PDA

View Full Version : Tracker Chatter

pogen
07-06-2015, 02:19 PM
OK folks, the LongPac Tracker page is up, and when the race starts you should see all the boats.

http://sfbaysss.org/main/longpac-2015/tracker/

Let's hope it's an entertaining show for the folks at home.

WBChristie
07-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Great! Thanks

Philpott
07-06-2015, 04:37 PM
OK folks, the LongPac Tracker page is up, and when the race starts you should see all the boats.

http://sfbaysss.org/main/longpac-2015/tracker/

Let's hope it's an entertaining show for the folks at home.

Thanks, David! Best wishes on Temerity!

Gamayun
07-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Ooh, it's already providing entertainment. You can see where everyone's tracker is at the moment and it's funny that no one has left theirs on the boat except for someone who's out sailing today. It also feels a bit voyeuristic ;)

pogen
07-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Ooh, it's already providing entertainment. You can see where everyone's tracker is at the moment and it's funny that no one has left theirs on the boat except for someone who's out sailing today. It also feels a bit voyeuristic ;)

I don't think those are current positions -- probably just the ones when they were last turned off.

The most drama in the race will probably occur at the start, when Brian attempts to toss 15 trackers from his boat to the racers.

Hey how about that wind, or forecast lack thereof? I didn't want to deal with 30+, but a 6-day slat-fest would not be fun. Or maybe it would.

pogen
07-06-2015, 06:17 PM
By the way, we thank Pinnacle for their help with the trackers! Please admire them along with our other sponsors on the LongPac page on the main site.

pogen
07-06-2015, 06:19 PM
I counted again, I will have a total of 8 GPS receivers on board, so I guess there is no excuse for getting lost.

BobJ
07-06-2015, 06:58 PM

That voyeuristic aspect is my primary objection to trackers. "What happens in the ocean . . ." Over the weekend, Light Speed went up to Drake's Bay, then came back and watched the fireworks from Clipper Cove, then went back to RYC. (This from the AIS via MarineTraffic.com) That I know this kinda creeps me out.

As for LongPac boats, I'm rooting for "Unassigned" and of course, Racer X.

mike cunningham
07-06-2015, 07:12 PM
I counted again, I will have a total of 8 GPS receivers on board, so I guess there is no excuse for getting lost.

Ha Ha Now I gotta count

MFD - 1
fixed VHF Radio - 2
HH Radio - 3
AIS - 4
Tablet - 5
Cell phone -6
etrex mariner - 7 (I used to go offshore with this as my only gps)
etrex old old yellow one but still works- 8

dang, I thought I had you beat.

Gamayun
07-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Just you all wait till I can count what we have on Mouton Noir....

As to the forecast, I've been watching it for days now. At least the wind direction is starting to turn. I have mucho hope that it'll pick up, too!!!

pogen
07-07-2015, 03:24 PM
That voyeuristic aspect is my primary objection to trackers.

We are renaming it to "The Race Stalker".

I'm not sure which boat(s) will NOT be tracker equipped. It would be good to know, to keep people from freaking out when they don't see it on the chart.

There are still a few glitches on the tracker page that should hopefully get fixed over the next 24 hrs.

Philpott
07-07-2015, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure which boat(s) will NOT be tracker equipped. It would be good to know, to keep people from freaking out when they don't see it on the chart. .

Having just inspected Southernaire, that beauteous vessel, I can assure all that Sam will not have a tracker aboard. no no no It is not The Burns Way to be stalked. He does have a fishing pole.

I would also like it on the record that, should Sam not make it back, he has bequeathed me his red Indian motorcyle.

pogen
07-09-2015, 06:51 AM
OK, the touch line is now marked, and off we go.

Since part of this race's tracker is an evaluation for use in the SHTP, please provide your feedback on the 'customer experience'.

BobJ
07-09-2015, 09:56 AM
So what's the trick to have it show current positions (instead of the straight line of positions from Angel Is. to Vallejo)? I got it to work a couple times but I don't know what I did. Also the spelling . . .

hodgmo
07-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Click on the "TEAMS" tab on the left and then check the boats you want to track.

http://www.pinnacletracking.com/live/Map.aspx?GPLR

BobJ
07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Yep, I did that and it displays them in a row from Raccoon to Vallejo. If I click on one boat and wait a second, it moves it to the last available position but I have to do that every time I open the page. How long is the delay David had them use?

Update: I cleared the browser and set up a direct link, and it's working better. It still shows Domino on YBI though - I hope he didn't run aground or something.

hodgmo
07-09-2015, 11:13 AM
When I zoom in on Domino she looks clear of YBI. Galaxsea appears to be inside the GGYC spit though. Turning on Penguin's History takes me back to the E coast and I've not figured out how to turn History off without restarting the page...

BobJ
07-09-2015, 12:27 PM
I love tracking devices. Some of my best friends wear them.

Now&Zen
07-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I noticed that the distance left shows over 780 miles........maybe this is the Double LongPac.....do the racers know? :-)

Jan Brewer
07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
That's part of the surprise we have waiting for them at the finish line -- it's a mark they need to round and they get to go back out and do it again!!! As RC I can do all sorts of fun things to them as the days progress!!!

BobJ
07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Most of the boats are doing a neck-snapping 1.6 or 2.2 knots - so many that I think those are Pinnacle defaults. No worries - the wind for Friday and Saturday is forecast to be . . . 5 knots.

That 800 nm is going to take awhile. CJ may really get her taxes done!

Philpott
07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Since part of this race's tracker is an evaluation for use in the SHTP, please provide your feedback on the 'customer experience'.

A nice feature would indicate the time at which each boat's position is posted: e.g. when I look at the tracker, what time is it? Brian told me that the tracker "pings" every two hours. Alot can happen in 2 hours. So, when I look at the pretty little pictures, what time is it THEN? Last time I saw it, Temerity was still at the bridge and now David is - ah! caught up with RacerX! (not that I am surprised, but whoa! That's alota catchup!).

BobJ
07-09-2015, 03:16 PM
I assumed the "Tracked At" time was the last time that boat's position was updated. With a bit of interpolation you can sort of guess where they will be next.

Philpott
07-09-2015, 03:55 PM
I assumed the "Tracked At" time was the last time that boat's position was updated. With a bit of interpolation you can sort of guess where they will be next.

I prefer to extrapolate.

WBChristie
07-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Is there any way to get a track to show?

BobJ
07-09-2015, 04:08 PM
I prefer to extrapolate.

Yeah, that's what I meant. OUTSIDER dropped out already.

Philpott
07-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Outsider chose not to participate. He accompanied the fleet toward the gate with no sails. Mas! did not start, sent an early email to that effect.

BobJ
07-09-2015, 04:19 PM
What, no Mas? (Sorry) For the season standings, Greg would have been better off to start and then DNF. Maybe his crew didn't work out.

So it's MOUTON NOIR vs. RACER X for the steak knives in DH . . .

solosailor
07-09-2015, 04:55 PM
I had crew, provisioned up and liferaft, etc. but decided I didn't want to flop around for 3 days waiting for wind. Looking at the wind speed out there and the forecast I think I made the right call, at least for now.

I could have started then DNF for a slightly better score but I thought that would be bad form so we put up the mainsail and sailed out with the fleet until the shipping channel as the wind lightened as forecast. I hope it's not as bad as forecast for the fleet. Good luck to the folks toughing it out.

Philpott
07-09-2015, 05:05 PM
your entry did heighten the excitement for the race, Greg. Certainly for the betting crowd. You were the bitters in the old fashioned.

Jan Brewer
07-09-2015, 05:12 PM
We got our first one headed back in -- Steve on that Italian or Latin boat name, Cento Certo or whatever it is. He's headed home doing a whopping 5.9.

BobJ
07-09-2015, 05:20 PM
CERTA CETO. Steve was also the first LongPac entry (by a couple months). Too bad.

It looks like the pixie dust covering RACER X's tracker is working.

Philpott
07-09-2015, 06:31 PM
CERTA CETO. Steve was also the first LongPac entry (by a couple months). Too bad.
It looks like the pixie dust covering RACER X's tracker is working.

Too bad, indeed. The Bodega Bay buoy shows an increase from 3.9 to current 5.8 knots during the past hour. Some of those boats can move in that, but pity Galaxsea. She needs more.

Jan Brewer
07-09-2015, 07:01 PM
So where in the heck is Daniel going? Looks to me like he's headed to anchor maybe in Drakes and will come on home tomorrow? I hope I am wrong. It's just lookin' like he's doing something different don't you think?

BobJ
07-09-2015, 07:17 PM
The first day in 2011's race was like this and ALCHERA and TIGER BEETLE anchored for the night in Drake's Bay.

The next morning it started to blow. I don't think that's going to happen this year.

Mewes
07-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Love the tracker! Love Galaxsea's stealth. Everybody's out the gate. Isn't this the Great Longitude Pacific Race?

Jan Brewer
07-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Yippy skippy! Daniel's decided to come on out and play with the rest of the boats!!

Jan Brewer
07-10-2015, 05:25 AM
And now it looks like we have #2 boat dropping out. S/V GREEN BUFFALO is pointing east on his tracker and getting closer to the Gate. Sincerely hope the tracker is not right and everything is okay.

Jan Brewer
07-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Okay, new addiction, watching these trackers. Two more arrows pointing east and have it officially that S/V TIJD headed home. He's got a flight to Holland and he doesn't want to miss it so . . . Lightspeed looks like he's pointing east too so . . .

More to follow with roll call at 0800 and 0830.

Philpott
07-10-2015, 08:38 AM
Late Pac is looking more appealing. Couldn't have less wind.

Jan Brewer
07-10-2015, 09:47 AM
WRONG again!!! LIGHTSPEED is still heading west. GREEN BUFFALO is home headed for a shower and a nap. He said he looked at the weather and this is not improving out there for several more days and the autopilot doesn't know what to do with no wind so . . . he's fine. He says he's got some radio issues to sort out and that's all so . . . it's cool to have him report to me in person this a.m. while I drink my tea in his in-law unit downstairs. What a gift this is!!!

BobJ
07-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Rick won't give up early - he just dropped the big bucks on a new main.

That's the third boat to report radio issues. We've been having lots of solar activity - I wonder if that's a cause for the radio problems.

GB was your comm boat, right?

Jan Brewer
07-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Yep, and now it's MOUTON NOIR. TEMERITY said in an email either this morning or last night DOMINO is also doing some comm work too so . . .

Mewes
07-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Or the wry...

Srwsails
07-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Yep, and now it's MOUTON NOIR. TEMERITY said in an email either this morning or last night DOMINO is also doing some comm work too so . . .
What???? Oh vey the hours we've spent on those (too many to count) comm systems. Arghhhhh. Susan

Submarino
07-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Frustratingly slow and I feel for them! At least something to see - Crazy Rhythm reported a whale nearby!

It's nice to be able to track their creeping progress!!

What mileage number did the trackers count down from?

Is there a reason why the transponders are transmitting at differing intervals?

Submarino
07-10-2015, 12:03 PM
J88 Vintus moving at 6 knots around 11:45ish a.m. I think they might be on the left end of the diverging fork with NE light winds and chute up!

Now&Zen
07-10-2015, 12:04 PM
[Q GREEN BUFFALO is home headed for a shower and a nap. He said he looked at the weather and this is not improving out there for several more days and the autopilot doesn't know what to do with no wind so . . . he's fine. What a gift this is!!![/QUOTE]

I have been crewing on GB in OYRA races for a while now. When the wind dies and the boat ain't moving, Jim gets bored real quick ;-)

BobJ
07-10-2015, 12:13 PM
J88 Vintus moving at 6 knots around 11:45ish a.m. I think they might be on the left end of the diverging fork with NE light winds and chute up!

VENTUS is a new J/88 and very well set up. I know Chris has a reacher in the inventory. If he can get off the breeze much at all, he's gone.

The J/105 is racing in OD trim. David on TEMERITY probably has his genoa up and is staying right with them.

The J/120 is in good nick and is well-sailed. He was the first monohull to finish in the SHF, correcting out to third. Keep your eyes on him.

The J/92 is looking forward to a LatePac.

That's your mid-day LongPac J/Boat report . . .

Jan Brewer
07-10-2015, 01:39 PM
If Bob is gonna give a noon J report, well, I'm not about to be outdone by a J/92 that's . . . So this is your PRO noon report a little late. I left Jim's roughly at 10:30, now in Alameda, shopped Target, the Dollar Store, All the More to Love, now at home and then headed to Costco.

Oh, finally got a comms report this a.m. late from SV MN and his excuse was something called no wind, a bad night, running (not literally) into all sorts of creatures at the Farallones and something about Moses. Do we have a boat out there with crew named Moses? I don't see a boat named Moses so . . .

If Bob is .

solosailor
07-10-2015, 01:56 PM
The J/92 is looking forward to a LatePac.Along with a J/92S, BennyF30jk, Azzura 310...... plus I'd bet a few more. We need to look at the weather for a nice window.

Submarino
07-10-2015, 02:15 PM
J88 down to 1.5 kts. Maybe the 6 kts was a fluke or just short chute up. Gosh, I would be going batty out there SH. At least the DH'ers can joke with each other.

WBChristie
07-10-2015, 02:24 PM
As far as the tracker leaving a trail for each boat, hitting "replay" and being patient will eventually draw a trail to each boats current position....for those like me who couldn't figure it out...

svShearwater
07-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Oy. Feeling lucky I missed this.

BobJ
07-10-2015, 02:50 PM
+1 Justin.

For LatePac we need a "be ready by" date and then we hang out and wait. Or just go when you're ready - I went out by myself in 2005. Best sail I ever had.

sunol
07-10-2015, 04:41 PM
I have to admit I would have quit by now if I was able to get out there. Looks like patience will win this one. Cheers to those hanging in there!

Critter
07-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Gosh, I would be going batty out there SH. At least the DH'ers can joke with each other.
Really? Just the opposite for me. I would be staring balefully at my crew's hateful face*, hoping he didn't feel the need to speak ... hoping I didn't feel the need to speak. SH I think I could stay relatively mellow.

*Not thinking of anyone in particular, honest!

BobJ
07-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Same here. I found racing doublehanded harder than racing singlehanded. I did not expect this.

Edited to specify "racing." I'd rather cruise doublehanded (stating the obvious).

Submarino
07-10-2015, 10:35 PM
3 high speed tracks heading east... Racer X, Saetta and Flying Penguin!

Philpott
07-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Notice Randy Leisure is still out there. That man is patient. Probably cooking something good, and biding his time comfortably. Waiting for wind in a Westsnail is a whole lot different than sitting around on a sled. Monday wind is supposed to be 15-25 out there, right? What are the chances the deadline might be extended? The sailing instructions read:

"If 50% of the boats that started have not finished by the time limit, it may be extended at the discretion of the Race Committee."

This may be a race of attrition.

Jan Brewer
07-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks for quoting the exact language in the SIs. I love it when great minds think alike. I discussed this option with Al and Max yesterday and right now no changes will be made. Who is to say come Monday what . . .

You might want to look again, Randy is headed our way. Then again, the tracker for LIGHTSPEED has shown him several times headed home and he's not so . . .

solosailor
07-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Go the Temerity !

Jan Brewer
07-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Yes, go TEMERITY!!!

Just heard from RACER X who is near Mile Rock coming in. Rich had lots to say which I hope he shares more here or at the awards/shirt party. The main thing I took away from his report this a.m. is that he and Mary were there for the "race" and not to qualify. So it didn't make sense once they got out there and saw what they were dealing with to continue. He says he doesn't remember seeing more than 5K of wind and their boat speed never got above 3K so . . .

BTW, he had an electical meltdown on the way in -- good timing he says. All well now he says and they are headed on home.

Srwsails
07-11-2015, 11:12 AM
It would appear Mouton Noir is returning. Looking at the speed ... she just doesn't sail that fast!!!! ... plus the direction is all wrong :p
Guess I'll go get tonights dinner.

Jan Brewer
07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Just heard from THE FLYING PENGUIN and he's between the SF Buoy and the Bridge. I asked for quotes and his best one was, "I was prepared and have been prepared for 25 knots and then I get this?" Another quote, "I'm like a 90-year-old man out here nodding off and then waking up going oops, there's a boat. I was drifting in and out of consciousness." And now he's seeing 5K of wind.

Srwsails
07-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Mouton Noir is safely back at Marina Village. Steve Hodges and Carliane have gone through our on board wine cellar and chosen the right one for dinner. It's an Italian wine on a French Boat. Sacrilegious for sure. Susan

brianb
07-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Trackers for this race was part of a two race experiment to prove concept. Not everything was set up as it would be in a race. We did this, in this way, to save money. There is labor involved in setting up a web page and the code that computes things like distance to finish, and predictions of a possible winner. The folks setting all of this up agreed to simple contract. This and other aspects will be fully functional, no matter what vendor we choose. I hope the club understands that, as was stated in several meetings, this was an experiment.
Brian

Submarino
07-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Thanks for your work and the explanation Brian! The tracker has kept me engaged in the SSS!

brianb
07-11-2015, 11:32 PM
I turned all the trackers on in ALameda. They were put on boats on 7/8 (thanks Jan) and 7/9, at the race start. BOats that received them were sitting in their slips or at the GGYC. The only voyeuristic aspect was watching me drive home on 7/8 with 4 trackers in my car. All skippers new they were on, so no hidden tracking going on. As to someone out sailing today ? That tracker was inside my car crossing the San Rafel bridge, sorry.

Submarino
07-11-2015, 11:49 PM
Crazy Rhythm has finished reading "War and Peace" and is east bound at 3.5 knots. Tenacious he was and being the smallest boat and tallest dude, he must have tired of Yoga also. Hats Off to All of you! The most painful bobbing I have spectated!

Philpott
07-12-2015, 07:38 AM
I turned all the trackers on in ALameda. They were put on boats on 7/8 (thanks Jan) and 7/9, at the race start. BOats that received them were sitting in their slips or at the GGYC. The only voyeuristic aspect was watching me drive home on 7/8 with 4 trackers in my car. All skippers new they were on, so no hidden tracking going on. As to someone out sailing today ? That tracker was inside my car crossing the San Rafel bridge, sorry.

That tracker in your car, at a cost of $0.20 per two hours, cost an additional $2.40, am I right? I'll pick up the expense. Your mileage and time? Worth a $$$million. Thanks for all that time and attention to detail, Brian.

solosailor
07-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Go David....! Only a few miles this AM from the turning point.

Jan Brewer
07-12-2015, 08:51 AM
FINALLY heard from NINA this a.m. and he was close to Mile Rock at 6:13 a.m. and headed home. He's got to be to work on Monday so . . . everything else just fine. Neither one of his VHFs seemed to work right though so . . . glad to finally hear from him.

Heard from LIGHTSPEED only 55 miles from turnaround he says.

Paul Elliott
07-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Yay David and Temerity! By my reckoning, he is crossing the turn-around line about now.

Submarino
07-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Any news about Southernaire, the Catalina 309? I don't believe he opted for a tracker.

Gamayun
07-12-2015, 01:31 PM
It's really fun now that I'm back on land to read these posts. I see some of the boats are still racing along at a respectable 1.5-2 knots of boat speed ;) Their skippers' patience is incredible! I am particularly impressed with Jacqueline. We crossed her path numerous times along Mouton Noir's route and she continues to stick with it. I really hope she makes it all the way to the turnaround point.

For us, and despite the hours of bobbing in no wind, the conditions could not have been nicer, which made napping easy. We had whales swimming along at night and exhaling nearby for as long as an hour at times. The night sky also cleared on Saturday to give us shooting stars and a glorious Milky Way. It was really very nice.

The last bit of boat work on Kynntana (ahem) involves installing my new AP and upgraded electronics, and a haul out. I plan to get that all done by end of August. Let's definitely pick a date (or maybe even a couple options to ensure we don't repeat these weather conditions) for the LatePac.

Carliane

brianb
07-12-2015, 01:50 PM
He was anchored in Pt Reyes area and heading in after that.

The Smokester
07-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Are there any boats still racing that don't have trackers?

Jan Brewer
07-12-2015, 06:18 PM
No. Geez, this site said my "no" was too short an answer. Imagine a girl being told she needed to say more?

Submarino
07-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Crazy Rhythm touched dock around 9 p.m. Very frustrating out there as the wisps of wind came and went. He is in good spirits and I expect he will be seeking a qualifier between now and Hawaii!

solosailor
07-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Keep pushing David !

Gamayun
07-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Yeah, Temerity! They're really moving now.

Jacqueline is almost at the turnaround, too. WOOOHOOO!

I can't wait to hear all their stories about this one :)

Gamayun
07-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Black-footed albatross looking for a handout behind Mouton Noir.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-footed_Albatross/lifehistory

Philpott
07-13-2015, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=Gamayun;11696]Black-footed albatross looking for a handout behind Mouton Noir. ATTACH=CONFIG]1019[/ATTACH]

Expecting French wine, no doubt, given the name

Critter
07-13-2015, 03:52 PM
The tracker hasn't updated for me since 4 or 5 this morning. Anybody else seeing this? I've refreshed the page, didn't help.
Edit: Never mind, it's good now. Maybe I embarrassed it by complaining.

Philpott
07-13-2015, 04:24 PM
The tracker hasn't updated for me since 4 or 5 this morning. Anybody else seeing this? I've refreshed the page, didn't help.
Edit: Never mind, it's good now. Maybe I embarrassed it by complaining.

Temerity still shows nothing after 5am ish on my computer. What did you say to embarrass it? I'll do the same.

BobJ
07-13-2015, 04:28 PM
I'll put my "tracker" lapel button back on.

WBChristie
07-13-2015, 05:00 PM
wait 45 seconds after opening the tracker .. it will refresh

captleasure
07-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Big hats off to the guys who stuck it out! It was a tough call to bail out but Tortugas prospects weren't looking good to finish on time with the light wind. here are some pix and videos of my drift fest
https://cluster.co/i/9VV7SW

Philpott
07-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Brian Boschma called the fleet @ 8pm tonight from the top of some mountain. Some very high mountain. He had the antenna he used to contact Rob Macfarlane four years ago. At that time Rob was participating in the 2011 Long Pac and Brian was able to communicate with him on Tiger Beetle 200 miles offshore. Tonight only David on Temerity responded to Brian's attempt to communicate. There have been issues with LongPacers' vhf reception in this race. Participants have noted that they have been unable to communicate even with each other.

David said that he expects to finish tomorrow morning at approximately 3am. His plan is to sail past the finish @ the Golden Gate Yacht Club and continue on to his slip in Alameda. He asked how many boats were still on the course. Brian told him that there are still five boats on the course. David didn't ask where they were. He didn't ask if they were ahead of him. David doesn't realize that, unless he crashes into a tanker he will win the Long Pac. I hope he doesn't crash into a tanker. This is so much fun. I'm going to look up Temerity's AIS position.

kapiib
07-13-2015, 10:13 PM
"He had the antenna he used to contact Rob Macfarlane four years ago. At that time Rob was participating in the 2011 Long Pac and Brian was able to communicate with him on Tiger Beetle 200 miles offshore. "

Actually, just for accuracy, it was the 2013 Long Pac, and we (on Tiger Beetle) were not terribly far beyond the Farallones when we talked to him around 8pm the first night of that race. It was still amazing to be talking to him that far out and he was clear as a bell to us. We had already retired and were heading back when we talked to him. He did later on in the race contact someone else much further out than we had been, I believe it was Maris, but ask Brian.

Oh and if you are having difficulty with the refresh of the trackers - i.e. the 5am track time issue - try switching browsers to Mozilla. Apparently there is a known issue with some Internet Explorer and Chrome browser versions. They are working on that.

brianb
07-13-2015, 10:37 PM
David also noted 20 25 kt winds, seas from an unexpected direction, one autopilot actuator mounting bracket is broken. He is hand steering a lot. He noted that a bit calmer conditions closer to shore would be a nice relief. At 2010 PDT he was 38 miles due west of the first San Francisco entry channel.

Paul Elliott
07-13-2015, 10:38 PM
Temerity is showing up via AIS on Marinetraffic.com now. David is currently about halfway between Pt. Reyes and the South Farallon Islands, doing 6.9 kts. Way to go Temerity!

This should be a link to Temerity on Marinetraffic.com: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:395548/zoom:10

Jan Brewer
07-13-2015, 11:29 PM
You just gotta love this group. I am so so so SO lucky to be hanging out in this awesome spot -- GGYC -- to wait on TEMERITY to cross the finish line. Thank Goddess for George who is sticking past his shift to shoot the gun, Charlie from Napa is here and John S/V OWL brought his boat down to the party this afternoon. After SOUTHERNAIRE came back in the Bay he stopped by here and chatted us up for an hour or two. Just all round great day to be in SF.

solosailor
07-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Way to go David !!!!

ChrisH
07-14-2015, 09:29 AM
"He did later on in the race contact someone else much further out than we had been, I believe it was Maris, but ask Brian..

It was early morning during the 2013 LongPac and Carroll E was only a few miles away from the turnaround. I was making coffee trying to maintain a steady hand in order to keep hot water aimed at the grinds and not the crotch of my foulies. I had the VHF volume turned up, but well squelched, to alarm me during the previous night if hailed. All of sudden Brian's voice thundered out of the speaker as crystal-clear as if he were right there in the cockpit! I recall the conversation being brief, I think I was having a "is this God, and how did he do that" moment.

Congrats to the fleet on an heroic show of perseverance! i was going to ghost the race this year, but lost interest the day before having seen the forecast.

Chris

BobJ
07-14-2015, 10:48 AM
LIGHTSPEED just passed the COLREGS line at 9 knots SOG - must feel good after all the other . . . go Rick!

kapiib
07-14-2015, 02:00 PM
It was early morning during the 2013 LongPac and Carroll E was only a few miles away from the turnaround. I was making coffee trying to maintain a steady hand in order to keep hot water aimed at the grinds and not the crotch of my foulies. I had the VHF volume turned up, but well squelched, to alarm me during the previous night if hailed. All of sudden Brian's voice thundered out of the speaker as crystal-clear as if he were right there in the cockpit! I recall the conversation being brief, I think I was having a "is this God, and how did he do that" moment.

Congrats to the fleet on an heroic show of perseverance! i was going to ghost the race this year, but lost interest the day before having seen the forecast.

Chris

Aha! I was close - at least I got the Dana 24 part right in my memory!! :)

ChrisH
07-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Aha! I was close - at least I got the Dana 24 part right in my memory!! :)

In the spirit of s/v Space Cowboy, I should probably restate my mind-set and thoughts at the time as "am I hydrated, and is this an alien abduction about to take place."

kapiib
07-14-2015, 02:57 PM
LOL - Thanks for the giggle - made my afternoon. After being up at 3am listening to Temerity arrive and the marina visit, I'm feeling a tad like the good ship s/v S.C. myself. In total tracker land no less, GPLR on one page and TB on another heading into CA customs which I will be able to watch on webcam. Gotta love technology...I'm sure the aliens are watching us. :)