PDA

View Full Version : Belt Buckles

Eyrie
06-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Should belt buckles be awarded to all skippers that make it to Hanalei Bay or only those that complete the race? :confused:

Should belt buckles be available for sale to previous racers that competed before the tradition of awarding belt buckles began? :confused:

your race chair

Phil MacFarlane
06-14-2008, 10:16 PM
#1 On the front page it says "only one way to earn one of these" I always took that to mean complete the race.

#2 Has this come up?

John Hayward
06-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree with Phil 100%

John
Dream Chaser

Eyrie
06-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Should belt buckles be available for sale to previous racers that competed before the tradition of awarding belt buckles began?

#2 Has this come up?

Hey Sail A Vie, long time no hear from, welcome back!

Yes, I got an email last week:
"Synthia - I was in the first Single-Handed Transpac in 1978 with my <boat>. I finished in <#> days and some hours for <#>place on elapsed time. Great experience, great people, great pictures, memories, etc. but no cool belt buckle like the one you are holding on the SSS web site.
Can I buy one?"

Synthia/Eyrie

John Hayward
06-15-2008, 10:47 AM
If it can be verified that he was finished, I would vote that he should be able to buy one. They are cool remembrances. Not sure he or she should have to do it again to get one (but it would be a good excuse).

John
Dream Chaser

Ergo
06-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Question #1: I think a skipper should have to successfully finish the race to get a buckle. That raises the related question about boats that finish the race after the 21-day limit. If they are classified as "finished, but not scored" I think they should get a buckle.

Question #2: If the skipper can document his/her finish I think a buckle should be awarded.

Bill Merrick