PDA

View Full Version : Transpac History

Philpott
01-14-2016, 12:10 PM
The topic "Old Stuff" didn't seem appropriate, but I don't know how to change post titles and David has enough on his plate. More to follow.

WBChristie
01-14-2016, 05:51 PM
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/1978_Transpac_Program.pdf

Philpott
01-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Concise history of the Club and The Race by Robby Robinson

http://www.wingo.com/sss/tpc/tphist.html

Philpott
01-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Volume 1 No. 1 Official Newsletter of the Singlehanded Sailing Society December 1977. Thank you to Paul Boehmke, who saved all this material.

Philpott
01-14-2016, 10:06 PM
1977 Application for Membership

Harrier
01-17-2016, 01:37 PM
In the blurbs about the first SHTP, I note with interest the limited number of "requirements" facing the contestants. Not much different from "84 except the survey requirement had been added. Some of the 1978 discussion referred to the need of certain requirements to obtain Coast Guard sanctioning.

I have long wondered about the need to satisfy the USCG. What is the basis upon which they can refuse to allow a race to Hawaii? They have always had the power to stop an individual voyager on the basis of opinion that the vessel involved is "manifestly unsafe". I was once asked by a Coast Guard representative if I thought a particular sailboat was up to a voyage to Hawaii, while at the San Diego harbor police dock. I know that one example of the boat had actually crossed the Atlantic, but this one was woefully unprepared, complete with young wife and very young baby! I told the USCG that I wouldn't go in it, but they were the ones that had to decide. I think this all came up because some bystander had called the USCG on these people. Good for him...but we are talking about judgement here! On the point of requiring USCG sanction (correct word?) of the SHTP, I find it odd that they would involve themselves to such a point over an event in which almost none of the contenders could "maintain a full time lookout". I'm surprised that a requirement for radar based proximity alarms on every boat has not yet been imposed. The nearest thing has been a fairly recent AIS detector requirement, and that certainly doesn't cover all vessels with which we might collide. Is the situation the way it is because the SHTP is publicized ahead of time? If 20 singlehanded boats showed up on a Saturday morning and sailed out thru the gate, would anything be thought amiss? I wouldn't think prior "permission" of the USCG would be needed. Where am I thinking wrong?...as if it makes any difference. Fair Winds to all.

pogen
01-17-2016, 03:19 PM
The USCG most definitely has the legal authority to approve and sanction "marine events" like races, regattas, on-water boat shows, etc.

Some people say that singlehanding is by definition in contradiction of COLREGS that demand that an appropriate watch be maintained 24/7. Not me, but some people.

We have AIS receive as a requirement in RRCs now I think.

BobJ
01-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Once again - The only equipment required by the Coast Guard is the basic list required of all vessels in 33 CFR. EPIRB's were added for ocean races after DAISY.

Anything else is dreamed up by the Organizing Authority (in the case of the SHTP, the SSS).

Harrier
01-18-2016, 08:36 AM
As I pointed out, AIS (receive) was a recent (2014) addition to the equipment list. I agree with the "some people" re singlehanding being in contradiction of the COLREGS, but I occasionally do it anyway. My point was only that the USCG apparently doesn't agree. ERGO, singlehanding is NOT in violation per the USCG.
Bob: as to your "once again"...my post was aimed at what I consider a questionable USCG authority re those of us who wish to do singlehanded racing, esp to such distant sites as Kauai. "Weirdos with boats". I have no problems with equipment lists, but, as you will recall, usually want to know rationale for additions to an already large list, in comparison to the "early days". Just trying to stir up interest in the "sport"....Oh, by the way, does adding a requirement to attend some offshore racing seminars to qualify for the SHTP eliminate the requirement for a 400 mile "qualifier"? I'm sure I know the answer, but if not, why not? Sail safe, y'all.

sleddog
01-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Hi Jackie,
Hola from Yelapa. Wonder if anyone has considered updating the SHTP race results and including 2014? Someone must know how to infiltrate the PDF list. http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-websites/SHTPCombinedResultsThru2012.pdf
~skip

pogen
01-18-2016, 10:54 AM
EPIRB's were added for ocean races after DAISY.

Hard cases make bad law. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_cases_make_bad_law)

And yet, ratcheting up safety requirements every time there is an accident is exactly what we do. This behavior is embedded in our social and legal culture, and I don't think tinkering with the rules of one race is going to change that.

Just my person opinion.

pogen
01-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Hi Jackie,
Hola from Yelapa. Wonder if anyone has considered updating the SHTP race results and including 2014? Someone must know how to infiltrate the PDF list. http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-websites/SHTPCombinedResultsThru2012.pdf
~skip

I asked for some help with this, someone to comb through all the old results and update and rationalize the historical list. Any takers?

BobJ
01-18-2016, 10:59 AM
The editable files are on my desktop at the office waiting for me to get a round tuit - gee, maybe even today!

pogen
01-18-2016, 11:31 AM
See here

http://sfbaysss.org/archive-shtp-websites/

and

http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2014/final-awards/

I think Brian has the .XLS for the 2014 race, I don't have it.

Philpott
05-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Today I spoke with George Sigler. Who is George Sigler?

Well, he is the person who created the Singlehanded Sailing Society back in 1977. Yes, it is true. He sponsored the first Farallones Race and the year after that he sent singlehanded sailors off to Hanalei Bay in the Singlehanded Sailing Society’s first Transatlantic Yacht Race. Then he rode off into the sunset until I tracked him down and called him on the telephone. What a charming man.

A former Navy pilot who served in Vietnam, George is now the owner and CEO of Sky Warrior, an aviator training corporation in Vero Beach, Florida. He is the author of the best survival book I’ve ever read (and I’ve read dozens) Experiment in Survival and he has been invited to join us at the Aloha Luncheon on July 1, 2016. Let’s hope he comes.

sleddog
05-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Wow, Jackie, good find!

When George disappeared into the sunset, he took with him the beautiful SSS perpetual trophy for the 1977 and future Singlehanded Farallones Race. It was a bronze sextant mounted on a mahogany base. I know this because it had WILDFLOWER's name on it. Don't suppose he still has it?
~sleddog

Philpott
05-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Wow, Jackie, good find!

When George disappeared into the sunset, he took with him the beautiful SSS perpetual trophy for the 1977 and future Singlehanded Farallones Race. It was a bronze sextant mounted on a mahogany base. I know this because it had WILDFLOWER's name on it. Don't suppose he still has it?
~sleddog

Dunno but he wants to have a beer with you and asked about Wildflower. He had read that you lost her.

sleddog
05-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Dunno but he wants to have a beer with you and asked about Wildflower. He had read that you lost her.

George Sigler's Safety and Survival Designs shop was a little building at #1 5th Ave., on the waterfront, down by Coast Guard Island. That's where the finish line was for the first SSS Singlehanded Farallone's Race, off the end of his dock.

George did some impressive stuff. With a friend and no other equipment but his safety gear and solar still, he floated in a raft from San Francisco to within 50 miles
of the Big Island of Hawaii before being unwillingly rescued by the CG. This to prove the efficacy of his gear and training.

Equally impressive, George flew his Navy jet off the end of the Alameda Naval Airstation runway, into San Francisco Bay, and lived to tell about it.

I'd buy George a beer any day. Tell us how you found him after all these years.

Philpott
05-19-2016, 06:12 PM
I'd buy George a beer any day. Tell us how you found him after all these years.

I've been looking for him for a couple of years. Called every G Sigler in Texas, but he was in Florida all along! I have a copy of his book and will loan it to you if you promise to pass it on to a singlehander. It is the absolute best.