PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Transpac Cruise-In to Oakland Yacht Club guest dock

Philpott
04-06-2016, 10:42 AM
What is the 2016 Transpac Cruise-In?
Brian Boschma describes it as a “Meet and Greet”.

2016 Transpac sailors are invited to sail in with their boats to the Oakland Yacht Club Guest dock on Saturday April 16 and stay overnight until Sunday April 17.

This is the 20th Biennial Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race. Members of the Singlehanded Sailing Society are invited to join this year’s crop of singlehanded sailors who are preparing to cross the Pacific Ocean from San Francisco to Hanalei Bay in small boats. Who does that? Crazies, huh?

Maybe you are interested in coming to see what a true seaworthy boat looks like. Maybe you just want to come on over to share the excitement of the preparation.

And maybe, just maybe you are a Buglighter yourself who is willing to offer advice or assistance. Well, your experience and advice is welcome, so please join us!

Questions? Post here or email
Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com

Gamayun
04-06-2016, 10:51 AM
If my boat is out of the boat yard, and the mast installed, and the sails hanked on again, and I have any time left before I leave for the Philippines on the 18th, then I'll plan to cruise over, BUT I am definitely not going to make the TransPac this year. No way I can finish all the work on the boat. I also took on another client who expects me to actually do work for them and not sail away for weeks at a time...sheez.

So this is my official drop out notice. I'm bummed, but now I know what needs to done for 2018!

Daydreamer
04-06-2016, 12:16 PM
So, the 16th is also the OYRA Lightship race.

I am doing the race and would like to attend the cruise as well to check out the Buglighter's setups, since I am planning for 2018.

Do I need to make reservations with EncinalYC ?, Is there valet parking?, Do I need to bring a dish to share ?

Should be fun !!

DaveH
04-06-2016, 03:27 PM
So, the 16th is also the OYRA Duxbury / Lightship race.

I am doing the race and would like to attend the cruise as well to check out the Buglighter's setups, since I am planning for 2018.

Do I need to make reservations with EncinalYC ?, Is there valet parking?, Do I need to bring a dish to share ?

Should be fun !!

Hi Greg -
Saturday the 16th is just the lightbucket, though you're welcome to visit Dux on the way :D
I'm also heading out and back that day as well, so I'll be late for the dance at OAKLAND YC, but I'll be there.
don't thinks we need reservations...
DH

mike cunningham
04-06-2016, 04:15 PM
I will be there and will be lobbying for a new SHTP trophy called

"The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy"

alternatively and less impressively "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually tried to make it to Hawaii trophy"

Lest you think this implies a excessive tolerance of risk, I am headed into the yard after the cruise in to have all sorts of important crap accomplished on my boat. So when you see me on Saturday please do not think "he's actually going to try to sail that heap to Hawaii?".

I have a plan.

Philpott
04-06-2016, 10:50 PM
So, the 16th is also the OYRA Duxbury / Lightship race. I am doing the race and would like to attend the cruise as well to check out the Buglighter's setups, since I am planning for 2018. Do I need to make reservations with EncinalYC ?, Is there valet parking?, Do I need to bring a dish to share ?
Should be fun !!

Greg, what good questions. We have been invited to stay at the Oakland Yacht Club, not the Encinal. The Encinal is hosting 200+ youth sailors on April 16, so when you sail down the estuary you will see hundreds of children on boats. Don’t go there.

The Oakland Yacht Club is just before Encinal. Its 160’ long Guest Dock is between gates 2 and 3.

Will there be valet parking? Hehe. That’s a good one.

Should you bring a dish to share? I thought you were coming from the Lightship Race. What will that dish look like after a long day offshore on Nightmare? What will it taste like?

The Oakland Yacht Club has been good to us. Its members host our Skippers’ meetings, our Awards Ceremonies and our Transpac Seminars. We have been invited to stay overnight at its large guest dock gratis. That means we don’t have to pay for the privilege. In return, please consider eating at the Oakland Yacht Club while you are tied up at its guest dock. Lunch will be served from noon until 3 pm on Saturday, Dinner from 5:30 – 8pm, and Brunch on Sunday from 9 am – 1pm. The bar will be open during those times, too.

It has been impressed upon me that the most important thing to remember is DON’T BLOCK THE SLIPS IMMEDIATELY OPPOSITE THE GUEST DOCK. If members cannot get their boats into and out of their slips they will not like that at all. I have explained to Management that SSS members are, without exception, classy people who exhibit nothing but civil behavior [sigh]. And they are also excellent sailors.

One last detail. A key card is needed for ingress and egress to the docks. That means you need a key card to get in and out. One key card has been made available to the entire SSS membership. It will be on a Blue Lake Tahoe lanyard. Please guard it well and use it with that Corinthian spirit in mind.

Daydreamer
04-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Whew!

Am I glad someone, everyone? is paying attention.

Otherwise I could end up somewhere east of Bakersfield!

So, I won't go to Duxbury before the Lightbucket, and I will go to Oakland YC after the race.
I'll plan on dinner there since any dish I might bring along Nightmare will probably wind up more reminiscent of jellyfish;)

Shad Lemke
04-07-2016, 08:28 PM
I will be there and will be lobbying for a new SHTP trophy called

"The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy"

alternatively and less impressively "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually tried to make it to Hawaii trophy"

Lest you think this implies a excessive tolerance of risk, I am headed into the yard after the cruise in to have all sorts of important crap accomplished on my boat. So when you see me on Saturday please do not think "he's actually going to try to sail that heap to Hawaii?".

I have a plan.

Mike,

You will have some stiff competition, as I am campaigning for "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy". But as of today we are R-86 days, I am relying on every day, pretty soon I'll be counting the hours. I am glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way.....

....But I have a Plan...

Philpott
04-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Mike, You will have some stiff competition, as I am campaigning for "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy". But as of today we are R-86 days, I am relying on every day, pretty soon I'll be counting the hours. I am glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way..... ....But I have a Plan...

Maybe we need to plan for many more trophies with even more imaginative names. Love that Tenacious Award. The average length boat in this race is 31 feet with few exceptions.

pogen
04-08-2016, 11:08 AM
This could be a chance to do the VHF radio testing, which had been proposed some months ago but only one or two people expressed interest.

What would be needed is

1. A bunch of boats docked/anchored fairly close together, with someone aboard to operate the radio(s)

2. A person to sit with the receiver at least a couple of hundred yards away. They would need maybe a table and 120VAC power.

3. Coordination

There have been hundreds of thousands of computer keystrokes expended on discussions of what constitutes a good radio installation; here is a chance to get some real data on real boats of our fleet.

The original thread proposing the test is here: http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1516-VHF-radio-antenna-testing
Here is the first post from that thread:

After some discussion at a recent meeting, and some weirdness I saw with VHF and AIS during the LongPac, I started to think about how to test my VHF installation.

Fortunately at my workplace I found an old school RF spectrum analyzer and something even neater, a broad band biconic antenna, all nicely 50 ohm.

I tested them with my VHF handheld, and saw tons of signal, and when you talk you can see the structure in the spectrum. When you key the mic on but don't talk, you just see the carrier. In this case on Ch 69, the carrier is at 156.475 MHz.

I don't know if I would trust the absolute calibration, but one idea might be for several boats moored close together to do a comparison test transmitting to the person with the receiver gear on shore about 0.5 - 1 nm away to see how much power is coming through. Maybe after the season, or during the cruise-out to Sequoia YC in the fall. I will borrow the gear. I'm not sure how to pull data off it other than making notes on paper or taking photos of the screen. But if you are uncertain about your installation, this should distinguish sheep from goats.

Any interest?

1046 1047

Gamayun
04-08-2016, 11:52 AM
I would definitely like to participate in a VHF radio test, assuming my mast is back on. I upgraded to LMR 400 UF and tested it during the installation. It seems solid (yea, Mike J helped so I feel pretty confident about those soldered PL 259 connectors, too). I still need to run new cable to the nav station.

dhusselman
04-09-2016, 03:29 PM
This could be a chance to do the VHF radio testing, which had been proposed some months ago but only one or two people expressed interest.

What would be needed is

1. A bunch of boats docked/anchored fairly close together, with someone aboard to operate the radio(s)

2. A person to sit with the receiver at least a couple of hundred yards away. They would need maybe a table and 120VAC power.

3. Coordination

There have been hundreds of thousands of computer keystrokes expended on discussions of what constitutes a good radio installation; here is a chance to get some real data on real boats of our fleet.

The original thread proposing the test is here: http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1516-VHF-radio-antenna-testing
Here is the first post from that thread:

Great idea to do that on Saturday! I'm in..

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

DaveH
04-09-2016, 06:00 PM
count me in for the radio test...
I imagine the balcony set up for the OYC race deck would be a place to start for the base station, unless that is too close?
DH

pogen
04-09-2016, 07:35 PM
The idea is to get far enough away so that the distances between the boats is dwarfed by the range. I will see if I can use the office at Grand Marina. You would also need to be many many wavelengths away to avoid near field effects, 150MHz wavelength is about 2 meters, so doing a test in the lab like in the picture is not very valid.

Since I really want to know the performance of my own boat, I would ask for a helper to either conduct the measurement (prior experience with an RF spectrum analyzer would be needed) or for someone to operate the radio on my boat while I'm taking the data...

The results will be relative only. So if say, Mouton Noir has a carrier signal strength of -18 dBm or whatever and he is the best, then the others might said to have a signal power of MN - 4 dB or whatever they are. I hope there is no racing going on on Ch 69 or 72, as will will be hogging the frequency for a while...

Philpott
04-10-2016, 02:56 PM
UPDATE

2016 Transpac sailors are invited to sail in to the Oakland Yacht Club Guest dock on Saturday April 16 and stay overnight until Sunday April 17.

Just a heads up: A number of people have asked whether they can sail their own boats over to the Oakland Yacht Club even if they are not doing the Transpac this year. While that sounds like A LOT OF FUN, space is limited and it would not be good if 2016 Transpac sailors arrive to find a festive atmosphere but no room for their boats.

So please, consider leaving your own boat in its slip then drive or walk over to the Oakland Yacht Club’s guest dock. Should be fun.

Gregs
04-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Here is the plan SH OYRA lightship then going all the way to Oakland Yacht Club Guest dock. See you all there!

brianb
04-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I am proposing a new race, and we need a trophy ready at the cruise in: Fastest elapsed time from the finish of the DH Lightship to the guest dock at OYC.

Philpott
04-14-2016, 08:58 PM
I am proposing a new race, and we need a trophy ready at the cruise in: Fastest elapsed time from the finish of the DH Lightship to the guest dock at OYC.

Of course! And we need music. Who has external or bluetooth speakers?

Lanikai
04-15-2016, 11:08 AM
I may be at Marina Village for some period this weekend and might enjoy looky-looing at all the SHTP boats, and their bug-lit captains, and maybe participating/helping with any VHF testing. If any loosely formalized schedule develops, might be neat to see it communicated here or elsewhere (with that elsewhere being communicated here).

BobJ
04-20-2016, 08:43 AM
When the Race Kahuna talks, everybody listens. Except for Jonathan.

Jonathan eats his tater-tots. As they say, "More to come."

Philpott
04-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Lots of productive work occurred at the Cruise-In

BobJ
04-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Greg describes the mermaid to a skeptical crowd:

BobJ
04-20-2016, 10:01 AM
The SHTP Class of 2016 was well-represented at the Cruise Out/In: DOMINO, FOXXFYRE, JACQUELINE, LIBRA, OWL, SEAZED ASSET, TAZ!!, TEMERITY and TIJD were in attendance.

Past and future SHTP'ers included DURA MATER, NIGHTMARE, RAINBOW, RAGTIME!, RED SKY, STINK EYE and WILDFLOWER. It was great to see all of you!

Thanks to Jackie for organizing the thing and to Oakland Yacht Club for being a welcoming host (once again).

P.S. - It occurs to me the above was mostly Sunday's crowd - did I miss anyone?

hodgmo
04-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Nice write up in 'lectronic: http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2016-04-20#Story4

pogen
04-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Nice write up in 'lectronic: http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2016-04-20#Story4

Nice writeup, thanks to Christine!

Now all we have to do is organize a "Crew Day" like they do in St. Barts, and have all the young cuties that work for us get a chance to frolic in the sun as a break from swabbing decks and mixing drinks!

Philpott
04-20-2016, 06:28 PM
and have all the young cuties that work for us get a chance to frolic in the sun as a break from swabbing decks and mixing drinks!

My thoughts exactly, Kahuna.

oldensloh
04-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Nice writeup in Latitude 38! Instead of showing up, I installed my new electronics. My calendar shows 72 days until the start of the race, so I need to stay on the job.

Tom
Shaman, Cal 40 #66