PDA

View Full Version : Hot Food Going Across

John Hayward
06-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi All,

Pardon me if this something everybody here already knows. I ordered some MRE entrees and MRE heaters recently. I had never tried them. The entrees are actually better than I expected and the heaters are *very* cool. Again, no offence, but if I were traveling in a small boat without refrigeration, I would have lots of MRE's and MRE heaters onboard. Even in large boats in rough weather or storms it would seem to be an ideal way to have a hot meal with no open flame. You open the MRE heater pouch, add an ounce or two of water (I think salt water is OK but haven't tried it) and the foil packet MRE entree, close, shake and set aside for 12 minutes. You could do this in the cockpit in a terrible storm without any danger. I got them initially for my Abandon Ship Bag but just ordered some more for "Storm food". I also ordered a lot of extra Heater packs because I think you could activate two of them and wrap them inside a towel around a can and heat it or wrap them in a towel for a heating pad or even put them in with you wrapped in a space blanket to keep you alive in a survival situation. I even think some that some of the vacuum sealed entrees that Jan has prepared for me could be thawed and slipped into the heater pack and warmed up to eat if it was too rough for the stove. For those without refrigetation, you could take a lot of vacuum sealed meals cooled with ice and dry ice and certainly make it half way and still do MRE's the rest of the way. Hot meals all the way across......

Anyway, you all may know this already but I didn't and thought I would share it just in case. If any of you want links for where I ordered this stuff online let me know.

John
Dream Chaser

haulback
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Taste-testing boat food !!!!!!

Before you leave???????

What a concept........

Jim/Haulback

Alchera
06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
If any of you want links for where I ordered this stuff online let me know.

Hi John - yes, I would be interested to have you post the links where you ordered the stuff. Also, what you ordered and what tasted good or not!

- Mark

John Hayward
06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi Mark,

Here is where I got the MRE's:

http://www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/products.asp?dept=1025

This is also where I got the energy bars for my Abandon Ship Bag:

http://www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/prodinfo.asp?number=P8254&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=11

They look pretty appetizing in the picture, but they are bricks and I'll bet they taste like cardboard....... They do have calories and lots of vitamins though and would probably keep you alive and healthy for a long time.

Here is where I got the MRE heater packs:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MRE200-1308-1398.html

The place where I got the MRE's wanted $14 something for 12 of the heater packs and this place wanted $3.97!!!

So far, I have tried the Chicken and Dumplings, Ham and Shrimp Jambalaya and the meatloaf. I have also tried the taco filling but it doesn't come in the individual serving pack. I have to say all were better than I expected. None were great, but none were bad either. They are warm, they are filling and they have lots of calories and carbs because they are designed to keep soldiers on the battlefield going. They seem perfect for easy, safe warm meals while underway in any conditions. I bought them initially for the Abandon Ship Bag, but, after tasting them and thinking more about it, put in another order for meatloaf and mashed potatoes for storm meals (or if I am just feeling too lazy to cook but want a hot meal).......

John
Dream Chaser