PDA

View Full Version : Your PRO Update -- Texting

Jan Brewer
07-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Hi all y'all,
I am so impressed with all this reporting on how many GPSs, etc. y'all have on board.

Now as PRO I had the epithany last week that I needed to text. As PRO I am the one who needs to be communicating with you folks so would you please add my # to your satphones, trackers, etc.

I am texting now so 510-684-5555.

Thanks and have a good race,

Jan

Gamayun
07-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Way to go, Jan :)

We appreciate everything you're doing to run the race well!!

Could a Twitter account be next....?

Jan Brewer
07-07-2015, 02:17 PM
A Twitter account? Hmmmm, maybe Instagram first? Gotta share this one. One of you racers who shall remain nameless (I can be bribed though) called this afternoon -- by mistake. He was plugging me into his phone so he could text me. Poor guy, he ended up having to shoot the shit with me 'cause I even asked for the latest weather update. Then again, I could really use this new-found skill to bribe all y'all. Who's in charge of starting this race Friday for all y'all? Hmmm, where's the start? CYC? I even have a shotgun on deck too so . . .

Gamayun
07-07-2015, 02:46 PM
What did he say about the weather? It appears it's going to be calm and flat by Thursday and through the weekend. Please assure me it ain't so!

pogen
07-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Jan, what is the provider for your cell phone? I might not text , but I can email to a SMS phone, if I know the provider (ATT, Verizon, etc. )

Philpott
07-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Who's in charge of starting this race Friday for all y'all? Friday? Uh oh.

Jan Brewer
07-07-2015, 08:28 PM
I wondered who was gonna mention the -- hiccup -- Friday reference. David, my plan is through Verizon. I have been trying to text with S/V MAS and so far we have succeeded with their phone #. I heard from S/V VENTuS last night. If I remember right, Daniel says I cannot send Sat phone texts 'cause I do not have an international account or some such thang. Thanks all y'all for being patient with me. This old dog can be taught new tricks!!!

pogen
07-07-2015, 08:41 PM
OK, I sent you a text using 5106845555@vtext.com

D.

pogen
07-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Here's another useful number to put in your satphone

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg534/RCC_numbers.asp

U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Centers (RCCs)

24 hour Regional Contacts for Emergencies

RCC Alameda Commander
11th Coast Guard District
Alameda, California
California and Eastern Pacific Ocean waters

(510)437-3701

dhusselman
07-07-2015, 10:26 PM
What email address should I use to send updates during the race?

Thanks,

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

Hi all y'all,
I am so impressed with all this reporting on how many GPSs, etc. y'all have on board.

Now as PRO I had the epithany last week that I needed to text. As PRO I am the one who needs to be communicating with you folks so would you please add my # to your satphones, trackers, etc.

I am texting now so 510-684-5555.

Thanks and have a good race,

Jan

Critter
07-08-2015, 04:48 PM
What email address should I use to send updates during the race?
Thanks,
Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK
For email, I would recommend my address that's in the Comm Plan. I'll be checking it frequently. If you have either of my other two email addresses, those will work too.
Max

Jan Brewer
07-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Dirk, I would also need the emails as well so captainqueenie@gmail.com. Thanks, Jan

dhusselman
07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Dirk, I would also need the emails as well so captainqueenie@gmail.com. Thanks, Jan

Got it, thanks. I will send a test message before the start.

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK