PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded Midwinters 2015/2016

Lanikai
10-12-2015, 04:11 PM
I'm wondering if there is any single/short handed racing this winter. I don't see anything along these lines on the BYC Chowder site, so I guess all the fun you guys had last year is not available this year?
A-ha, it's the BYC Midwinters that has short-handed races, not the Chowder. I assume a few more SSS boats will accompany Nancy on the roster before the first race...hopefully even mine.
But I haven't done the PHRF thing yet. I assume I pony up $100 to certify my Cal 2-27 for the rest of the year and do it again in January? And if, mid-series, I find a proper big ol' winter jenny to replace my little 95% summer jib, I'll have to get a new certificate & rating, or amend the existing one, or? How's this stuff work?
-Adam

Gamayun
10-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the news! I had been looking for the NOR. I'm in.

Do the PHRF thing. You'll be glad you did :) You could also ask them about extending it through to 2016 since it'll be November before you have it in hand.

BobJ
10-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Funny - I lost my BYC Midwinter hat just yesterday while looking up at the Blue Angels, and I just delivered ELISE's hats from last year's series (Nathalie, they're in John's office at RYC). I plan to do the series again - let's work on getting a group together like last year.

Adam, YRA starts issuing 2016 certs on 12/15. I'll bet if you asked nice, you could get the R/C to accept a provisional rating for the first race or two - everybody knows what a Cal 2-27 rates. The standard rating assumes a 155% LP genoa. If you rate it with a 125% LP or less you get a 3 sec/mile credit. But if you have the bigger genoa I'd get rated with it - it will help in the lighter winds. I tried to get Jackie to use a genoa but she said it would make DURA MATER look fat or some such. I'm hoping she'll reconsider - I still have the sail for her.

In related news, who's in for Jackie's drunkin' brawl at Sequoia YC at the end of this month? I see TSFKA Windward Wanderer is signed up for the Great Pumpkin instead. What's up w/that?

Gamayun
10-12-2015, 09:58 PM
...In related news, who's in for Jackie's drunkin' brawl at Sequoia YC at the end of this month? I see TSFKA Windward Wanderer is signed up for the Great Pumpkin instead. What's up w/that?

OMG, so glad you mentioned that the drunken cruise out brawl is at Sequoia YC and not Coyote Point, which is what I put in my calendar. The GPR is the 23rd. The cruise out is the following weekend, which does happen to conflict with the HMBYC Pumpkin Roundup that I have promised to skipper with my friend, Sarah. We won top honors as cows last year so we have to defend our title. Something about luau skirts and coconut bras this year....so thusly, I'm doing the cruise in by land yacht and Jackie has graciously offered a berth on Dura Mater. All things covered! Hmmm, yeah, sorta.

Gamayun
10-12-2015, 10:46 PM
Before the last upgrade you had to post the pic and then delete it for it to show up (go figure). The last time I tried, a .jpg wouldn't upload at all.

Yep, upload it, post, then edit your post and delete it. Then it shows up. I love computers. This was the cow costume, right?

O'fer cryin' out loud.

pogen
10-13-2015, 08:54 AM
I created a new thread for the new winter season, and locked the old thread. Carry on.

Also, I know the picture posting is screwed up and I am working on it.

D.

Daydreamer
10-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Just checked the BYC website and the 2015-2016 Mid-winter Series NOR and registration is open.

http://www.berkeleyyc.org/race/berkeley-midwinters-2015-2016

If we get a dedicated singlehanded division I will enter that.
If we are grouped single/double handed like last year I will sign up and excercise the option to bring a guest/crew when the opportunity arises.

I had a great time with Daydreamer last season, she wasn't fast but she always received lots of compliments.
Nightmare will be fun too and is looking better all the time.

Philpott
10-13-2015, 03:19 PM
OMG, so glad you mentioned that the drunken cruise out brawl is at Sequoia YC and not Coyote Point, which is what I put in my calendar. The GPR is the 23rd. The cruise out is the following weekend, which does happen to conflict with the HMBYC Pumpkin Roundup that I have promised to skipper with my friend, Sarah. We won top honors as cows last year so we have to defend our title. Something about luau skirts and coconut bras this year....so thusly, I'm doing the cruise in by land yacht and Jackie has graciously offered a berth on Dura Mater. All things covered! Hmmm, yeah, sorta.

Luau skirts? Coconut bras? Sarah is welcome to join us on DM, with or with out the outfit, but forewarn her of the skimpier accommodations compared to Kynntana's more spacious berthing arrangements.

Philpott
10-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Dura Mater is in, with hopes that Bob can persuade Berkeley Yacht Club to have a single handed division. DM with a new Pelagic tiller pilot? Very exciting possibilities without all that zigging and zagging!

BobJ
10-13-2015, 06:19 PM
You know Bobbi, Bob G, et al better than I do. And you have those lemon things.

Gamayun
10-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Luau skirts? Coconut bras? Sarah is welcome to join us on DM, with or with out the outfit, but forewarn her of the skimpier accommodations compared to Kynntana's more spacious berthing arrangements.

That's really nice of you to offer, Jackie, but Sarah has her son on Saturday, too. They know about the SSS cruise out, but we haven't yet convinced him that sailing around all day and then getting crammed into a berth for the night are super fun things to do. Seriously. What's the matter with kids these days...?

Wylieguy
10-13-2015, 08:25 PM
I'm wondering if there is any single/short handed racing this winter. I don't see anything along these lines on the BYC Chowder site, so I guess all the fun you guys had last year is not available this year?
A-ha, it's the BYC Midwinters that has short-handed races, not the Chowder. I assume a few more SSS boats will accompany Nancy on the roster before the first race...hopefully even mine.
But I haven't done the PHRF thing yet. I assume I pony up $100 to certify my Cal 2-27 for the rest of the year and do it again in January? And if, mid-series, I find a proper big ol' winter jenny to replace my little 95% summer jib, I'll have to get a new certificate & rating, or amend the existing one, or? How's this stuff work?
-Adam

Yes, "NANCY" is signed up, but for the PHRF Full-Crew races on Saturday. I believe the Shorthanded Races are only available on SUNDAY according the the NOR and sign up forms. -- Pat B.

Jonathan Gutoff
10-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Stink Eye plans on doing both days. Crewed on Saturday and doublehanded on Sunday. We both have separation anxiety so singlehanded is a no go.

Philpott
10-13-2015, 10:05 PM
You know Bobbi, Bob G, et al better than I do. And you have those lemon things.
Lemon bread, Bob. Lemon bread.

255grizzly
10-16-2015, 04:35 PM
The Berkeley midwinters are coming up. They have short-handed racing on Sundays (1155 warning, starting at buoy XOC). If we get enough single handers, maybe we have our own division? (Great idea Jackie!) That would mean the following Sundays:

11/15/15
12/13/15
1/10/16
2/14/16
2/28/16 (champion of champions)

NOR and registration here: http://www.berkeleyyc.org/race/berkeley-midwinters-2015-2016.

It's $80 to just do the shorthanded races. Sign up if you can!

Tom
Rock On

BobJ
10-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Rags is in.

Philpott
10-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Okay, it's official: If you like your singlehanded midwinters, you can have your singlehanded midwinters. Sign up here and click on SINGLEHANDED. Hooo whee! When was the last time you saw a Midwinters series with a singlehanded division?

http://byc.regattalog.com/midwin

brianb
10-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Be sure to check the start time for the Cruise In.

brianb
10-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Redsky will make it out to the BYC MW.

BobJ
11-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Update on BYC Midwinters entries: We're at 10-11 shorthanded entries of which 4-5 are singlehanders. Not all of you have actually registered yet.

We had a total of 20 last year so get your wiggle on:

The R/C decides November 9th who gets separate starts so register early and often, and before that.

Thanks!

Tchoupitoulas
11-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Starbuck is in. Singlehanded.

Lanikai
11-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Just registered my Cal 2-27. Singlehanded spin division. They didn't offer an inboard+outboard+tiny rf jib division.
First attempt ever to singlehand the spin last weekend failed utterly. This weekend I'll master it completely and then try it again in the close company of many fancy, expertly steered yachts.
I expect the spinnaker will stay warm and cozy in the v-berth until next year. Dura Mater, you can look forward to never finishing last!

Gamayun
11-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Just registered my Cal 2-27. Singlehanded spin division. They didn't offer an inboard+outboard+tiny rf jib division.
First attempt ever to singlehand the spin last weekend failed utterly. This weekend I'll master it completely and then try it again in the close company of many fancy, expertly steered yachts.
I expect the spinnaker will stay warm and cozy in the v-berth until next year. Dura Mater, you can look forward to never finishing last!

Glad I'm not the only one with spinnaker trepidation....

Philpott
11-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Ah, the Berkeley midwinters! This is the time of year when a sailor new to the concept can practice the art of flying a spinnaker. These are the races where sailboats float in place for long long periods of time. Such floating can been seen as either an irritant or an opportunity. The singlehanded sailor, who does not enjoy the comradery of crew, can use this time for constructive activity. Unlike the Singlehanded Sailing Society, whose race chairs are willing to start races regardless of wind, the eminent race chairperson of the Berkeley midwinters does not deign to start a race without adequate wind. This offers the singlehanded sailor hours of pre-race time during which he or she has the chance to practice setting a spinnaker over and over and over again. Thus, the singlehanded sailor can raise a spinnaker, tangle it up in the jib sheets, the downhaul, the topping lift, wrap it around the forestay, drag it down or lower it gently, re-pack it, then try it all again several additional times all without moving anywhere on the water. This is the perfect venue for learning how to do all that. With an audience. So don't worry your pretty little head about that, Lanikai. Forget the phrase "To the victor go the spoils". Just try not to fall off the boat.

brianb
11-06-2015, 07:58 PM
And this is why the Berkeley circle buoys can't stay on station. As the boats raft up to the buoys in wait of a breeze and loosen the moorings.

BobJ
11-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Last year my M.O. during the postponements was to slowly motorsail through the fleet chatting with skippers and crews. Kynntana was more efficient. She apparently calculated the likely postponement time and didn't arrive until it was time for her start. Or maybe the R/C actually waited for her arrival to drop the AP - I suppose they do that for yachts.

Gamayun
11-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Last year my M.O. during the postponements was to slowly motorsail through the fleet chatting with skippers and crews. Kynntana was more efficient. She apparently calculated the likely postponement time and didn't arrive until it was time for her start. Or maybe the R/C actually waited for her arrival to drop the AP - I suppose they do that for yachts.

There's just no respect for efficient skippers who motor to the start line JUST BEFORE THE GUN ! I'm not usually late for my starts (any more) unless the RC CHANGES THE START TIMES while I'm on the bow trying to work an issue and not listening to the radio. Sheez.

I have to say that I probably shouldn't practice my anchoring skills during the postponements because when the windlass lets loose all that chain and that big anchor, it creates quite the ruckus that carries far and wide across still waters. But being the amiable sort, just let me know if you driftless types want to raft up ;) I can break out the hors d'oeuvres, too.

Philpott
11-06-2015, 09:55 PM
for efficient skippers who motor to the start line JUST BEFORE THE GUN

are you signing up or what?

BobJ
11-07-2015, 12:12 AM
. . . the singlehanded sailor can raise a spinnaker, tangle it up in the jib sheets, the downhaul, the topping lift, wrap it around the forestay, drag it down or lower it gently . . .

"Hey Fred, have you seen the kite?"

"No skip - I did what you said and lowered it gently, then it just disappeared!"

Philpott
11-07-2015, 11:33 AM

"Hey Fred, have you seen the kite?"

"No skip - I did what you said and lowered it gently, then it just disappeared!"
It may be subteranean but I'll bet it was the first one set

Daydreamer
11-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Whew! For a minute there I thought you had a picture of my douse at HMB, but there are too many people on the boat!

Hey, with all this talk of light air, don't forget last November's Midwinters got pretty blustery.

Gamayun
11-08-2015, 10:37 AM
are you signing up or what?

Yes, I did! And to push the envelope, I'm in the spinnaker division. Doublehand, though.

Watch it blast 25 knots all winter....

Philpott
11-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Watch it blast 25 knots all winter.... Dura Mater will not be raising a spinnaker in 25 knots. Oh no no no

solosailor
11-10-2015, 08:49 AM
I wish the BYC website would show divisions..... can't tell who is singlehanded and who is double.

BobJ
11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
The R/C says as of this morning there are 5 doublehanders and 12 singlehanders. Between this thread and remembering last year, you can probably figure out who the doublehanders are.

Tchoupitoulas
11-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Is there any more online info or is this list of participants all there is?

Daydreamer
11-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Is there any more online info or is this list of participants all there is?

Other than the NOR,that's it until they post the SI Thursday evening where we should get to see divisions.

solosailor
11-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Divisions are up in the SIs...... but you still can't tell what boat is in what class, bummer.

BobJ
11-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Like my Mom used to say, the phone works in BOTH directions. (Same for e-mail.)

TWO divisions of singlehanders - wow! Looks like C (DH)=7, F=7 and G=6. We'll see how close I am when the splits are published.

Note this: Old Bay Bridge Demolition Information
Date: 11-12-15
Your Race Committee has just learned that the waters under the entire Eastern Span of the Bay Bridge will be closed to mariners from 0600, 14 November to Midnight, 16 November, 2015. So, if you are coming from Alameda for the Midwinter races Saturday or Sunday, it would be a good idea to leave early enough to allow time to transit under the Bay Bridge on the West side of YBI/Treasure Island.

Gamayun
11-13-2015, 12:29 PM
I just talked to Bobbi because of the spinnaker rating (or not) on my PHRF. She says, right now, there are 13 single-handers in two divisions and 8 DH, but this is going to change because she just received a bunch more. Modified SIs will be out later this afternoon.

As to the Bay Bridge demolition, apparently there are going to be viewing parties lined up to watch the explosions. Not sure how much they're going to see or hear because it's all going to occur underwater, but there is anticipation in the air. I was planning to dive the boat on Saturday....hmm, perhaps I'll race with a dirty bottom instead.

BobJ
11-14-2015, 11:00 AM
You can clean the bottom now:

Ka-Boom! (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/San-Francisco-Bay-Bridge-Pier-Implosion-348101361.html)

Meantime, we're on page two:

Shorthanded Midwinters Entries (http://www.berkeleyyc.org/system/files/files/racing/2015/Sunday%20Entrants%20as%20of%202200%20Nov.%2013th.p df)

Philpott
11-14-2015, 11:44 AM
OMG! Look at the competition! This is what I get for wearing big girl pants. Sigh! (photo, NorCal Sailing)

Singlehanded 2 (132 & up) Flag G Time on Time 6 Boats Fleet: 13
Sail No. Skipper Boat Name Boat Class/Model Rating
39963 Tony Castruccio Wind Speed J 30 141
8666 Stephen Buckingham Starbuck Black Soo Mod 144
18198 Tom Cavers Rock On Olson 25 159
3803 Adam Santaniello Happiness Cal 2-27 198
616 Jackie Philpott Dura Mater Cal 2-27 210
8843 John Dukat Critical Mass Mancebo 24 216

Tchoupitoulas
11-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Nice Photo. See you out there in your big girl pants.

BobJ
11-15-2015, 08:13 PM
It was sporty out there today. Both Ragtimes rocked it:

Today's line. (http://www.berkeleyyc.org/sites/default/files/files/racing/2015/November%20Sunday%20Results.pdf)

brianb
11-15-2015, 10:27 PM
They were in the wash.

It was sporty out there today. Both Ragtimes rocked it:

Today's line. (http://www.berkeleyyc.org/sites/default/files/files/racing/2015/November%20Sunday%20Results.pdf)

So sporting you had to put them in the wash after the race ?

Philpott
11-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Whew! There were whitecaps in the Berkeley Marina at 10:30 am, halyards clanking, wind whistling. In the Berkeley Yacht Club the knotmeter read 18 knots. According to Sailflow the wind increased during the course of the afternoon and stayed in the high twenties. People who were out there can confirm.

I Raised DM's mainsail at the dock, reefed the main. Thought about it. Reefed again. Better to race reefed than not race. Backed out of the slip and flew around O Dock where I watched Tom Cavers raise his boat's mainsail in the main fairway. He had his autopilot engaged and was on starboard making some adjustment when the wind caught his sail and that boat just leaped forward! Like a horse at the gate! Those Olson 25s are quick! Rock On! looked ready to roll. Did I mention that there was wind? That boat heeled so hard the rudder was out of the water.

Dura Mater and I left the marina, headed toward Richmond because there were some OCSC school boats over toward the pier. Engaging my magnificent new Pelagic autopilot, I unfurled Dura Mater's jib and sailed a short bit before tacking to port. But what's this? The port jib sheet caught at the base of the furler on the cleat at the bow, causing the jib to do that whole flap flap flap routine. A real loud kerfuffle. The water was splashing over the boat, the waves were bouncing it and me up and down like a hobby horse. Not like a race horse. Not like Rock On! which was sailing by beautifully, a waving Tom aboard. So of course I had to crawl up to the bow in order to disengage the jib sheet. Got drenched. Used bad language. As I headed back I saw that the outer sheathing of my starboard jib sheet had separated from the rope inside, and the whole mess had jammed up inside the block on the jib track. Flap! Flap! Flap! I couldn't disentangle it, and ended up having to cut it out back at the dock.

This is a sad old story. These were old jib sheets – they came with the boat and I should have replaced them earlier. Skip told me to replace them. But I didn’t, did I? No. Instead I was waiting a little longer, maybe for a sale at Svendsen’s. Maybe Santa would bring new jib sheets for DM. Either way, they caused me to miss Midwinters and it was my own damned fault.

BobJ
11-16-2015, 09:04 AM
Okay, she had them on after all. Way to go DURA MATER! I have lots of spares (jib sheets, not big-girl pants) - what length(s) do you need?

Tony C's WIND SPEED (the other blue 30' J Boat) and RAGS are next to each other at RYC and we compared notes yesterday morning. He opted out, I opted in. The forecast was spot-on: a steady 20-25 with higher puffs later in the afternoon. Kudos to all who ventured out, especially the singlehanders.

The R/C called Course 7 for everyone so they wouldn't have to set marks: An eight mile sausage course twice around, using the old "G" and "C" cans on the Circle. It appeared everyone remembered the start/finish line was restricted. I saw spinnakers only on a couple of the fully-crewed boats.

Getting up to "G" both times was a thrashing excercise, with the flat jib keeping the bow down and sailing on the battens. On some of the puffs I couldn't get the mainsheet out of the cam cleat quick enough, showing more of Rags' bum than usual and slopping some water into the cockpit. Somewhere I jettisoned a jib batten.

On the first run down to "C" I tried sailing wing-on-wing without a pole. That seemed kind of slow so on the second run I sailed angles and jibed more. On the final beat to the finish I tacked too soon and couldn't lay the committee boat - that cost me some extra time because extra tacks were really slow - they almost brought me to a stop.

Other than the batten and a full season's worth of aging on the sails, all was good. When's the next one?

255grizzly
11-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Oh no! I couldn't tell what was going on with you as I sailed by (it wasn't as fast as your portray!)

That race was a doozy! My power died 10 min before the start (I'm not sure why yet.) So no autopilot, no gps, no wind speed.

I was totally confused on the first beat. I had a good start, but I started right next to someone who was supposed to be in the Singlehanded Division 1. It took me a while to be sure that I had started at the right time (I started at 1230, I'm convinced the other boat started late).

In addition, I wasn't sure what the bearing to G was (no power, no onboard gps; the gps in my vhf didn't have the mark in it.) When I finally got my head out of the boat, I realized I was sailing way too far on the left side of the course.

Adding to the misery, I made too many tacks getting around the mark (I've become too dependent on my gps!) Ug!

Rest of the race went okay, but I don't think I ever recovered from that terrible first beat!

Daydreamer
11-16-2015, 10:45 AM
What fun, definitely a workout!

I was happy Sunday morning when the rain stopped and the sun came out.

Rigged the spinnaker pole before setting out from Marina Bay.
By the time I got to Berkeley I thought I would rather not set.

Started with a full main and 100 jib for the trip to Berkeley and tucked in a reef before the start.
Probably would have sailed better with a second reef as I was dumping a lot from the main.

Quite lumpy going to weather and the tiller pilot wouldn't tack through so I had my hands full, so to speak.
Of course my worst tack was right at the committee boat to finish.
I continue to evolve the way I do things to be more efficient and hopefully make fewer mistakes.

Then a nice bash back to the marina.

Philpott
11-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Nice Photo. See you out there in your big girl pants. I did look forward to seeing you , and I know you raced. I also see the DNF. What happened?

BobJ
11-24-2015, 10:49 AM
The two 2-27's have been out practicing for the next Midwinter race:

ronnie simpson
11-24-2015, 12:19 PM
That is the best thing i've ever seen Bob J, I want to try that sometime. Sharing is caring.

Daydreamer
12-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Well, today's race is cancelled due to gale warning. Bummer.

Time to chase leaks and finish those Christmas cards.

Bummer

BobJ
12-13-2015, 09:22 AM
No kidding. With the races a whole month apart I'm raring to go when race day comes.

Oh well, we could be living on the East Coast with our boats stuck in a shed until May.

Philpott
12-13-2015, 11:09 AM
No kidding. With the races a whole month apart I'm raring to go when race day comes.

This is so disappointing. Dura Mater has a new (to her) jib sheet AND a freshly painted bottom. I propose that we re-visit the Singlehanded Alcatraz Challenge. It has been almost five months since that historic race, and Tom Cavers' beautiful trophy photograph has been in a place of honor on my politically incorrect fireplace mantle long enough.

Let's race again next weekend! from the Berkeley Yacht Club buoy around Alcatraz and back. Wrest it from DM if you are able! All singlehanders invited. Saturday/December 19/Max ebb 3.1 ebb @10am or Sunday/December 20/max ebb 3.8 @ 11 am.

Philpott
01-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Berkeley Midwinters tomorrow and there are 25 - count 'em - twenty five singlehanders registered! That's not even counting the singlehanders who are doublehanding tomorrow. It's gonna be cold. It might be wet. There might be wind. There might not be any wind at all. But sure as shootin' there are gonna be singlehanders on the Olympic Circle tomorrow.

Gamayun
01-09-2016, 09:06 PM
Berkeley Midwinters tomorrow and there are 25 - count 'em - twenty five singlehanders registered! That's not even counting the singlehanders who are doublehanding tomorrow. It's gonna be cold. It might be wet. There might be wind. There might not be any wind at all. But sure as shootin' there are gonna be singlehanders on the Olympic Circle tomorrow.

Sure is warm in my cabin right now. And no wind likely tomorrow. Hmmm. Mebe....mebe not.

BobJ
01-10-2016, 08:38 PM
No big girl pants for you!

I don't take good boat pictures. I talked to Christine (STINK EYE) about it on the dock this afternoon. Christine takes great boat pictures - she's a pro. She gave me the pro's secret and here it is - are you ready? "Only take pictures of the boats CLOSE to you."

I didn't do that today but here's what I have:

BobJ
01-10-2016, 08:54 PM
There was pretty good breeze early - I even had a reef in the main. Dirk sailed by and asked what the deal was with the reef. That made me self-conscious so I shook it out. What Dirk didn't know was I had the big #2 (145%) rolled up on the furler. This would prove helpful later.

The R/C's mark boat came up AWOL so we were postponed while they and MOTORCYCLE IRENE (thanks Will!) got the marks set. By then the breeze was dropping off a bit. Everybody got the same eight-mile windward-leeward course and as the breeze continued to decrease, the later divisions suffered towards the end. But I have to say, it was GREAT being out there racing today. It was pretty nice and most boats got back to their slips before the sprinkles started.

Aboard RAGTIME! things went pretty well. I got a decent start and had a good first leg. After rounding the windward mark I set the spinnaker. But it was wonky. It looked okay but it just wasn't pulling the boat along as normal - we were slow. I wouldn't figure out why until the second time around - I'd forgotten to extend the sprit! Not racing for two months will do that to you. The second run went much better although the breeze was less.

Most singlehanders set kites so it was good practice for everyone.

Well anyway, a great day racing with my buds - thanks for coming out!

dhusselman
01-10-2016, 09:21 PM
There was pretty good breeze early - I even had a reef in the main. Dirk sailed by and asked what the deal was with the reef. That made me self-conscious so I shook it out. What Dirk didn't know was I had the big #2 (145%) rolled up on the furler. This would prove helpful later.

The R/C's mark boat came up AWOL so we were postponed while they and MOTORCYCLE IRENE (thanks Will!) got the marks set. By then the breeze was dropping off a bit. Everybody got the same eight-mile windward-leeward course and as the breeze continued to decrease, the later divisions suffered towards the end. But I have to say, it was GREAT being out there racing today. It was pretty nice and most boats got back to their slips before the sprinkles started.

Aboard RAGTIME! things went pretty well. I got a decent start and had a good first leg. After rounding the windward mark I set the spinnaker. But it was wonky. It looked okay but it just wasn't pulling the boat along as normal - we were slow. I wouldn't figure out why until the second time around - I'd forgotten to extend the sprit! Not racing for two months will do that to you. The second run went much better although the breeze was less.

Most singlehanders set kites so it was good practice for everyone.

Well anyway, a great day racing with my buds - thanks for coming out!

Bob, you were well out in front and going really well! It's a great event to get going on racing and boat handling. My boat felt much slower as usual (compared to other boats). I hope mostly because of a very dirty bottom and mistakes made by me. First mark I got in trouble with another boat and had to bail and go around. Spinnaker run was not bad. Great to be out there and I'm looking forward to the 3BF.

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

Gamayun
01-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Sounds like it was a really nice, but light wind race. I had been watching that weird wind all day and was kinda jonesing to go, but I ended up getting a TON of boat projects done and just now finished a cost proposal. I'm feeling really good. There's always next month!!! I might also have new paint on the bottom and a spinnaker flying by then :)

Daydreamer
01-11-2016, 10:42 AM
That was fun !!

Had a good start with Ragtime! and TIDJ. Then Bob hit the afterburner and took off!

Did two sets and douses with the spinnaker, of course if you were watching, you might call it something different!

My biggest time killer was sorting out the jib, jib sheets, and the pole after dousing at the leeward mark. And watching it slip past.
Timing and planning.

Hey Dirk, hope I didn't mess you up at the first mark, we were pacing each other pretty well till I rounded and then began wrastling with the spinnaker.

Didn't take many pictures myself. Here is one of FUGU. (I know, he's doublehanding)

BobJ
01-11-2016, 11:04 AM
For me, hitting the afterburner upwind is getting the genoa trimmed just right and then hand-steering to its telltails.

Even though we were on the Berkeley flats I think the big ebb was a factor. The boats that stayed left sailed a shorter distance. I think we may have had a little more pressure on that side too, at least for the first lap. Several of you tacked away after the start and ended up on the right side of the course, then had to work back to the windward mark against the ebb. The same thing happened on the second beat.

(If that sounds backwards to those who weren't there, the wind was ENE.)

Philpott
01-12-2016, 01:08 AM
It was cold and there was a postponement, and not much wind toward the end, then it started to sprinkle, and ... it was indeed a splendid day to be on the water, wasn't it? Sailors just wanna be on the water! I had a terrific time!

Philpott
01-12-2016, 02:24 AM
It was cold and there was a postponement, and not much wind toward the end, then it started to sprinkle, and ... it was indeed a splendid day to be on the water, wasn't it? Sailors just wanna be on the water! I had a terrific time!

Lots of SSS burgees out there!

Daydreamer
02-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Well, that's a wrap for this seasons Berkeley Midwinters.

I had a great time! How about you?

See preliminary results here,
http://www.berkeleyyc.org/sites/default/files/files/racing/2016/2016%20Sunday%20Cumulative%20thru%20February.pdf

Here is a flicker page with some good photos. (some not so good, you'll see!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lben/sets/72157662363192443

See you out there!

BobJ
02-16-2016, 11:04 AM
I had a great time! How about you?

Those are great photos, especially of you. Nice job carrying that kite on a headstay reach. It's always good for an upper body workout!

The forecasters sure missed it - the NNW never materialized. Once the R/C gave up trying to move the marks around it was looking like a fetch both ways. Nathan (ELISE) and I set up for a port tack start at the pin. There was a little more breeze down there and a great angle to the windward mark without a tack. Jindrich (GRACE) was down there too but I lost track of him after our start. (Jindrich was playing with a new code zero on a furler - it was a good day for it.)

Not only was it a fetch to the windward mark but I was able to crack off slightly for speed. I'd left the reaching kite unpacked at home and was having serious doubts about the runner but rigged it anyway. Letting the autopilot drive while doing all that was slow and the crack team on MOTORCYCLE IRENE stayed with me - they were on their second sausage.

After rounding I saw the boats ahead struggling with their kites so I opted for a rail lead on the #2 and left the kite in the bag. I confess that when ELISE went by (still headed upwind) I pulled out the sprit so he'd assume I was setting. From there on it was a parade down to the leeward mark and back to the finish. Unfettered by needing to douse, a clean leeward rounding allowed me to fetch the pin end of the line without being hard on the wind.

A shirtsleeves-and-shorts midwinter race on San Francisco Bay - gotta love it! Thanks again to all who came out for the series.

Philpott
02-16-2016, 01:09 PM
That was a fun day, although I loathe postponements. I had my spinnaker all ready to go and the day was perfect for it. Crawled up to the bow and readied everything when I realized that the boats ahead of me at the mark weren't raising their kites. Why? Because they were on beam reaches after the rounding. Well, hell! I was going to set my spinnaker anyway cuz it's pretty and fun to trim. Note to self for the future: 1/ wait until after rounding to roll up the jib; and 2/ figure out how to stuff that into the bag so as not to get the dreaded hourglass. Sigh. Here are a couple of photos. Nice seeing you all out there.

Henry D
02-16-2016, 01:22 PM
"(Jindrich was playing with a new code zero on a furler - it was a good day for it.)"

Jindrich - I go by Henry.
Great day for the Code 0, although I hoped that I will make bigger inroads:-)
The sail is not new, I have been using it since early 2013 in SoCal during the PSSA races.
My boat has wide shrouds and I can't have overlapping sails, so I decided on the Code0, after over two years of usage, I am very happy with the sail.
One of the Code 0's advantages is that it could be easily furled and un-furled.
Looking forward to use it again during the Corinthian race.

Gamayun
02-16-2016, 06:55 PM
It was a FANTASTIC day! Beccie had not been out on the water since around October, I think. Other than the drift to the windward mark, everything picked up nicely and we had a quick once around. We won't dwell on the DFL placing, both in the series and this race, other than to say that it would have been great to have raced more this winter. I have to say that Bobbi Tossi and her crew are top notch. Beccie and I were commenting on how well she runs the races and we love her voice over the radio. During the postponement, we also enjoyed catching up on each other's lives and saying hi to everyone like the social butterflies we are not. Then we had a nice beam reach past Treasure Island where we came to a dead stop past the Bay Bridge heading to my new home in the estuary. The clothes came off (ha, I mean the foulies and fleece!) and the beers came out while we motored back to the slip in the blazing sun. Northern California at its best :)

BobJ
02-16-2016, 10:15 PM
I'll get in trouble for this but it's worth it.

We're drifting around during the postponement and Jackie asks if we'd like some music. (Sure!) So she puts on some Bob Dylan and cranks it. With Greg (NIGHTMARE) in earshot, I holler over that I still have Jackie's little black dress (http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1354-6-tape-vs-luff-wire&p=9872#post9872) in my car. Greg says "That doesn't sound right." I quickly correct my comment to "Dura Mater's little black dress" and Jackie attempts to explain. Then it all got kinda quiet.

Gamayun
02-17-2016, 12:01 AM
Yeah, yeah, so you say. What happens on the water, stays on the water :)

Right, Jackie?

Philpott
02-17-2016, 08:32 AM
Yeah, yeah, so you say. What happens on the water, stays on the water :)

Right, Jackie?

Bob has offered me a black mylar jib for Dura Mater. Hence the "little black dress". He thinks I want to go faster. Ragtime! has so much bling he thinks DM needs some, too. I prefer shabby chic for my boat, + I don't want to have to take it down and roll it up every time. Greg did turn around and raise his eyebrows. I explained.

JohnS
02-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Bob has offered me a black mylar jib for Dura Mater. Hence the "little black dress". He thinks I want to go faster. Ragtime! has so much bling he thinks DM needs some, too. I prefer shabby chic for my boat, + I don't want to have to take it down and roll it up every time. Greg did turn around and raise his eyebrows. I explained.

What???

First, that is a nice looking sail you've been offered, Jacki.

Second, you keep Dura Mater in the water so you are already far, far short on post race/sail chores. Half the fun is grinding through rolling up 3, 4 or 5 sails, repacking a couple of kites, coiling up several thousand yards of spaghetti and then hoisting the boat onto the trailer. Really, you should try it sometime. It truly adds to the experience.

And finally, if you are stuck with just one available headsail on a furler, what do you do during the race with no sail changes to contemplate, get wrong, undo, then redo, then undo again? Even the Melges 24 crowd gets to wind up and unwind the shrouds to change gears.

I bet you just sit there eating cookies and listening to music.

Philpott
02-17-2016, 10:31 AM
What???

First, that is a nice looking sail you've been offered, Jacki.

Second, you keep Dura Mater in the water so you are already far, far short on post race/sail chores. Half the fun is grinding through rolling up 3, 4 or 5 sails, repacking a couple of kites, coiling up several thousand yards of spaghetti and then hoisting the boat onto the trailer. Really, you should try it sometime. It truly adds to the experience.

And finally, if you are stuck with just one available headsail on a furler, what do you do during the race with no sail changes to contemplate, get wrong, undo, then redo, then undo again? Even the Melges 24 crowd gets to wind up and unwind the shrouds to change gears.

I bet you just sit there eating cookies and listening to music.

Is this John Shannon? For a season I crewed on Dire Straits over in Alameda. At the end of the day I did assist in getting it up and out of the water, onto the trailer and back into its parking space. All that after rolling up the sails and coiling the lines. Even with four other women helping, it took awhile. And did I mention there were other people? Very nice people, but still.

With no winch covers or bench cushions or hanks for the jib, in her upwind slip, I can rig DM, raise her sail and be out of the slip in 15 minutes. No bling can compensate for that. Those boats with crews look happy. Sweaty but happy. Like bees in a hive from afar. And yes, cookies are good. :-)

Philpott
02-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Hey, Henry (S/V Grace) I have your second place award from the Berkeley Yacht Club. If you plan to come into the Corinthian after the race I will have it on DM (500 euro duty/free!). If not, let me know how I can get it to you. Tom Boussie, I have your third place award. I can also throw your awards from boat to boat to you both before the start of the Corinthian.

Henry D
02-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Hey, Henry (S/V Grace) I have your second place award from the Berkeley Yacht Club. If you plan to come into the Corinthian after the race I will have it on DM (500 euro duty/free!). If not, let me know how I can get it to you. Tom Boussie, I have your third place award. I can also throw your awards from boat to boat to you both before the start of the Corinthian.

Jackie,
That sounds like a good reason to stop by at Corinthian:-)and even 500 Euro is bargain.
Thanks a lot

tboussie
03-01-2016, 08:43 PM

Jackie,

Sadly, I will be out of town on the 19th and will miss the Corinthian race. Please keep my 3rd place Berkeley Midwinters award on your boat and we will arrange a mid-ocean transfer some time in the future. God knows my sailing trophy case has plenty of available room.

Tom

Philpott
03-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Jackie,

Sadly, I will be out of town on the 19th and will miss the Corinthian race. Please keep my 3rd place Berkeley Midwinters award on your boat and we will arrange a mid-ocean transfer some time in the future. God knows my sailing trophy case has plenty of available room.

Tom

"mid-ocean transfer". Now that sounds like an adventure. I'm looking forward to it.