PDA

View Full Version : The Path Forward

mike cunningham
12-25-2015, 09:37 PM
It was a beautiful day today here in NorCal, the drifting cumulus moving overhead providing occasional shade from the winter sun on this Christmas day as I re-sewed, for the umpteenth time, Jacqueline's helm cover. I contemplated the road ahead. An emergency rudder on that virgin stern, a life raft, a spinnaker gun mount installation for my freedom 30, and the thousand other things on the long list which is documented on a white board in my garage and is documented in other garages and spreadsheets and on paper and on whatever it is my singlehanded sailing colleagues document lists on.

188 days, 4524 hours, 271,440 minutes....

Philpott
12-28-2015, 12:36 PM
It was a beautiful day today here in NorCal, the drifting cumulus moving overhead providing occasional shade from the winter sun on this Christmas day as I re-sewed, for the umpteenth time, Jacqueline's helm cover. I contemplated the road ahead. An emergency rudder on that virgin stern, a life raft, a spinnaker gun mount installation for my freedom 30, and the thousand other things on the long list which is documented on a white board in my garage and is documented in other garages and spreadsheets and on paper and on whatever it is my singlehanded sailing colleagues document lists on.

188 days, 4524 hours, 271,440 minutes....

And a Navik windvane, loaned by a friend, which will make the lovely Jacqueline move toward Hanalei energy-free.

dhusselman
01-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Starting on my To Do List
- Sail at least every week
- 400 NM qualifier sail
- Winch maintenance
- Replace roller bearings on jib sheet cars
- Buy and install 2 solar panels
- Order sails missing from inventory
- Liferaft (rent or buy)
- Haul out and bottom paint
- list of items to pass inspection
- Work out at least 4x per week
- Install backup autopilot
- Replace halyard shackles with soft shackles
- Plan food and drinks.
- Plan return shipment

I'm sure there are many small items missing but this is my list for now...

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

mike cunningham
01-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Starting on my To Do List
- Sail at least every week
- 400 NM qualifier sail
- Winch maintenance
- Replace roller bearings on jib sheet cars
- Buy and install 2 solar panels
- Order sails missing from inventory
- Liferaft (rent or buy)
- Haul out and bottom paint
- list of items to pass inspection
- Work out at least 4x per week
- Install backup autopilot
- Replace halyard shackles with soft shackles
- Plan food and drinks.
- Plan return shipment

I'm sure there are many small items missing but this is my list for now...

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Dirk,

I thought you did the LongPac in 2013. Do you have to re-qualify? If so I did not realize that.

BTW, wasn't that fun having our laptops ripped off? It took me a month to sort out the mess!!

dhusselman
01-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Dirk,

I thought you did the LongPac in 2013. Do you have to re-qualify? If so I did not realize that.

BTW, wasn't that fun having our laptops ripped off? It took me a month to sort out the mess!!

Hi Mike,

Yes it was a pain to have the laptops stolen. The biggest pain is the damage to the car...
I did the 2013 LongPac on my previous boat and I did not finish the 2015 LongPac due to lack of wind and bad scheduling on my part.

So I will do the 400nm qualifier this spring. Even if 2013 counted as a qualifier with a different boat, I would still do my own "qualifier" to test all systems before the Hawaii trip.

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

mike cunningham
01-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes it was a pain to have the laptops stolen. The biggest pain is the damage to the car...
I did the 2013 LongPac on my previous boat and I did not finish the 2015 LongPac due to lack of wind and bad scheduling on my part.

So I will do the 400nm qualifier this spring. Even if 2013 counted as a qualifier with a different boat, I would still do my own "qualifier" to test all systems before the Hawaii trip.

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Ah! Understood.Good plan. I should probably do the same given my, ahem, "unsupervised" coastal approach during the last LongPac. What dates are you targeting?

dhusselman
01-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Ah! Understood.Good plan. I should probably do the same given my, ahem, "unsupervised" coastal approach during the last LongPac. What dates are you targeting?

Hi Mike,

I probably will go in March or April. Might be a last minute decision based on weather...
Let's stay in touch, it will be fun to have another boat out there..

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

mike cunningham
01-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi Mike,

I probably will go in March or April. Might be a last minute decision based on weather...
Let's stay in touch, it will be fun to have another boat out there..

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

Sounds good! It would be an excellent opportunity to do a shakedown. By that time I should have some of my key projects completed.

bizirka
01-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Sorry for not replying to you in the other thread - I would love to do the qualifier 'against' you :) Lets stay in touch - bizirka at gmail

My number one worry is how to get the boat back - boss told me I cant take the additional month off, I don't have a trailer and my friend who was interested in sailing it back is becoming less interested.

dhusselman
01-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Sorry for not replying to you in the other thread - I would love to do the qualifier 'against' you :) Lets stay in touch - bizirka at gmail

My number one worry is how to get the boat back - boss told me I cant take the additional month off, I don't have a trailer and my friend who was interested in sailing it back is becoming less interested.

I will keep you informed of qualifier plans...

I'm still figuring out the return and I'm considering the following:
- Sail back the boat ( I might not have the time)
- Ship the boat back (have a cradle build)
- Sell the boat in Hawaii

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

svShearwater
01-05-2016, 04:55 PM
I will keep you informed of qualifier plans...

I'm still figuring out the return and I'm considering the following:
- Sail back the boat ( I might not have the time)
- Ship the boat back (have a cradle build)
- Sell the boat in Hawaii

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Is having someone else sail the boat an option? That might actually be the easiest.

mike cunningham
01-05-2016, 06:59 PM
And a Navik windvane, loaned by a friend, which will make the lovely Jacqueline move toward Hanalei energy-free.

Yes, I forgot about that. On my list!!! I am thinking about moving the boat up to the Bay for a couple of months prior to the race so I can get out sailing and practicing more often. Is there any space at the Berkley Marina?

Philpott
01-14-2016, 08:31 AM
Yes, I forgot about that. On my list!!! I am thinking about moving the boat up to the Bay for a couple of months prior to the race so I can get out sailing and practicing more often. Is there any space at the Berkley Marina?

Lots of room at the Berkeley Marina! One for Jacqueline opposite this Jacqueline. And if I'm not mistaken, your wife's name is Jacqueline? They are everywhere!