PDA

View Full Version : 2016 OYRA series and other YRA SH Racing

Philpott
12-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Note the 2016 Northern California Sailing Calendar and YRA Master Schedule (A Complete Racing Guide): "We offer Divisions for full crewed boats, single and double handed boats and multihulls." p 41. This language is new. Maybe someone noticed that singlehanders pack the Berkeley midwinters' bleachers.

Gamayun
12-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Note the 2016 Northern California Sailing Calendar and YRA Master Schedule (A Complete Racing Guide): "We offer Divisions for full crewed boats, single and double handed boats and multihulls." p 41. This language is new. Maybe someone noticed that singlehanders pack the Berkeley midwinters' bleachers.

Yes, indeedy. And that they get out there when few others want to go! Crazy buggers ;)

BobJ
12-28-2015, 09:46 PM
OYRA's SHS (shorthanded) division is tough to win singlehanded. Years ago they gave singlehanders an extra rating credit but I haven't been able to convince them to reinstate that - no explanation has been given. I'd be all over it if we could get a singlehanded division.

Philpott
12-29-2015, 10:49 PM
Find here Andy Newell's reply to my request for clarification of the language. I can't imagine a more gracious or inviting response:

OYRA has traditionally had a shorthanded fleet (SHS) which includes single and double handed boats in the same group, split further by PHRF when there are enough boats. Most of the racers sail double handed but not always, and some mix it up during the season.

We are certainly happy to provide whatever fleets enough boats sign up for.

If enough folks want a single handed only fleet we can provide one. I’d say that if you can bring at least 5 boats that will make most of the races we can set up a single handed only fleet. I think if we set up a fleet with fewer boats than 5 we would have the problem of limited competition, just ask Truls, our lone multi-hull.

I have added Al [Germain] and Rick [Elkins] to the conversation. We are willing to be as flexible as possible to accommodate shorthanded racers and SSS for the whole season, a single race or even a group of races you designate. Just let us know what you want.

Daydreamer
01-01-2016, 11:09 PM
This is definitely interesting.

I will check the calendar to see how many races I can commit to.

Critter
01-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Dang, just when my congenial and attractive crew pool have me thinking about going full-crew in OYRA.

Philpott
01-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Dang, just when my congenial and attractive crew pool have me thinking about going full-crew in OYRA.

Oh yeah. I'll bet that will be a hard call.

Philpott
01-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah. I'll bet that will be a hard call.

Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

BobJ
01-04-2016, 07:10 PM
I see my work here is nearly done.

Philpott
01-05-2016, 11:56 AM
This from Andy Newell: "We are willing to be as flexible as possible to accommodate shorthanded racers and SSS for the whole season, a single race OR EVEN A GROUP OF RACES YOU DESIGNATE (jp's capitalization). Just let us know what you want."

Since OYRA has offered to accommodate us, my proposal would be to ask OYRA for a singlehanded division on the following 4 dates: April 16/Lightship; May 21/ Duxship, July 16/Junior Waterhouse; and one of the TBD races/ August 6 or September 10, whichever is not Half Moon Bay. We already have our own Farallones and Half Moon Bay races, and we are scheduled to do Drakes Bay with OYRA on August 27/28.

If OYRA is interested in our participation, perhaps it will also be willing to offer us this schedule at a reduced rate. It is a great way to measure interest by singlehanders with less financial burden. It is also an opportunity for singlehanders to compete against each other in the absence of our very seaworthy 2016 Transpac participants. ;-)

BobJ
03-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Are others still thinking about this? I like Jackie's idea of a subset of the series that fits in with our SSS races. I wouldn't haggle with OYRA on price and would just sign up for their series.

A couple singlehanders and a couple doublehanders have signed up so far (as have the Nasty Habits):

OYRA on Jibeset. (https://www.jibeset.net/entrylist.php?A00=YRA_T006148269&A01=0178d0c5fe11424dabf64df3a91db8c8&T=1457024061&SORT=df)

jhopp
03-05-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm planning to do most of the OYRA events single-handed.

Gamayun
03-05-2016, 07:17 PM
I am also planning to do the OYRA singlehand races. Here's hoping my boat will be put back together again in time for the first one in April...

BobJ
03-22-2016, 12:28 PM
. . . bumpercars is my least favorite aspect of the sport, especially as a singlehander. I think the ocean racers are safer, at least they feel safer, as there is so much more elbow room.

Funny you should write that. I planned on posting shortly under the heading "Feeling like you need SPACE?" (I sure did on Saturday.)

I've been exchanging e-mails with YRA about a division for singlehanders in the OYRA series (starting 4/16) and shorthanders (DH and SH) in the "YRA Series" (inside the Bay) starting 5/14. I made an announcement about this at the Corinthian Race skippers' meeting and will bring more details to the awards meeting (and post them here). In the meantime, check Jibeset or the new YRA website for the dates. YRA is encouraging us to design our own series if desired, and they have opened up the appropriate options on Jibeset for sign-ups. Please let me know what you'd like to do and we'll put it together. Maybe we can even cook up some special awards.

There's already a thread about racing OYRA singlehanded HERE (http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1614-2016-OYRA-series) and when I get a chance I'll post some thoughts about doing the "YRA Series" DH or SH.

Bob J.
BobsailsSF (at Yahoo)

pogen
03-22-2016, 01:19 PM
YRA is encouraging us to design our own series if desired

How would this differ from just adding more races to the existing SSS calendar?

BobJ
03-22-2016, 02:14 PM
More work for our overworked team, plus YRA really needs some support.

They are willing to put on the races, they would like us to participate, and we have a big hole in our calendar over the Summer especially for doublehanders. I think it's a win-win.

pogen
03-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Are these Bay or Bay + Ocean? And DH only??? Or SH/DH , SH/DH/Crew??

BobJ
03-22-2016, 02:40 PM
The singlehanded division in OYRA is ocean races, and makes it possible for singlehanders to do additional races without having to compete directly with doublehanders (OYRA's SHS division had been SH and DH combined). Getting at least five entries would give singlehanders their own scoring in that series. OYRA's dates do not conflict with our SSS races but as proposed earlier in the thread, we could design a combined SSS/OYRA singlehanded series that excludes OYRA's HMB and Farallones races, since we have our own. Drakes Bay combines the two groups.

The "YRA Series" are Bay races - one set run out of Berkeley and one set run out of South Beach YC (south of the Bay Bridge). They have been full crew races but those numbers have dropped significantly. YRA has added a shorthanders division and if we have enough entries, it could be further split into SH and DH divisions (as we were able to have for the Berkeley Midwinters). One caveat is that the first date for the YRA Series is the same as our Singlehanded Farallones (5/14). While I want to encourage YRA's invitation to our group, I don't want to take any boats away from SSS races. I have discussed all this with our Commodore and he agrees "the more the merrier."

pogen
03-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Can you move this to its own thread? Something like "New Opportunities for Racing Shorthanded"?

Moved 5 posts from Corinthian thread to here.

solosailor
03-23-2016, 07:11 AM
How would this differ from just adding more races to the existing SSS calendar?I am against adding more races to the SSS calendar. We already added two racing days with the Drakes Bay race a few years ago. Additional shorthanded sailing is great but it should not be part of the SSS, just more opportunities.

BobJ
03-23-2016, 07:34 AM
That's the idea.

Daydreamer
03-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Just signed up for the OYRA series singlehanded !

I should be able to do most of them except for 5/21 (made other plans with my wife)

Hope to see some more singlehanded boats !

DaveH
03-29-2016, 05:01 AM
Domino is signed up for the the first 3.... Transpac precludes the rest.

DH

BobJ
03-29-2016, 10:28 AM
It's great to see these sign-ups - thanks. Because of the Corinthian Race collisions I don't know if I'll have my boat ready by 4/16, so mine will be a last-minute decision.

To insure we have separate scoring in OYRA for singlehanders (and possibly a separate start), we'll need at least a couple more boats. Andy is looking for at least five boats who will do most of the series. Historically, attendance drops off significantly after the first 3-4 OYRA races, especially in even years (Pacific Cup & SHTP).

If you aren't feeling like racing in the ocean this year, also check out YRA's "YRA Series." They have a shorthanded option available for the first time.

tboussie
04-16-2016, 09:38 PM
The OYRA Lighship today was a decidedly mixed bag.

The start was a mess, with two delays that did not seem to serve any purpose other than to let the ebb build to the point that several boats dropped out after failing to clear Anita Rock or got sucked into the south span of the GG Bridge. I know it is always a guessing game, but this time the RC guessed wrong. Several people expressed their unhappiness quite strongly via VHF.

After a laborious drift out the gate, the wind filled in at last and it was a decent run to the Lightship. The ebb helped, but it was a bit of a washing machine until after G1/R2. For me, the trip back was pleasant until about a mile from Bonita where the wind dropped to <5 kts. It's one thing to sail to weather in 10 knots of wind in a washing machine, it is an altogether less pleasant thing to sail 1.5 knots downwind in the same crap. It took me 2+ hours to get from Bonita to the GG bridge.

Of course, once I jibed and went under the GG bridge, the wind jacked up to 20 knots at 90 deg apparent and I was hanging on by my fingernails.

It was a beautiful day on the ocean, but a bit more wind (not too much!) would have been nice.

Philpott
04-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Thank you, Tom, for representing the Singlehanded Sailing Society in the inaugural OYRA singlehanded division.

pogen
04-18-2016, 10:49 AM
The OYRA Lighship today was a decidedly mixed bag.

Several people expressed their unhappiness quite strongly via VHF.

I completely sympathize, but I had to laugh at the thought of people confusing the VHF with social media.

BobJ
04-18-2016, 06:17 PM
It was more of a reality show. I stomped my feet and flew my protest flag for dramatic effect, which was good for a "right-on brother" over the radio.

The weekend's silver lining was the SHTP Cruise-In at OYC. Four out of the five OYRA singlehanders ended up over there, while Tom represented in OYRA.

It was all good. I'm looking forward to the Duxship race. We need a couple more singlehanders though - two boats on Saturday were SRE's.

255grizzly
04-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Any interest out there in forming a single handed division for the YRA series? I think this could fill the summer gap in SSS races -- after the Farallones on 5/14, there isn't another local race until Drakes Bay on 8/27. YRA is willing to create a single handed or short handed division if we have 5 boats.

FYI, it's an 8 race series (2 races per day) on the following dates/locations:

05/14/16 – YRA #1 – Berkeley Circle
06/18/16 – YRA #2 – South Bay
07/23/16 – YRA #3 – South Bay
08/13/16 – YRA #4 – Southampton

5/14 obviously conflicts with the Farallones, but the rest work. ( I'm not sure I'm going to do the Farallones this year due to battery and AP issues, so I'm busy thinking about alternatives.) Even if I go forward with the Farallones, though, I like the idea of doing the June, July and Aug YRA races. A great chance to work on boat handling!

BobJ
04-27-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking about this too. I'm not keen on racing to the Farallones twice (OYRA and SSS). If the offshore forecast looks iffy on 5/14, I'd start this series instead and do the stinky rocks with OYRA.

But to make this work we need at least three more shorthanders for the YRA series. Here you go:

https://www.jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T004349292

tboussie
06-12-2016, 05:02 PM
We had four SH boats on the line for the OYRA fully-crewed Farallones race this Saturday. It wasn't quite as windy as forecast (max mid 20's) but the sea state was quite wretched and there was a BIG swell on the backside of the island. After the SSS pleasure cruise this year, I felt the need for a proper Farallones and this satisfied the bill. No whales, though.

For me, the wind was too far forward on the way back to set a spinnaker until the Lightship, and by then I was too knackered to bother (and it was still blowing pretty hard). Of course the wind died completely (from 20 to 4 knots within five minutes) at Bonita / Mile Rock. I finally set a kite just to get in the gate.

Not my best race, but no gear or bones were broken. And I learned more about the (disappointing) limits of my autopilot, which was my intent. All in all it was a good day on the ocean.

Daydreamer
06-13-2016, 09:46 AM
The OYRA Farallones was a good race, but I sure feel beat up!

I watched you guys, Kato & JouJou, pull ahead on the way out.

I managed to keep sight of Kato as we made for a starboard rounding. Not sure where JouJou went.

At the backside, where things really lumped up, my spinnaker pole came free from the deck and was only held with the downhaul.
After getting it re-secured I thought I might lose my lunch. I eased off for the reach back and managed to rest a few moments, though I just wasn't ready to hoist.

Saw plenty of fast surfing under white sails though.

At lands end I planned to go north to Bonita, but the flukey wind I finally caught sent me toward Ocean Beach wing on wing, jibed again to make the South Tower, and had a nice reach to the finish.

Daydreamer
06-13-2016, 09:52 AM

bizirka
06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
That was lumpy! I learned that unless I am 100% focused the AP is better at steering through the waves then I am. I noticed Nightmare made up a good deal of time during my struggles to hand steer - he was great in the waves. After I let the AP do the steering, I hiked on the highside and took in a lot of food and water (I drank well over 100oz of water - more on this later). About 4 miles out from the islands, the wind went up, I saw wind in the high 20s (apparent) and in the 30s on the backside of the island. I don't think I will ever round the islands to starboard again. A monster wave stopped me dead in the water and I ended up sliding down the backs side and putting my spreaders in the water. I immediately jumped up to ensure the boats down-swell and MUCH closer to the islands were okay. I was pretty shaken up and gave the islands more space than most who were rounding to port. After this, I was hesitant to do anything with spinnaker and the angle was too hot for that wind speed (90 degrees). Per my pre-race plan I reached up to the north part of the course using my white sails to get a better angle on the bridge. I hoisted my A3 (no pole) and started surfing at 10-12 knots sustained all the way to point bonita. High was 15.8 - exactly what Olsons were made for. As always the winds at point B got the better of me and I got backwinded a bit too close to the rocks so I dropped the A3 and made a huge mess of my lines and went under main only for 5 minutes. Got the little sail up and wing on winged to the south tower and reached to the finish. I had an accidental jibe as I crossed the finish...great. Reached back to Sausalito in 28knots! I am 100% sore from the race. That night I had some more water and two post race beers. I woke up the next day super dehydrated. I had one Meclizine prior to the race, perhaps this was the cause of my dehydration. I usually take dramamine, but wanted to see how this particular solution worked. I think I will stick with dramamine. It was great to see some SHTP boats out there!!

bizirka
06-13-2016, 11:51 AM

Daydreamer
06-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Here is a pretty cool shot of Truls
Singlehanded multihull

Philpott
06-14-2016, 08:54 PM
Here is a pretty cool shot of Truls
Singlehanded multihull

Greg, how do you take such great shots when you are sailing that very trippy racehorse of a boat?

Daydreamer
06-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Easy,
In those moments when I'm not trimming, steering, fixing, untangling, or just hanging on for dear life, I let the autopilot steer and take pictures of anything nearby.
Usually my feet or whatever is in the cockpit.
Occasionally another boat is nearby and I'll click several shots, sometimes I windup with a good one.

I use my iPhone in a waterproof case. I really need to put a lanyard on that thing. I don't think "find my iPhone" works at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean!
Usually I don't reach beyond the cockpit.

The closer the better. If I have to zoom it usually won't be a decent shot.

That amateur photography class years ago said, take LOTS of pictures to get a few good ones!

Always happy to share:)

Daydreamer
06-20-2016, 07:56 AM
Just checked the fleet assignments for OYRA HMB

Lineup is looking light.

Has everyone not going to Hawaii signed up for the Silver Eagle?

Does anyone else want to race to Half Moon Bay?

Someone, anyone, halooo.....

Critter
06-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Greg, they add to the "fleet assignments" as they review the registrations for updated crew list and MER compliance. We can expect more boats as the week goes on.

Daydreamer
06-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Fun race to HMB.

Two starters in the single handed division, Nightmare and Oscar, sailing out to R2, leaving it to port.
The breeze was on in the bay but there was a big hole bust outside the gate between Point Bonita and Miles Rocks.
Oscar sailed deeper and faster while I pinched, this paid off for Oscar, then a close reach under spinnaker Colorado reef then started cracking off for HMB building speed. The wind built as well and made for an exciting finish.

Saw a shark, and a whale on the way south.

Pillar Point Yacht Harbor accommodated us for the evening.

My wife met me at the marina and we walked over to the club.
A good turn out at Half Moon Bay Yacht Club, got to say hi to a few familiar faces.
I heard the dinner was good but i was wanting seafood and we went to dinner at Barbaras Fishtrap.

The trip home turned out to be a breezy romp until Pacifica where the wind died. I motored until it picked up again around Mussel Rock and it kept building. The swell heaped up on the South Bar with the whitecaps rolling off the tops. I steered for Point Bonita on a reach and had a good angle to the swell and only got wet a few times.

Inside the gate the wind was howling and I saw 12 knots SOG on the gps. Must have been a 5 knot flood!:rolleyes:

All in all a great weekend sailing.1593159415951596

https://explore.delorme.com/Map

bizirka
06-27-2016, 01:44 PM
That sounds awesome! I really wanted to do this one, but had to do last minute things on Kato for the big start this Saturday.

Philpott
06-27-2016, 07:19 PM
That sounds awesome! I really wanted to do this one, but had to do last minute things on Kato for the big start this Saturday.

The Big Start?!! Why? Is something happening this Saturday? OHHH!!! THAT Big Start! Well, there are a lot of people who are excited about that Big Start, and they ain't all buglighters, either! I think I speak for everyone on your race committee when I say that we are looking forward to seeing you and your competitors and your boats all gussied up and ready to go sailing out the gate! How are you feeling about the coming week? Mike Cunningham sounds ready. Sweaty and poor, but ready.

bizirka
06-27-2016, 07:22 PM
The Big Start?!! Why? Is something happening this Saturday? OHHH!!! THAT Big Start! Well, there are a lot of people who are excited about that Big Start, and they ain't all buglighters, either! I think I speak for everyone on your race committee when I say that we are looking forward to seeing you and your competitors and your boats all gussied up and ready to go sailing out the gate! How are you feeling about the coming week? Mike Cunningham sounds ready. Sweaty and poor, but ready.

I can hardly sleep I am so excited!! I just hope I pick the right sail for the start and don't have to change it until I can put up a spinnaker :)

BobJ
07-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Hey, look at that - K crushed it:

https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_T005945895&DOC=r1&TYP=html

Wylieguy
07-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Short-Handed Sailing in 2017. The time to begin planning short-handed sailing for 2017 is now. For possible OYRA short-handers there's time to purchase and install required safety equipment, schedule SAS certification, and generally get the boat ready for the ocean.

But I'm really writing about in-bay races. Take a look at the 2016 Sailing Calendar booklet. Next year will look similar. One source for possible short-handed races - or series - is "club beer cans." An example: The Sausalito YC offers its "Twin Island Series." Three races that begin in open water near Little Harding Rock, go around Alcatraz/Angel Islands in either direction, and finish off the clubhouse in Sausalito. There's a party and moorings ford post-race activities. 2016 dates are: April 23, July 16, and Oct. 15; next year should be similar. The SYC also offers its "Commodore's Race to Vallejo" (June 25 this year). One-way to Vallejo. Each of these offers long legs similar to most SSS races, so mark roundings shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the SYC race folks would work with group of SSS boats for a separate Start /Division start. I"ll bet they would even give a short-handed division the final start and even space it 10 minutes after the prior start to clear the starting area. Disclaimer: I don't belong to the SYC, but since I keep "NANCY" in Sausalito I sail most of their races.

A look at the 2016 Sailing Schedule might turn up other clubs with similar series that would be open to a short-handed division. -- Pat

Gamayun
07-11-2016, 02:09 AM
Hey, look at that - K crushed it:

https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_T005945895&DOC=r1&TYP=html

You betcha we did. Beccie and I were shorthanded, but they didn't have enough for our own start so they put us in the non-spin division. The wind direction was the optimal point of sail for Kynntana. We consistently held boat speed at 8.5-9 knots practically all day on a beam reach. Saw speeds above 12 a few times. We had a great start, a humpback whale said hello at Point Blunt, there was big, big wind the whole day, and a good strong flood to carry us. We were second overall for most of the race behind the J boat that corrected out 8 minutes behind us, then the catamarans overtook us about halfway between the Bay Bridge and San Mateo Bridge. A few of the fast spin boats finally caught up around the San Mateo Bridge. We ended up 6 minutes behind on corrected time behind Deception with 10 people hanging off the rail and no engine to slow them down. That's not usually one of the boats that I consider to be my competition when we're shorthanding without a spinnaker....

What a fun day when the stars align and you can't seem to do no wrong :)

Ha, that reminds me. I said to Beccie, "We're so far ahead, we'd have to run aground to lose this one." I didn't realize how far inside the channel I'd gone after crossing the San Mateo Bridge and we suddenly noticed the depth gauge pinging zero. I yelled "we gotta jybe now!!!" It took another 5 minutes before our heart rates returned somewhere closer to normal...

BobJ
07-11-2016, 12:03 PM
You should stop beating up on those hapless J Boats with that big croozer of yours. It reminds me of a quote from a crew member on a fancy race boat (Sled probably knows who said it): "The second roast of beef was a bit rare but the ice cream and strawberries made up for it."

Congrat's!

Gamayun
07-11-2016, 02:35 PM
You should stop beating up on those hapless J Boats with that big croozer of yours. It reminds me of a quote from a crew member on a fancy race boat (Sled probably knows who said it): "The second roast of beef was a bit rare but the ice cream and strawberries made up for it."

Congrat's!

Ha, I think we beat about half the J boats in that race!! Sorry, Bob, it's not often when I can say that. I should also mention how I'm living on my boat now. I moved most of my personal belongings onboard in February. It is loaded with my books, clothes, dive gear, full kitchen (yes, water heater and Corian countertops), 32-gallon water tank, plus 300 feet of anchor chain and a Big Ass Anchor hanging off the bow that keeps me honest about how close to cut someone's stern....

Wasn't that quote from Daniel in 2014? Now he was FULLY kitted out. I've never seen a more gorgeous and put together interior.

tboussie
07-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Am I mistaken, or is the OYRA Jr. Waterhouse race this upcoming weekend? Nothing appears to have been posted on Jibeset yet.

Race: 5
07/16/16 - OYRA 5 Jr Waterhouse

Anyone planning to do it singlehanded?

BobJ
07-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Rags is in. The race finishes at RYC - if you can, come into the newly-renovated clubhouse and have a beer.

Daydreamer
07-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Yep, Jr Waterhouse is this weekend.

I've already updated my info. Singlehanded

Haven't seen the SI's yet. Any minute now.

What's the course?

BobJ
07-11-2016, 09:35 PM
I googled last year's SI's but couldn't find them. It's something like Ch. Marker 7 to port, So. Approach buoy to starboard, Lightbucket to starboard, Bonita buoy to starboard, finish at RYC - Jibeset shows it was 42.7 nm last year.

Critter
07-12-2016, 09:00 AM
I still have last year's SI. There are multiple course options - let's see if this pastes legibly. Anyway, unlike most ocean races we start at Little Harding and finish at Richmond YC.

Course
Number Marks Distance
1 Start - Main Ship Channel Buoy G "7" (Fl G 2.5s Bell) port - Finish 21.0 nm

2 Start - YRA SF - starboard - YRA PB starboard - Finish 31.6 nm

3 Start - Main Ship Channel Buoy G “7” (Fl G 2.5s Bell) port - YRA SO starboard - YRA SF starboard- Finish 42.7 nm

4 Start - Main Ship Channel Buoy G “7”, Fl G 2.5s Bell port - YRA SO starboard – YRA NO starboard - Finish 51.1 nm

5 Start – YRA16 (p) – YRA 18 (p) – YRA NG7 (p) – YRA 18 (p) – Finish (alternate in the bay course) 23.7 nm

Mark Description
YRA 16 Yellow Sphere “C” 0.2 nm East of Ft Point - “Blackaller”
YRA 7 R “2” FL 6s nm Northwest of Treasure Island
YRA NG 7 G “7” Fl G 2.5s Approx 0.45 nm SE of Red Rock
YRA 18 RG “BR” Fl (2+1)G6s Bell, Blossom Rock
YRA SF Approach Buoy RW “SF” strobe Fl 2.5s whistle
YRA PB Bonita Channel Buoy RG Fl(2+1) R6s Bell
YRA SO South Approach Buoy Y “S” Fl Y 4s Bell
YRA NO North Approach Buoy Y “N” Fl Y 4s Bell

Remember, these are last year's courses.

Wylieguy
07-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Max is correct. Add as far back as the 2010 race, and beyond according to my records. The Jr Waterhouse courses have changed for years, and for years it's been the 42.7 mile course no matter what wind there is. Be sure to put the "South Buoy" into your GPS. I think they move it a few miles further south each year! And it sometimes disappears into the fog just when you need to find it.

Critter
07-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Not only that, but S buoy is on top of a little hill in the water. You can't see it, but the boat keeps sliding downhill. It takes many more tacks to get to it than you would think.

BobJ
07-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Yep, it's like that one dreaded hole on the pee-wee golf course. You know the one - it's a small circular green with a big hill in the middle of it. Just take your "6" and walk away.

S buoy is better than the "sewer pipe" buoy though. Last time I blew right past that one before I saw it - it wasn't where the plotter said it would be.

FUGU-W30
07-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Yup, signed up and ready to go single handed this year see ya'll out there!!
Kept getting headed as I went to South Approach last year, it always seems to be mysteriously upwind, no matter how I approach it!

tboussie
07-15-2016, 08:38 PM
I have tried all week to sign up. Something funky with my browser. Succeeded (I think) tonight, but may be too late. If so, I will shadow the start.

Tom Boussie
JouJou

tboussie
07-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Five SH boats participated in the OYRA Jr. Waterhouse race on Saturday:
GRACE - Beneteau First, Jindrich Dokonal
RAGTIME! - J92, Bob Johnston
FUGU - Wilderness 30 S, Chris Case
NIGHTMARE - Wilderness 30, Gregory Ashby
JOUJOU - Capo 30, Tom Boussie

The RC chose a short course: start at Little Harding, out to SF, back around the Point Bonita channel marker, then to the finish at Richmond. It was moderate air out the gate, with a short chop and gray overcast skies. Back in the Bay it built to 20-25 in the slot, then 25-30 between Angel Island and the finish at Richmond.

Four of the singlehanders convened at the Richmond YC bar after the race, all complaining of the beating they took. No major drama for me as I doused outside the Gate and sailed under white (grey) sails the rest of the way to the finish. Others had various spinnaker issues along the way, broaches, etc. I saw some pretty impressive wipeouts on fully-crewed boats heading to Racoon Straits.

Henry D
07-17-2016, 08:09 PM
"Four of the singlehanders convened at the Richmond YC bar after the race, all complaining of the beating they took."
I was a party pooper and headed straight back to my home port, Brisbane. I was pretty beat up too after the reach to Treasure Island where the wind was in the high twenties and gusting to mid thirties - certaily didn't help.
Anyway, great race although I had a few issues with my spinnaker- and actually both Bob and I ended up sailing side by side and frantically trying to unwrap our spinnakers approaching the bay.
We both got lucky, and managed to unwrap them before the high winds hit inside the bay. It could have been really messy. Bob demonstrated great local knowledge sailing down towards the southern end of Angel island and then hardening to Raccoon straight while I was lumbering in the wind hole by Tiburon.
Funny thing how the body and mind works - when I woke up this morning my whole body was sore, but after checking the race results and seeing Grace in first place, I didn't feel pain anymore.

Ahoy!

BobJ
07-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Henry, Tom had to sail back to the Cityfront and while the beer tasted good, I think he was wishing he'd started back before he got all relaxed. You made a good call.

"Bob demonstrated great local knowledge sailing down towards the southern end of Angel island and then hardening to Raccoon straight..." You give me too much credit. That's how long it took to get the spinnaker down and its halyard unwrapped from the top of the headstay. Just say "no" to those horizontal roller battens. They stick out and catch the kite on gybes.

Congrat's on the win!

BobJ
08-03-2016, 07:18 PM
I've been on vacation and forgot to rally the singlehanders for Saturday's OYRA race. Besides Greg (NIGHTMARE) and me, who's in? The registration deadline is Thursday at 1700.

The course is the R/C's choice so we could be going any number of places in the GOF. Here are the SI's:
https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_T006148269&DOC=si&TYP=pdf

Daydreamer
08-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Thanks Bob, you going to make it?

I looked at the fleet assignments earlier, looked light in the singlehand division.

Those thinking about racing, don't forget to update your POB with jibeset.

See you out there!

BobJ
08-03-2016, 11:09 PM
I think I'm registered - I clicked "Continue" a dozen times in Jibeset...

Henry D
08-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Bob, thanks for the reminder - I am in.
I think that I am registered too:-)

Critter
08-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Don't forget to re-date your "I agree to comply with all the rules" statement. That almost caught me out a few races ago.

BobJ
08-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Chris (FUGU) and I keep our boats on the same dock at RYC. Before heading over to the city front for our start yesterday morning, we were comparing notes. The previous OYRA race had been a workout for the singlehanders, except for Tom who didn't fly a spinnaker, and we agreed that sounded like a pretty good deal. So I didn't even run the sheets and tack line and my spinnakers stayed dry in their bags.

After a brief postponement to let outrigger canoes play through our start, the R/C changed the course from the south approach buoy to the Lightbucket and off we went in a flood. Henry (GRACE) did a masterful job of working the coves along the north side and emerged in the lead going out, which he held all the way to the Lightbucket. Once around I switched to the #2 and set the whisker pole. I could get used to this.

From what I could see, the South Tower Demon had his way with Henry's kite but he still corrected out for first. Way to go Henry!

Philpott
08-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Good for you guys! Owl and Temerity, Seazed Asset and Mouton Noir are all still returning from Hanalei. Hopefully they will participate in the Drakes Bay race, which is sponsored by both SSS and OYRA. Jim Erskine is usually on the Committee Boat for that race, but mentioned to me that he would love to race in his own boat this year. That would be a nice thing for him. Let's see what happens.

DaveH
08-07-2016, 11:37 AM
I had hoped to have Domino back and recommissioned for Drakes Bay, but it now appears unlikely...
it seems that while everyone's flight was spared Darby induced delays, not so much with Matson.
my latest update was that all rolling stock scheduled to sail for OAK on the 8/2 is still in Oahu and is now scheduled to leave on 8/18 on the Matsonia. :(
taking that into account I will be lucky to have everything sorted by Labor Day.

Henry D
08-07-2016, 11:39 AM
After some early gains Ragtime caught up with me and we were pretty close going to Lightbucket, my competitiveness forced me to hand-steer most of the time, in yesterday's upwind conditions our boats were closely matched.
When AWA dropped below 13Kn Bob was gaining. When above 15 I think I was able to gain or hold.
Coming back I set the A2 but had an hourglass, so I took it down sailed with white sails for a while, but when I saw that Bob polled out his jib and started gaining I decided to hoist the Code 0. It worked fine until the south tower, when I got a little overpowered and decided to furl it and set the jib.
However it unfurled and I kind of lost control of my boat. It is hard in these conditions, with no room to maneuver, to try to tame the beast, so I decided to blow the halyard and the boat went from 10Kn to 2.5Kn rather quickly.
Luckily it was close to the finish which I passed rather embarrassed to be pulling the sail behind.
I was able to successfully retrieve my sail with no damage.
Fun race:-)

tboussie
08-08-2016, 09:34 PM
A small correction. I did fly my spinnaker in the OYRA Jr. Waterhouse race, but I dropped it preemptively outside the gate. This proved prescient as it was blowing 22-30 all the way from the gate to Richmond. What I didn't do was jibe the spinnaker when it was up. I could not get my autopilot to steer predictably enough in the swell to have the confidence to head to the foredeck. This is becoming a real problem for me and any advice from SSS veterans on (symmetric) spinnaker jibes under autopilot would be appreciated.

It looks like there is one additional OYRA race after Drakes Bay (09/10/16 - OYRA 9 Race Committees Choice). I regret missing the race last weekend, but I couldn't bring myself to fork over another $60 for a SRE. Next year I will sign up for the whole season.

Tom

BobJ
08-09-2016, 11:00 AM
...What I didn't do was jibe the spinnaker when it was up. I could not get my autopilot to steer predictably enough in the swell to have the confidence to head to the foredeck. This is becoming a real problem for me and any advice from SSS veterans on (symmetric) spinnaker jibes under autopilot would be appreciated

Take crew - it's easier that way:
http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?655-New-Boat-4-Sled&p=15344#post15344

Or check with Max - he seems to have a good technique:
http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1749-Gone-Sailing-Videos&p=15294#post15294

pogen
08-09-2016, 02:50 PM
The crew did a lot to prevent this from going pear-shaped. Oh no, wait, they were all sitting on their butts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMKKJPBG7_U

BobJ
08-09-2016, 04:09 PM
The stability of the autopilot seems to be a function of price. I'm still waiting for one of Brian's Pelagic controllers to try - I've had his drive for about 18 months but still have my old Raymarine controllers. My current setup would probably not be stable enough to gybe the pole in heavy seas - fortunately I don't have to do that!

Marking the sheets and guys (so you know you have enough slack to gybe the pole before going forward) and plenty of practice are keys. Maintenance of the pole ends so they release properly, where you stand and how you grab the spinny sheet and pole release all help to keep control of the pole. Twinging down both sides may also help.

Erik Schwartz solo'ed a Santa Cruz 40 and used a snuffer to gybe his gargantuan masthead symmetric kite. He'd snuff it down about 2/3 of the way, gybe the pole and then un-snuff it. Pro's Bill and Melinda Erkelens used a snuffer on their Wylie Wabbit when racing in the Gorge, and when racing their Donovan 30 WOLFPACK in the recent Pacific Cup. You can borrow one of my snuffers (aka spinnaker socks or sleeves) if you want to try it. You can even run the snuffer's up/down lines back to the cockpit to shorten the amount of time spent on the foredeck.

Meantime here's MONSTER EXPRESS again, making it look smooth and easy in a ton of breeze in the Gorge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2R4fr603I

Philpott
08-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Most people, when they hear "sailing" think long sleek yachts, white wine in tall glasses, clingy dresses on beautiful women, lots of brightwork and light pouring into saloons with bowls of fruit sitting around. Whoever thinks of sailing that way should certainly steer clear of Tom Boussie and his style of sailing on Jou Jou. He's forever complaining about a disobedient autopilot, and if he isn't in a "washing machine" he's "hanging on by his fingertips". He always seems to end up in dire straits when he goes offshore, although he comes out alive every time.

Please, fellow singlehanders, do give him advice. Quick! And remind him that he's not alone. Tell him to look here at a very fine fellow singlehander who also found himself in some ... er... difficulty. His boat does, however, seem to have a good strong autopilot.

Philpott
08-09-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm still waiting for one of Brian's Pelagic controllers to try - I've had his drive for about 18 months but still have my old Raymarine controllers.

I saw Brian Cline (s/v Maris, Transpac 2014) yesterday at the Berkeley marina. He told me that, when he walked the dock of the Corinthian Yacht Club the night before the race this year it seemed everyone had a Pelagic. Smiling, he asked whether it was on the list of safety requirements this year. Of course, Maris has one, too. So does Dura Mater. And no, I get no kickback.

Philpott
08-09-2016, 08:26 PM
You can even run the snuffer's up/down lines back to the cockpit to shorten the amount of time spent on the foredeck.

Then you only have 57 lines in the cockpit, ready to clutch at you, tangling around your ankles, grabbing at the antenna of the DSC/gps vhf hanging out of your pocket, wrapping around the gear shift and just messing with your mind which already has too much consider. Don't do it, Tom! Don't borrow Bob's sock! It's a trick. Oh, wait. I just borrowed his ATN mast climber. Well, let's see how that goes, first.

BobJ
08-09-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm setting up chairs on "O" dock and selling tickets.

FUGU-W30
08-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Philpott up a mast?!! I'll bid $25 for those tickets, I'll be wearing my Statler or Waldorf mask, can't decide which yet, and get my heckle on!!

But seriously Jackie, need some help?

Philpott
08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Philpott up a mast?!! I'll bid $25 for those tickets, I'll be wearing my Statler or Waldorf mask, can't decide which yet, and get my heckle on!! But seriously Jackie, need some help?

Thank you, Chris, for the confidence you have in my ability to look silly. $25, huh? $35 and I'll smile for your camera. I have Bob's mast climber. It looks like a jumble of webbing and clips and doohickeys, but I have downloaded a utube how-to video and will try my best to figure it out. I guess this is easier than tying an extension ladder to the mast, which was my previous plan.

BobJ
08-11-2016, 12:48 PM
I was serious about taping two telescoping boat hooks together (mine can be one of them). DM's mast isn't that tall - you could probably go just part way up to the spreader and snag the halyard. I can stop by tomorrow or Saturday and help you.