PDA

View Full Version : Navico 5000 Free

Philpott
01-01-2016, 06:42 PM
This came installed when I bought Dura Mater. I took it apart to see how it worked but didn't re-install it. Does anyone want it?

skatzman
01-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Did it work before you took it apart?

Philpott
01-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Did it work before you took it apart? Yes, but then it stopped. If I were an electrical engineer I could probably figure out which little doo-hicky came undone, but I'm not. Maybe you can, Steve?

BobJ
01-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Did you unplug the motor (the red plug)? But I'm just a bean-counter so what do I know?

Philpott
01-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Did you unplug the motor (the red plug)? But I'm just a bean-counter so what do I know?

Do you mean the red wire? Brian Cline (s/v Maris, Transpac 2014) un-did that when he installed my new TP 1000 for me. That was the one I had before my beauteous Pelagic. Thank you again, Brians.

BobJ
01-03-2016, 02:43 PM
No, the red and blue wires on the inside. In the bigger photo:

1) Turn the left hand half end-for-end and snuggle it right up against the right half.

2) Grab the little red plug that's next to the motor and plug it into the other end of the white thing where the red and blue wires plug in on the right half. A little bit of dielectric grease might be good on it first. It might snap in and lock (hopefully).

3) Put the two halves back together, first carefully fitting that red gasket between the halves to keep the water out.

Bob might be your uncle (not me, that other Bob).

skatzman
01-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Good advice from BobJ there. Play with it, wiggle the wires, clean contacts, put it back together and see if it works again. If it still hasn't found a home I'll take it.

Philpott
01-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Good advice from BobJ there. Play with it, wiggle the wires, clean contacts, put it back together and see if it works again. If it still hasn't found a home I'll take it.

Oh, it fits together just fine. But it was interesting to see its insides. Steve, where is Dianne? I'll put the Navico in her cockpit.

skatzman
01-03-2016, 09:16 PM
DIANNE lives Brickyard Cove dry storage #80. The row closest to the office buildings, about 3/4 of the way to the east. Next to Dragonsong. Trailer looks like a yard sale with sails, milk crates and a bike. Easy to find. If you want to save a climb up the bow ladder just leave the goods in one of the milk crates. e mail me for tool box combo
sdkatzman at yahoo.com
I agree it is fun taking things apart to see their little guts. Maybe I can get it to work. I'll have fun with it anyway.

Dazzler
01-03-2016, 10:14 PM
DAZZLER (Wylecat 30) came from the prior owner with a well used Navico TP5000 tiller pilot. Two comments:
1. As best I recall, there's a fuse inside there somewhere.
2. Mine failed where the wires connect into the wired remote. The result was unexpected (surprise!) course changes (Oh, you mean you didn't want to tack?). I tried, but could not figure out how to get the remote apart without distructive measures. I found the AP still worked with the wired remote disconnected and ended up selling it (through the the SSS Forum) to some Brit who really wanted it for his cruising boat on Lake Maggiore, Italy.

BobJ
01-03-2016, 10:21 PM
I tried, but could not figure out how to get the remote apart without destructive measures.

Now you know - you should have used a white cup hook.

Dazzler
01-03-2016, 10:31 PM
I think the white cup hook is just a red herring. Jackie is testing us in our problem solving skills.

I agree with BobJ's advise that making a secure reconnection of the the red/blue wire connector may just do it. On one occasion, I found that connector loose.

Philpott
01-04-2016, 12:01 AM
I think the white cup hook is just a red herring. Jackie is testing us in our problem solving skills. I agree with BobJ's advise that making a secure reconnection of the the red/blue wire connector may just do it. On one occasion, I found that connector loose.

You guys kill me! I have no idea what you are talking about! "white cup hook"? Whaaaa? To paraphrase: "Take my autopilot! Please!"

BobJ
01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
This may have legs. Don't blow it people.

Gamayun
01-04-2016, 05:36 PM
You guys kill me! I have no idea what you are talking about! "white cup hook"? Whaaaa? To paraphrase: "Take my autopilot! Please!"

Look at the picture again....you'll see it :D

BobJ
01-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Look at the picture again....you'll see it :D

Every party has a pooper. I had plans . . .

Gamayun
01-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Every party has a pooper. I had plans . . .

:p:p

Dazzler
01-04-2016, 10:34 PM
This may have legs. Don't blow it people.

Bob, I'm not sure where you were going, but it's pretty obvious that the white cup hook was in the photo as obfuscation. In any photo the eye is quickly drawn to the the light colors. I'm convinced that JP was throwing us a curve with the white cup hook.

Philpott
01-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Bob, I'm not sure where you were going, but it's pretty obvious that the white cup hook was in the photo as obfuscation. In any photo the eye is quickly drawn to the the light colors. I'm convinced that JP was throwing us a curve with the white cup hook.
This forum. I can never figure out why one thread triggers a response while others don’t. For instance, why the fascination with an image of a white cup hook? Dunno. One interpretation is that singlehanders are detail-oriented individuals who are able to problem solve using practical items aboard their boats in ways that may possibly save their lives offshore. An alternative scenario is that it has been raining here in the Bay Area and no one can sail, so SSS members are reading this forum with itchy fingers. Remember that, before Robin Knox-Johnson left for his solo circumnavigation, he was interviewed by a psychologist, who announced him “distressingly normal”. So you can never really tell.
Here’s another image for those of you who would like to be psycho-analyzed by singlehanded sailors. What do YOU see?

DaveH
01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
a white cup hook

BobJ
01-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Three bears trying to sit on white cup hooks.

Gamayun
01-05-2016, 12:16 PM
No, no. It's three birds sitting on one white cup hook. One facing east, one facing west and one with its back to us.

Distressingly normal. I'd say we're paradoxically saner than most ;)

Dazzler
01-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Turn the picture 90 degrees, then what? Looks to me like a pig with wings and its reflection on water. Title of picture: "When Pigs Fly..."

BobJ
01-05-2016, 02:25 PM
When I do that I get Dumbo seeing his reflection.

Hey, maybe the deeper meaning of the white cup hook is the same as Dumbo's "black feather." It gives you the confidence to do the impossible, like pry open an unsuspecting autopilot and try to fix it!

Daydreamer
01-05-2016, 07:23 PM
That's the new figurehead for Nightmare !!

Gamayun
01-05-2016, 09:16 PM
So now, where did Jackie go...?

BobJ
01-05-2016, 09:28 PM
My recollection is that Jackie grew up with three brothers. This isn't even registering on her radar screen of annoyance.

Critter
01-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Pelvis.

Gamayun
01-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Ha, ha, ha, ha! It's still got legs!

BobJ
01-06-2016, 03:13 PM
The pelvis or this thread?

(I was thinking, "Well duh, Max is a guy - EVERYTHING looks like..." but I decided not to post that.)

Safe to say that the next skipper who wants to give something away on this board will be thinking about whether it's worth it!

Gamayun
01-06-2016, 03:36 PM
The pelvis or this thread?

Yes.

AlanH
01-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Best Thread Ever.

White cup hook, for sure.

skatzman
02-04-2016, 06:46 PM
@ Philpott: thanks, I got it and took it home and it is waiting warmer weather this weekend for bench testing and playing with it. I'll have a grand time with it. And about my boat trailer. It takes a village.

Gamayun
02-04-2016, 10:45 PM
@ Philpott: thanks, I got it and took it home and it is waiting warmer weather this weekend for bench testing and playing with it. I'll have a grand time with it. And about my boat trailer. It takes a village.

Awww, we can't let you off that easy Skatzman. This thread has grown belle gambe. We wanna hear all about the Navico and perhaps the boat trailer. And white cup hooks...don't forget to tell us all about the white cup hook. The village will be waiting on tenterhooks.

BobJ
02-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Steve isn't saying anything about the Navico but here's a photo of his "village" trailer:

Gamayun
02-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Steve isn't saying anything about the Navico but here's a photo of his "village" trailer:

Replete with cup hook, too. Who knew?!

skatzman
02-23-2016, 10:56 AM
One picture worth 1000 villages? The village needs a bike to make beer runs and check out Rosie the Riveteer Park. And a spare tire for the trailer. And extra sails. And baskets of spare parts.... and milk crates of railroad track, and a nice ladder to climb up and down. And jacks and lug nut wrenches. And coat hooks and cup hooks.
Set up the Navico with a power supply and cup hook. Probed, checked fuse(it's good), cleaned contacts. No workee. Jumped 12 volts to the pusher/puller. Works fine and makes a happy gear drive noise. Waved cup hook over it and made magic incantation. No workee. Put it away nice and safe until more ideas. Anyone else want a try on it? Thanks Jackie for providing me wholesome entertainment. SDK

Philpott
02-23-2016, 05:13 PM
One picture worth 1000 villages? The village needs a bike to make beer runs and check out Rosie the Riveteer Park. And a spare tire for the trailer. And extra sails. And baskets of spare parts.... and milk crates of railroad track, and a nice ladder to climb up and down. And jacks and lug nut wrenches. And coat hooks and cup hooks.
Set up the Navico with a power supply and cup hook. Probed, checked fuse(it's good), cleaned contacts. No workee. Jumped 12 volts to the pusher/puller. Works fine and makes a happy gear drive noise. Waved cup hook over it and made magic incantation. No workee. Put it away nice and safe until more ideas. Anyone else want a try on it? Thanks Jackie for providing me wholesome entertainment. SDK

You are welcome, Steve. Next I have a Universal M-15 starter for you. Maybe you have a predilection for engines.