PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Transpac Seminars

Philpott
11-03-2015, 12:35 PM
As you may all know by now, Elaine Mendes, the assistant manager of Oakland Yacht Club, has decided to stay home with her new baby. Elaine has been our OYC go-to girl regarding all things SSS for years. The club has a new manager, Robert Lovejoy. Wednesday evenings upstairs @ the OYC are now the venue for a wine tasting club. The SSS has been offered the use of the Regatta Room downstairs for our seminar series. The close quarters might not be a bad thing for people preparing to sail across the Pacific in small boats, and is also an opportunity to get to know each other in closer quarters. It was either the Regatta room or waiting until 8pm for the wine drinking members to leave. We are guests of the club and appreciate the chance to meet in their Regatta Room. As David Nabors has said, "If we didn't receive the generosity of Oakland Yacht Club we'd probably be meeting in a Walmart parking lot".

Please see the updated Seminar poster on the Transpac Site of this forum for the correct Seminar Dates. Sorry for any confusion, whether you are in the country or the city.

bizirka
11-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Does anyone drive back to Marin (sausalito) after these events?

pogen
11-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Marine what?

bizirka
11-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Whoops - just edited - Marin/sausalito

Philpott
12-04-2015, 05:47 PM
THIS JUST IN: Sails and Rigging Seminar Wednesday evening at the Oakland Yacht Club. Who are the speakers? Only the best, as always. Check out the Main Transpac Site.

Philpott
12-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Next up: Emergency Rudders on January 13; Plenty of time to recover from the holidays; suck in that egg nog tummy and come get ideas about what to do if (gasp!!!!) your rudder goes awry. Yes, awry. It has happened to a number of people and they have lived to tell about it. How did that happen and what did they do in response? If you have an example and would like to either 1/ bring your emergency rudder to the meeting; or 2/ bring slides in to show and tell, please send me an email. You will get your name in lights and I'll buy you a beer or a soft drink, your choice. Remember, "for whatever we lose (like a you or a me) it's always ourselves we find in the sea" (ee cummings) jacqueline.philpott@gmail.com

Gamayun
12-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Next up: Emergency Rudders on January 13; Plenty of time to recover from the holidays; suck in that egg nog tummy and come get ideas about what to do if (gasp!!!!) your rudder goes awry. Yes, awry. It has happened to a number of people and they have lived to tell about it. How did that happen and what did they do in response? If you have an example and would like to either 1/ bring your emergency rudder to the meeting; or 2/ bring slides in to show and tell, please send me an email. You will get your name in lights and I'll buy you a beer or a soft drink, your choice. Remember, "for whatever we lose (like a you or a me) it's always ourselves we find in the sea" (ee cummings) jacqueline.philpott@gmail.com

Just came across this: http://www.pbo.co.uk/reviews/safety-devices/oceansteer. Had not seen this option before so just throwing it out there FYI.

pogen
12-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Gilles and Synthia's presentation materials are now available at the Seminars Page on the SHTP site (http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2016/seminars/) for those that want to review or in case you missed it.

Mikeacro
01-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Just got my emergency rudder for my Monitor. Will see you there.
Mike
Watermark PS31
Triple Play Corsair 28

Philpott
01-12-2016, 01:11 AM
Emergency Rudder Seminar Wednesday January 13 @ Oakland Yacht Club 7:30pm
Two questions if you sail offshore:

Do you really need an emergency rudder for your sailboat? and How lucky do you feel?

Offshore racing members of the Singlehanded Sailing Society will problem solve their reasoning and share their actual rudders with you when you join us Wednesday night January 13 at the Oakland Yacht Club. Emergency rudders from the following boats are represented by their owners, singlehanded Transpac sailors all: David Herrigel’s Wilderness 30, George Lythcott’s Express 27, Max Crittenden’s Martin 32, Bob Johnston’s J-92, Greg Nelsen’s Azzura 310 and Sam Burns’ Catalina 309.

Join us in the downstairs Regatta Room of the Oakland Yacht Club. 7:30pm. Collect your beverage of choice before the meeting and bring it on down.

Lightspeed
01-12-2016, 04:49 PM
I am down with a killer cold so can't make wed meeting. Here are some pictures of Lightspeeds erudder a Gordie Nash special. Lightspeed will not be doing the race so I would consider loaning it to a +/-40' boat with similar stern (Kynntana?)....Rick127012711272

Gamayun
01-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Hmm, that looks really sturdy. This is the certainly in the shape of my stern but there's another 2 feet of sugar scoop the E-rudder bars would have to extend over to get to the water. I am planning to install a Monitor windvane and the easiest idea was to go with Scanmar's M-Rud, but I just heard the other day that Al Germain could not steer with his M-Rud!! I'd be interested in hearing about his progress on that. I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone has ever used a Jordan Series Drogue for this purpose? I don't suppose that would qualify as a true emergency rudder, but it's something I'd like to know more about.

svShearwater
01-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Hmm, that looks really sturdy. This is the certainly in the shape of my stern but there's another 2 feet of sugar scoop the E-rudder bars would have to extend over to get to the water. I am planning to install a Monitor windvane and the easiest idea was to go with Scanmar's M-Rud, but I just heard the other day that Al Germain could not steer with his M-Rud!! I'd be interested in hearing about his progress on that. I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone has ever used a Jordan Series Drogue for this purpose? I don't suppose that would qualify as a true emergency rudder, but it's something I'd like to know more about.

There is another thread in the "Shorthanded Sailing" Forum about e-rudders and using drogues. You might find that helpful.

Gamayun
01-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Hey, who's in charge of the shindig this evening?

OYC wants to get the word out that we will be meeting upstairs tonight so we don't bust their fire code on people crammed into the small room. Apparently, the last seminar was quite popular.

BobJ
01-13-2016, 07:01 PM
This is the SSS - nobody is in charge. Or everyone is.

Just like on your boat.

Philpott
02-11-2016, 07:01 PM
This is the SSS - nobody is in charge. Or everyone is.

Just like on your boat.

That Jim Quanci, he's such a draw! Everybody wants to hear what he has to say. Here is the crowd at Jim's The Return Trip presentation. He makes it look so easy!

Gamayun
02-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Yep, very nice presentation and discussion. It might be the only time in my life I ever decide to buy a case or two of bottled water...

We also probably didn't exceed room capacity limits with that crowd because I see a few feet of empty space. At least until Brian sat there :)