning from all those unfamiliar marks! Now I remember why I'm not allowed in the South Bay races. I'm liable to hit something! Todd, DM and I will just follow you as long as we can see you. Now don't sail too fast.

todd22123
06-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Uh, yeah. My last post, without the formatting, is unclear.
I did hear back from IYC R/C.
Our course will be, as it says in the SI's, "Course 2 – (about 24 NM): X-S 16-S RR-S SC-P 33-S IYC “F”-P"
There will be an amendment of the SI's to include SC in the "Descriptions."

GPS Coordinates for the South Bay Marks are (approx):

SC 37 46.5 -122 22.0
33 37 48.1 - 122 20.9

255grizzly
06-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Try raceQs (http://raceqs.com) for the silver eagle - I will be sure to use it for the race. Afterwards, we can all compare tracks and replay the race.

Gamayun
06-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Try raceQs (http://raceqs.com) for the silver eagle - I will be sure to use it for the race. Afterwards, we can all compare tracks and replay the race.

Yes, let's do this. And maybe put an alarm clock on your phone so we (ahem) remember to turn it on!!!

Ah, shoot. Just pulled up the SIs. How did I think this was on the 18th...? Our low turnout might be because this is the day of the OYRA HMB race.

BobJ
06-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Yeah I know - hard call. I decided our SSS race would have to satisfy my HMB jones for the season.

If you look at the OYRA entry list, the other conflicts are mostly with boats going to Hawaii.

BobJ
06-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Now you can sign up for the Silver Eaglet as either Singlehanded or Doublehanded - or Full Crew if you're into that.

Time's a wastin'

Gamayun
06-20-2016, 10:23 AM
I've gone to the dark side. Since there was only one other "full crew monohull" I decided he needed some competition and I was the only DH signed up. If I see other DHs between now and Friday, I might change back to thoroughly confuse the RC.

Philpott
06-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Are you gonna bring that hippy crowd up from Half Moon Bay Yacht Club?

Gamayun
06-21-2016, 01:08 AM
The hippy crowd sailed yesterday....

Philpott
06-21-2016, 07:20 AM
The hippy crowd sailed yesterday....

Now you see? That's what people expect when invited out to sail: wine and cheese on a beautiful capacious yacht.

Daydreamer
06-21-2016, 08:02 AM
What a lovely group of people:)
Looks like they had a great time.

Obviously a staged facade, notice no one is actually on the boat.

This is the reality on my boat :eek:

Gamayun
06-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Cruiser/Racer - gotta have priorities, people!! Like a fridge and secure places for the wine and champagne....and now that I'm racing my home, can I get a rating increase?

BobJ
06-21-2016, 08:10 AM
That group sailed over on Marcus's Cal 20. The seven ladies aboard KYNNTANA (as described in the "Take Alcatraz" thread) are all in the hot tub - there's a hot tub somewhere I'm told.

Philpott
06-21-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm lookin at the competition in the singlehanded monohull division and I think I have a good chance of winning it. Red Sky? That's an offshore racer. Ragtime!? I've heard that guy listens to the Bee Gees. The Tweaker? We'll watch him, see if he sails straight. Olsen's the one to beat. I hear he holds the record for the famous Take Alcatraz race. Hmmm.

I'm thinking this is a two granola bar day with maybe some strawberries on the side. And chocolate. Lots of dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt. Mmmm! Looking forward to it. Let's hope those thunder showers don't materialize. I hate having to change into dry clothes half way through a race. But I will.

Philpott
06-22-2016, 08:19 AM
There's a new entrant into the Silver Eagle Race: upstart Orion, having none of the gravitas of DM's 37 years, with a rating of -189 compared with DM's 213. Full crew, too. I guess they think they need all the help they can get.

BobJ
06-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Thus the "Course for Vessels with Limited Navigability." ORION will be rounding the Pt. Bonita buoy (among others) during their 45 nm run and they will finish at the mouth of the Estuary - which is a good idea since ORION is 55 feet wide and will be going really, really fast. They raced last year too.

As to music, here's that recent thread: http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1643-Sailing-Music&p=13737#post13737

I think Todd will be listening to the Village People, maybe the Monkeys. It appears Gamayun will be listening to Ken Burns.

For the rest of you lurkers out there: See what you're missing? Saturday is looking like a warm day with light but adequate breeze, and it's not too late to sign up. We could use a couple more doublehanders:

REGISTER HERE (https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T004247933)

255grizzly
06-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Good music and good food will be what wins this race! Maybe it's time for me to get some HUGE speakers installed on Rock On. I have always wondered if others would make room if I had Ride of the Valkyries blaring from my boat at the start.

Philpott
06-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Good music and good food will be what wins this race! Maybe it's time for me to get some HUGE speakers installed on Rock On. I have always wondered if others would make room if I had Ride of the Valkyries blaring from my boat at the start.

Seriously: Richard Von Ehrenkrook used to play that at the start of races years ago! Richard! Do you still have those big speakers installed?

todd22123
06-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Change in plans. I will be racing on Mojo, Trimaran, in Silver Eagle tmrw. So I will be there, but not my boat. Have a great day all!

Philpott
06-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Change in plans. I will be racing on Mojo, Trimaran, in Silver Eagle tmrw. So I will be there, but not my boat. Have a great day all!

Thank goodness! A friend on big fast lethal catamaran. Please don't hit me!

BobJ
06-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Saturday is looking like a warm day with light but adequate breeze... Ha! Remember that Rolls Royce ad? "Horsepower, adequate."

There was indeed "adequate" breeze north of the Bay Bridge. I started with a #3 and reefed main - on my boat that was plenty for the beat up to Blackaller and for the LONG beat/close reach from Red Rock down to the Bay Bridge - it was honking in the central Bay. ORION came blasting by, having sailed a much longer course, but once under the Bridge they came to a halt. I was farther to leeward and had more breeze so I actually passed them. An ill-advised set after rounding "SC" forced me over towards Naval Air. This required a beat/close reach back up to R "4" but again, being farther East put me in more breeze so I was able to make up for my faux-pas. Then RED SKY, TRAVELER and RAGS were neck-and-neck in the light breeze all the way up the Estuary. A few well-placed gybes (and a few not so well-placed) and I just nipped both at the finish. But the best news was to be found out later - I beat 'da CAN by three seconds after all that.

IYC welcomed us with BBQ fixings and liquid refreshment, leading to good visits and telling of war stories on their inviting deck. I left at sunset and had a nice sail back to Richmond - I still saw 20 knots north of the slot.

Great day! (Oh, except the other score was starboard winch 1, Bob's nose 0.)

BobJ
06-26-2016, 09:46 AM
KYNNTANA flew her kite for the first time in a race - way to go! (Sorry, max zoom on the phone camera.) 1591

Gamayun
06-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Wow, that looks like such a big boat next to Green Dragon! What an interesting race it was. Breeze from mid 20s to zero, spinnakering that seemed to take like 30 minutes to get ready, mistaken rounding marks that took us miles out of the way, green water over the dodger and foulies across the slot, to shorts and near heatstroke conditions at the finish. Great hospitality at IYC. It sounds like they're going to do more hosting after these races. Yay.

Check this out: http://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm#userId=1016773&updatedAt=2016-06-26T00:48:41Z&dt=2016-06-25T10:29:03-07:00..2016-06-25T17:43:56-07:00&boat=Kynntana&time=1466877778754&focus=Kynntana&rival=Cruz%20Sea%20Baby&tab=setup&view=auto. You can see both the OYRA HMB race and the Silver Eagle race on the same screen. I'm not sure how that happened but it looks like I might have a "rival." Anyway, you all need to download RaceQs so we can all replay these races and compare each other's strategies :)

(Hope the winch face plant is better soon! I say you tell everyone that a giant sturgeon leaped out of the water as you were rounding Blackaller, slammed into your face before you wrestled it out of the boat, and still took your division....)

255grizzly
06-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Burn the winches! One of my main winches popped open after rounding Red Rock. I sailed with one winch for a while, but it was killing me and my sail. That and an earlier spinnaker twist at Angel Island doomed me for this race. I headed in early. Great conditions though, a little bit of everything.

I put my track onto RaceQs... and look at that, I'm racing to HMB now! That's weird.

255grizzly
06-27-2016, 10:00 AM
I tried to create a silver eagle race on raceqs... not sure it's working for everyone, I see Kyntana, but not nightmare... also, doesn't show two of my jibes on the way to RR and the wind looks flat out wrong after RR (it shows us on run when we were on a beat.) Hmmm... maybe this is because I didn't finish the race and so it thinks i"m doing something else... not sure.

BobJ
06-27-2016, 10:14 AM
No wonder you blew up a winch - you only THOUGHT you were going upwind!

Burn the winches!

Hear! Hear! A new event: Winch Burnings - every Saturday night at the Blue Pelican. Special this week: We'll also burn your Barclay's shares...

Daydreamer
06-27-2016, 10:46 AM
"I tried to create a silver eagle race on raceqs... not sure it's working for everyone, I see Kyntana, but not nightmare..."

That's because I was on my way to Half Moon Bay!

BobJ
06-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Way to represent - thanks! Looks like everyone finished by 1600. How was it?

Critter
06-27-2016, 02:51 PM
What Greg posted in the other thread. Fun day, we saw several whales (well, my crew did; I missed them all except for one humpback), several sunfish and a couple of harbor porpoises. We were able to carry the spinnaker right after rounding R2 for a change.

AlanH
10-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Can we do this again in 2017? Huh? Huh?

BobJ
06-12-2017, 12:16 PM
This is our kind of race folks! Please sign up if you can make it:

2017 IYC Silver Eagle(t) - June 24th (https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T008744666)

If you're not sure and need motivation, read the thread!

Gamayun
06-13-2017, 09:41 AM
This is our kind of race folks! Please sign up if you can make it:

2017 IYC Silver Eagle(t) - June 24th (https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T008744666)

If you're not sure and need motivation, read the thread!

Beccie and I are talking about doing it, so that means K is out of the running for the SH division. I just hope the wind stays up like it has been lately! K don't drift.

AlanH
06-14-2017, 05:53 PM
I'm signed up. There are a whole 5 boats signed up right now and the Wildcat is the only monohull. I need company.

nathandevries
06-23-2021, 04:29 PM
Apologies for digging up a thread from the past, but I thought a few folks on here might like to know that I've just posted the NOR for the 45th edition of the IYC Silver Eagle race:

https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T002005759

Hope to see you out there!

AlanH
06-25-2021, 11:02 AM
The Wildcat should have her mast by then. I'm in!...Westpoint Regatta, Silver Eagle and if I still have the boat in October, Vallejo 1-2.