PDA

View Full Version : I must be almost ready, 'cause

AlanH
05-31-2008, 06:01 PM
...I'm to the point where I'm spending money and just stuffing receipts in a bag, instead of totting it up as I go.

Fer example.... I went down to the boat at sunrise this morning (or rather o' gray thirty) ...put on the jacklines, fueled up the outboard, and plugged in the autopilot to head up to Tiburon for the Corinthian race and........eh? What's this? The autopilot won't power up. After a quick disassembly I find that the circuit board is getting 12 volts, but nuttin' is happening.

@&^I}U(*&^Q!

So I took a nap,did one or two little projects on the boat, went home and bought two new autopilots from Defender without even twitching..

John Hayward
05-31-2008, 06:42 PM
I went "over budget" months ago. That may not be totally true in that I only know how much I have pulled out of savings and it's way more than I intended, but not 100% is going to the race directly or indirectly. The positive side, for those of us not planning to sell our boats in HI, is that if I want to do it again in 2010, I may only have the entry fee to deal with????

This race is important to all of the participants or they wouldn't devote the time, effort and money to it. This goes for first timers and vets alike. I could have just picked a weather window, jumped in my boat and gone. This is *much* more fun!

There are two types of people in the world, those that dream of doing it and those that think we're all crazy. Trying to explain it to anyone that thinks it's crazy is a total waste of time. Many of the people that dream of doing it won't, but they *do* understand.

I have dreamed about sailing alone to HI since I was in my twenties. I recovered that dream recently and now have the time, the money and the inclination. I'm going.............

Besides, I think 90+% of the work is getting to the starting line??????

John
Dream Chaser

nereida
05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
............There are two types of people in the world, those that dream of doing it and those that think we're all crazy. Trying to explain it to anyone that thinks it's crazy is a total waste of time. Many of the people that dream of doing it won't, but they *do* understand.

I have dreamed about sailing alone to HI since I was in my twenties. I recovered that dream recently and now have the time, the money and the inclination. I'm going.............

Besides, I think 90+% of the work is getting to the starting line??????

John
Dream Chaser

John - Your boat is very aptly named! So glad you not only got your dream back.. but are acting it out ... Good luck to you ... & I couldn't agree more with your 'crazy' statement .... people that have never done it, or been involved, have no clue what it's all about .... (& Jimmy Buffett doesn't help them with 'Margaritaville' either!)
I think I'm very lucky to be 'living the dream' already... but I feel I'm just beginning a good part of that "90+% of the work" just now ..... in trying to get to the start line from here in Colon!!! It's going to be a true 'race against time' for me....
I look forward to meeting up with the 'new faces' very soon, as well as ones I know.
Cheers for now,

AlanH
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I think I'm very lucky to be 'living the dream' already... but I feel I'm just beginning a good part of that "90+% of the work" just now ..... in trying to get to the start line from here in Colon!!! It's going to be a true 'race against time' for me....

:eek:

You're in Colon? As in Colombia??? Wow...good luck getting here, Jeanne!

erica
06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Jeanne,

you are still in Colon?
If you see Jose Wolff who lives on Papillion - the little blue boat on jetty 2 - and runs the little workshop “D”, say hi to him and to Andy, who runs the workshop next to him. Maybe they do not remember my name, but they will remember the German women who has been living several weeks in Jose’s workshop 2 years ago.

Good luck for you, for the transit and the passage to SF

Erika