PDA

View Full Version : "Alone Together" -- Singlehanded to Hawaii and Return

Christian
03-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Today is publication day for "Alone together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond", available at Amazon. http://geni.us/1S3g

Here's the "book trailer" on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY3GFaHwRAA

Can you stand seeing Hodges, Boschma and Cline lying around in the sun? Have they lost all competitive instinct? Will they be easy to beat now that they have been exposed to the corrupt cruising experience? This book may not tell you anything about changing spinnakers at midnight, or how to stay in the squall as long as possible, or whether 1/8th Spectra halyards will save weight if you toughen your hands in a bucket of sand, but it will school you in sloth and warm cocktails, and illustrate stupid mistakes such as not having a way to climb the mast if, oops, the halyard goes up without the sail.

From the Amazon Author Page:

In 15 years at The Washington Post Christian Williams served as arts editor of the Style Section, feature writer and reporter on the investigative unit. In 1987 he moved to Los Angeles to write and produce television programs from "Hill Street Blues" to "Six Feet Under." He is the author of "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way," a biography of Ted Turner (Times Books, 1981) and "Alone Together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond" (East Wind Press, 2016). Williams has four children and lives in Pacific Palisades, CA, with his spouse, Tracy Olmstead Williams.

What prompted you to write "Alone Together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond"?
CW: People had a lot of questions about being alone that long. I think they expected me to go nuts. My video on YouTube sort of stirred the pot.
Did you 'go nuts'?
CW: Let's say the experience wasn't what I expected at all. There are always voices
with you. It's never alone inside your head.
You have said you worried more about that than 6,000 miles across the Pacific and back.
CW: Singlehanded sailing is challenging, and nobody likes gales and hurricanes. But that you can prepare for. All the famous singlehanders wrote books, Slocum and Chichester and the rest. They were heroes to me. But you never know how you'll do out there.
How did you prepare for being alone?
CW: I read up on astronauts and medical studies and people like Reinhold Messner, who climbed Everest alone. I was expecting sensory deprivation, I think. But it wasn't like that.
What was it like?
CW: I was a failure at being alone. It just never happened.
Explain that.
CW: I can't. It's the question of who are we. Are we somebody distinct, or are we a part of everybody? That question never comes up ashore, among people. We're overconnected nowadays.
You mean, turn off the cell phone?
CW: We're just never alone. Not from when we're born till we die. We become feedback.
So is this book about a mystical experience?
CW: Not at all. Sailing a boat alone is a 24-hour job, you have to eat and try to sleep, you have the concerns of sinking and storms, there's plenty to worry about. It's less mystical than watching TV, where every commercial makes you wonder why you're wasting your life sitting there.
Did you come back changed?
CW: I think being alone for a while helps you understand where you fit in. Everybody wants to know the answer to that.

pogen
03-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Interesting -- I don't think you did this as part of the Singlehanded Transpac race though? I couldn't find your name on the list.

What year did you do this voyage in?

Christian
03-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Year 2014. I didn't race. I was more like a barnacle picked up by some of the contestants in Nawiliwili harbor.

Now if you guys would merely have two race starting points, one from LA or SD and the other from SF, with handicapped starts, some of us might not have to sail north as in "Two Years Before the Mast."

I'm sure that can of worms has never opened before....

Christian
04-08-2016, 11:34 AM
I just read Michael Jefferson's excellent article on the sail back from Kaua'i. Allow me to make a pitch for a $15 rattle siphon for transferring fuel from jugs to tank. Works like a dream.

If you have not sailed back, or perhaps if this is the first solo sail there, I suggest reading my book, because that's what it's about.

There are not many books--Andrew Evans' is one--on this particular topic and route. http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/SinglehandedTipsThirdEdition.pdf

"Alone together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Return" by Christian Williams, on Amazon.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY3GFaHwRAA