PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Area SSB Chat Night

AlanH
06-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I propose an SSB chat/test talk for Thursday June 19th at 9:00 PM.

I should have my ground plane finished up on Saturday and it's time to make sure the flippin' thing works. However, I don't really remember the frequencies we use on the TransPac, or have used in past Bay Area chats. Anybody want to chime in? if Thursday doesn't work then Friday the 20th is fine, too.

Was it 8A? bleeeah....:confused:

Alan

PS: I might bug some of you guys at the Cruise In to fire up your SSB's and see if I can talk to you from 400 yards away.

tiger beetle
06-13-2008, 07:23 PM
However, I don't really remember the frequencies we use on the TransPac, or have used in past Bay Area chats. Anybody want to chime in? if Thursday doesn't work then Friday the 20th is fine, too.
The frequencies used in 2006 race are listed in the 2006 communications plan, available from the SSS TransPac archives - links are on the 2008 race page.

PS: I might bug some of you guys at the Cruise In to fire up your SSB's and see if I can talk to you from 400 yards away.

Sure - Beetle will be there, and we can check out the SSB on Ankle Biter.

- rob

BobJ
06-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Here's a quick cut/paste from 2006:

Primary Check-in (short range) 4.021.0
Backup Frequency (short-range) 4.027.0
Primary Check-in (mid range) 6.224.0 (6A)
Backup Frequency (mid range) 6.227.0 (6B)
Primary Check-in (long range) 8.185.0
Backup Frequency (long range) 8.191.0

If possible, I'll motor out to Naval Air and chat with you Thursday night. (There's no use trying to transmit from down in my "hole" at Marina Village.)

Wildflower, are you available to join us?
Will Haulback be under way yet?
To test the 8 band, Nereida?

blighbaum
06-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I may try to listen in on my new Grundig receiver. -- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

brianb
06-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey All,

I just checked out Summer Moon's ssb from my home at 1500' above Los Gatos while she was at the light ship. I have done this numerous times. If you would like I could listen in and log results and/or be available by phone on the seminar calling card phone number. As each boat transmits results could be compared real time by cell phone to every one dialed in.

Let me know if that might help.

Brian
redsky

John Hayward
06-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I will try to be there. Dream Chaser will (very hopefully) be back in the water by then and it's SSB has been checked a lot in actual use.

As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a decision as to frequency. At 9 PM anything above 4 MHz will be iffy generally, but that band should cover Canada to the Mexican border and almost 1000 miles out to sea if the bands are "normal" at that time of night.

John
Dream Chaser

AlanH
06-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I have essentially no experience with this but I propose that we start on the primary check-in short-range channel...4.021 (which is NOT 4A, by the way) at 9:00 PM

...and stay there for 15-20 minutes. Then we move to the primary check-in mid-range, which is 6.224.0, or "6A".

But I'm open to suggestions!

tiger beetle
06-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Alan -

you're talking about 7pm Thursday June 19, yes?

- rob

AlanH
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Alan -

you're talking about 7pm Thursday June 19, yes?

- rob

I'd said 9:00 PM, but it might be a good idea to start at 7:00 for sunlight/atmospheric conditions, yes? Let's move it to 7:00 PM on Thursday June 19th..

Hey All,

I just checked out Summer Moon's ssb from my home at 1500' above Los Gatos while she was at the light ship. I have done this numerous times. If you would like I could listen in and log results and/or be available by phone on the seminar calling card phone number. As each boat transmits results could be compared real time by cell phone to every one dialed in.

Let me know if that might help.

Brian
redsky

You could check who was audible and who wasn't, and post on the forum after we sign off. That'd be easy. I figure if I can talk to and get heard by Brian in Los Gatos, the guys in Alameda, and Dream chaser in Sausalito, then I'll likely be able to talk to folks on the race course.

Jeff Lebesch
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
It would be good for me to jump in on this too but I won't be around on Thursday or Friday, any chance of a repeat on M-T-W July 7-8-9? As a minimum we should also run a test after the Thursday raft-up.

Jeff Lebesch / Hecla

ChrisH
06-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Carroll E in Berkeley will tune in on 4021 as well Thursday, June 19 @ 1900.

Thanks,
Chris

AlanH
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
It would be good for me to jump in on this too but I won't be around on Thursday or Friday, any chance of a repeat on M-T-W July 7-8-9? As a minimum we should also run a test after the Thursday raft-up.

Jeff Lebesch / Hecla

Monday the 7th is the next SHTP seminar, I believe, so that won't work but Tuesday the 8th would be good. Sunday the 6th would be even better since it gives folks a couple of days to fix something if it doesn't work. The 8th and 9th are getting pretty darned tight on time if someone has to fix anything significant with their setup.

Can you be here on Sunday the 6th?

Trying a test while we're all tied up in the CYC basin is better than nothing but it really doesn't mean much because we're so close together that ANY signal getting off the boat will be audible. Now, if someone wanted to fire up their SSB at their slip at a pre-set time on Friday the 10th, and they were berthed someplace at least a few miles away, that would be valuable.

Paul Elliott
06-19-2008, 01:15 AM
VALIS is the Pac Cup Comm boat this year, and we will be on the water this weekend for a shakedown -- including SSB radio checks. We are planning to do some sending and receiving starting around 11:00AM PDT Saturday (June 21). If you would like a radio check, try giving us a shout on 4A. We will be on S.F. Bay, or possibly just offshore by then.

-Paul Elliott
S/V VALIS - WDB2898

AlanH
06-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Tonights chat was very useful.

Thanks to Bob on Ragtime for being the central check-point!

Alchera, Ragtime, Sparky, Caroll E and Ankle Biter all chimed in.

BobJ
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes, thanks to all.

Tom, Brian, John (if in the water), were you able to hear any of it?

I was able to hear Wildflower a bit and he could hear me well, down in Santa Cruz. I think anchoring out in the Bay helped a lot.

FWIW, I took apart the ground plane attachment to the keelbolt, wire-brushed everything and resprayed with (can't remember - anticorrosion goop) then put it back together with no washers between the copper and the nut on the keelbolt. It seemed to me that the most metal-to-metal contact is between the threads on the nut and the keelbolt itself. If the washers are uber-clean that's fine, but I think I have better contact putting the copper directly against the nut.

All voodoo science, that. The satphone comes next Thursday!

John Hayward
06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

Sorry I didn't make it. Boat was still on the hard, and I was sleeping on a neighbors boat. I am back on board now and in the water but still haven't connected the lead to the insulated backstay. Sounds like you had good participation even without me.

John
Dream Chaser

PS. 5:43 PM and still 95 degrees inside the cabin in Sausalito!! What gives???

blighbaum
06-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately I didn't get to listen in. I was on the road, driving to N. Cal.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Jeff Lebesch
06-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Monday the 7th is the next SHTP seminar, I believe, so that won't work but Tuesday the 8th would be good. Sunday the 6th would be even better since it gives folks a couple of days to fix something if it doesn't work. The 8th and 9th are getting pretty darned tight on time if someone has to fix anything significant with their setup.

Can you be here on Sunday the 6th?

Yes, I can manage Sunday. I will also try to get a professional to check over my system (proper dillegence for a comm boat). It worked great on the LongPac, but then we were never as far apart as we will be on this event.

Jeff / Hecla

John Hayward
06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I should be on board Sunday too and can participate now that I am back in the water.

John
Dream Chaser

Eyrie
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Any particular time you're taking about on Sunday? The RC plans to have a receiver in Hanalei so we can listen in at the evening tree gatherings. It would be good for us to test along with y'all.

Synthia/Eyrie

AlanH
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Any particular time you're taking about on Sunday? The RC plans to have a receiver in Hanalei so we can listen in at the evening tree gatherings. It would be good for us to test along with y'all.

Synthia/Eyrie

Let's call it 7:00 PM, like last time.

Deep6
07-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I should have everything ready to test next week, or sunday if I get the radio from Brian. What time are people thinking on sunday / or other days?

Rich---

AlanH
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I should have everything ready to test next week, or sunday if I get the radio from Brian. What time are people thinking on sunday / or other days?

Rich---

7:00 PM

FREQUENCIES
Primary Check-in (short range) 4.021.0
Backup Frequency (short-range) 4.027.0
Primary Check-in (mid range) 6.224.0 (6A)
Backup Frequency (mid range) 6.227.0 (6B)
Primary Check-in (long range) 8.185.0
Backup Frequency (long range) 8.191.0

Let's start on 4.021 around 7:00. Sometime around 7:15 or 7:20 we'll probably move to 6.224 (6A) Sometime around 7:35 or 7:40 we'll probably move to 8.185, and then wrap it up a little before 8:00. That's' how it went last time.

Jeff Lebesch
07-04-2008, 10:42 AM
7:00 PM

Let's start on 4.021 around 7:00. Sometime around 7:15 or 7:20 we'll probably move to 6.224 (6A) Sometime around 7:35 or 7:40 we'll probably move to 8.185, and then wrap it up a little before 8:00. That's' how it went last time.

Sounds like a plan, I will be on. Are these frequencies confirmed for the comm plan, or still left over from last time?

Jeff / Hecla

tiger beetle
07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Are these frequencies confirmed for the comm plan, or still left over from last time?

The comm plan will call out the 4MHz and 8MHz frequencies, and not the 6MHz as 6MHz proved unnecessary in 2006.

- rob

blighbaum
07-06-2008, 09:46 PM
I listened to tonight's radio check in with my little Grundig G5 receiver and whip antenna. I was able to hear Carole E, Ankle Biter, Polar Bear, Haulback, and Feolena well, and Dogbark faintly. Apparently I was the only one who could hear Feolena, as nobody answered his calls. I was in Belvedere, with Mount Tiburon on one side and Belvedere Island on the other.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

AlanH
07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I listened to tonight's radio check in with my little Grundig G5 receiver and whip antenna. I was able to hear Carole E, Ankle Biter, Polar Bear, Haulback, and Feolena well, and Dogbark faintly. Apparently I was the only one who could hear Feolena, as nobody answered his calls. I was in Belvedere, with Mount Tiburon on one side and Belvedere Island on the other.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Yay!......

I will also fire up the SSB for a few minutes tomorrow night (the 8th) at 7:00 in case Sparky or Feolena want to try again.

AlanH
07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
We'll have one more chat tonight at 7:00, starting on the 4 meter band, if anybody wants to check in.

tiger beetle
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
We'll have one more chat tonight at 7:00, starting on the 4 meter band, if anybody wants to check in.

I will try to remember this time! The last several check-ins I've managed to be working on the fuel system and didn't realize the time until several hours later.

- rob

tiger beetle
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I will try to remember this time! The last several check-ins I've managed to be working on the fuel system and didn't realize the time until several hours later.

- rob

Didn't make it last night, I was reinspecting Dogbark.

- rob